Any rumors about AK expansion?

_Scar

DAK needs an E TICKET animal display - PANDAS! The WDC's relationship with China now should make it fairly easy for them to get a pair for China.

What's so exciting about Pandas? If it's because they're nearly extinct, then I'd rather WDC focus on the Florida Panther which is 1000x cooler than any panda....

or maybe more rhinos...

tirian

Plans existed, land was cleared, a closing date was internally set for the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. The plan collapsed. I'm not completely certain as to what the exact plans were.

drew81

DAK needs an E TICKET animal display - PANDAS! The WDC's relationship with China now should make it fairly easy for them to get a pair for China.

That would be awesome! I would love to see them.

What's so exciting about Pandas? If it's because they're nearly extinct, then I'd rather WDC focus on the Florida Panther which is 1000x cooler than any panda....

or maybe more rhinos...

A Florida panther or any other forest animals would be a great addition to CMM. I've also wondered why they haven't added Sand Hill Cranes to DAK. That would be a great opportunity to spread their message on conservation.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Plans existed, land was cleared, a closing date was internally set for the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. The plan collapsed. I'm not completely certain as to what the exact plans were.

I hope they were going to use that train still somewhere in the park as its definitely a unique one. I'd hate to see it go!

I would add an inverted coaster somewhere near the rear of AK (probably on the right side of Africa). Inverted coasters are one of the most popular in the roller coaster world and allow a large amount of guests to ride per hour (very efficient). See Great Bear (Hershey Park), Montu (Busch Gardens Africa), Dueling Dragons (Islands of Adventure), etc as examples. An inverted coaster would be a big draw at any park Disney decided to install it in, but I think Animal Kingdom would be a good choice because it'd offer another vantage point to view the animals. Soar like a bird near the African animals as you fly through "obstacles" in the terrain. Busch Gardens Africa is a great example of the combination between roller coasters and animals ... and they have some great themeing on their coasters, too. Definitely something to think about.

WeLoveTheMouse

Although it has it's fans here who think it's some amazing, earth-shattering experience simply because they did a good job making it look like a jungle, I think a lot of the public holds similar views to your clients.

Nice dose of sarcasm. :(

Some people like us think AK is a great experience because it has some very high quality attractions. We enjoy Everest, Dinosaur and Nemo immensely, in fact, aside from Space Mountain those might be our three favorite attractions! On top of those, we also enjoy some of the other stuff like the Safari and It's Tough to be a Bug. I admit that there isn't a ton of different attractions, but that doesn't stop us from having a great time there.

I don't understand the hate for Animal Kingdom. I love AK! There aren't alot of rides or attractions, but what really sets it apart is the atmosphere! And the rides they have are awesome! I love Everest, Dinosaur, Kali River and the Safari. The shows are really good as well, like Nemo and Lion King. But I don't think AK is just about rides..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't understand the hate for Animal Kingdom. I love AK! There aren't alot of rides or attractions, but what really sets it apart is the atmosphere! And the rides they have are awesome! I love Everest, Dinosaur, Kali River and the Safari. The shows are really good as well, like Nemo and Lion King. But I don't think AK is just about rides..
It is what happens when something attempts to break the mold. AK is not quite a zoo and not quite a theme park. When a guest goes in expecting one or the other they tend to come out disappointed.

Pete C

I personally love AK due to the incredible theming and detail throughout the park, but I can totally understand how someone could be left underwhelmed if they are not impressed by that aspect. It just doesn't have enough rides, end of story. People who travel long distances to go to these parks don't want to pay $80 to see animals. I'm sure they like seeing the animals, but they are surely expecting that plus a whole lot of Disney stuff besides that. The safari is really cool, but to me it is not "Disney" enough to separate it from other safari type attractions. Take that away and you have a few (though very good) shows, a pretty boring rapids ride by rapids ride standards, and just two rides that people come to expect from Disney: Everest and Dinosaur. This park really needs more true Disney rides to make people feel like they got their money's worth. That is fine they wanted to break the mold, but it didn't really work. Add more rides and they will satisfy everyone.

ctxak98

I AGREE....THAT ANIMAL KINGDOM DOES NEED A NEW E TICKET.....however i dont think getting rid of dinoland is going to fix the problem!? Dinosuar(countdown to extcintion) is one of the best rides at disney world no matter how many people dont like it. Its one of disneys last scary rides left and they need that for the teens that come to visit. Its brings a different side of disney out. Expedition everest is fun but isnt thrilling without the YETI! I think Beastly Kingdom would even out Dinoland with the Imaginary side and Extinct side so dinoland wouldnt seem so cheesy. IM ALL for gutting out chester and hester and making new dinosaur attractions....BUT I love dinoland

RSoxNo1

or maybe more rhinos...

Pandas are a relatively uninteresting animal, but they are incredibly popular. It would probably be the only animal that could legitimately result in an increase in attendance.

Evidently they tried to get both Giant Pandas and Asian Elephants in the past, who knows if that's still active. The #s for Giant Pandas have been improving in recent years as well, so the rarity of them shouldn't be as much of an issue. I think part of the problem is that the Chinese government require a habitat built before approval is guaranteed and that could be a very large investment with no guarantees.

As for Rhinos, they have both Black and White Rhinos on Kilimanjaro Safaris, Javan Rhinos are Critically Endangered and I believe only exist in a sanctuary. I think that only leaves Indian Rhinos. There really are a lot of opportunities for a full on Asian Safari, or at the very least another Animal Walk through in Asia.

As for Florida Panthers, I think they could help anchor a North American land for animals, and would be an excellent choice for a conservation message for the park.

I wish AK would build something akin to SeaWorld's Polar Expedition.

You know, cool, a break from the 'jungle + African jungle + Asian jungle' theme, interesting animal displays that you are not likely to see at your local zoo, and even a ride.

Possibly combined with an Ice Age America extinct animals zoo or some such.

DAK just needs a some expansion, another land. Personally, I prefer more exhibits over more rides, to set AK apart from the other theme parks.

I'd love to see something like Wild Arctic as well, except I feel that the ride associated with those exhibits is horrible.

Would this have resulted in a walking path to Rafiki's Planet Watch, or would that have completely closed to guests?

I really liked the idea someone had on here regarding a 1 way/1 track train, it could even be set up with side by side tracks and a switch track beyond the station akin to the San Francisco Trolley Cars. It would allow this to continue to exist while saving space to access the large expansion pad.

tirian

Would this have resulted in a walking path to Rafiki's Planet Watch, or would that have completely closed to guests?

I really liked the idea someone had on here regarding a 1 way/1 track train, it could even be set up with side by side tracks and a switch track beyond the station akin to the San Francisco Trolley Cars. It would allow this to continue to exist while saving space to access the large expansion pad.

I'm not sure what the exact plans were. I know we came >thisclose< to getting a version of Mysterious Island, but not necessarily in that location. Other people might claim MI was only a rumor or Blue Sky talk, but it was actually quite close to getting the greenlight. (For that matter, a new Tron attraction in Tomorrowland was 99.9% guaranteed, and that fell apart too.) :(

Got to go back to work now; lunch is over. :lol:

GrumpyFan

It is what happens when something attempts to break the mold. AK is not quite a zoo and not quite a theme park. When a guest goes in expecting one or the other they tend to come out disappointed.

Perhaps, but I think the fact that it's not quite a full day's experience for most also weighs pretty heavily in the disappointment. Also, I might buy that argument, except for the fact that Busch Gardens, Tampa offers a very similar experience, and most guests to that park seem to enjoy it more than AK.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Perhaps, but I think the fact that it's not quite a full day's experience for most also weighs pretty heavily in the disappointment. Also, I might buy that argument, except for the fact that Busch Gardens, Tampa offers a very similar experience, and most guests to that park seem to enjoy it more than AK.
It has been a while since I have been to Busch Gardens in Tampa but I have always seen it as amusement park first zoological park second. AK is right about 50-50 but if I had to gauge an edge it would go to zoological park at AK. As a theme park you are correct. AK does not have a full day there but when you add in the zoo element it goes past a full day. The problem is most people I talk to and see in the parks treat the zoo elements like theme park attractions. I can not tell you home many people I have seen walk through the jungle trails at full speed. They might stop for a few seconds but for the most part they go from A to B as fast as possible. Personally I think the whole "Nahtazu" promotion really skewed peoples perception of AK in the wrong direction as it is really more like a zoo than it is a theme park.

autigger

I personally love AK due to the incredible theming and detail throughout the park, but I can totally understand how someone could be left underwhelmed if they are not impressed by that aspect. It just doesn't have enough rides, end of story. People who travel long distances to go to these parks don't want to pay $80 to see animals. I'm sure they like seeing the animals, but they are surely expecting that plus a whole lot of Disney stuff besides that. The safari is really cool, but to me it is not "Disney" enough to separate it from other safari type attractions. Take that away and you have a few (though very good) shows, a pretty boring rapids ride by rapids ride standards, and just two rides that people come to expect from Disney: Everest and Dinosaur. This park really needs more true Disney rides to make people feel like they got their money's worth. That is fine they wanted to break the mold, but it didn't really work. Add more rides and they will satisfy everyone.

I agree 100%. well put.

cheezbat

I'm not sure what the exact plans were. I know we came >thisclose< to getting a version of Mysterious Island, but not necessarily in that location. Other people might claim MI was only a rumor or Blue Sky talk, but it was actually quite close to getting the greenlight. (For that matter, a new Tron attraction in Tomorrowland was 99.9% guaranteed, and that fell apart too.) :(

Got to go back to work now; lunch is over. :lol:

Continually hearing things like this...and then hearing how they get the ax really makes me cringe when thinking about the future of the WDW resort. After FLE, what's next? Sitting back and doing practically NOTHING for the next few years is not gonna work...especially seeing how Universal is beefing up their resort with additions in the coming years.

Animal Kingdom IS a nicely themed park. It IS a pretty nice Zoo, but could use more animal habitats. As a theme park, it fails. Definitely not enough rides and attractions. The park needs all three of those things to really work and sell it as a quality Disney experience.

MotherOfBirds

I like the idea of Mysterious Island but I'm having a little difficulty seeing how it fits into AK thematically. Anyone wanna take a swing at this?

MickeyPeace

My biggest problem with DAK (aside from the fact that it is the one park I generally skip when I visit, my last trip was when Everest opened) is that it's novelty wears off after a trip. The attractions are fun, when the line aren't long. The animals are cool to look at, but what really seperates the park from any other Zoo out there.

What separates AK from a zoo?

• Attractions
  • Theme
  • Restaurants
  • Shows
  • Detail
  • Disney
    For starters.

Novelty wears off? I don't see novelty at AK. I see the most richly themed Disney park in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom