Any rumors about AK expansion?

boufa

I have personally heard an imaginieer in an interview state that the Yeti problem is being looked at BUT, it is a huge technical issue. The way it was working (the mechanics) has to be redesigned. He would have to be removed from the mountain to do it. The mountain is basically built around him.

So they are willing to fix it, and will make the move, but not until they can convince Disney that this fix will be THE fix for good.

GrumpyFan

AK is definitely due for something, hopefully they will do something, and not something like Dinoland!
I found it very interesting though that it was the one park of the 4, that had higher estimated attendance, according to the TEA report for 2010.

MotherOfBirds

I think the deal with Dinoland is that everyone is POed about the Chester Hester nightmare, which I would have to agree with. It's garish and out of place. I sort of understand where they were going with the initial design an theming of Dinoland, but it seems like they were trying too hard to not be like Jurassic Park. It needs Chester & Hester Bulldozed and a good C/D ticket in its place. Paying Disney money for county fair quality? I don't think so.

I was also wondering why nothing has been done with the Discovery Boats. Some cool outdoor AA's and effects would help and would certainly be better than the nothing we've got now.

I don't think that taking over CMM for a new land could really be considered an "expansion" because all it really is is squandered space with minimal theming. The only thing holding it down is FotLK. The sign out front with the bear and the canoe doesn't even say Camp Minnie Mickey anymore. It just lists FotLK showtimes.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Hey, I haven't thought about Animal Kingdom since I looked at a post about people hating on Primevil Whirl... That shows how much I care about A.K., I dont. :lookaroun

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

Scuttle

It's just sad because AK could have so much potential. And it is very interesting that it had an attendance increase. I wonder what's up with that.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm thinking AK needs a new E ticket attraction before they consider closing Everest to repair the Yeti. Unfortunately, I don't see that coming any time soon.

I'm still waiting on the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. :p

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

Disneyfan1981

AK has rapidly turned into my favorite part of WDW, something about the setup and the feel when walking through it is outstanding. The only spot is really an eyesore for me is Dinoland. It completely breaks the majesty of the rest of the park. I would much rather that they spend the funds ripping that out completely and replacing than expanding. Dinosaur can be rethemed easily enough as the research center is simply in a new area without much issue.

ryguy

FYI, as a travel agent the biggest complaint I get from clients returning from their trips is how bad AK was and how they felt they got ripped. These phrase's are very common from my clients: " We could have skipped Animal Kingdom" or "Next time we will pass on Animal Kingdom there just isn't much to do." I think those who buy a one day ticket definitely feel the sting a little more than those using a multi-day park hopper. 2nd biggest complaint would be the bus system. :wave:

AEfx

FYI, as a travel agent the biggest complaint I get from clients returning from their trips is how bad AK was and how they felt they got ripped. These phrase's are very common from my clients: " We could have skipped Animal Kingdom" or "Next time we will pass on Animal Kingdom there just isn't much to do." I think those who buy a one day ticket definitely feel the sting a little more than those using a multi-day park hopper. 2nd biggest complaint would be the bus system. :wave:

Although it has it's fans here who think it's some amazing, earth-shattering experience simply because they did a good job making it look like a jungle, I think a lot of the public holds similar views to your clients.

AEfx

You mean that overpriced, new and exciting Wild Africa Trek isn't enough for ya? :shrug::lol:

That's what's kind of sad - that the most worthwhile things at AK cost a lot extra. I hear the backstage tour is awesome - you actually get to go NEAR animals!

Unlike the tours at other parks which are mainly for those with specialized interests, the ones at AK are more of what should be part of regular park offerings to begin with.

That's my essential problem with AK. There aren't enough rides to make it a real theme park, and there aren't enough animal interactions/viewings to compete with a real zoo. It falls short on both scales in my opinion, and two 1/2's in this case don't make a whole.

MotherOfBirds

I agree. Of course, knowing how Disney does things, they could very well be in the concept stages of an expansion as we speak. Either that, or they have some stuff ready that was shelved when the economy tanked.

RSoxNo1

That's what's kind of sad - that the most worthwhile things at AK cost a lot extra. I hear the backstage tour is awesome - you actually get to go NEAR animals!

Unlike the tours at other parks which are mainly for those with specialized interests, the ones at AK are more of what should be part of regular park offerings to begin with.

That's my essential problem with AK. There aren't enough rides to make it a real theme park, and there aren't enough animal interactions/viewings to compete with a real zoo. It falls short on both scales in my opinion, and two 1/2's in this case don't make a whole.

That's the biggest problem. Most people like the few attractions that they have or the animal exhibits but typically not both. Personally I'm a fan of both so I can spend a full day there.

For me the comparison is Epcot where you have people that are fans of Future World or fans of World Showcase. However, the difference is that each of these halves are more developed than the halves in the Animal Kingdom.

jmuboy

DAK needs an E TICKET animal display - PANDAS! The WDC's relationship with China now should make it fairly easy for them to get a pair for China.

The Empress Lilly

I wish AK would build something akin to SeaWorld's Polar Expedition.

You know, cool, a break from the 'jungle + African jungle + Asian jungle' theme, interesting animal displays that you are not likely to see at your local zoo, and even a ride.

Possibly combined with an Ice Age America extinct animals zoo or some such.

DAK just needs a some expansion, another land. Personally, I prefer more exhibits over more rides, to set AK apart from the other theme parks.

Jasonflz

Beastly Kingdom is apparently very dead although I don't see why Disney can't look back for inspiration. One concept that I would be very interested in seeing is a variation of Mysterious Island. Journey to the Center of the Earth could fit with the theme of the land. 20,000 Leagues, not so much.

My biggest problem with DAK (aside from the fact that it is the one park I generally skip when I visit, my last trip was when Everest opened) is that it's novelty wears off after a trip. The attractions are fun, when the line aren't long. The animals are cool to look at, but what really seperates the park from any other Zoo out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom