Another Recent Returnee, With Controversial Opinions

dixiegirl

My family and I just returned from a 9 day trip to WDW. This was our first trip in 7 years, and the first trip for my two kids (B6, G3). Overall we had a great trip and my kids want to go back immediately.

After about my 10th Disney experience (beginning with the 1964 New York World’s Fair), including two trips to Disneyland and about 7 or 8 trips to WDW, I come away with the following impressions (many I’m sure the fans here will find irritating).

• The Rides – Disney rides need a thorough updating. Back in 1964, my first experience with the animatronics was nothing less than breathtaking. No one had seen such marvels before. I remember a man emphatically telling my father that the Abe Lincoln animatronic we were watching was actually a real man! Back in 64 (I was 7), this stuff was cutting edge science and technology. Today the animatronics (for the most part) seem stiff and phony. They seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café here in SE Michigan. With the tameness of the coasters at WDW, theming is everything. The animatronics don’t seem to cut it any more. I appreciated that they added that mist projection thing at the beginning of Pirates. This is a step in the right direction, but not enough to hold up the ride.
o Jungle Cruise – I took my first ride in probably 20 years. Really sad. The only thing that made it interesting was the jokes, and many of them were about how sad the ride had become (the guide made some crack that ‘if you think this ride is lame, check out the Hall of Presidents (we didn’t).
o Carousel of Progress – I saw this one in 1964. It is still charming, but the last scene definitely needs an update. For all the Disney nostalgists out there, this is probably the only ride worth preserving IMHO.
o The New Nemo ride at Epcot – Yawn. It seems an afterthought. Nothing to knock my socks off.
o Stitch Escapes – I was shocked at how much they kept from the previous incarnation of this ride. They ought to gut that building in do something new and unique.
o The Tommorowland Speedway – Here is one example of a ride that Dollywood actually does better. These noisy exhaust belching relics are incredibly out of place anywhere in a high tech amusement park. How about electric cars? How about cars that wont give a little kid a twisted arm from a wild steering wheel once the vehicle hits the guide tracks?
o Snow White, Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan – These are nothing more than slightly upscale fun houses as found in the local traveling carnivals around the country. Cheap.
o Country Bear Jamboree – Sad. Though the park was pretty full, this ride was more than half empty. It seemed nobody cared. They were just dropping in to get away from the heat. These old rides remind me of having to watch the same old re-runs of old TV shows over and over. If it isn’t a thrill ride, then the 30 year old jokes are bound to be outré at some point.
o Haunted Mansion and Pirates – I loved them back in ’73. Today they are hokey and in need of MAJOR renovation. I fear the refurb planned for HM will not cut the muster.
o Muppets 3D – Another example of Disney coasting on something that worked 10+ years ago.
o Kilamanjaro Safari – Frankly, I don’t get it. I could barely understand what the guy on the radio was saying. Poor sound. The whole poaching thing was unnecessary. The breakaway bridge is barely noticeable. Just show us the animals and can the lame attempts at show.
o The Great Movie Ride – More dusty outdated animatronics.
o Lights Motors Action Stunt show – Cool, but too long. Too much explanation for me. Just give me the show.
o Rides I liked – Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Buzz Lightyear. Most, sadly seem to be rides that don’t have the animatronics.
All in all, I think Disney lacks the spirit of innovation and wonder that Walt Disney brought to the table. I know many of you are just fuming over the thought of gutting the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, but I think Walt would be searching for that magic that had people really believing back in ’64. Hanging on to the nostalgia for the sake of security is not what made the Disney parks great, and in another generation, if nothing radical is done, nobody is going to care anymore.
• The food – In a word, Horrible. We ate in the hotels, in the sit down places, Chefs de France, Boma, Boatwrights, Wolfgang Puck, Counter service, Hoop De Doo Review. 90% of the food was pretty lousy. And I am NOT a picky eater or a food-returner. My best meal was at a restaurant I hate locally – Rainforest Café.
• The Resorts themselves are great – My main regret after 9 days of running from theme park to water park to show, was that I didn’t schedule some down time to enjoy our resort (Port Orleans Riverside). It’s a beautiful place with lots to do.
• The Waterparks are a highlight. Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are great. Last time I was there, I decided I liked BB better for their cool and better slides, this time we liked TL better for its superior landscaping and better music. As far as the music goes, though, they are playing the same stuff they played there 10 years ago, for the most part. If I worked there I’d have gone totally insane. Especially BB, with the constant Xmas music and reggae rehashes.

Despite, the disappointments, WDW is a fascinating place that offers up a ton of fun. I am still impressed by the sheer size of the place. Just incredible. Next time, however, I might actually venture beyond the world to see what else there is in the greater Orlando area – like Universal studios. Bigger and better coasters, I hope.

Yes to each each is own....Perhaps this site suits you more www.universalstudios.com

PLTram

Original Poster
"But it does suck when you go on a costly vacation and you as the paying adult, do not have a great time."

Again, I did have a great time. Just because I don't agree with everyone's opinions about the clunky animatronics doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself. Insisting that I had a terrible time seems to be some kind of defense mechanism for those unable to argue the facts.

I want to stress again, Walt's animatronics had wow factor 40 years ago. Much of them have changed little in 40 years. If Walt were around today, would he be satisfied with using 40 year old tricks, or would he be looking at things with a critical eye as I have?

dixiegirl

Again, I did have a great time. Just because I don't agree with everyone's opinions about the clunky animatronics doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself. Insisting that I had a terrible time seems to be some kind of defense mechanism for those unable to argue .

Well It did'nt sound like you had a zippity do da time...and if you did'nt realize why we are so defensive.........it's a disney fan site....perhaps you should email disney with your complaints and suggestions.......

Cattman96

I would hate to misquote Walt but wasn't he who said"I go on a ride to see what is wrong with it, not to see what is right with it"? I could be wrong. Maybe this guy is similar. I just go on a ride to enjoy personally.

svickersart

I'm going to comment on your post, I think your missing the whole idea of Disney. You might be more suited for Six Flags.

• The Rides – Disney rides need a thorough updating. Back in 1964, my first experience with the animatronics was nothing less than breathtaking. No one had seen such marvels before. I remember a man emphatically telling my father that the Abe Lincoln animatronic we were watching was actually a real man! Back in 64 (I was 7), this stuff was cutting edge science and technology. Today the animatronics (for the most part) seem stiff and phony. They seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café here in SE Michigan. With the tameness of the coasters at WDW, theming is everything. The animatronics don’t seem to cut it any more. I appreciated that they added that mist projection thing at the beginning of Pirates. This is a step in the right direction, but not enough to hold up the ride.

Disney works on improvments to the AA's as with Lucky, most of the AA's are found in the more classic rides, read what people say about the changes to POTC, think of what they would do if they took it out.

o Jungle Cruise – I took my first ride in probably 20 years. Really sad. The only thing that made it interesting was the jokes, and many of them were about how sad the ride had become (the guide made some crack that ‘if you think this ride is lame, check out the Hall of Presidents (we didn’t).

The skipper makes this ride, its supposed to be corny, ride late at night with no kids for PG-13/R rated versions. You missed out by skipping HoP's.

o Carousel of Progress – I saw this one in 1964. It is still charming, but the last scene definitely needs an update. For all the Disney nostalgists out there, this is probably the only ride worth preserving IMHO.

WOW! you saw this at the worlds fair, wish I could say that. This is a classic, the last scene doesnt need to be upgraded, they need a sequel attraction moving beyond the last scene.

o The New Nemo ride at Epcot – Yawn. It seems an afterthought. Nothing to knock my socks off.

Havent seen it yet cant comment.

o Stitch Escapes – I was shocked at how much they kept from the previous incarnation of this ride. They ought to gut that building in do something new and unique.

This attraction is new and unique, they just changed Alien Encounter to an Alien we all reconized.

o The Tommorowland Speedway – Here is one example of a ride that Dollywood actually does better. These noisy exhaust belching relics are incredibly out of place anywhere in a high tech amusement park. How about electric cars? How about cars that wont give a little kid a twisted arm from a wild steering wheel once the vehicle hits the guide tracks?

I have never ridden this, I have ridden Autopia at D/L a few times, I agree there should be some upgrades, I like the electric car idea, but the kiddies love this because they can drive.

o Snow White, Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan – These are nothing more than slightly upscale fun houses as found in the local traveling carnivals around the country. Cheap.

Thats the whole idea behind these ride, classic dark rides like a carnival. I've only ridden Pooh at D/L, not a big Pooh fan, they should have kept Toad and put Pooh somewhere else, (same with D/L) these are classics and loved by all.

o Country Bear Jamboree – Sad. Though the park was pretty full, this ride was more than half empty. It seemed nobody cared. They were just dropping in to get away from the heat. These old rides remind me of having to watch the same old re-runs of old TV shows over and over. If it isn’t a thrill ride, then the 30 year old jokes are bound to be outré at some point.

They took it out at D/L, some updates to the routines would be great and so much can be done with this. Another classic.

o Haunted Mansion and Pirates – I loved them back in ’73. Today they are hokey and in need of MAJOR renovation. I fear the refurb planned for HM will not cut the muster.

Now your getting sacraligious, these two attractions are staples of Disney Theme parks, they are supposed to be a bit hokey and fun. The idea is to enterain, not scare.

o Muppets 3D – Another example of Disney coasting on something that worked 10+ years ago.

Muppet vision is a wierd one, I'm not a Muppet fan, it is an entertaining show though. In Florida they line up out the door for this show, in CA they dont fill the theater, I think it has more to do with the international guests. Keep it in Florida, take it out in CA.

o Kilamanjaro Safari – Frankly, I don’t get it. I could barely understand what the guy on the radio was saying. Poor sound. The whole poaching thing was unnecessary. The breakaway bridge is barely noticeable. Just show us the animals and can the lame attempts at show.

This I hear is getting some changes this month, I love this attraction, Disney always tells a story, for some its exciting, for others lame. next time, put in your ear buds and look at the animals, ignore the show.

o The Great Movie Ride – More dusty outdated animatronics.

Hmmmmm, more dusty AA's? I remember some real actors on this one putting on a show along with those AA's.

o Lights Motors Action Stunt show – Cool, but too long. Too much explanation for me. Just give me the show.

Havent seen it, but again, Disney tells a story, if you just want cars try your county fair DD or local racetrack.

o Rides I liked – Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Buzz Lightyear. Most, sadly seem to be rides that don’t have the animatronics.

RRC, great coaster, you might want to try S/F's if thats all you want. ToT, this is destined to be a Disney staple like POTC and HM. TT, fun. Space Mountian, I will not ride WDW's SM until they gut it and rebuild like they did at D/L. D/L's SM is awsome, WDW's is really lacking now, very uncomfortable and I keep wanting to duck.. EE, WOW! this in one of the best coasters I have ever ridden, great addition to WDW. Buzz, well, this is a classic dark ride type attraction, it uses those AA's you hate, same ride system as HM only you get to turn it (ours in CA is better) its interactive though, and thats the future of theme parks, a mix of the classics and modern interactive attractions, see Toy Story Mania.

You missed Soarin which is awsome, Star tours, and many more.

All in all, I think Disney lacks the spirit of innovation and wonder that Walt Disney brought to the table. I know many of you are just fuming over the thought of gutting the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, but I think Walt would be searching for that magic that had people really believing back in ’64. Hanging on to the nostalgia for the sake of security is not what made the Disney parks great, and in another generation, if nothing radical is done, nobody is going to care anymore.

I agree partly with this comment, I dont think Disney as a whole lacks Walts vision, there are people there that share his vision, its just now its all about money. The best idea can get nixxed real fast by the guys that set the budget. Theres a lot of compatition out there and Disney will remain a front runner and as much as those of us that want to see so many great things for the parks, there is only so much you can do budget wise. If they dont make a profit they dont stay in business and theme park attractions are very expensive. You cant o something "radical" such as remove those classics, we go through fases in life. When we are young these classics are amazing, then we hit a point where the "thrill" is what we want, later we want to share those amazing things with our kids and as they hit that "thrill" stage, if we can we enjoy it with them partly because we are still in that stage ourselves. Later we hit a point where the "thrill" isnt what we seek anymore and we want the nostalgia of those classics again. It all comes down to a mix that everyone in the family can enjoy. From the youngest children, to the tweens and teens, young adults with kids of their own and grandparents.

• The food – In a word, Horrible. We ate in the hotels, in the sit down places, Chefs de France, Boma, Boatwrights, Wolfgang Puck, Counter service, Hoop De Doo Review. 90% of the food was pretty lousy. And I am NOT a picky eater or a food-returner. My best meal was at a restaurant I hate locally – Rainforest Café.

I think WDW has some of the best food around, even the food courts are good. I went to Universal CA a few years ago and theres both a SF's and Paramont park near me I have been to and the food doesnt compare to Disney.

• The Resorts themselves are great – My main regret after 9 days of running from theme park to water park to show, was that I didn’t schedule some down time to enjoy our resort (Port Orleans Riverside). It’s a beautiful place with lots to do.

I have only stayed at the budget places and they were fine, I'm not there for the resorts, I'm there for the parks.

• The Waterparks are a highlight. Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are great. Last time I was there, I decided I liked BB better for their cool and better slides, this time we liked TL better for its superior landscaping and better music. As far as the music goes, though, they are playing the same stuff they played there 10 years ago, for the most part. If I worked there I’d have gone totally insane. Especially BB, with the constant Xmas music and reggae rehashes.

I dont go for the water parks myself so I have never tried them, they look great though.

Despite, the disappointments, WDW is a fascinating place that offers up a ton of fun. I am still impressed by the sheer size of the place. Just incredible. Next time, however, I might actually venture beyond the world to see what else there is in the greater Orlando area – like Universal studios. Bigger and better coasters, I hope.

You can book a package at Univ Studios just like Disney, that might be the place for you. Sounds like pixie dust isnt your thing. As stated before, shorter lines for the rest of us.

Wilt Dasney

I don't get the need to "defend" Disney myself. Somehow I think the multi-million dollar global entertainment behemoth can take care of itself without me stepping in. If this guy says he had fun and plans on going back, I'm sure they're happy to continue taking his money while he finds more stuff to criticize.

And "why don't you just go to Universal?" borders on childish to me. I don't agree with all the nitpicks this guy has, but what better place to post them then HERE? :shrug:

disneytopdog

I love WDW and can't get enough of it. The anticipation of my trip in July is killing me and we're about 51 days out. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN...TRY 122 DAYS...... But thats only 2,928 more hours.

I just cant wait to see all those horrible, outdated AA's and ride all those LAME old rides. Like I do year after year

OneLuckyMom

Maybe the OP is not used to all the fresh ingredients and spices at the places like Chefs and Boma. Maybe a little McWithdrawl??

IMO the majority of the counter food isn't worth the money, the sit downs is where you can truly experience some culinary delights: Chefs, Boma, Jiko, Yachtmans, Flying Fish... but if your used to a steady diet of McPreservatives you probably wouldn't like it.

In defence of the OP, I ate at Chefs De France last summer and I thought it was awful too. The flavors were either too weak, or completely overdone. My escargot - a favorite of mine - were swimming in a sauce that had so much lemon in it I could barely eat them. The savory crepe I had was horrendously sweet. The desert was so unmemorable that I have no clue what I even had 10 months later. I've been to France several times, and every time I thought I had died and gone to heaven when it came to the food - from the corner bistros to the high-end restaurants, everything I have eaten has been amazing. French cooking is about balancing flavors. Chefs de France has not found that balance.

disneytopdog

There is something I notice about myself.
I love roller coasters and the fast thrill rides. I live an hour from Orlando and have an annual pass to both WDW and Universal. I go to WDW whenever I get a chance. I have been to Universal twice in 7 months. The rides at universal are great. There is no Hulk or mummy coaster at WDW. Dueling Dragons is great.
However...
beyond the actual moment of being on Hulk, Mummy or others, Universal is not "an Experience". The overall "show" and atmosphere of WDW is so far beyond Universal that I have gone to the parks just to walk around them.
I bet you that if you tried to take a 5 day vacation to Universal on your next trip (or Busch Gardens, or a six flags) by the 3rd day you would be wishing you were at WDW because there you are immersed in the overall Disney experience, something that to this day none of those other parks have even come close to figuring out how to accomplish.

/quote]

I live 5 minutes from the front gate of a Six Flags park. I have not been inside that park in 18 years. I went to Disneyland as a child many times. I get to WDW as often as I can as an adult. You are so right it is all about the Disney experience.

snoble

Perhaps the AA seem outdated to you because you are looking at it from an
analytical perspective. What were you expecting them to do, address you by name????:shrug:

I live in Canton,MI and if you are saying that the food at the Rainforrest Cafe in Great Lakes Crossing is better than the food at Boma's I think you may have ordered on a bad night.:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

PLTram

Original Poster
I don't get the need to "defend" Disney myself. Somehow I think the multi-million dollar global entertainment behemoth can take care of itself without me stepping in. If this guy says he had fun and plans on going back, I'm sure they're happy to continue taking his money while he finds more stuff to criticize.

And "why don't you just go to Universal?" borders on childish to me. I don't agree with all the nitpicks this guy has, but what better place to post them then HERE? :shrug:

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

If you all read my second post, I, like you, am a Disney fanatic. I was hooked as a 7 yr old back in '64. I dreamed and obsessed over this vacation for 3 years. If I'd have known back in high school that there was such a career path as imagineer, I'd have followed it. I am a theme park nut, not a hater (by the way, I'm a man, contrary to an earlier post being sorry for my husband).

I don't hate WDW. I love it. After seeing this stuff for 43 years, I just wish it were better. If Walt wanted to cater to everyone's sense of nostalgia, then there wouldn't be any animatronics in the first place. WDW would be filled with Ferris Wheels and merry-go-rounds.

With daily advances in science and technology, do you think your grandkids and great grandkids are gonna come back for POTC and the Haunted mansion 40 - 50 years from now? How about 100 years on? At some point these attractions will be relics. Walt Disney gave us the future. It was so great that many of you are now defending his 40 year old vision and hanging on to it like a security blanket.

Thanks for making this conversation a lively one. I love it. :sohappy:

lilclerk

You are so right it is all about the Disney experience.

We went to Universal one day our of our 8 day trip, and my boyfriend, who is not the diehard Disney fan that our friend and I are, said "This place is fun but.. it's just not Disney."
I loved him even more after that :lol:

PLTram

Original Poster
I have never ridden this, I have ridden Autopia at D/L a few times, I agree there should be some upgrades, I like the electric car idea, but the kiddies love this because they can drive.

That is part of the problem with this ride. My 7 year old nephew exeeded the height requirement for this ride and took his own car around the track. Unfortunately, he caused a major traffic jam because he didn't have the strength to hold down the accelerator. The cars uncomfortable to operate for adults, let alone the target audience. This would be the first ride I would update. How about little electric space ships or something to go with the tomorrowland theme?

Now your getting sacraligious, these two attractions are staples of Disney Theme parks, they are supposed to be a bit hokey and fun. The idea is to enterain, not scare.

Walt is rolling in cryogenic pod. These rides were not hokey back in '73 when I first saw them. They wowed adults and kids alike. While not intended to be scarey, they were cutting edge back then. They aren't now. Again, hopefully the HM refurb will correct some of the problems - like the 'wooden' ghouls slowly popping up from behind the headstones near the end of the ride. Rainforest cafe could do it better.

DisneyNut2007

(though I'm not a fan of the Pirates changes)...

Well, then, get used to the Pirates changes, please. Show some appreciation for them.

If you can appreciate almost everything else that they've done, you can most certainly appreciate the PotC upgrades as well. They had their reasons for doing them, you know.

lilclerk

That is part of the problem with this ride. My 7 year old nephew exeeded the height requirement for this ride and took his own car around the track. Unfortunately, he caused a major traffic jam because he didn't have the strength to hold down the accelerator. The cars uncomfortable to operate for adults, let alone the target audience. This would be the first ride I would update. How about little electric space ships or something to go with the tomorrowland theme?

I definitely agree with this. They shouldn't take it away, it's fun for the kids, but it really needs a major refurb =\

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

If you all read my second post, I, like you, am a Disney fanatic. I was hooked as a 7 yr old back in '64. I dreamed and obsessed over this vacation for 3 years. If I'd have known back in high school that there was such a career path as imagineer, I'd have followed it. I am a theme park nut, not a hater (by the way, I'm a man, contrary to an earlier post being sorry for my husband).

And that's the problem, isolated, in bold print, and there for you to really step back and look at yourself to consider "what went wrong."

I can honestly say that I have no idea what i'll be doing in 3 years. Think about how long 3 years is and how much you obsessed.

Try to go and enjoy anything with 3 years worth of obsession leading up to it. Be sure to research, have plenty of resources, know everything before you get there. Build up how amazingly wonderful it's going to be. Convince your wife and kids, get the planning DVD, make dining reservations exactly 180 days out - everything!

... and the view of the Grand Canyon wont be so stunning. The Great Barrier Reef wont have as many fish as you'd have thought. The Eifel tower is kind of short - and why don't they fix the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

SallyfromDE

I can understand some of what the origional post was saying, even tho' I don't agree with most of it. But working in big business, I know that things don't happen over night. And there is always something that has to be done that is more important. Like working on SSE vs. Country Bears. These rides also have sponsors. They contribute to the care and updating of the ride and/or attractions. A sponsor may be more inclined to refurb SSE the a sponsor for Country Bears. I'm also sure the refurb of SSE has been in the planning for years.

Walt designed the parks to be for families. I guess he was tired of sitting on that park bench. Not everyone is into the concept of Universal. I'm not. I went there twice and refuse to go back. We had a handicap party with us, and the treatment was deplorable. Six Flags, I'm not into constantly having a RC thrown down my throat. Disney is the right fit for my family.

I'm into theming. I'd like to see more of it. Jack Skellington at the HM. The Speedway themed to the movie Cars. I'd also like to see souvenirs that are more one of a kind. When you get off HM, you find HM things that you won't get anywhere else. You won't find MGM goods at MK. As for the food, in most cases, I don't think it's bad. It's pretty stand fair. How many hamburgers can you eat in a week?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom