Appalling state of the monorail cabins

WDWFan_Boston

"Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a gold mine-but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep the park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, If we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money'. But I don't believe in that- it's like any other show on the road. It must be kept clean and fresh."

-Walt Disney

I think this is where people don't understand why some of us are so "down on Disney" right now. I love the original vision of Walt Disney and hate to see those in management (on both coasts) that have missed the genius of the man. I'm a fan of Walt Disney before I'm a fan of Disney. I wish Disney management felt the same way. If they did, the whole resort would look different.

I'm rooting for Disney to get back to what made it so great.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We went to the MK for rope drop several months ago. We boarded the resort monorail but we were way too early for rope drop, so we just rode around the loop for about nine or ten trips. It was hot outside and we decided to stay in the air conditioned comfort of the monorail until it got closer to opening time for the MK.

While riding around the loop, we noticed that one of the monorail doors was not fully closing. At the transportation and ticket center a monorail maintenance technician began to work on the door by repeatedly kicking the door with his foot in an attempt to force the door back into proper alignment. He got it to close but it was still out of alignment. We went around on another loop and when we got back to the T&TC, the same technician was there and now had a piece of lumber (a 2x4 about 3 feet in length) and used that to pry the door into shape.

While all this was going on, another technician was telling the door mechanic that the door latch was not lined up properly and that they needed to override the latch switch. We went around the loop again and back at the T&TC the lead technician (the doorman) opened up a panel on the door and cut then spliced some wires in the door. He used duct tape to splice the wires. After this repair the door was in much better alignment but still slightly warped. On our next loop the technicians were gone from the T&TC but we were thankful that these technicians had the skill to make critical repairs on the fly with improvised tools!
I wouldn't call anything you witnessed "skillful maintenance"...

Bairstow

As opposed to the proper maintenance that doesn't involve brute force and warping of metal supports?

Who said he warped anything?
Sometimes putting a mechanism back into alignment requires a good bit of force.
If you have experience with the proper method of repairing and servicing the doors on these particular trains, I stand corrected, but my assumption is that these men know what they're doing.

WDWFan_Boston

If you have experience with the proper method of repairing and servicing the doors on these particular trains, I stand corrected, but my assumption is that these men know what they're doing.

I understand what you are saying, but that is a dangerous assumption nowadays at WDW unfortunately.

Clever Name

I was impressed with the speed and the results the lead technician exhibited. He reminded me of Bear Grylls as he took full command of the situation. It was apparent to me that he had done this procedure before. He was doing these repairs while the monorail was between stops and passengers were continuing to board and off-board. He knew that time was of the essence.

It reminded me also of a NASCAR pit crew rushing to get the work done but going about the task in a very professional manner.

WDWFan_Boston

I was impressed with the speed and the results the lead technician exhibited. He reminded me of Bear Grylls as he took full command of the situation. It was apparent to me that he had done this procedure before. He was doing these repairs while the monorail was between stops and passengers were continuing to board and off-board. He knew that time was of the essence.

It reminded me also of a NASCAR pit crew rushing to get the work done but going about the task in a very professional manner.

I know exactly what you mean. A normal pit crew can kick off four tires with their feet and install a fresh set by kicking them on in about 15 seconds or so... ;)

What they did may have been pragmatic, but not professional. It goes back to the idea that if routine maintenance was done on the monorail, such actions would not be necessary. The fact that they so quickly jumped in and repeatedly kicked the door to put it back into alignment proves the point so many are making. If a sticky door an unusual occurrence, nobody would have known what to do without proper tools or they wouldn't have been able to act so quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom