Any Updates on Test Track Redo?

stitch2008

Maybe during the construction of Radiator Springs Racers they have a bunch of new software and/or ride knowledge to add into the Test Track ride system?

Perhaps this rehab isn't just a cosmetic redo to bring the 1990's General Motors theme into a 2010-20's Chevrolet Volt theme, but it's also to update the ride software and systems? I would think they've learned a lot in the last 15 years, and learned a lot more in the last year with testing at Radiator Springs Racers. Now that Racers is wrapping up, maybe they'll ship the Imagineers that built Racers out to Florida to work on Test Track?

Radiator Springs Racers Final Testing, March 2012
IMG3694-L.jpg

Hey Imagineers, don't stop at the unload station, just keep driving east to Orlando! :lol:

Yes there is a very good chance ride software will get updated.

officeboy

Yes there is a very good chance ride software will get updated.

Really? After the nightmare they had trying to get it work the 1st time I find it hard to believe they are changing the software. Unless there is a hardware change out somewhere that I missed I can't imagine why they would change the software. Last I heard Wayside was finicky. They might change some off ride stuff (show pieces). But ride infrastructure I thought was staying put.

If I am wrong fire away. I would assume by now obsolescence has hit them at least to some degree so I could be completely off base here.

t3techcom18

Really? After the nightmare they had trying to get it work the 1st time I find it hard to believe they are changing the software. Unless there is a hardware change out somewhere that I missed I can't imagine why they would change the software. Last I heard Wayside was finicky. They might change some off ride stuff (show pieces). But ride infrastructure I thought was staying put.

If I am wrong fire away. I would assume by now obsolescence has hit them at least to some degree so I could be completely off base here.

haha, I can tell you from first-hand experience, yes, Wayside is still finicky. They most definitely will be updating the software to 2012 standards and addressing the most common issues it has. If anything, they'll be updating the software to the type RSR has.

Annielkd

Disney still denying this

I wrote to Disney yesterday quoting the article with the April 16th date. I gave them the link from Enclyclopedia Disney... and this is their response:

Dear Ann,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort. We are happy to
know you will be vacationing with us and experiencing the magic!

We are unable to confirm information reported on other websites or by
other sources. However, operational updates (refurbishments/closures)
may be found on www.disneyworld.com.

I for one would just like to know for sure for planning purposes!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I wrote to Disney yesterday quoting the article with the April 16th date. I gave them the link from Enclyclopedia Disney... and this is their response:

Dear Ann,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort. We are happy to
know you will be vacationing with us and experiencing the magic!

We are unable to confirm information reported on other websites or by
other sources. However, operational updates (refurbishments/closures)
may be found on www.disneyworld.com.

I for one would just like to know for sure for planning purposes!

Why don't you just assume it will be closed? Isn't that the easiest thing to do at this point? If for some reason the refurb is pushed back it can be a bonus for you.

mickeymiss

There's a high probability that this ride will be closed in April. I just find it totally obnoxious that this information appears to be concealed. There's no official announcment to be found on their website. Many people verify that something was posted and then taken down. The only "somewhat" reliable source is from an Orlando newspaper that only Florida residents read. I think we can all agree that this was handled very badly. Yes, this is not WDW's most beloved ride but it's an attractive attraction. It's certainly an important part of Epcot center.

mickeymiss

Disney World runs like its own city. Therefore, the Disney website is where people go for current information. That information should have been posted on their website in bold, block letters! Months ago! !!!! With exclamation points all over the place!!!!! It's pretty important for visitors to know which rides won't be open. What bigger news could there be for Disney to report?

Annielkd

contacting Disney

I'ev spoken to Disney several times on this matter, and they do NOT feel they should have to tell us in advance because, "rides are subject to refurbishment at any time". My argument that if something is planned, people should be notified fell on deaf ears.

Alektronic

haha, I can tell you from first-hand experience, yes, Wayside is still finicky. They most definitely will be updating the software to 2012 standards and addressing the most common issues it has. If anything, they'll be updating the software to the type RSR has.

What do you mean by the wayside is finicky? What common issues does the software have?

fosse76

After reading so many of these suggestions I randomly choose this one. It is not legal for any one to demand proof of your disability.
Not quite true. While they cannot demand to know the nature of your disability, they can demand proof that you need a special accomodation (through a doctors note or other reasonable documentation). Not every disability is covered by the ADA, so telling Disney you need a front of line pass due to an illness is not sufficient. And if you are requesting an accomodation, you are already disclosing that you have a disability.

The Americans Disability Act protects the privacy of people with disabilities.
Not entirely. That's HIPPA. By the very nature of the ADA, you are somewhat disclosing your disability by requesting the need for an accomodation. As I said above, you don't have to disclose WHAT it is that makes you disabled, though.

The same goes for service dogs. A resturant etc. cannot demand your proof of need of a service dog.
They can, however, ask if it is a service animal. Most are pretty obvious, so it generall isn't an issue.

It is a slippery slope for Disney Legal as they could be fighting of discriminating against a certain class of disabilities. As much as the higher ups of Disney wants to cut back on the Special Cards. Right now Disney is trying hard to defend themselves with the Americans with visual disabilities for Disney's lack of amenities to assist them. I can't imagine Disney Legal wanting to parse through at City Hall who they are going to randomly not give a card to. Nightmare.
100% true. With the number of guests that go through Disney per year, it is easier for them to err on the side of caution. Disney doesn't ask for proof (nor most businesses) because it's a headache for them, and an inconvenience to their guests. I imagine if it were a really big problem they would start clamping down.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'ev spoken to Disney several times on this matter, and they do NOT feel they should have to tell us in advance because, "rides are subject to refurbishment at any time". My argument that if something is planned, people should be notified fell on deaf ears.

Even your short description above shows the room for disagreement without disagreeing. Disney doesn't feel they should HAVE TO tell us. And they probably don't HAVE TO -- i.e., neither the laws of the city, county, state, physics or thermodynamics require them to tell us.

But you believe the SHOULD tell us. Even Disney might agree that they SHOULD tell us, while still believing they don't HAVE TO tell us.

This is bad guest relations. But likely not any kind of violation of law or regulation.

lazyboy97o

I think it says a great deal more about the state of Walt Disney World and its offerings that the closure of a single attraction can cause so much of a ruckus.

disnyfan89

I think it says a great deal more about the state of Walt Disney World and its offerings that the closure of a single attraction can cause so much of a ruckus.
I don't. I think it shows how we as a society are completely self centered and only think of the benfits, be them positive or negative, as they relate to us on a personal level.

stitch2008

I don't. I think it shows how we as a society are completely self centered and only think of the benfits, be them positive or negative, as they relate to us on a personal level.

You are a winner.

Take Magic Mountain in California for example. Superman is closed so they can build Drop of Doom on the superstructure. They get so many complaints every day from guests who are angry that Superman is closed. And it's not just the average visitor. Season pass holders and even fan websites are mad that the ride is closed. They ignore the fact that the ride is closed for a reason. Yeah Superman could be open while they build it. But it's too dangerous and would violate worker laws.

The guests care about their experience that day. That goes for Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Cedar Fair, Six Flags, and all the other parks.

EDIT: And in regards to Epcot. The guests don't care about what the rest of the park is like cause they wanted to ride Test Track.

alphac2005

I went on countless WDW and DL trips as a kid where we didn't know about refurbishment schedules and the attractions were closed. Sure, it was disappointing when a certain ride wasn't open, but common sense prevailed that they had to be closed at some point to be refreshed, enhanced, etc.

Now, it's as if everything is obligated to be known be everyone at every time. When I read people talk about this "ruining their vacation," then clearly as you've stated, this must be a statement of the lack of attractions and WDW's current state or what I tend to believe, people's pure self-absorbed behavior.

Annielkd

No way. People pay for something with expectations. It doesn't make us self absorbed. It makes us costomers. I paid for the total experience. To have two major rides down, and one without notice isn't good practice. I don't think you would want to buy a car and be told it doesn't have a feature you expect. We do expect closures, it's going to happen. It's disrespectful to PLAN on it and not let people know... we pay a great deal for vacations there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom