Appalling state of the monorail cabins

hpyhnt 1000

^What he said. The current Mark VI trains are fiberglass body panels attached to a steel frame, really no different than todays modern cars. As such, Disney could (probably) reuse the steel frame while putting new body panels and interiors over the existing frame, in the same way auto manufacturers put different car bodies over the same chassis to create different car models. I believe the Mark VII trains at Disneyland were built this way, reusing the frame of the previous Mark Vs.

And to those who admire Tokyo's monorails, note that WDW's infrastructure is not capable of supporting trains like Tokyo's.

lazyboy97o

Really? Didn't know it went back to the Mark IIIs. Thanks for clarifying that.
Yep. I find it sort of interesting as to what constitutes new. Would we say Walt Disney World got new trains if each one had everything but the frames and bodies replaced? To me though the bigger change that I think could help capacity, with a new interior, is rebuilding the stations and changing the doors so that there is level entry.

lazyboy97o

but we're talking about the Monorails of WDW now, right??
The Mark IVs and Mark VIs are the two models that have operated at Walt Disney World. The larger Mark VIs replaced the Mark IVs over several years. Here is a post from last year showing the size difference between two.

The Mark IV's looked sleeker because they were shorter, everyone sat down in four rows of 10 with doors on each side for each row.
WDW%2520Mark%2520IV%252009%2520Interior.jpg

The Mark VI's couldn't be wider or significantly longer (2') to fit through the stations so they grew about a foot taller, removed 20 seats and added hang bars.

Here's a rare picture of Monorail Black in Mark IV (left) and VI (right)
WDW%2520Mark%2520IV%2520%2526%2520VI%252006.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Disney_Resort_Line.jpg

4907985982_b6066dbbf2_o.jpg

DisneylandTrainInterior.jpg

disney-mtr-train-hong-kong-disneyland.jpg

EDIT: And just for kicks...
Tokyo is a painful slap in the face, a reminder that (and 'how' and 'why') 'Disney' was once a byword for 'quality'.

However, in every other aspect besides upkeep and cleanlines WDW's monorail beats Tokyo's! Our trains are sleeker, more futuristic. They also don't need Mickey heads and handles and windows and statues to be 'Disney': WDW's monorail remembers a time when Disney stood for optimism, futurism, experimental innovation, instead of just the a limited 'collection of cartoon ip franchises'. On top, the routes at WDW are much nicer. Seven Seas Lagoon has got 'Tokyo industrial Bay' beat. (Well did, before infinite DVC sprawl, parking places, convention centers, dirty beaches, algae, clutter, bus stations, and no more topiaries)

Bairstow

Tokyo is a painful slap in the face, a reminder that (and 'how' and 'why') 'Disney' was once a byword for 'quality'.

However, in every other aspect besides upkeep and cleanlines WDW's monorail beats Tokyo's! Our trains are sleeker, more futuristic. They also don't need Mickey heads and handles and windows and statues to be 'Disney': WDW's monorail remembers a time when Disney stood for optimism, futurism, experimental innovation, instead of just the a limited 'collection of cartoon ip franchises'. On top, the routes at WDW are much nicer. Seven Seas Lagoon has got 'Tokyo industrial Bay' beat. (Well did, before infinite DVC sprawl, parking places, convention centers, dirty beaches, algae, clutter, bus stations, and no more topiaries)

Agreed.
They might be big and clean, but from the exterior the Tokyo Disney monorails are hideous.

jdmdisney99

I agree. I think they're like that due to the culture though. Japan loves the characters. :shrug:

G00fyDad

I agree. I think they're like that due to the culture though. Japan loves the characters. :shrug:

It wasn't always like that though. When I lived there as a child I did not see Disney outside of the base at all. The things that were big then was Gatchaman, Ultraman, and Hello Kitty. I had a ton of Disney things (record player, phone, etc...), but I loved Disney at the time and we could find the stuff in the BX. When we went off base Disney was nowhere to be found. But then this was back in the 1970's.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

It wasn't always like that though. When I lived there as a child I did not see Disney outside of the base at all. The things that were big then was Gatchaman, Ultraman, and Hello Kitty. I had a ton of Disney things (record player, phone, etc...), but I loved Disney at the time and we could find the stuff in the BX. When we went off base Disney was nowhere to be found. But then this was back in the 1070's.
they got the disney fever a bit late hu?

eastvillage

They did clean the beams inside EPCOT a couple years back, made a big difference looked significantly better. I don't if they considered cleaning the rest of the system.

That's great to hear and goes to show what a huge difference it makes with simple maintenance. I've been going to WDW since the mid-70s and unfortunately haven't been back in the past year to visit, but the monorail beams that loop through the front of Epcot (and provide such a picturesque backdrop for photos) is where I really started to notice it. From there, I couldn't get away from how bad it looked on the journey to/from Epcot (whether you were looking across to the beam running in the other direction or looking up from a car or bus in the road below) as well as the beams that run around the entire MK resort loop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom