Any rumors about AK expansion?

GrumpyFan

On this topic, does anybody know if there have been ANY kind of expansion plans using the large area of land to the east of the Conservation Station train tracks? I've seen rumors, but nothing concrete. I don't necessarily want to know whats been planned, but it would be nice to know that there have been a few ideas for the area. Was there a plan for something here originally? I know BK was planned for where we now have Camp Minnie Mickey, but what/if anything was planned in this other spot?

Prototype82

Australia is their best bet. It would get attention. The possibilities for rides, shows, and dining are endless. As for Dinoland...Chester and Hester's isn't leaving. Sadly. It's a sorry attempt to make up for lack of other attractions and because of it, that portion of an otherwise great "land" isn't going anywhere. However, I think Primevil Whirl has a chance of getting shut down after this safety inspection... But that's just me.

Zac Skellington

...I don't see novelty at AK. I see the most richly themed Disney park in Orlando.

Yes, I agree. However, the problem is Animal Kingdom is a HALF DAY PARK!!! I love, love, love DAK, and used to defend it against the whole "half-day park" thing. Then I took a hard look and found:

1) Only 4 attractions open during Morning EMH
2) Only 4 attractions open durng Evening EMH
3) Evening EMHs no longer EXIST at DAK!!! huh...WHAT?!?!
4) The park is sometimes only open for 8 hours a day... (1/3 day park?)

Such a shame. I can't tell you how much I once enjoyed walking around that park at night. The ambiance of DAK at night is second to none.

Yes, I agree. However, the problem is Animal Kingdom is a HALF DAY PARK!!! I love, love, love DAK, and used to defend it against the whole "half-day park" thing. Then I took a hard look and found:

Such a shame. I can't tell you how much I once enjoyed walking around that park at night. The ambiance of DAK at night is second to none.
I'd love for there to be more rides and for it to take me 1.5-2 days to do on a trip like MK and Epcot do, but I anytime I've visited it wasn't a half-day park for me.

I always got a full day out of it and always had to rush at the end. I want more rides, but at the moment, it's not a ride park. I go there for the animals and a lot of the day is eaten up doing the treks for me

JungleTrekFan

On this topic, does anybody know if there have been ANY kind of expansion plans using the large area of land to the east of the Conservation Station train tracks? I've seen rumors, but nothing concrete. I don't necessarily want to know whats been planned, but it would be nice to know that there have been a few ideas for the area. Was there a plan for something here originally? I know BK was planned for where we now have Camp Minnie Mickey, but what/if anything was planned in this other spot?

Originally it was going to be Tiger River Run, a boat ride through the asian jungle where you would have seen asian elephants, tigers, and other asian animals. But those plans were scrapped for Kali River Rapids. I can only guess some of the reasons it was scrapped was that a) water rides are expensive to build, b) its not cheap to feed all the animals and c) its expensive to pay for all the cast members that would care for the animals.

Here's an article on it.
http://www.parkeology.com/2010/04/run-tiger-run.html

Pete C

Originally it was going to be Tiger River Run, a boat ride through the asian jungle where you would have seen asian elephants, tigers, and other asian animals. But those plans were scrapped for Kali River Rapids. I can only guess some of the reasons it was scrapped was that a) water rides are expensive to build, b) its not cheap to feed all the animals and c) its expensive to pay for all the cast members that would care for the animals.

Here's an article on it.
http://www.parkeology.com/2010/04/run-tiger-run.html

If Kali River Rapids was anywhere near as good as Grizzly River Run at DCA or Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges at IOA, it would be a must-do ride for Animal Kingdom. Instead, they spent a lot of money on a ride with a drab theme and almost no thrills. Heck you barely even know it's there! This ride is one of the most disappointing installations at WDW to me because Animal Kingdom would have benefited greatly from this ride being good. When I really scrutinize AK's rides, they all could have been better and that is one of the big issues at this park.

RSoxNo1

@wdwmagic - Bob Iger spotted in Disney's Animal Kingdom this morning - touring the park with AK VP

Awesome...

As for Kali River Rapids - It's a solid D-ticket attraction, but it's half the ride as Popeye and Bluto's. I don't think the nature of a rapid ride would be conducive to a live animal attraction as people want to take pictures of the animals. It may have worked as something like Crate Adventure in Universal Singapore (Log Flume with no drops), but I don't think it's really the best approach.

Kali needs to be lengthened, and there need to find a better way to tie it to animals other than the somewhat muted conservation message that is quite noticeably rushed in the attraction.

Edit: Is Michael Colglazier the VP of Animal Kingdom?

_Scar

Not disagreeing with you. It'd be very hard to pull a full day out of DAK, but it's way more than a half day park when you include the trails, shows, meet and greets, etc.

@wdwmagic - Bob Iger spotted in Disney's Animal Kingdom this morning - touring the park with AK VP

This can only be a good thing. So :sohappy:

Scuttle

Australia is their best bet. It would get attention. The possibilities for rides, shows, and dining are endless. As for Dinoland...Chester and Hester's isn't leaving. Sadly. It's a sorry attempt to make up for lack of other attractions and because of it, that portion of an otherwise great "land" isn't going anywhere. However, I think Primevil Whirl has a chance of getting shut down after this safety inspection... But that's just me.

I agree that primevil whirl might be a gonner. I have a feeling it might go the way of 20,000 and just keep pushing back refurb dates until finally tearing it down, just a gut feeling knowing TDO's history.

yeti

5) Only 4 rides open during regular magic hours.

NewfieFan

This was discussed in another thread but where AK really fails is appealing to families with young children. The animal exhibits are appropriate for any age group but a lot of folks throw out the argument that they can take their kids to a zoo at home (and get a better animal experience). Now for me, personally we enjoy the animal exhibits but we don't have a zoo anywhere near us... so for us real-life animals are still a novelty! So lets look at the rest of the attractions in AK...

EE ~ 44" height requirement. And even those kids that meet the height requirement still won't go near the ride. It is a fairly intense ride!

Dinosaur ~ 40" height requirement. But again, even if they're over 40" this ride is really scary. I'm pretty sure there are kids in therapy over this ride!

It's Tough to be a Bug ~ I think this attraction wins a Guiness World Record for the most children crying and exiting an attraction!

Kali River Rapids ~ 38" height requirement. And again even those over 42" opt not to ride. The ride is not super intense but despite popular belief children do not like having large amounts of water dumped on them unexpectedly.

Primeval Whirl ~ 48" height requirement. (It's closed at the moment anyway)

So families with young children can go on the Safari and Tricertop Spin! The kids can play in the Boneyard while the parents sit down and try and keep track of the kids in the maze of slides and bridges. And they have two shows to take in; FOTLK and Nemo.

I see where some folks say it is a complete waste of money with young children.

stelledelmare

This was discussed in another thread but where AK really fails is appealing to families with young children. The animal exhibits are appropriate for any age group but a lot of folks throw out the argument that they can take their kids to a zoo at home (and get a better animal experience). Now for me, personally we enjoy the animal exhibits but we don't have a zoo anywhere near us... so for us real-life animals are still a novelty! So lets look at the rest of the attractions in AK...

EE ~ 44" height requirement. And even those kids that meet the height requirement still won't go near the ride. It is a fairly intense ride!

Dinosaur ~ 40" height requirement. But again, even if they're over 40" this ride is really scary. I'm pretty sure there are kids in therapy over this ride!

It's Tough to be a Bug ~ I think this attraction wins a Guiness World Record for the most children crying and exiting an attraction!

Kali River Rapids ~ 38" height requirement. And again even those over 42" opt not to ride. The ride is not super intense but despite popular belief children do not like having large amounts of water dumped on them unexpectedly.

Primeval Whirl ~ 48" height requirement. (It's closed at the moment anyway)

So families with young children can go on the Safari and Tricertop Spin! The kids can play in the Boneyard while the parents sit down and try and keep track of the kids in the maze of slides and bridges. And they have two shows to take in; FOTLK and Nemo.

I see where some folks say it is a complete waste of money with young children.

It's really weird that Primeval Whirl has a higher height requirement than Everest. Everest is way more intense. And I completely agree about It's Tough to Be A Bug. I was I think 9 when I first did that show, once more when I was 17 (and I had to be practically dragged in). I'm 21 now and have refused to do it again ever since (then again, I do hate insects). In fact out of all the attractions you listed here with the height requirements Primeval Whirl is really in my opinion the least intense of all.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's really weird that Primeval Whirl has a higher height requirement than Everest. Everest is way more intense. And I completely agree about It's Tough to Be A Bug. I was I think 17 when I first did that show. I'm 21 now and have refused to do it again ever since. In fact out of all the attractions you listed here with the height requirements Primeval Whirl is really in my opinion the least intense of all.
It typically has more to do with the restraint system then the ride itself. There are exceptions, but over the shoulder restraints usually have a 48" or higher height requirement.

Txrayado

I don't know what yall are talking about, I love dino land. And the story line is great when you realize what it is. so what all you dino land haters need to do is first read this http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/08/chester_and_hesters_dinorama.html. then visit dino land yourself and enjoy the magic that is the disney plus. "off soap box" :king:

now then as for adding to AK please do... australia would be great could you imagin a ride based on Rescuers down under!!!! omg so excited...

I think a little part of me would die if they got rid of the train to the RPW but agree AK needs a lil something...

RSoxNo1

The backstory of Dinoland is really written because it had to be. No amount of backstory can explain or excuse poor theming.

OurDailyGruel

Do the animals ever race around in packs like on the animal shows from the 70s?

I've only found pix of the animals standing still and eating. Do they ever get to run around? I was anti-Seaworld long before watching the Japanese stab dolphins in The Cove because I hated that the sea creatures no longer had oceans to roam around in and were stuck in too small pools.

Maybe elephant families would be too dangerous. They might try to bulldoze kidani villages.

Txrayado

and how are you going to explain the theming behinde BK... "look mommy a unicorn" I understand disney is all about fantasy and magic. But not Animal Kingdom... the Aminal Kingdom is conservation and education in a way to get kids interested...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom