any harry potter fans?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Also, while I loved the 5th book, it was loooooooong. I think she could come up with a good, quality 6th book that needn't be quite so extreme.

Stitch79

After reading all the posts I'm almost afraid to read the books. I have really enjoyed the movies so far and it sounds like if I read the books now the movies will be very disappointing. :(

imagineer99

Originally posted by Stitch79
After reading all the posts I'm almost afraid to read the books. I have really enjoyed the movies so far and it sounds like if I read the books now the movies will be very disappointing. :(

The Books are a billion times better than the movies.

Also, Dizknee_Phreek READ THE THIRD BOOK before you see the movie.

Azkaban is probably the best in the series. It's not to long, it's got a zippy plot, and it has ONE HECK of an ending.:)

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Originally posted by imagineer99

Azkaban is probably the best in the series. It's not to long, it's got a zippy plot, and it has ONE HECK of an ending.:)

:lol: Well, now that finals are over and I can FINALLY have some 'me' time, maybe I can read the book before the movie hits the big screen (I'm a slow reader, so we'll see). I also have Return of the King to finish reading. Usually I'm done with LotR by now (I read those after I saw the movies), by school got in my way this year. So yeah, I have some catching up to do with my reading. I'll start reading the third Harry, though. ;)

barnum42

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
i hate it when movie series changes cast/crew members - e.i. directors, composers, actors. i know of several movies which were great, but the sequel was horrible because of such changes...

Whilst that is more often the case, there are at least a couple of exceptions -

Alien & Aliens. Both great movies and different flavours.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by barnum42
Whilst that is more often the case, there are at least a couple of exceptions -

Alien & Aliens. Both great movies and different flavours.

Your point is right on, but I have to say, I loved Alien and hated Aliens, but I also love Ridley Scott and hate James Cameron.

I've generally been happy with the films, and they seem about as faithful to the source material as is possible in a 2-3 hour film. Unlike many stories, the source material is so rich that all the director needs to do is get that story onto the screen rather than "punching it up" or "improving" it in any dramatic way.

I think the biggest difference I've felt between the books and films has been with Snape, and I think I like the film take a bit better.

In the books, Snape seems more malevolent to me than he does in the film. The books make me feel like Snape really does hate Harry (and details revealed in the most recent book seem to back that up), but in the films, I almost feel like he is just a strict teacher and Harry may not like him, but he generally seems to have Harry's best interest in mind.

Has anyone else noticed that difference?

MKCustodial

Originally posted by garyhoov
I think the biggest difference I've felt between the books and films has been with Snape, and I think I like the film take a bit better.

In the books, Snape seems more malevolent to me than he does in the film. The books make me feel like Snape really does hate Harry (and details revealed in the most recent book seem to back that up), but in the films, I almost feel like he is just a strict teacher and Harry may not like him, but he generally seems to have Harry's best interest in mind.

Has anyone else noticed that difference?

Yeah. That's why I'm curious about what they're gonna do in "Prisoner". Snape REALLY loses it with the kids near the end.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Originally posted by barnum42
there are at least a couple of exceptions -

this is true, and this is why i didn't post the original Star Wars trilogy. I realized there were exceptions to my post, which is why i only talked about the ones which changed cast/crew and were horrible because of that change. I didn't mention the ones who had changed cast/crew and were better because of it. Star Wars falls under the latter catagory. George Lucas directed the first released Star Wars (as he has the newest three, which is probably why they're not as good as they COULD be) while two other fellas directed Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (my personal favorite). imo, the originally trilogy gradually got better because of the change of directors.
sometimes movie series needs changes, sometimes it's their doom. in my first post about this, i focused on the changes being its doom and wrapped it up by saying that i hoped it wouldn't be Harry's doom. but yes, there are changes that benefit some movie series, so i do hope that's the direction the Harry Potter series will take. and from the previews I've seen, the new movie looks to fit in well with the other two...it just seems a bit darker. and from what i hear, the mood of the books gradually becomes darker, so they still seem to be sticking very closely with the books. i don't think we'll see any problems out of the new director.

stitch rocks

Alan Rickman is one of the few things that I actually like about the movies. He does play a great (a little bit more caring) part.

i loved him in love actually and dogma. it's nice to know u has a nice side when most people know him as professor snape

WDWSwashbuckler

The Books are a billion times better than the movies.

I must say I totally agree with you here! I absolutley love POA. I actually just finished reading it again for the umpteenth time. It's a wonderful read, and by the end, you totally don't want it to end. But, hey, it will push you to read the 4th, so that's not entirely bad, is it?

WDWSwashbuckler

I also must say that the movie under new direction looks absolutely amazing. It's got a certain life to it that the other two lacked. I don't know, but I can't wait to see if I'm proven right (or wrong). In either case, I loved the other two as well. Ah well, ok, I'm done with my random ramblings now!

barnum42

Originally posted by stitch rocks
i loved him in love actually and dogma. it's nice to know u has a nice side when most people know him as professor snape
If you would like to see his softer side track down "Truly Madly Deeply", I don't know if it is well known in America, but it's best described as a British version of "Ghost".

For more laughs Rickmann style head for Galaxy Quest.

MKCustodial

Ok, this is one is HOT from the oven: the title of book 6 is OUT!!!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Apparently, JK said this was gonna be the name for book 2, but she eventually figured Chamber of Secrets would fit it better. Now, she also mentioned that this title has NOTHING to do with either Harry or Voldemort.

She lost me, really. If it was only half blood, I'd have said Hermione. But it's PRINCE. Hagrid, maybe?

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
thanks, MKCustodial!
maybe the title is refering to a new character...after all, she's always introducing new characters in every book. *shrugs*

AliciaLuvzDizne

MKCustodial said:
Ok, this is one is HOT from the oven: the title of book 6 is OUT!!!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Apparently, JK said this was gonna be the name for book 2, but she eventually figured Chamber of Secrets would fit it better. Now, she also mentioned that this title has NOTHING to do with either Harry or Voldemort.

She lost me, really. If it was only half blood, I'd have said Hermione. But it's PRINCE. Hagrid, maybe?
i wanna guess: dudley dursley.

im having a thought...ok here we go
Wizzards, as children, only show powers when they're upset or frightened. The Dursleys have spoiled Dudley his whole life, so there is no real reason for those powers to have come out...therefore no Hogwarts letter when he was 11.
I mean the Dursleys seem almost AFRAID of Dudley...afraid his powers will come out perhaps??
not to mention...he SAW a dementor...right?? somewhere it says only wizzards can see dementors.

even if he isnt the half blood prince...there SOMETHING about Dudley... and i also think Petunia is hiding something as well, maybe she knows about her son?

imagineer99

AliciaLuvzDizne said:
i wanna guess: dudley dursley.

im having a thought...ok here we go
Wizzards, as children, only show powers when they're upset or frightened. The Dursleys have spoiled Dudley his whole life, so there is no real reason for those powers to have come out...therefore no Hogwarts letter when he was 11.
I mean the Dursleys seem almost AFRAID of Dudley...afraid his powers will come out perhaps??
not to mention...he SAW a dementor...right?? somewhere it says only wizzards can see dementors.

even if he isnt the half blood prince...there SOMETHING about Dudley... and i also think Petunia is hiding something as well, maybe she knows about her son?

That's a very interesting idea...I think that Rowling may follow that path.

However, Dudley was scared out of his mind twice (with the pigtail in the first book and with the Dementors in book five). Wouldn't he have showed his powers then?

Nevertheless, the potter books (while fantastic) have quite a few plot holes. So maybe, this will just be one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom