Anyone else disappointed...that they expand FANTASYLAND?

JustInTime

Excuse me but what was FL lacking compared to Adventureland (last added major attraction when Nixon was president) or Tomorrowland? (see below) were the last REAL improvement was, yeah what? Actual it's BLSRS because the others are worse and that ride IS fun but a real major attraction? They didn't even change the tracks from Dreamflight.

You are excused. All FL had was a few cramped dark rides. It was lacking. No other way around it. AL has Pirates and Jungle Cruse and TL has Space Mountain. Fl had nothing to set itself apart...Each land needs it's major attraction. I feel like FLE will give us what we need (it could ALWAYS be better) to make FL stand out and be a stronger land. I will repeat, IMO!!!! :)

Tigerace81

I believe the next big project in MK after FLE will be to revitalize TL. Its in the worst shape of all the lands. It just doesnt have anything other then SM, BLSRS, and the TTA. It just needs something new. Probably wouldnt have gotten this bad if they had built mission space in TL instead of a certain ride for a certain blue alien.

MonsterManX

I believe the next big project in MK after FLE will be to revitalize TL. Its in the worst shape of all the lands. It just doesnt have anything other then SM, BLSRS, and the TTA. It just needs something new. Probably wouldnt have gotten this bad if they had built mission space in TL instead of a certain ride for a certain blue alien.

Amen. Our day will come soon enough. You just wait. Then again AK is probally gonna get some love before hand. But hey we can dream can't we?

Also you can change whatever u want but if you take Cosmic Ray's away from me , you will die. Sonny Eclipse is forever.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
You are excused. All FL had was a few cramped dark rides. It was lacking. No other way around it. AL has Pirates and Jungle Cruse and TL has Space Mountain. Fl had nothing to set itself apart...Each land needs it's major attraction. I feel like FLE will give us what we need (it could ALWAYS be better) to make FL stand out and be a stronger land. I will repeat, IMO!!!! :)

And this major attraction they are adding with the FLE and that is replacing the former major attraction of FL, 20.000 leagues is...what? The Little Mermaid? Perhaps I am a little too demanding, but what we hear about the planned attraction of doesn't sound different than another D-Ticket dark ride.
Villain Mountain/Bald Mountain of course would have been a different story.
And consider this dismaying observation, in TL at least something happened in the last 10 or 20 years, there came new rides, others were refurbished, there was something. The only major change in AL was when Nixon was president (PotC)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And this major attraction they are adding with the FLE and that is replacing the former major attraction of FL, 20.000 leagues is...what? The Little Mermaid? Perhaps I am a little too demanding, but what we hear about the planned attraction of doesn't sound different than another D-Ticket dark ride.
And consider this dismaying observation, in TL at least something happened in the last 10 or 20 years, there came new rides, others were refurbished, there was something. The only major change in AL was when Nixon was president (PotC)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea hasn't been an attractive since 1994. So, no, they're replacing Pooh's Playground with parts of the FLE.....

lebeau

Once again, your comments betray your bias. You seem very determined to see FLE in a negative light.

What's 20,000 Leagues got to do with anything? It's been gone for 16 years. Like wm49rs pointed out, the only thing being replaced is a playground. In it's place, we're getting a dark ride that is sure to be popular and will increase the park's capacity (which is exactly what MK needs).

Villains Mountain/Bald Mountain would have been a different story. It would have cost a lot more and would not have addressed MKs needs as well as FLE does.

You're right, TL doesn't need an expansion as badly as FL. And since AL has 2 headline attractions, it is also less in need of attention than FL. Both TL and AL could use some love, but FL was the sqeekiest wheel here.

It seems to me that there's a certain group of people who would not have been satisfied by anything other than an e-ticket thrill ride. Forget the fact that's not what the park needs right now. Forget the fact that FLE will address the park's most pressing issues while appealing to an under-served demographic that is extremely valuable to Disney.

If you are willing to listen to reason, FLE makes sense. It may not be what you specifically wanted. But it is exactly what Disney should be doing.

Daannzzz

I'd be happy to ride a a couple of small dark rides themed to Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Pocohantes, Pixies or princess and the frog. I am just not that interested in the huge meet and greets. I think the M&G's should be a bit smaller in stature. Is it really that expensive to build a little dark ride?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'd be happy to ride a a couple of small dark rides themed to Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Pocohantes, Pixies or princess and the frog. I am just not that interested in the huge meet and greets. I think the M&G's should be a bit smaller in stature. Is it really that expensive to build a little dark ride?

It's expensive to build any ride. And again, not what the designers are looking at for the FLE......

RSoxNo1

Once again, your comments betray your bias. You seem very determined to see FLE in a negative light.

What's 20,000 Leagues got to do with anything? It's been gone for 16 years. Like wm49rs pointed out, the only thing being replaced is a playground. In it's place, we're getting a dark ride that is sure to be popular and will increase the park's capacity (which is exactly what MK needs).

Villains Mountain/Bald Mountain would have been a different story. It would have cost a lot more and would not have addressed MKs needs as well as FLE does.

You're right, TL doesn't need an expansion as badly as FL. And since AL has 2 headline attractions, it is also less in need of attention than FL. Both TL and AL could use some love, but FL was the sqeekiest wheel here.

It seems to me that there's a certain group of people who would not have been satisfied by anything other than an e-ticket thrill ride. Forget the fact that's not what the park needs right now. Forget the fact that FLE will address the park's most pressing issues while appealing to an under-served demographic that is extremely valuable to Disney.

If you are willing to listen to reason, FLE makes sense. It may not be what you specifically wanted. But it is exactly what Disney should be doing.

At what point was the capacity of Magic Kingdom at it's highest? I know 20,000 Leagues wasn't a large capacity attraction, but was the highest park capacity at the Magic Kingdom from 1992-1994 (When Splash Opened but before 20,000 Leagues closed)?

My understanding of this expansion is to expand capacity at the park. They should never have to close the park to guests due to it being too crowded, and this should help alleviate that. In reality, the park probably needs another 1500-2000 guest per hour thrilling E-Ticket, but perhaps that's the next step.

lebeau

My understanding of this expansion is to expand capacity at the park. They should never have to close the park to guests due to it being too crowded, and this should help alleviate that. In reality, the park probably needs another 1500-2000 guest per hour thrilling E-Ticket, but perhaps that's the next step.

The problem with another e-ticket is that it also bumps up attendance. These little attractions add to the capacity without necessarily adding to the number of people trying to get into the park. Also, other parks need E-tickets (and attendance bumps) more.

JustInTime

Well said.

darthokeefe

Hate to disappoint you guys but Disney does not make Decisions based upon the wants and needs of DISNEY ZEALOTS like us who frequent Disney message boards....they listen to PArents and consumers.....WE WILL ALWAYS GO...EVEN IF IT IS TO COMPLAIN WE WILL BE THERE...parents of little girls who spend HUNDREDS to transform thier daughter into Cinderella, they spend. With more for them to do there is more $$$$$ for disney. Little Girls will not beg thier parents to see VILLAN MT. >>>>>>>They Wont complain if LMermaid is a D or E attraction....THEY WONT CARE.......when they see a commercial saying they can meet Belle and Watch Cinderella Transform from Rags to Gown ...THEY WILL BEG and PARENTS WILL REACT...Disney is about MAGIC...experiences....that is where the MK is different from other parks...Major Thrill rides are not the objective here although i would love it ....UNIV has these things yet I have only have gone there once....LOved the thrills but there is no MAGIC (Maybee this will change with wwohp) ....I go to WDW year after year for the feeling as much as the rides....

loveofamouse

Hate to disappoint you guys but Disney does not make Decisions based upon the wants and needs of DISNEY ZEALOTS like us who frequent Disney message boards....they listen to PArents and consumers.....WE WILL ALWAYS GO...EVEN IF IT IS TO COMPLAIN WE WILL BE THERE...parents of little girls who spend HUNDREDS to transform thier daughter into Cinderella, they spend. With more for them to do there is more $$$$$ for disney. Little Girls will not beg thier parents to see VILLAN MT. >>>>>>>They Wont complain if LMermaid is a D or E attraction....THEY WONT CARE.......when they see a commercial saying they can meet Belle and Watch Cinderella Transform from Rags to Gown ...THEY WILL BEG and PARENTS WILL REACT...Disney is about MAGIC...experiences....that is where the MK is different from other parks...Major Thrill rides are not the objective here although i would love it ....UNIV has these things yet I have only have gone there once....LOved the thrills but there is no MAGIC (Maybee this will change with wwohp) ....I go to WDW year after year for the feeling as much as the rides....

Well said. Each of the Disney parks serve a purpose and address an idea. AK is the nature side, HS rides the movies and teaches about the movie industry, Epcot of educational. MK is for fantasy. Not every single corner of the wdw property is going to be full of THRILL rides. There are other people to serve. So really, you need to look beyond YOUR desires and look at the desires of the CROWD. MK has always been known as a family park aimed at the kids. Like PP said, look at IOA. IOA is full of action packed rides with smaller theming and mainly thrill with a small corner for kids. IOA doesn't make the money or pull the crowds that MK does. In fact, of all the times I've been to IOA, I have never seen it as crowded as MK. In fact, there's only, like, 2 rides for kids under 44", I believe. People dont make trips from across the country to FL just to go to US/IOA. They do that to come to WDW spending most of their time at MK. I think that says something. So although WDI has screwed up with a few attractions (i.e. that stitch ****. I don't think I've seeen a crowd there), they are obviosly doing a decent enough job

tirian

Well said. Each of the Disney parks serve a purpose and address an idea. AK is the nature side, HS rides the movies and teaches about the movie industry, Epcot of educational. MK is for fantasy. Not every single corner of the wdw property is going to be full of THRILL rides. There are other people to serve. So really, you need to look beyond YOUR desires and look at the desires of the CROWD. MK has always been known as a family park aimed at the kids. Like PP said, look at IOA. IOA is full of action packed rides with smaller theming and mainly thrill with a small corner for kids. IOA doesn't make the money or pull the crowds that MK does. In fact, of all the times I've been to IOA, I have never seen it as crowded as MK. In fact, there's only, like, 2 rides for kids under 44", I believe. People dont make trips from across the country to FL just to go to US/IOA. They do that to come to WDW spending most of their time at MK. I think that says something. So although WDI has screwed up with a few attractions (i.e. that stitch ****. I don't think I've seeen a crowd there), they are obviosly doing a decent enough job

I'll join in: the MK is supposed to be a place where everyone feels like a kid again, and the only lackluster attractions/refurbs are executives' fault, not WDI's.

Fantasyland needs to be expanded more than any other part of the MK; in its current form, it's nothing more than a parking lot for strollers. The park needs dining; it needs better meet-and-greets for characters; and it needs two more E-tickets (plus one or two lesser attractions) to spread out crowds. FLE provides everything but the extra attractions.

I won't pretend to approve of the majority of exec decisions in Florida (not that my opinion really matters); but IMO, FLE is just about right.

po1998

What is the FLE budget? Months after this expansion was announced, I still wonder if the majority of the money would have been better spent on a new "E Ticket" attraction for each of DHS & AK and still have money to build the LM attraction along with a corresponding restaurant on the former spot of 20k?

Why invest all the money into the park that currently has the best attendance? I know the numbers aren't available, but I'd love to know the cost breakdown on these glorified meet and greets? A girl 3-10 is going to love meeting the princesses regardless of the setting, so why invest such a huge amount of money for such a small(no pun intended) target audience?

Lee

Adventurer
MK has always been known as a family park aimed at the kids.
No.
MK was never "aimed at kids". It was the park with something for everyone. Some things for kids, some things for older folks, and some for everyone.
Now...it's skewing dangerously toward the "for kids".

The park needs dining; it needs better meet-and-greets for characters; and it needs two more E-tickets (plus one or two lesser attractions) to spread out crowds. FLE provides everything but the extra attractions.
Agreed. And it's lack of attractions is it's ultimate failure, IMHO.

Lee

Adventurer
What is the FLE budget? Months after this expansion was announced, I still wonder if the majority of the money would have been better spent on a new "E Ticket" attraction for each of DHS & AK and still have money to build the LM attraction along with a corresponding restaurant on the former spot of 20k?

Exactly. They could have invested a much smaller amount and provided perfectly adequate M&G and dining opportunities at MK, and spent some of that other money on development at the parks that really need it. (I'm looking at you, AK.)

dxwwf3

No.
MK was never "aimed at kids". It was the park with something for everyone. Some things for kids, some things for older folks, and some for everyone.

Quoted for truth. It's the park I want to spend the least amount of time in nowadays :shrug:

Loehnwulf

Why invest all the money into the park that currently has the best attendance? I know the numbers aren't available, but I'd love to know the cost breakdown on these glorified meet and greets? A girl 3-10 is going to love meeting the princesses regardless of the setting, so why invest such a huge amount of money for such a small(no pun intended) target audience?

So what you are saying is that instead of expanding all of Fantasyland and adding more excitement and freshness to it, you'd prefer to blow it all in one shot on one attraction..See this only reaffirms what I have alwas said..you will never please the rabid Disney fans..you give them this that want that..you give them that they want something else...people say that they arent doing anything to match WWOHP and here Disney does something to answer those critics by adding a substantial chunk of new development to FL and people are still complaining..I for one am excited and hopeful that Disney will live up to the hype they have created for this expansion and not take the cheap way out..otherwise I say it cant happen soon enough

RadioHead

No.

Well for me going to Disney world with my family is a once in a life time type of thing. I don't make enough to go vacationing, but the few times I did go with my family I cherish. I am poor. An to me I could really care less about what the MK is aiming for, or how many attractions it has. I'm a 40 year old man, and I'd honestly rather go on a relaxing vacation to the Caribbeans, rather than a hustle and bustle type of vacation that is Disney World.

I go there for my kids, and hopefully allow them to have a more successful life than me, and allow them to bring there kids, and so on and so forth. I want my kids to have the best time possible, and you know what made them happy? Seeing Mickey for the first time. They nearly cried for joy, and to me it made my whole vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom