Another Recent Returnee, With Controversial Opinions

mary219

"But it does suck when you go on a costly vacation and you as the paying adult, do not have a great time."

Again, I did have a great time. Just because I don't agree with everyone's opinions about the clunky animatronics doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself. Insisting that I had a terrible time seems to be some kind of defense mechanism for those unable to argue the facts.

I want to stress again, Walt's animatronics had wow factor 40 years ago. Much of them have changed little in 40 years. If Walt were around today, would he be satisfied with using 40 year old tricks, or would he be looking at things with a critical eye as I have?

OK so you had a good time,but looking back on your trip,you see what could have made it much better,correct?:)

PS if walt disney was around today,you are right,he would probably looking to see how much better everything could be.With global warming on the rise,perhaps Walt will be back.:lol: OK that was a really bad joke.

Cynderella

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

If you all read my second post, I, like you, am a Disney fanatic. I was hooked as a 7 yr old back in '64. I dreamed and obsessed over this vacation for 3 years. If I'd have known back in high school that there was such a career path as imagineer, I'd have followed it. I am a theme park nut, not a hater (by the way, I'm a man, contrary to an earlier post being sorry for my husband).

I don't hate WDW. I love it. After seeing this stuff for 43 years, I just wish it were better. If Walt wanted to cater to everyone's sense of nostalgia, then there wouldn't be any animatronics in the first place. WDW would be filled with Ferris Wheels and merry-go-rounds.

With daily advances in science and technology, do you think your grandkids and great grandkids are gonna come back for POTC and the Haunted mansion 40 - 50 years from now? How about 100 years on? At some point these attractions will be relics. Walt Disney gave us the future. It was so great that many of you are now defending his 40 year old vision and hanging on to it like a security blanket.

Thanks for making this conversation a lively one. I love it. :sohappy:

If you love it so much you would appreciate it much more than you apparently do. Usually people that "love" disney world dont have nearly as much to complain about as you do.

PLTram

Original Poster
Dont come back to my WDW,go to universal or better yet STAY HOME!!

Now we're talking! Would this be the official Disney line? How about I choke on my Max and Erma's burger? These are some great rebuttles, keep them coming!

Or better yet, how about arguing the points?

JDM

I'm also a recent returnee

As you probably noticed by now, you were bound to ruffle some feathers on this board. Par for the course.

I, too, just returned recently and we apparently shared some of the same activities, including staying at POR.
With the exception of the World's Loudest Air Conditioner (which sounded like a Model T when it cycled on and off), we absolutely loved the resort! Ambience, decor and quiet (except for the Model T) were wonderful! The food at Boatwright's was okay. Not gourmet, but good enough. We were unimpressed with the food at Wolfgang Puck's and BOY was that place loud! Wouldn't go back, but again, good enough at the time. Ironically, we too had our favorite meal of the trip at Rainforest, which was the one meal we actually had to pay out-of-pocket for (we were on the dining plan and they don't participate).
Overall, the food was "just okay". But we didn't eat in any of the "upscale" eateries, so maybe we just missed out. Nevertheless, we never had any BAD food or service and we don't go to WDW for the food anyway.

I understand your comments about the animatronics, particularly Jungle Cruise. But some are better than others. I still think Pirates works well and Haunted Mansion is a creaky classic (though I look forward to the refurb--it should get even better!)

I agree on Tomorrowland Speedway, but I believe there has been talk about a major refurb of that attraction, too, including electric cars and possible CARS movie theming.

Can't agree on NEMO. Loved it and thought it was very well done. Twice, in fact!
Also can't agree on Kilimanjaro. No trouble understanding or hearing the spiel and the animals were all visible and active. (though I didn't think a repeat ride was necessary). Also, I thought the bridge was a cute touch.

SNOW WHITE is a bit ill-conceived, mostly from the standpoint of target audience. Too scary for young kids and too tame for older ones. But POOH was fine and PETER PAN was the best of the three! (Twice, again!)

As I said, animatronics vary in effectiveness. DINOSAUR was a terrific use of them and it's my new favorite ride. And who doesn't love Ben Franklin walking up the stairs or Abe Lincoln standing up from his desk? (well, I guess you don't, but you get my meaning...)

Finally, did you catch the more recent technology in Turtle Talk or Monsters Laugh Floor? Both were outstanding and this I believe, is the future of Disney technology. You might like these better, if you haven't already seen them.

Overall, I found it to be a nice mix of classic and contemporary, vintage and state-of-the-art.

And Lord knows there's plenty to do.

Cattman96

The original poster seems to have just done a summation of other threads that were on here. There are a lot of negative threads on this board about the same things he is concerned with. He is probably looking a these rides and seeing what he thinks can be better. If everything was good enough, would anything really ever be good enough? I say cut him a bit of slack. In my business I would have to pay someone to point out my flaws, and tell me where I could do better. I am always welcome to critique. I would hope everyone else would be without taking it to personally. Just my 2 cents.

Now we're talking! Would this be the official Disney line? How about I choke on my Max and Erma's burger? These are some great rebuttles, keep them coming!

Or better yet, how about arguing the points?
Not worth the effort,you sure type alot,You had such a bad time I don't have to waste my time You wont be back!!

Chickapin Chick

Let's all be careful not to attack the OP. While it makes me quite sad that he does not find certain aspects of WDW as magical as I do, I am certainly not about to tell him to go to Universal or to stay home. I am exceptionally passionate about the Disney theme park experience, and I am always ready to defend its honor. I mean, in my book, to call the Haunted Mansion a dated attraction is equivalent to blasphemy. But I understand that WDW, like many things in this world, is incredibly subjective.

IROC it

BTW- everyone attacking my statement about WDW being "for kids primarily" is missing the point that it is for literal kids and kids at heart.

Some of "us" seem to have trouble with the latter.:lol:

I know it's for families (I'm about to go for the 8th trip -this time with the biggest amount of family I could convince to go -10)!

I am about to "convert" 6 never-beens to future-return-guests.:animwink:

I get it.:lookaroun

SallyfromDE

My family and I just returned from a 9 day trip to WDW. This was our first trip in 7 years, and the first trip for my two kids (B6, G3). Overall we had a great trip and my kids want to go back immediately.

After about my 10th Disney experience (beginning with the 1964 New York World’s Fair), including two trips to Disneyland and about 7 or 8 trips to WDW, I come away with the following impressions (many I’m sure the fans here will find irritating).

• The Rides – Disney rides need a thorough updating. Back in 1964, my first experience with the animatronics was nothing less than breathtaking. No one had seen such marvels before. I remember a man emphatically telling my father that the Abe Lincoln animatronic we were watching was actually a real man! Back in 64 (I was 7), this stuff was cutting edge science and technology. Today the animatronics (for the most part) seem stiff and phony. They seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café here in SE Michigan. With the tameness of the coasters at WDW, theming is everything. The animatronics don’t seem to cut it any more. I appreciated that they added that mist projection thing at the beginning of Pirates. This is a step in the right direction, but not enough to hold up the ride.
o Jungle Cruise – I took my first ride in probably 20 years. Really sad. The only thing that made it interesting was the jokes, and many of them were about how sad the ride had become (the guide made some crack that ‘if you think this ride is lame, check out the Hall of Presidents (we didn’t).
o Carousel of Progress – I saw this one in 1964. It is still charming, but the last scene definitely needs an update. For all the Disney nostalgists out there, this is probably the only ride worth preserving IMHO.
o The New Nemo ride at Epcot – Yawn. It seems an afterthought. Nothing to knock my socks off.
o Stitch Escapes – I was shocked at how much they kept from the previous incarnation of this ride. They ought to gut that building in do something new and unique.
o The Tommorowland Speedway – Here is one example of a ride that Dollywood actually does better. These noisy exhaust belching relics are incredibly out of place anywhere in a high tech amusement park. How about electric cars? How about cars that wont give a little kid a twisted arm from a wild steering wheel once the vehicle hits the guide tracks?
o Snow White, Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan – These are nothing more than slightly upscale fun houses as found in the local traveling carnivals around the country. Cheap.
o Country Bear Jamboree – Sad. Though the park was pretty full, this ride was more than half empty. It seemed nobody cared. They were just dropping in to get away from the heat. These old rides remind me of having to watch the same old re-runs of old TV shows over and over. If it isn’t a thrill ride, then the 30 year old jokes are bound to be outré at some point.
o Haunted Mansion and Pirates – I loved them back in ’73. Today they are hokey and in need of MAJOR renovation. I fear the refurb planned for HM will not cut the muster.
o Muppets 3D – Another example of Disney coasting on something that worked 10+ years ago.
o Kilamanjaro Safari – Frankly, I don’t get it. I could barely understand what the guy on the radio was saying. Poor sound. The whole poaching thing was unnecessary. The breakaway bridge is barely noticeable. Just show us the animals and can the lame attempts at show.
o The Great Movie Ride – More dusty outdated animatronics.
o Lights Motors Action Stunt show – Cool, but too long. Too much explanation for me. Just give me the show.
o Rides I liked – Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Buzz Lightyear. Most, sadly seem to be rides that don’t have the animatronics.
All in all, I think Disney lacks the spirit of innovation and wonder that Walt Disney brought to the table. I know many of you are just fuming over the thought of gutting the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, but I think Walt would be searching for that magic that had people really believing back in ’64. Hanging on to the nostalgia for the sake of security is not what made the Disney parks great, and in another generation, if nothing radical is done, nobody is going to care anymore.
• The food – In a word, Horrible. We ate in the hotels, in the sit down places, Chefs de France, Boma, Boatwrights, Wolfgang Puck, Counter service, Hoop De Doo Review. 90% of the food was pretty lousy. And I am NOT a picky eater or a food-returner. My best meal was at a restaurant I hate locally – Rainforest Café.
• The Resorts themselves are great – My main regret after 9 days of running from theme park to water park to show, was that I didn’t schedule some down time to enjoy our resort (Port Orleans Riverside). It’s a beautiful place with lots to do.
• The Waterparks are a highlight. Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are great. Last time I was there, I decided I liked BB better for their cool and better slides, this time we liked TL better for its superior landscaping and better music. As far as the music goes, though, they are playing the same stuff they played there 10 years ago, for the most part. If I worked there I’d have gone totally insane. Especially BB, with the constant Xmas music and reggae rehashes.

Despite, the disappointments, WDW is a fascinating place that offers up a ton of fun. I am still impressed by the sheer size of the place. Just incredible. Next time, however, I might actually venture beyond the world to see what else there is in the greater Orlando area – like Universal studios. Bigger and better coasters, I hope.

Why don't you print this out and send it to Disney? Let them know what your thinking. They can't fix what they don't know about. You might confirm what they've heard from other sources.

DisneyChik17

Why don't you print this out and send it to Disney? Let them know what your thinking. They can't fix what they don't know about. You might confirm what they've heard from other sources.

That is the most constructive thing that has been said in this thread.

I am sorry that your visit was not as magical as you had planned for it to be. We had a less magical, but still alright, vacation to WDW. There were a few things that just did not sit right with us. We went again in April and everything was great. I don't suggest that you stop going or only visit Universal or whatever else people are saying. Do what you enjoy and what fits for your family.

PLTram

Original Poster
As you probably noticed by now, you were bound to ruffle some feathers on this board. Par for the course.

I, too, just returned recently and we apparently shared some of the same activities, including staying at POR.
With the exception of the World's Loudest Air Conditioner (which sounded like a Model T when it cycled on and off), we absolutely loved the resort!

Finally, did you catch the more recent technology in Turtle Talk or Monsters Laugh Floor? Both were outstanding and this I believe, is the future of Disney technology. You might like these better, if you haven't already seen them.

I loved the POR resort too. I hope I'm allowed back some day.

....And yes I saw Turtle Talk and Monsters Laugh floor - I especially enjoyed the latter as I was singled out in the crowd to interact with the monsters. Perhaps some of you saw me on the big screen last Saturday around 1:00 pm (I was the great horned devil from Detroit). These rides are pretty cool, and utilize the latest technology, though they don't wow me like the animatronics did back in the 60s and 70s. But this technology is certainly along the lines of what I am speaking about.

PLTram

Original Poster

I would love to. In fact I considered it, but then I remember reading here or somewhere that it is fruitless to try and make suggestions to corporate Disney.

Does anyone have an address I could use? I would love for them to hear from someone other than those that think everything is great forever and relate change to "blasphemy."

duck_daddy

I loved the POR resort too. I hope I'm allowed back some day.

....And yes I saw Turtle Talk and Monsters Laugh floor - I especially enjoyed the latter as I was singled out in the crowd to interact with the monsters. Perhaps some of you saw me on the big screen last Saturday around 1:00 pm (I was the great horned devil from Detroit). These rides are pretty cool, and utilize the latest technology, though they don't wow me like the animatronics did back in the 60s and 70s. But this technology is certainly along the lines of what I am speaking about.
Of course not your a grown-up now! At 7 television amazes you! My opinion if you don't like it, don't spend your hard earned money going!

Slipknot

o The Great Movie Ride – More dusty outdated animatronics.

Which AA did you see dust coming from? GMR AAs may be outdated, but the Witch is one of the most advanced AAs ever (she is only operating at 34% of her full capacity). I worked at GMR for over a year and I never saw any dust. :lookaroun Then again, the whole ride (scenes, props, AAs) is cleaned/dusted every night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom