any harry potter fans?

MKCustodial

I guess in Goblet they mention something that he's very white, snake-like features, red eyes...

And truth be told, I have NO ONE in mind. So Malkovich better be good! hehehe

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Oooooh, I think that's pretty good casting personally (I think there are two big problems casting this role 1. everybody imagines him a bit differently when they're reading 2. There are no actors out there who are truly evil enough). I think he's got the talent to pull it off.

The only concern I have: He doesn't really look like the Tom Riddle from the previous film, does he?

MKCustodial

Originally posted by garyhoov
The only concern I have: He doesn't really look like the Tom Riddle from the previous film, does he?

Well, he doesn't really look like Matt Damon, and yet he was old Mr. Ripley.

Hollywood doesn't care. :lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by MKCustodial
Well, he doesn't really look like Matt Damon, and yet he was old Mr. Ripley.

Hollywood doesn't care. :lol:

:lol: Good point! It's also easy to justify that the EVIL may have twisted his features from a handsome young man into this:

malkbg.jpg

tenchu

I imagined Alan Rickman would be good, but he seems to be busy when they're filming for some reason... :lol:

Unfortunately, I wont get to see this new film until 3 months after they release it, ruining my first weekend viewing of each film in the series so far. Damn them!

Goofette

Originally posted by garyhoov
:lol: Good point! It's also easy to justify that the EVIL may have twisted his features from a handsome young man into this:

malkbg.jpg

I actually think he'll be very good in this role. He looks evil in this picture anyway.

Pippa

I had heard rumours over here that Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean/Blackadder) was in the running for the part although I love the idea of John Malkovich I think most of the cast are british so far. Are they likely to carry on the tradition of using brits??

Lhriangel

Originally posted by Pippa
I had heard rumours over here that Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean/Blackadder) was in the running for the part although I love the idea of John Malkovich I think most of the cast are british so far. Are they likely to carry on the tradition of using brits??

I believe the goal is to have whatever nationality is portrayed by the characters in the book be the nationality in the movie. (i.e. Fleur is french, Krum is russian (right?), etc.)

NowInc

not sure if it was already mentioned (too lazy to read all the pages of this thread)..but they have already started filming on the next harry potter film :)

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
i hate it when movie series changes cast/crew members - e.i. directors, composers, actors. i know of several movies which were great, but the sequel was horrible because of such changes...The Mummy Returns, for example...everyone from The Mummy came back except the composer which, imo, made it lose a good portion of its magic. One of the best examples though is the Home Alone series. The first two were great, but they lost pretty much everyone from the first two on the thrid one. They could've at least had the houses on the same street or something to tie the three together....the third is completely out of place. not to mention the fourth. one more example...Jurassic Park. the first was awesome, the second was pretty good, and the third was horribly predictable. they let Joe Johnston direct it instead of Speilberg...what were they thinking?! not to mention Michael Crichton wasn't credited with writing the screenplay, unlike the first movie (for pete's sake, he started the series with his books, let him help with the screenplay). i was overjoyed that sam neill came back, but the casting of william h. macy (even though i like macy, he doesn't fit in with JP) and tea leoni made me :hurl: hopefully the fourth installment will be better. though, i'd love for them to go back to the first island! I want to see what kind of damage the dinosaurs have done to the place since all the humans left.

anyway, i said all that to say this...hopefully, even though the Harry Potter movie series has changed directors, it will live up to the standards that Chris Columbus set with the first two.

speck76

I actually preferred the soundtrack to the second Mummy movie, it had more of a classic, epic feel to it that the first movie did. I really hope they come out with another Mummy movie (besides the Scorp King franchise)

Mikey4WDW

Harry Potter fans

Hello, Yes I also am an avid Harry Potter fan. I really like the Chamber of Secrets but I am especially excited about the 3rd one that is coming out I think on April 4th, 2004. I have a bunch of friends and family that are going to go on release date. I hope this won't be redundant (I haven't had time to read all the posts in this thread), but I had heard on an interview on late night cable that the director of the 4rth one to be made, is trying to woo Kate Winslet to play a witch of some sort.

imagineer99

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

anyway, i said all that to say this...hopefully, even though the Harry Potter movie series has changed directors, it will live up to the standards that Chris Columbus set with the first two.

Personally, I'm glad Columbus left. He created stagnant, uninspired films. The current director, is in my opinion, a more talented and visionary man.

I like the HP books so much, that I wish they would have stayed simply as books. The movies leave out so many plot elements that they barely function on their own. Not to mention the slow prodding pace, the dark color cinematography, and a very weak script, and you've got something that ruins all the majesty and they mystery of the books.

If you've never read the books, and simply see the movie, you come out thinking very little of the series (my dad fell asleep on the first one). The endings of the books, which are geniously conceived, are completley tarnished in the film translation. In the second film, when Ginny is revealed to have opened the chamber, at least five people in the theater I was in yelled, "who the heck is that?"

Hopefully, Azkaban will put some much needed "magic" into the series.

Some books make great movies, others are better left in the collective imagination of the reader.

If they can bring Harry Potter to the big Screen, why has the genius work of author Jerry Spinelli been overlooked?

*steps off soapbox*:)

MKCustodial

Ok, this one is HUGE. Of course, take it with an appropriately huge grain of salt.

Rumor is going around about the sixth book. Two days ago, the Daily Record said that the new book would be coming out THIS SUMMER, and that it'd called Harry Potter and the Green Flame Torch. Of course, none of this was confirmed by Bloomsbury. The only details known about the sixth book are that we'll be getting a new minister of magic and that Harry won't be very long with his uncle and aunt, the shortest period of time yet.

However, the Cinescape site says they were informed by one of their sources that printing should be starting no later then September 8th, the covers are already on the approval stage and that they should be announced to the public in August.

JK took almost a year and a half between 4 and 5. Ok, she got married and had a baby, and had the pressures of the first movie coming out, but doesn't this seem a bit TOO fast? Of course, during the time we figured she was working on 5, she COULD be working on 5 AND 6, you know, to get things going. For all we know, she could be working on 5 till 7, to REALLY get it all connected.

What do you think?

MouseMadness

What do you think?

I think that's awesome! You may be right about working on both books at the same time, I am not a writer, but I'd assume that maybe some parts of the story write themselves faster than others. Perhaps she found herself on "a roll" and was able to make a bit of a smaller gap this time. I hope so, anyway!

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Originally posted by imagineer99
Personally, I'm glad Columbus left. He created stagnant, uninspired films. The current director, is in my opinion, a more talented and visionary man.

Ah, good! I don't believe I've ever heard of the new director, so I wasn't sure how good he is.

The movies leave out so many plot elements that they barely function on their own. Not to mention the slow prodding pace, the dark color cinematography, and a very weak script, and you've got something that ruins all the majesty and they mystery of the books.

Yes, good points. The second Harry Potter book is the only one I've read before seeing the movie (so far. I doubt I'll have time to read the third before the movie) I had such high expectations for the movie. I wanted to see the ghost death party more than anything. Of course, that scene never made it into the film. To me, the second movie was fairly boring. I easily stay awake during the first film, but I fell asleep at the theater while watching the second...I'm not sure I've ever seen the entire thing to be honest. There was just something missing in the second one.
But I too have noticed the dark cinematography. Though I'm not sure how they could change that and get the same mood. I don't think they need bright colors, especially as the series progresses. Personally, I think the dark colors are fitting.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Ok, this one is HUGE. Of course, take it with an appropriately huge grain of salt.

Rumor is going around about the sixth book. Two days ago, the Daily Record said that the new book would be coming out THIS SUMMER, and that it'd called Harry Potter and the Green Flame Torch. Of course, none of this was confirmed by Bloomsbury. The only details known about the sixth book are that we'll be getting a new minister of magic and that Harry won't be very long with his uncle and aunt, the shortest period of time yet.

However, the Cinescape site says they were informed by one of their sources that printing should be starting no later then September 8th, the covers are already on the approval stage and that they should be announced to the public in August.

JK took almost a year and a half between 4 and 5. Ok, she got married and had a baby, and had the pressures of the first movie coming out, but doesn't this seem a bit TOO fast? Of course, during the time we figured she was working on 5, she COULD be working on 5 AND 6, you know, to get things going. For all we know, she could be working on 5 till 7, to REALLY get it all connected.

What do you think?

That would be fantastic! As Christy says some writing just seems to come quicker than others. In fact, I think some of the best probably comes a bit quicker because it works so well and doesn't need to be "forced".

I was thinking it was a lot longer than a year and a half between the 4th and 5th though:veryconfu I thought it was more like two or three years. Fall/winter of 2004 would be close to a year and a half.

If it comes out before my December trip to Disney, Ryan can read it to me on the way down!:sohappy: :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom