Appalling state of the monorail cabins

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Inside of Monorail Lime. Just took a few pictures to show its not just Monorail black with issues. I can understand some wear and tear from strollers and wheelchairs bumping into things but when pieces are falling off, its sad that they cant even secure them back in place. The air intake area was just gross. Cracked and moldy and looked liked it hadnt been cleaned in years. We also rode a different monorail (blue or teal?) and it had the same problems. The last photo is of a sticker we placed inside and we checked back a day later and it had been removed so maybe they do check them overnight but obviously not much more than that. I am going to email these pictures to Disney and see what type of response I get.
20131124_213842.jpg

20131124_213946.jpg

20131124_214134.jpg

20131124_214013.jpg

Attachments

• 20131124_213919.jpg
    20131124_213919.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 85

danpam1024

Disney has clearly learned that they can widen their profit margins by cutting back on cleaning and maintainance yet still see attendance increase. Why on earth would they reverse course on this? Believe me, there will never be any going back to the "old days."
In the end, it is usually cheaper to properly maintain something than having to replace it entirely. Seems EVERYONE should recognize that :confused: Especially when it keeps guests from returning.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Inside of Monorail Lime. Just took a few pictures to show its not just Monorail black with issues. I can understand some wear and tear from strollers and wheelchairs bumping into things but when pieces are falling off, its sad that they cant even secure them back in place. The air intake area was just gross. Cracked and moldy and looked liked it hadnt been cleaned in years. We also rode a different monorail (blue or teal?) and it had the same problems. The last photo is of a sticker we placed inside and we checked back a day later and it had been removed so maybe they do check them overnight but obviously not much more than that. I am going to email these pictures to Disney and see what type of response I get.
View attachment 39934

View attachment 39935

View attachment 39937
View attachment 39938

My machine tools are cleaner than this and they have pumps which spray gallons of slimy coolant on the tools and work. Disgusting.

hpyhnt 1000

Which WDW guests cause mold?

There's no excuse for simply neglecting to clean something.

I agree, but there's also no excuse to on the freshly cleaned surface either.

Both of these points are certainly valid. But at the end of the day, the monorails are property of WDW, and therefore, final responsibility for their upkeep rests with Disney.

I get what you're saying @unkadug, and the people who commit damages should be held responsible. But thats not always possible. Its no different than graffiti on a building or overpass -- it would be nice to find the person who did it and make them fix the damage, but that seldom happens, which means its up to the owner of the property to fix it. And thats the situation Disney finds itself in.

MerlinTheGoat

The monorails have been in this state for many years now. It's not something that just happened suddenly and recently, they have been allowed to remain in this neglected state for a long time. The condition seen in the pics posted in this thread have been that way since at least 2010. I'm certain it has been far longer than that, it's just that 2010 is just my earliest reference point since my previous visit in '97 (my guess is that this like most of the serious maintenance problems began around the time Eisner imposed his infamous maintenance slashes in the early 2000's).

Which WDW guests cause mold?

There's no excuse for simply neglecting to clean something.
Well said. While there are certain cases where guests can be blamed for vandalism, this is simply not one of those cases. Regardless of the behavior of guests, that's not going to stop mold from growing, dirt to accumulate, and paint to peel just from normal wear and tear. A lot of the damage shown in this topic would have happened no matter how badly guests behaved, the problem is not that it happened but that it has yet to be addressed. I most definitely NEVER saw or smelled this kind of filth when I used to visit in the 90's. The state of the monorails upon my return in 2010 was probably my first impression of the bad things to come maintenance-wise after my hiatus since '97.

No one is defending guests acting like filthy classless savages, that obviously happens and there's no excuse for it. But there's also no excuse for Disney enabling and allowing such behavior as well as not fixing and cleaning things that broke years upon years ago. There's also something to be said about practicing the philosophy behind the "broken window" theory. The bar is being set low by Disney first and foremost and guests will logically feel more comfortable with committing bad behavior when the the place's condition already appears to suit such behavior in the first place. I think if Disney took the initiative to fix issues like this, guests would be less likely to vandalize things. Having everything kept in clean and pristine condition would at least make people feel more uncomfortable about wrecking things. And yes I think this applies even to little kids. Lead by example.

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The monorails have been in this state for many years now. It's not something that just happened suddenly and recently, they have been allowed to remain in this neglected state for a long time. The condition seen in the pics posted in this thread have been that way since at least 2010. I'm certain it has been far longer than that, it's just that 2010 is just my earliest reference point since my previous visit in '97 (my guess is that this like most of the serious maintenance problems began around the time Eisner imposed his infamous maintenance slashes in the early 2000's).

Well said. While there are certain cases where guests can be blamed for vandalism, this is simply not one of those cases. Regardless of the behavior of guests, that's not going to stop mold from growing, dirt to accumulate, and paint to peel just from normal wear and tear. A lot of the damage shown in this topic would have happened no matter how badly guests behaved, the problem is not that it happened but that it has yet to be addressed. I most definitely NEVER saw or smelled this kind of filth when I used to visit in the 90's. The state of the monorails upon my return in 2010 was probably my first impression of the bad things to come maintenance-wise after my hiatus since '97.

No one is defending guests acting like filthy classless savages, that obviously happens and there's no excuse for it. But there's also no excuse for Disney enabling and allowing such behavior as well as not fixing and cleaning things that broke years upon years ago. There's also something to be said about practicing the philosophy behind the "broken window" theory. The bar is being set low by Disney first and foremost and guests will logically feel more comfortable with committing bad behavior when the the place's condition already appears to suit such behavior in the first place. I think if Disney took the initiative to fix issues like this, guests would be less likely to vandalize things. Having everything kept in clean and pristine condition would at least make people feel more uncomfortable about wrecking things. And yes I think this applies even to little kids. Lead by example.
very good point on the broken window theory. But have we reached the point of no return? Has it become the equivalent to the St Petersburg theater ?
300px-%D0%A0%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%8B%D0%B5_%D0%BE%D0%BA%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE_%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%2C_%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA%D1%82-%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B3..jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom