Appalling state of the monorail cabins

lazyboy97o

I could see bus service to the Magic Kingdom being added the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian (the Contemporary would also not completely surprise me) while the monorails remain in operation.

willtravel

I hate to say it, but I've also thought this for awhile myself. Eventually there will come a time when the cost to maintain the aging system will become too high for TDO's liking and it will be cheaper to just get rid of it. I still think we're a long way from that, but I'd be surprised if it's still there in another 20 years. I hope I'm wrong.
20years? I won't care by then....:hilarious:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Which "refurb" changed Chuck to a mouse? When Nolan Bushnell created him he was a Rat.
Yes. A Rat from New Jersey. He's still from New Jersey, but he's a mouse.

This change occured in 1998, officially. Here's the history.

1977 Bushnell founded Chuck E. Cheese

1980 Showbiz Pizza Time, Inc. was founded by Robert Brock (hotel magnet) because many people wanted to
open Chuck E. Cheese's, but didn't like Bushnell's franchising concepts (heavy handed)

1984 Bushnell had run CEC into the ground. It filed Chapter 11, and the assets were purchased by Showbiz Pizza Time, Inc.

1986 New Leadership with Dick Frank

1990 Showbiz Pizza Time, Inc. went public on the NASDAQ as SHBZ. They proposed a "Concept Unification" meant that, after market studies showed that the CEC Brand was more popular, even in areas that had Showbiz, it was better to rebrand everything to that name and group of characters. In addition, it meant that all ties with the animetronics company (Creative Engineering), who originally had a 20% stake in CEC under Bushnell, could be severed. This rebranding took several years, ending around 1996.

1998 The company moved from the NASDAQ to the NYSE and changed it's name to CEC Entertainment, Inc. THIS was when it was decided that rebranding Chuck to a Mouse was to be done. They felt that "Rat" held a negative connotation, so, he became a mouse. The character went through a redesign, from stage to walk around, as a result.

Around this time, a Cartoon Q study found that among children 6-8, Chuck E. Cheese ranks
among the top 4 percent of favorite characters ahead of Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald, The Flintstones, Barbie and Snoopy.

That's right. CEC was more likable than Mickey Mouse (to the kids surveyed).

CDavid

Yep. The original beams will not last forever. At some point all those beams will need replacing...nevermind the troubling condition of the current fleet. I don't really see TDO being commited enough to replacing beams along the original loop...much less the Epcot line.

We don't, however, know if that point will be reached within the lifetime of anyone reading these words. Plenty of rail and highway bridges well over 100 years old and still carrying traffic, but at the other extreme, many interstate highway overpasses were designed for just a 20-year lifespan (cheaper that way). We don't know how well the Disney monorail stuctures were designed; A great deal depends on maintenance to make things last, which Disney tends to neglect (you'll note there is always work on a highway overpass somewhere, again, because they weren't built to last).

Anyone ever heard a lifespan estimate for the monorail beams? I haven't, but I'm very curious.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No, can't say I recall that.

Nope...worse things. Think pointy items that should be disposed of in a special manner and used items made out of latex.

Those...were surprisingly common.
Aww c'mon...surely you jest. Why would kids have those?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Aww c'mon...surely you jest. Why would kids have those?
I don't jest. For the record, adults were allowed in the pits as well (and still are).

It wasn't every day...maybe a few times a year, but it happened often enough that it was decided that liability, combined with the general issue of keeping the pits clean, was enough to force an investment to refurb all the stores systemwide.

It really depended on the store.

I was a cleaner for a while...my job was to go to the worst stores and "clean them up"...I did this before moving to corporate training. So, I've seen the some of the worst of the worst (like the store that got shot up by a drive by and had scars in the ceiling tiles from where bullets grazed through the showroom on a saturday morning, or the gun I found hidden in a paper bag under the dumpster (same store, actually), kids crawling out of the tubes covered in feces, parents fighting, the kid who decided to hijack the tubes and threaten other kids with a knife...list goes on...

They may sound fantastic, but they are not. Oh, the stories I could tell. :p

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Anyone ever heard a lifespan estimate for the monorail beams? I haven't, but I'm very curious.

According to a former VP of The Monorail Society, the original guideway has a 50 year cure which will then start to degrade and eventually need to be replaced. I don't know how accurate this is nor do I know a whole lot about the lifespan or degradation of concrete. This gentlemen knew the WDW system inside and out as he was also a monorail pilot at WDW for years so I'm just passing on what he stated.

Perhaps a few others on here who know more about the subject can chime in on this one.

Cesar R M

According to a former VP of The Monorail Society, the original guideway has a 50 year cure which will then start to degrade and eventually need to be replaced. I don't know how accurate this is nor do I know a whole lot about the lifespan or degradation of concrete. This gentlemen knew the WDW system inside and out as he was also a monorail pilot at WDW for years so I'm just passing on what he stated.

Perhaps a few others on here who know more about the subject can chime in on this one.
maybe they are waiting for that moment to replace everything?
better to just cut down maintenance, let it fall down, and rebuild with newer more proven and cheaper tech.

I wonder how much energy needs the monorail to keep each train moving.

Clever Name

That cheaper technology is called a bus.
I expect the next significant transportation improvement at WDW to be automated buses. They'll have traffic lanes dedicated exclusively to the buses and will run based upon passenger demand. It will be easy and inexpensive to expand the system as needed to service all areas on property. It will be a vast improvement over the monorail system.

Cesar R M

That cheaper technology is called a bus.
but a bus doesnt have anything "magical".

I expect the next significant transportation improvement at WDW to be automated buses. They'll have traffic lanes dedicated exclusively to the buses and will run based upon passenger demand. It will be easy and inexpensive to expand the system as needed to service all areas on property. It will be a vast improvement over the monorail system.
electrical double (sausage) type buses?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
"Magic" and cost effective typically have a rather strong, inverse relationship. I also question the notion that busses are inherently lacking in "magic."
Some of my most "magical" memories are of the kid falling asleep on me as we rode the bus home after a busy day.

Or then, there was that one night in 2012 when they started playing "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the way back from Magic Kingdom, and I started humming, and then singing under my breath, and then the guy next to me did the same, and by the time we were pulling into the bus stop half the bus was singing along!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't consider the bus depot expansion as evidence that Disney is cooling on the monorails. The previous MK transportation situation, with the monorails and boats, was utterly insufficient.

Busses are CHEAP and when they are clapped out they can still be SOLD to some sucker who thinks Disney maintained them well. A monorail - well you have to pay someone to take the old ones away.

What kind of transport do you think TODAY's Disney prefers....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom