Appalling state of the monorail cabins

HouCuseChickie

Kind of interesting to see this thread. I was going through my pics from our September trip and while I don't normally go out of my way to photograph "what's wrong," I just happened to snap this pic from inside a monorail car while I had my camera on continuous mode. It was a random unintended shot, but it definitely stood out after the fact. I don't know- maybe it's nothing...but it certainly jumped out at me when going through my pics.

10062805434_4b57da81c4_c.jpg

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
The monorail trains seriously just need to be completely replaced. Is Disney willing to pump the money in to do so? Probably not, or else they would not have let them get into this kind of disrepair in the first place.

PeterAlt

The monorail trains seriously just need to be completely replaced. Is Disney willing to pump the money in to do so? Probably not, or else they would not have let them get into this kind of disrepair in the first place.
They are being replaced. Another thread here semi-confirmed that the project to replace the system with automated trains is in progress. The electronic infrastructure is currently being installed along the track easements. To complete the process, new trains designed to run on this infrastructure will need to replace the current ones. The current trains replaced older generation ones in the early 90's are the Bombardier Mark VI model. The Las Vegas monorail are automated next generation ones, which I will assume is the model set to replace the current WDW fleet.

Here's what they look like...

image.jpg

lazyboy97o

They are being replaced. Another thread here semi-confirmed that the project to replace the system with automated trains is in progress. The electronic infrastructure is currently being installed along the track easements. To complete the process, new trains designed to run on this infrastructure will need to replace the current ones. The current trains replaced older generation ones in the early 90's are the Bombardier Mark VI model. The Las Vegas monorail are automated next generation ones, which I will assume is the model set to replace the current WDW fleet.

View attachment 39574
There is no need to replace the trains to achieve automation or even prior standards of show.

PeterAlt

There is no need to replace the trains to achieve automation or even prior standards of show.
It costs far less to replace them than to upgrade with a proprietary system and repair and rehabilitate the current fleet. It's like computers. Most of the time it's cheaper to buy a new machine than to upgrade an older one.

lazyboy97o

It costs far less to replace them than to upgrade with a proprietary system and repair and rehabilitate the current fleet. It's like computers. Most of the time it's cheaper to buy a new machine than to upgrade an older one.
Is that why the Mark VIIs are using Mark III chassis and Mark V bodies?

lazyboy97o

That's like saying my new PC is still running on a old Dell monitor... So?
New electronics have and can be added. The interiors have been altered. Nothing points to your persistent fantasies. Especially not trains that would need far more substantial changes than electronics and monitoring infrastructure.

PeterAlt

Two sitting room only trains would not have been sufficient capacity for the expanded Las Vegas Monorail.
Then they would have supplemented the existing fleet, not replaced it.

EDIT - (additional points)

1. Monorail Society reported WDW was buying new trains for automation. This was reported a while ago and quoted the WDW transportation director (who was newly hired at that time).

2. WDW has a history of letting things wear out, if plans were in place to replace it. They did this with Horizons, for example.

3. I really would care less if they replaced it of not, as long as they fix it up and automate it. My "fantasy" is about expanding the system, not replacing the trains. It just so happens that to expand the system, you need to automate it first. To automate it, you need new trains (or waste money "upgrading" the existing ones). It's that simple.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

No. The Mark IVs also lacked standing room, automatic doors and level entry.
Then tell me, which system they will use to upgrade trains for automation. Do they plan on developing their own? If so, it's much cheaper to buy new trains with it already installed.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

Guys, take automaton talk to the thread on that subject. Thanks
Okay. Bottom line to what I was saying and putting my argument back on topic, WDW has a history of letting their property go into disrepair when they know something will be replaced. Case in point, as I mentioned earlier, Horizons. The condition of Horizons near its end was APPALLING!

The reason for the trains' appalling state is because they know the trains will be replaced. Expect the trains' condition only to get worse over time before they're replaced, eventually.

Last edited:

alissafalco

View attachment 39574

How do you know that this is happening? Is this fact or just speculation?

Figment2005

The monorails cosmetic issues this thread address are important, no doubt.

But have you ever stopped to consider that if they maintain the cosmetic stuff this way the monorail mechanical systems, which you can't see, are possibly even worse? I can't wait to see what happens when they try to turn up the automated system.
That actually is not true. The mechanical systems are actually very well maintained, especially since they have to use refurbished parts to replace the worn ones. As a matter of fact teal jist came back from an extensive mechanical refurb.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Tokyo Disney monorail:

2005%2008%2002%20Inside%20Tokyo%20Disneyland%20Monorail.JPG

gallery003.jpg

Disney World used to look like that. The 'Disney' in the name didn't denote cartoon franchises, but a place where everything was spotless, freshly painted, friendly and reassuring.
While I understand that in 2013 East Asia is First World and America is Third World, UNI still manages to have spotless transportation systems. Shiny and clean:

dscn5277.jpg
This may not be news to some, but may be for others - it needs highlighting. The monorail interiors are in a shocking condition.

I didn't go looking for this, just happened to be in a single car with no passengers, and just took a moment to realize just how bad things have become. These photos were taken yesterday on Monorail Black, but the problems can be found on all monorails and in some cases they are a lot worse than these photos.

Just how far is WDW prepared to let the condition go? I routinely go on subway trains in NYC that are in a far better condition than this, and let us not forget, these are the monorails transporting guests from those $2000 per night rooms in the new Grand Floridian Villas.

You're posts certainly compliment one another. Being fortunate to travel DL and WDW when it first opened and taking my kids from the late 80's I was able to experience Disney Parks in the years of pride of pristine condition. Even when bushes in Dixie Landings were trimmed weekly, everything was always in order or attended to timely and promptly. When we would go to Six Flags with young children I was often grossed out wondering when the last time anything was washed down.

I saw the Six Flags type maintenance start to creep into Disney around the new millenium, one early morning when we left my DH and DD sitting in the out door restaurant to ride Rock'n. I looked at the sidewalk, then a different color, between Rock'n & Tower. It was disgusting and the parks were only open a very short time. That trip we noticed the start of neglect like the chipped off painted, bushes that were not trimmed, grass that was longer, rugs that were not clean and so-forth. It took several years for the neglect to become apparent to many and now you have to not look not to see. It was indeed the start of the new mantra Good Enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom