Appalling state of the monorail cabins

flynnibus

Premium Member
Unless the trains wreck again, you're not going to get a news crew interested.

Funny.. simple customer service stories make the news - why not a story about Disney's service failing?

Customer service and Disney's standards are things that the gen pop is familiar with. The 'Decline of Disney' chased with a 'Uni on the Rise..' story could be enough to make a story if people wanted to.

You're not going to get a story over a 'something is broke today' - but when you illustrate how the company OPERATES and how what everyone thought of Disney and what they are doing now... you could. The problem is it would take homework, and filming onsite. Two things a busy news room isn't going to jump on unless they have a personal passion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Perhaps, but from what I saw and have read, the policy of reducing cleaning staffs and budgets began in the mid '90s.
We're 20 years into the trend and no one but the Disney fanatics seem to care.

Hrmm... I guess you missed that whole part where DL went so far downhill it resulted in people dying. You are looking at things with such narrow focus and in isolated patches.

You aren't really looking at what happened during that period to maintain those numbers. Disney is working harder and harder to maintain the status quo or minor growth.

Bairstow

Hrmm... I guess you missed that whole part where DL went so far downhill it resulted in people dying. You are looking at things with such narrow focus and in isolated patches.

You aren't really looking at what happened during that period to maintain those numbers. Disney is working harder and harder to maintain the status quo or minor growth.

Disneyland is different.
It's the "home" park of anyone in Disney Corporate or WDI with any power and frequented by locals and loyal daytrippers who notice and complain when cleaning slides and slack off on trips when the offerings are stale.

Also, don't conflate critical maintenance with cleanliness. The WDW monorails having stained carpet doesn't make them any less safe.

WeekendGM

Is that monorail Black in the OP?
I know it just returned from being repainted after the Iron Man wrap was removed.
If it is Black, I guess that's what a month of sitting out side the paint bay will do to train.
No excuse though, Black returned nearly two weeks ago and should have been cleaned before returning to service.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disneyland is different.
It's the "home" park of anyone in Disney Corporate or WDI with any power and frequented by locals and loyal daytrippers who notice and complain when cleaning slides and slack off on trips when the offerings are stale.

No, it's not different. DL had similar problems, and even worse to a degree. P&R then, as it is now, is ran under the same boss for both coasts. DL under horrible management the park was driven into the ground. It took the leadership of a guy the company thanked by ultimately passing him over and he left the company.

This same trend is what lead to closing of attractions in WDW.. shuttering things and leaving them to rot. You say it's 20yrs and no one has noticed. No, plenty of people noticed.. and some died. Both parks are up from their worst periods.. but to say 'no one noticed' is either being obtuse, or just ignorant of the true history of the parks since the change in philosophy that started in the early 90s.

Don't confuse complacency with oblivious.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It's not just you. In this country, "mass transit" in the mid to late 20th century was mostly old, decrepit, dirty and scary. The WDW Monorail System, especially when it debuted to early 1970's audiences, was a gleaming example of what could happen in the future with our urban mass transit. It was a living dream.

Then by the 1990's, big cities began cleaning up and revamping their aging systems, and mid-sized cities began building new systems. Cutting-edge cities like Portland, Oregon brought back the Streetcar to American cities for the first time in 50 years, and other cities followed Portland's lead in the 2000's. There was a renaissance in mass transit, and a new expectation for how clean and safe and shiny they should be in newly reborn urban cores.

Plan_Streetcar_streetcar2_courtesy_TravelPortland_-1120x896.jpg

The result is that here in the 2010's many WDW visitors have gleaming points of reference from their own hometowns on how clean and shiny a public transport system should look, and how fresh it should smell.

That's basically what has happened here, and TDO being rather provincial people stuck in Orlando their whole lives, doesn't seem to realize that.

I would bet that top execs like Meg Crofton and George Kalogridis haven't been on the WDW Monorail in years. On the rare occasion they visit a park or resort hotel on WDW property, they drive their company Cadillac to the nearest reserved parking spot. We wouldn't want them to have to rub shoulders with all those paying customers and low-level employees out there without a handler and company photographer to protect them! :rolleyes:

Yea I do not know if you tracked this but the LightRail in Norfolk VA was a VERY large Boondoggle from day one. When it was all said and done it only ran from an area in Norfolk people cared about to an area that no one cared about. In order for it to be useful it needs to be tied in with the Va Beach Oceanfront (an area I could personally careless about as Nag's Head does beach the best of anywhere in the country). It also needs to have a tube under the Elizabeth River to tie it to the areas that the commuters come from. Just a bad bad plan with how it was done.

rct247

I'm going to go out on a crazy limb here. On another WDW photo news site, there was some sort of silver floating bridge between Magic Kingdom and Grand Floridian. The new bus stops are almost done outside of Magic Kingdom. What if next year they closed the MK monorails completely for a bit and use the bridge as a walking path alternative for Grand Flo and Poly and then buses & ferryboats for everything else?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm going to go out on a crazy limb here. On another WDW photo news site, there was some sort of silver floating bridge between Magic Kingdom and Grand Floridian. The new bus stops are almost done outside of Magic Kingdom. What if next year they closed the MK monorails completely for a bit and use the bridge as a walking path alternative for Grand Flo and Poly and then buses & ferryboats for everything else?
The only reason to do this would be for major track repair, which to me, would imply that the track itself has structural issues that are not publicly known.

Not impossible, but not very likely. Still, interesting.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Who said he warped anything?
Sometimes putting a mechanism back into alignment requires a good bit of force.
If you have experience with the proper method of repairing and servicing the doors on these particular trains, I stand corrected, but my assumption is that these men know what they're doing.
Never assume...

HM Spectre

Perhaps, but from what I saw and have read, the policy of reducing cleaning staffs and budgets began in the mid '90s.
We're 20 years into the trend and no one but the Disney fanatics seem to care.
Whether it matters or not, Disney's competition hasn't been much better in this regard.

That's because lack of maintenance is something that is more noticeable the longer it goes on.

Look at it like a car. If you don't perform regular maintenance, you'll save money in the short term. However, at some point in the future, you'll also need big repairs and a replacement much faster than if you'd just spent the money to perform the regular upkeep on it to stop the big issues before they happen.

It's not only good show, it's good business practice to keep everything up and running. The issue is that when you have a bunch of suits looking at expenses and regular maintenance is a big line item, they can cut it and go to their boss saying "I saved the company $X/year by going lean on maintenance." In the short term, it looks great. In the long term, it leads to expense in big refurbs and replacements, decreased quality of show and if it gets bad enough, reduced reputation and ticket revenue. Executives are incentivized to make more money in the now much moreso than the future so you can guess which route is taken.

"No one but the Disney fanatics" seem to care yet because it hasn't gotten bad enough. Give it time. At some point, there's always future pain for near-sighted neglect.

Soarin' Over Pgh

This was so great - you should consider publishing it in an additional place, other than page umpteen of a monorail thread. Kudos!!

Agreed- like in Spirit Takes the 5th... we all know there's Official Eyes and Ears (TM) who watch that page and probably ignore the rest of this board.

It was hil-ar-ious!

michmousefan

I very rarely post comments, but I just have to with this thread because it's kind of funny that someone here decided to post photos of something I've been complaining about the last few days. I'm currently at WDW finishing up a week long vacation and have been spending the whole week pointing out all of the things that need to be repaired and/or cleaned, to my husband [and oh, there is SO much!]. I've said "if only I lived in the Orlando area so I could start a blog, document all of these things, and make it so others could post their finds as well to shame Disney and their complete lack of concern!". But alas, I live too far away to do such a thing! Is there anything like this out there? I really wish there was; I would be more than happy to contribute documentation, as I'm sure many of you would too!
Well... I just looked, and it appears that mouseshame.com is available...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I also liked the idea of just posting these pictures to the Walt DIsney World Facebook page. As was stated, yes they would be deleted, but with enough volume of new pictures it would start to be noticed.

As you say.. that page is moderated. They can't moderate twitter search or trend tho. They already have huge money sunk into the TV ads promoting the tag. They can abandon the ads (or modify it..) but the seed is already planted and gives meaning/value to the continued use of it. Plus, it would shame Disney from trying to use twitter again ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom