Anyone else feel this way?

sbkline

Used to be, I was way too obsessed with Disney. I was constantly thinking about the next trip, planning, etc. It would be on my thoughts all day and evening and I couldn't wait for the next trip to roll around. However, I got to thinking that it was way too much of a priority in my life and I endeavored to start focusing on more important things rather than having WDW being the focus of my life (although I still intend on going every year). Last year, we took our son on his first trip, and he was 3, going on 4. I remember getting home and the thought hitting me that I can't wait to go back again with him, and start planning the next trip. However, as soon as I thought that, I looked at my son and thought "wait a minute, that means he's gonna be a year older, and won't be the same cute little guy that he is right now!". And the same thoughts were bugging me the whole time on our last trip, thinking that one of these days, we're gonna go down there and our kids are gonna be teenagers, and not these cute little children playing with their toys. :cry:

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy going and still plan to go every year, but now I'm at that point where it's hard for me to look forward to the next trip, because the reality hits me that we will all be a year older by then and I don't want to rush my kids through childhood. I just called and booked our rooms for next April, but I don't want to dwell too much on planning that trip because my son is getting ready to graduate preschool this month and looking forward to next April's trip also means that my son will be getting ready to graduate Kindergarten! :cry::cry::cry: I just want him to stay that cute little almost 4 year old that he was when we took him last year, and looking forward to each trip means looking forward to the kids being a year older and that much less little. So ya, I plan to go every year and do the necessary planning that it takes, but it's getting harder and harder for me to really look forward to the trip as it means the kids being a year older as well. Anyone else struggle with this?

bmarkelon

I definitely get what you are saying and sometimes think I should back off a little on our annual trip countdowns. But the thing is, like so many have posted, they grow up so fast anyway...how lucky are we that we are getting to enjoy our Disney trips while they are growing up!? I hear ya on the big step into Kindergarten, I was totally freaking out and emotional about my oldest starting Kindergarten this year....and now I just cannot believe that her first school year is already coming to an end.
I am torn because I am so happy for summer vacation to be coming so I can have all the time with her again but I'm also counting down to our Disney trip in August!! :brick:

Upvote 0

StitchMom84

I SO understand what you're saying and how you're feeling. It seems like it was just a short, short time ago that I stood with my daughther on a sunny September afternoon and watched my DGD walk into her school to begin her kindergarden year. Now she's finishing up her 2nd grade year in a few weeks and already talking about being in the third grade.
I understand that feeling that life is changing and you just want it to slow down abit and savor it just a little longer at the stage that you're at.
However, you little buddy is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing, he's growing, learning and thriving and that's what all of the parenting and love that you've given him so far had done for him
Don't feel bad, embrace each day..even the tough ones ( and yes, sometimes it seems like they're are way too many of those), and know that's it's okay to plan, and look forward, to that next Disney trip with your little guy.
He's going to grow fast anyhow, the time is going to seem to fly anyhow, so why not let it go with those plans and feelings of anticipation for a wonderful trip together?
These Disney memories ( which will include the planning and pre-trip anticipation) all all part of the fabric of this life that is being lived by you..and what better way to sit back in the years to come, and remember it?
Best of life and health and good memories ( hopefully including many Disney memories) to you!

Upvote 0

WDW 3

Since my one and only turned 18 this year with be graduating in a couple weeks I am dreading the day she doesn't want to go with us. Busy with college, or some other lame:rolleyes: reason will break my heart. I know there are threads about feeling guilty about going without kids but mine isn't about guilt as much as sorrow. It'll be really hard to go without her:( then she really will be all grown up.

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

First of all Steve, if you had taken the boy when he was only a lil sack of potatoes, you'd have even MORE memories of him as a cute lil child at Disney. Secondly, get over it. Looking forward to events and dreading them at the same time, throughout the years is a part of life. I remember thinking my oldest was going to say Tyrannasaurous Rex before he said "Mommy", I couldn't wait for the day he called me that! Now, I want to change my name and not tell the kids what it is! I couldn't wait until my oldest started kindergarten, then I missed him while he was at school half a day. I couldn't wait for my youngest to, finally start walking. Then on Mother's Day, when he was 15 months, he did it! Now, I fuss at him for running through the house. I used to dread the day my boys would stop sitting in my lap for me to read them stories. Now, at 9 and 6 they sit in my lap and read me stories. I imagine, they will one day outgrow my lap, but that's what the couch is for, so we can still snuggle close.

This year was a HUGE change for us. My oldest son has a few learning disabilities. He's in a private school that offers no special education. I chose this because I want him to work hard and learn everything he should and I've always been by his side to help him. My youngest started kindergarten. It's only half days, but it's the big K, ya know? Well, my 9 year old ended up not needing my help with his school work much at all this year. Things started clicking for him and he's made mostly A's all year with a smattering of B's! :sohappy: I wrongly assumed he'd always need me to help him study for those tests and help him on a frustrating math problem. Nope! I'm greatful to say he doesn't. I've had to grow as a mother this year and learn to step back and allow him to figure these things out on his own. Now, with summer only 2 and half weeks away, I can't wait! Of course, I say that and mean it whole heartedly right now, but I know that as soon as we get back from our Disney trip in June, I will be counting the days until school starts back in August. :ROFLOL: I truely can't wait to see how my children change and grow over the next year. I realize it means they will be another year older, but it's ok. My exchange for losing my 9 and 6 year olds is the amazement and wonder as they grow through 10 and 7!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Steve, it's perfectly natural to feel the way you do, especially with your first. But we all go through it, and we all survive (wait til he leaves home for college!:cry:) But remember every Disney trip will be special - different of course - but special and unique. Enjoy it and enjoy each day with your kids, they grow up sooo fast!

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Well as many of the other posters here I agree , as far as cherishing those special moments in Disney with your little one or ones.. Been taking our girls before they were one , sometimes fornunate enough to even go twice a year....Every year it it does get better and better . Do I miss bringing the strollers, baby bag, diapers, or pacifier? Um no! I do miss those moments that they get all giggly when seeing a princess( yeah I do that now, and my oldest who was obsessed with Snow white as a toddler now does not care for her :() Or walking around in a princess dress....Although by the end of the day I was the one holding the shoes, tiara, dress....Etc
Now I love that we can walk on any ride and my 7 year old is tall enough for all(except RNR although she insists she's bringing these high sandals when we go in Aug and they will look fine and tall enough to go on RNR....LOL)
We still always visit Mickey and the gang , still bring our Autograph books.....There are those things we still do every trip, no matter what age!
At home we have the countdown going till the next trip and in one of our door ways we have a height mark that we've been doing since both my girls were little., to see what ride they'll be tall enough for.
At home my youngest loves watching old dvd's we made from our trips or looking at old pics, its fun to see how much they do change every year and to listen to their little voices!

To me it does get better every year they get older, not exactly cheaper, but better...

Now when we see a couple with one of those mondo strollers and 3 or 4 kids (little ones) Hubby and I just say "god Bless em"!
Which by the way it seems that 3 or 4 kids, is the norm, well from what we seen anyway, God, mentally and financialy 2 is great for us!
They've grown up with Disney so part of their lives, from babies ages 7 and 10....The memories that we have are priceless and I would never change that for the world

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Yes, I have felt the same way! I remember planning trips a year away and thinking oh my gosh my baby will have turned 6 by then. My babies are still only 5 and 7 but I totally get what you mean. It's not until we become parents that we realize they really do grow up fast. But as everyone else has already stated, every trip is special and unique and I'm enjoying the kids even more now. It's fun to take "big" kids to Disney and hear their thoughts and opinions as we go along. I remember thinking 5 was a big deal too, it hit me hard when my first born turned 5. And just this past trip it dawned on me that I don't have any babies, toddlers, or preschoolers anymore... just kids! But the each trip gets a little better and I feel blessed that I was able to take them when they were young and have those memories of them as little kids in Disney!

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
*pssttt....over here*

Dude, your kids are gonna get older whether you go to Disney or not, so look forward to each trip! :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, my HS years were spent running over to MK and EPCOT constantly with a Florida resident's seasonal pass. And when it wasn't the right season, we'd pull a local and swim in the Contemporary pool and hit the arcade (usually at the Poly because in the mid to late 80's it had the best air hockey tables).

Upvote 0

Disneygal1

My parents started taking me when I was three, and I am now eighteen. I still go to WDW every year. I am still a huge WDW fan. Think of all of the pros of going to Disney with an older child. It's much more nicer not having to go to bed so early and pushing/carrying the little ones everywhere. It may be bitter-sweat, but my parents enjoy WDW just as much now as they did when I was little.

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

I guess I've just been going through a hard time lately with him turning 5 this past Monday. I haven't had any problem with his other birthdays, but this one has really been getting to me. I think it's because too many things are changing all at once. He's 5...he's officially no longer a toddler. He's fixin' to graduate preschool. He's starting Kindergarten this fall which means he won't be home with me on my day off anymore, and for the first time, he'll be moving to a new Sunday School class at church. For the past 5 years, things have been pretty much the same as far as our routine. He goes to Grandma's on Monday and Tuesday. Home with the wife on Wednesday. Babysitter Thursday, and home with me on my day off on Friday. Now he's gonna be going to school fulltime Monday through Friday and I feel like I'm losing my little buddy. Additionally, we've been watching these Disney channel shows pretty much since he was a baby and they're either already cancelled or in their final season (Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc) and he's outgrowing some of his toys and other cartoons he used to watch all the time. So too many things are changing at once and it feels like the end of an era. It's just really been bothering me lately thinking about it, and how it won't be too many years until he'll be too big for me to have him sit in my chair with me and read to him, etc.

So that sadness about watching him grow up too fast translates into me having a hard time looking forward to the next Disney trip, as that represents him being one more year older and one more year grown up. I know it's part of life, but I've just been really struggling with it lately. :(

I can't even imagine. I of course am not in any of the school stages, and my mom watches him-I am so thankful for this-but I can only imagine! The other day it dawned on me that those toddler years are fastly becoming a thing of the past....I look forward to the next stage, but yeah I get a little sad at the thought that he isn't a baby anymore.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
*pssttt....over here*

Dude, your kids are gonna get older whether you go to Disney or not, so look forward to each trip! :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, my HS years were spent running over to MK and EPCOT constantly with a Florida resident's seasonal pass. And when it wasn't the right season, we'd pull a local and swim in the Contemporary pool and hit the arcade (usually at the Poly because in the mid to late 80's it had the best air hockey tables).

Oh no, you did NOT just admit that you swam in a pool that you weren't paying for!

*gets out his whistle and blows as hard as he can* WDW Rule Police, we have a pool hopper over here, come quick!!!!

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
First of all Steve, if you had taken the boy when he was only a lil sack of potatoes, you'd have even MORE memories of him as a cute lil child at Disney. Secondly, get over it.

Wow, a little rude, don't ya think?

However, I still stand by my original opinion, that it is more trouble for everyone involved to take a baby, and I don't regret our decision one bit. Carrying around a child who has no clue what's going on and can't appreciate it and who might be screaming the whole time doesn't sound like a good time to me. When we took our son last year, he was old enough to be excited about things and verbalize his excitement, and to run down the hallway to the elevator to be the first to push the button, etc. Perfect age to take a child for the first time. And for what it's worth, our daughter is turning 2 next month and we left her at home last year and last month as well and we don't regret it at all. She's still in that screaming stage where she gets something in her craw and just screams. It's annoying enough to hear all the way to church, much less all the way from Illinois to Florida, and we're hoping she's out of that stage by next year, because we do plan to take her in April when we go back.

As you can tell, as sad as I am to see our boy grow out of the cute little boy stage, I don't mind seeing our daughter grow just a year or two more until she gets into that same age and out of the screaming stage! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Oh no, you did NOT just admit that you swam in a pool that you weren't paying for!

*gets out his whistle and blows as hard as he can* WDW Rule Police, we have a pool hopper over here, come quick!!!!

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Worse than a pool hopper. A local HS age punk who just drove to the pool and swam. However, during that time, no one seemed to actively discourage such things. Times change.

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

Wow, a little rude, don't ya think?

However, I still stand by my original opinion, that it is more trouble for everyone involved to take a baby, and I don't regret our decision one bit. Carrying around a child who has no clue what's going on and can't appreciate it and who might be screaming the whole time doesn't sound like a good time to me. When we took our son last year, he was old enough to be excited about things and verbalize his excitement, and to run down the hallway to the elevator to be the first to push the button, etc. Perfect age to take a child for the first time. And for what it's worth, our daughter is turning 2 next month and we left her at home last year and last month as well and we don't regret it at all. She's still in that screaming stage where she gets something in her craw and just screams. It's annoying enough to hear all the way to church, much less all the way from Illinois to Florida, and we're hoping she's out of that stage by next year, because we do plan to take her in April when we go back.

As you can tell, as sad as I am to see our boy grow out of the cute little boy stage, I don't mind seeing our daughter grow just a year or two more until she gets into that same age and out of the screaming stage! :ROFLOL:

Not being rude, the sack of potatoes was your words many moons ago :lol: And hey, at least I didn't mention your pringles paranoia :ROFLOL: :p

Upvote 0

BigNormsMom

We first took our son when he was three. This pass January he took his three year old twin boys. That made his twenty-first trip and he was just as excited as he was in 1984 and he is now thirty. His wife also made the trip and she was in awe the whole time. There will be more trips. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Not being rude, the sack of potatoes was your words many moons ago :lol: And hey, at least I didn't mention your pringles paranoia :ROFLOL: :p

I was referring more to the "get over it" comment/attitude, but as far as the Pringles, I don't think there is any need to mention that, as it's probably common knowledge across wdwmagic by now. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

I was referring more to the "get over it" comment/attitude, but as far as the Pringles, I don't think there is any need to mention that, as it's probably common knowledge across wdwmagic by now. :ROFLOL:

Wasn't intending that portion to be rude either. It's just a fact of life that all of us, as parents, have to get over. Besides, have you not figured out by now that if I think it, it gets posted? Ask anyone, I'm the same in person to. You see, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on if your on the receiving end or just observing) I'm afflicted with VD.... The medical term is Voluble Dysentery, but it's more commenly referred to as Verbal Diarrhea. It's inherited from your mother's side, however, one of my father's sisters shows many of the signs as well. So I could have gotten it for either side. There seems to be no cure for this ailment and as I've gotten older, my symptoms seem to have worsened. The filter between my brain and my mouth has totally disentigrated. I've been on the transplant list for some time now, but typically, even with a perfectly matched filter donor, VD patient's bodies almost always reject the transplant. So alas there's not much hope...... Oh well, I kinda enjoy it anyway :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom