Anyone else feel this way?

sbkline

Used to be, I was way too obsessed with Disney. I was constantly thinking about the next trip, planning, etc. It would be on my thoughts all day and evening and I couldn't wait for the next trip to roll around. However, I got to thinking that it was way too much of a priority in my life and I endeavored to start focusing on more important things rather than having WDW being the focus of my life (although I still intend on going every year). Last year, we took our son on his first trip, and he was 3, going on 4. I remember getting home and the thought hitting me that I can't wait to go back again with him, and start planning the next trip. However, as soon as I thought that, I looked at my son and thought "wait a minute, that means he's gonna be a year older, and won't be the same cute little guy that he is right now!". And the same thoughts were bugging me the whole time on our last trip, thinking that one of these days, we're gonna go down there and our kids are gonna be teenagers, and not these cute little children playing with their toys. :cry:

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy going and still plan to go every year, but now I'm at that point where it's hard for me to look forward to the next trip, because the reality hits me that we will all be a year older by then and I don't want to rush my kids through childhood. I just called and booked our rooms for next April, but I don't want to dwell too much on planning that trip because my son is getting ready to graduate preschool this month and looking forward to next April's trip also means that my son will be getting ready to graduate Kindergarten! :cry::cry::cry: I just want him to stay that cute little almost 4 year old that he was when we took him last year, and looking forward to each trip means looking forward to the kids being a year older and that much less little. So ya, I plan to go every year and do the necessary planning that it takes, but it's getting harder and harder for me to really look forward to the trip as it means the kids being a year older as well. Anyone else struggle with this?

DisneyJoe

My oldest son is 20 now and still enjoys every minute he spends in WDW (and DCL) with us; in fact, he says that its the only place that he doesn't mind getting up early in the morning.

I still experience the trip through his eyes, but I can also see that he is more mature and experiencing Disney differently - he has developed an appreciation for what Disney truly is and what it offers.

He can also re-experience WDW through the eyes of our youngest son who is 8...

As your children grow, the way you experience Disney with them (and life in general) changes - hopefully they will develop an appreciation for the Disney experience as mine have.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not at all! Morgan and I first went when he was 5. He's now 16 and I thoroughly enjoy every trip with him. He's so much fun to be there with, I've never had any thought that that would change.

He was and always will be my baby, but my baby has evolved into an amazing, thoughtful, caring young man. He has the Disney bug, not as bad as his father yet, but I suspect that'll come. Each trip we do is a new and exciting adventure for both of us. It never gets old.

Upvote 0

Wchutch

I used to think I would feel that way. However, as our children got older they discovered different parts of the parks that they would not have paid attention to when they were younger. Now that they are full grown they still enjoy going and see different parts of the parks they have never seen. So I still get to enjoy seeing them dicover something new that we can both like. Now its a bit different our grandkids get to be those lovable sweet little kids and we get to start over again.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

There are moments when we get home from our trip and we start planning the next and its like oh well wait a minute, this time next year, my son will be over three, and it amazes me. And I think omg I won't have a baby anymore. But then I think of all the new things I will be able to experience with him and I look forward to that stage....

I understand what you are saying and totally get it...hang in there. Enjoy the moments with them while you can and look toward the future not as a scary thing but as adventure.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Used to be, I was way too obsessed with Disney. I was constantly thinking about the next trip, planning, etc. It would be on my thoughts all day and evening and I couldn't wait for the next trip to roll around. However, I got to thinking that it was way too much of a priority in my life and I endeavored to start focusing on more important things rather than having WDW being the focus of my life (although I still intend on going every year). Last year, we took our son on his first trip, and he was 3, going on 4. I remember getting home and the thought hitting me that I can't wait to go back again with him, and start planning the next trip. However, as soon as I thought that, I looked at my son and thought "wait a minute, that means he's gonna be a year older, and won't be the same cute little guy that he is right now!". And the same thoughts were bugging me the whole time on our last trip, thinking that one of these days, we're gonna go down there and our kids are gonna be teenagers, and not these cute little children playing with their toys. :cry:

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy going and still plan to go every year, but now I'm at that point where it's hard for me to look forward to the next trip, because the reality hits me that we will all be a year older by then and I don't want to rush my kids through childhood. I just called and booked our rooms for next April, but I don't want to dwell too much on planning that trip because my son is getting ready to graduate preschool this month and looking forward to next April's trip also means that my son will be getting ready to graduate Kindergarten! :cry::cry::cry: I just want him to stay that cute little almost 4 year old that he was when we took him last year, and looking forward to each trip means looking forward to the kids being a year older and that much less little. So ya, I plan to go every year and do the necessary planning that it takes, but it's getting harder and harder for me to really look forward to the trip as it means the kids being a year older as well. Anyone else struggle with this?

I totally understand where you are coming from. From time to time I scare myself how obsessed I am with planning and all things Disney. And my friends think I need to go other places in the World. That there is a World beyond The World apparently! :lol: I have had to pull back and refocus my energy from time to time. Disney is a place where everything is wonderful and happy and magical. And dreams come true. Don't be sad about the kids growing up and going - just think of how many years and memories you have with them - magical ones! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

powlessfamily4

You just have to know when to reel it in..... Right now I am full throttle.... but when something important come up... I tuck it away and focus on other things.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
There are moments when we get home from our trip and we start planning the next and its like oh well wait a minute, this time next year, my son will be over three, and it amazes me. And I think omg I won't have a baby anymore. But then I think of all the new things I will be able to experience with him and I look forward to that stage....

I understand what you are saying and totally get it...hang in there. Enjoy the moments with them while you can and look toward the future not as a scary thing but as adventure.

I guess I've just been going through a hard time lately with him turning 5 this past Monday. I haven't had any problem with his other birthdays, but this one has really been getting to me. I think it's because too many things are changing all at once. He's 5...he's officially no longer a toddler. He's fixin' to graduate preschool. He's starting Kindergarten this fall which means he won't be home with me on my day off anymore, and for the first time, he'll be moving to a new Sunday School class at church. For the past 5 years, things have been pretty much the same as far as our routine. He goes to Grandma's on Monday and Tuesday. Home with the wife on Wednesday. Babysitter Thursday, and home with me on my day off on Friday. Now he's gonna be going to school fulltime Monday through Friday and I feel like I'm losing my little buddy. Additionally, we've been watching these Disney channel shows pretty much since he was a baby and they're either already cancelled or in their final season (Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc) and he's outgrowing some of his toys and other cartoons he used to watch all the time. So too many things are changing at once and it feels like the end of an era. It's just really been bothering me lately thinking about it, and how it won't be too many years until he'll be too big for me to have him sit in my chair with me and read to him, etc.

So that sadness about watching him grow up too fast translates into me having a hard time looking forward to the next Disney trip, as that represents him being one more year older and one more year grown up. I know it's part of life, but I've just been really struggling with it lately. :(

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Lament nothing, and enjoy every stage of your child's development. There is something very special about every stage of life, from now until he reaches adulthood. Recover quickly from the momentary shock and enjoy the wonder that is your child. :wave:

Upvote 0
I think most of us on here have felt that way. My sons are 22, 19 and 8 and they are just as excited if not more for our trip we have planned in September. This time we are bringing our sons and their girlfriends. I get to watch them share our "Happy Place" with the people that they love. I am very excited!! We also get to share the magic with our 8 year old. He was 5 last time we were able to visit and he remembers some things but I know from past experience that he will really remember everything about this trip. He was still pretty small on our last trip and didn't really get to experience everything. This time he is officially tall enough and old enough to enjoy everything the World has to offer. Don't be sad about your children being a year older on every trip, just realize how many more memories you will be able to recall with them. They grow up so fast but I have realized with my older children that it doesn't matter if they are 3 or 22, when they walk through those gates they all become that happy little 3 year old again. Enjoy the time you have with them. It's all Magical!!!

Upvote 0

Raven66

I understand what you are saying 100%. As a matter of fact we were just going thru old Disney pictures starting with our daughters first trip at 5. She is 14 now and my eyes got all watery. I cry on every birthday. She looked so little in those pictures and now she is my big girl. She is will always be my baby. She is my one and only. She actually said to me "did you really let me go out in those clothes?" And her socks were too long haha. You will always have those memories when he was 3, 4, 5 etc. It's really hard and I know what you are going thru. I'm going to be a huge crying snotty mess when she turns 16. I may need to be sedated.:eek:

Upvote 0

cowanfamily

I have an 18yr old, 15, 5 and 3. They all love every minute of planning right through the trip. Everyday my young ones get up wanting to know how many more days. I don't view it as them getting older and moving on. It's more memories being created. I take their pictures at the same places each year,(like the Animal Kingdom sign) I keep those photos together. I track how they have grown over each trip that way.

Upvote 0

WDW_Jon

I'll tell you in a few years how I feel!

My wife and I are expecting a Baby Boy late September and I cannot wait to take him to Florida and show him all the stuff we love!

The sad thing is It's a pretty big and expensive trip for us so I don't think it'll be every year for us :( ou can take them evey year then it shouldn't matter if they're 4 or 24!

Just enjoy it!

Upvote 0

durangojim

We've been very fortunate for the past 6 years to be able to go to WDW 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) times per year. We started taking our kids there when they were only a couple months old. One of the things I love, is looking at pictures of them in the parks seeing how they've changed and how their reaction to things have changed. They're 5 and 3 now and I'm sure this will continue for a good while to come. It doesn't bother me at all.

Upvote 0

tink65

We took our daughter for the first time when she turned 3. This year when we go she will turn 17! Where has the time gone? I look back and am sad and miss those years on one hand, but on the other hand she is experiencing new and exciting things at the age she is now! Enjoy each year as it comes and goes. There will be lots of changes, lots of sadness, and lots of excitement as each milestone is passed! Our daughter has practically grown up at Disney and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything! So plan your trip and look forward to the new experiences you'll have as a family with the passing of time! Because unfortunately, time can't be stopped or even slowed down!

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

I have looked forward to the next trip with my child. No matter their age, their is always something new to do and to look forward to. My daughter's first trips she wouldn't ride some of the bigger rides, and now she does so there's something new, but she still loves everything she did when she was younger. She know pin trades like me, something she didn't used to do. She now helps me plan the trips, not something she used to do. You get the idea... I will always look forward to the next trip!! It never means the fun is going to end for us, its something we will always do and grow together.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom