Another Recent Returnee, With Controversial Opinions

Dayma

I am not sure that post could get any more negative. I respect his/her opinion but i still find it hard to understand how you had fun but disliked most of the rides. I hope your next trip is better for you..

eagles

i think that anyone that wants those thrill rides should go to an amusement park, where they have thrill rides.

disney world to me, is a themed resort, where the family can enjoy the whole experience together. my young children and i can go on most of the rides and come off laughing. the important thing for us, as a family is that we can vacation as a family together.

plus there are so many other areas, besides rides, there are shows, there are water parks, marina's, bike rides, boat rides, parades, fireworks, great themed restaurants, i could go on and on and on, but i will stop at that.

i understand what you are saying, however, if thrill rides are what you want, i think you need to go to an amusement park. this is what i tell my oldest daughter, and my hubby who has never been to disney.

this last time i went, i finally talked my hubby into going, he only went on EE (as a thrill ride). he is now talking about another trip to disney next year. disney converted him! LOL.

wedway71

i think that anyone that wants those thrill rides should go to an amusement park, where they have thrill rides.

disney world to me, is a themed resort, where the family can enjoy the whole experience together. my young children and i can go on most of the rides and come off laughing. the important thing for us, as a family is that we can vacation as a family together.

plus there are so many other areas, besides rides, there are shows, there are water parks, marina's, bike rides, boat rides, parades, fireworks, great themed restaurants, i could go on and on and on, but i will stop at that.

i understand what you are saying, however, if thrill rides are what you want, i think you need to go to an amusement park. this is what i tell my oldest daughter, and my hubby who has never been to disney.

this last time i went, i finally talked my hubby into going, he only went on EE (as a thrill ride). he is now talking about another trip to disney next year. disney converted him! LOL.
Hey Eagles-profile named for the band????

DVC Dave

Overall we had a great trip and my kids want to go back immediately.

After about my 10th Disney experience (beginning with the 1964 New York World’s Fair), including two trips to Disneyland and about 7 or 8 trips to WDW, I come away with the following impressions (many I’m sure the fans here will find irritating).

The kids having fun is all the really matters. If you don't like Disney or are irritated mt it....go somewhere else

sittle

Stick to McFood...

• The food – In a word, Horrible. We ate in the hotels, in the sit down places, Chefs de France, Boma, Boatwrights, Wolfgang Puck, Counter service, Hoop De Doo Review. 90% of the food was pretty lousy. And I am NOT a picky eater or a food-returner. My best meal was at a restaurant I hate locally – Rainforest Café.

Maybe the OP is not used to all the fresh ingredients and spices at the places like Chefs and Boma. Maybe a little McWithdrawl?? There is a McDonalds at Downtown Disney, I'm sure the OP can be McHappy with their food.

IMO the majority of the counter food isn't worth the money, the sit downs is where you can truly experience some culinary delights: Chefs, Boma, Jiko, Yachtmans, Flying Fish... but if your used to a steady diet of McPreservatives you probably wouldn't like it.

justducky78

Not sure what to say...I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and glad you "somewhat" enjoyed your trip! :lol: The only point I really agree with you on, is the safari at AK - I also agree that the "show aspect" is unecessary, as the animals themselves are amazing and the "show" sort of cheeses it up.

I love the originals (the classics) and some may need some updating, but here's the thing. I feel like people are so used to the newest and greatest technology now that nothing seems "cool" anymore. Sort of like people being desensitized to violence, now it doesn't bother people seeing decapitated heads on TV. Some people are so used to seeing new uses of technology in movies, etc at home that themeparks just aren't as impressive (to some people) anymore. We didn't used to have rainforest cafes, or other-type restaurants, disneyquests, etc near our hometown - we had to travel to CA or Orlando to see stuff like that! I still love WDW and I'm impressed (still) by the animatronics, etc. They're constantly updating the parks with newer, more impressive attractions (mission space, rock-n-roller, etc) but they still need to maintain that disney-feel that keeps people coming back (nothing gives makes me feel more at home than walking around the magic kingdom) and I think they're doing a good job of it.

It sounded like you liked most of thrill rides (I do, too) so maybe you're just a thrill junky and nothing else will cut it for you! :lol:

PLTram

Original Poster
Maybe the OP is not used to all the fresh ingredients and spices at the places like Chefs and Boma. Maybe a little McWithdrawl?? There is a McDonalds at Downtown Disney, I'm sure the OP can be McHappy with their food.

IMO the majority of the counter food isn't worth the money, the sit downs is where you can truly experience some culinary delights: Chefs, Boma, Jiko, Yachtmans, Flying Fish... but if your used to a steady diet of McPreservatives you probably wouldn't like it.

Presumptuous ad hominem attacks do not a good argument make. I haven't eaten at McDonalds (or any fast food places) in months. I am not a foodie, nor do I lay around stuffing my face with hamburger helper. I'm glad you like the food at WDW. I've found dozens of Detroit area restaurants and national chains that do a better job. This is just one man's opinion. No need to get all defensive.

PLTram

Original Poster
I am not sure that post could get any more negative. I respect his/her opinion but i still find it hard to understand how you had fun but disliked most of the rides. I hope your next trip is better for you..

I had a wonderful time. It seems many of you have not read my second post (it's on the first page). Again, if I were to focus on all the good stuff, we wouldn't be having this rousing conversation.....

WDWFigment

While I share the opinion that WDW food is generally wonderful, I find it ironic that you contrast elements of WDW to McDonaldized products when WDW is typically second-most common for being attacked as McDonaldized by social scientists (look up Disneyization or Disneyification on Google Scholar...there's even a popular book about the phenomenon).

Anyway, while there are several points that I could take up, others seem to be doing that, so I will focus on your abhorrence of PotC. You know this had a rehab last summer where they replaced some AAs? The auctioneer and Jack Sparrow AAs are some of the most advanced in the park. What would you suggest be done here, insert real pirates? I really don't see what could be done with this attraction to bring it up to your standards.

wdwmomof3

Well, I, like most everyone else here, love WDW and everything about it. My husband is not a theme park junkie but he too loves DW. I think that they do a wonderful job with everything there and to me it just get's better and better with each trip.

The only ride that I was a little disappointed in this last trip was It's a Small World but then I have to remember that it is a classic. I sat in the boat and remembered when I went through with my Grandmother years ago and how she was afraid of water and thought the boat would sink. I just had to smile and almost laugh out loud. See, these classic rides hold memories for so many people who return year after year with our families. I say leave the classics and just add more rides, shows and attractions. There will be more to see and do.:animwink:

wdwmomof3

Boy, I sure feel sorry for here husband and kids. If WDW can't make you happy, then nothing can. Including Family.

It's funny, I was thinking the same thing but surly he didn't complain all week. It sound like he was just reflecting on the trip later and wanted to see what we thought.:shrug:

raven

Back in 1964, my first experience with the animatronics was nothing less than breathtaking. No one had seen such marvels before. I remember a man emphatically telling my father that the Abe Lincoln animatronic we were watching was actually a real man! Back in 64 (I was 7), this stuff was cutting edge science and technology. Today the animatronics (for the most part) seem stiff and phony. They seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café here in SE Michigan.

:lol: Gotta love that aligator at Great Lake Crossing!

Personally I think the AA's are better than any other non-Disney's attempt with robotic figures. Disney has perfected them and some of the new ones seem very life-like to me (Stitch, Jonny Depp, Lucky, etc.).

Don't go to the parks to analyze every attraction and show. Leave that to the real critics. Go to WDW to get away from the real world and have fun! The magic can take over you if you let it and let loose your inner child like Walt always wanted us to. :wave:

k.hunter30

I could not disagree more with your comment about the food!

I just came back a few days ago from our trip. I went with average expectations for the food - it IS park food after all. However I never remember it being so good! Boma, Le Cellier, Chefs de France - all some of the best meals I've had! Too bad you didn't have the same experience...

PigletIsMyCat

First thing to remember -and don't forget it- WDW is for kids primarily, with some "bones thrown" to the adults.

Wrong. Walt created Disneyland as a place where he could take his daughters and enjoy it with them, as opposed to, say, watching them have fun on swings at the park. At WDW, there are many things aimed towards adults, the most obvious being some of the corny oh-so-subtle jokes, like on Jungle Cruise. To insinuate that WDW is built for kids with a few things thrown in for the adults is insane. That indicates that adults only like the rides for nostalgia purposes ('I rode PotC when I was a kid'). WDW was built for FAMILIES - so kids and adults could enjoy things together. It's just as magical for a 50-something to see Cinderella's Castle for the first time as it is for a 5-year-old.

mary219

I would agree that a few of the older rides and attractions are for nostalgia and childhood long gone.For me,hall of presidents ,snow white ,peter pan are definitely ways to recapture my childhood.When I went to disney for the first time in 1973,i was 9 and was amazed and remember ,it was not a grand scale type of place at that time.In this day and age,kids have so much electronics and computerized images,that it is a little bit hard to get them excited about certain attractions or for you ,as the parent ,perhaps a little disappointment in their reactions to what you thought was amazing as a kid.( i am talking kids a little older,like 7 or above,small children will be easier to please as far as rides and attractions go).

That being said,I think that it is important to sit back and enjoy your resort and pool and some food.And of course ,it is a theme park and yes, much of the food may not be the greatest,but the point is to enjoy the family time together.I have older children,18 and 19 who could care less about a vacation with me,but my 10 year old and my 8 year old are so excited just to be traveling to a different state ,flying ,staying in a resort hotel(as opposed to a week in upstate ny in a camping cabin at yogi bears campground).I guess I have learned how very fast your children grow up and i am trying to enjoy my younger children more because of that very fact.I guess that is why older kids in families complain"you never let me get away with that":lol:

So,enjoying yourself has a lot to do with your perspective ,i intend on a little resort time,some park time ,some restaurant service (instead of me being the chef ,waitress and busboy).For big over the top rides,six flags in nj really cant be beat (at least around here),so for the older kids and 10 yr old son,i will make a day this summer for that trip.

And yes i dont expect all the food to be as good as i read about here on the boards,but being served and eating at the same time as everyone else at the table and my food will actually be hot,THATS ENOUGH OF A REASON FOR ME TO GO:ROFLOL:

I have a sister in disney right now and she is having a miserable time(staying off property and has 5 kids 10 and under,),she is actually heading home a day early.I actually feel guilty because i am staying on property ,have free dining ,am flying and only bringing 2 kids who are pretty independent as far as everyday needs go.Disney could use some updating ,but i will try my hardest not to get stressed and feel as if i have to do everything in the parks.At least ,your kids had fun,so that should make you feel a little better.But it does suck when you go on a costly vacation and you as the paying adult, do not have a great time.

Cattman96

Wrong. Walt created Disneyland as a place where he could take his daughters and enjoy it with them, as opposed to, say, watching them have fun on swings at the park. At WDW, there are many things aimed towards adults, the most obvious being some of the corny oh-so-subtle jokes, like on Jungle Cruise. To insinuate that WDW is built for kids with a few things thrown in for the adults is insane. That indicates that adults only like the rides for nostalgia purposes ('I rode PotC when I was a kid'). WDW was built for FAMILIES - so kids and adults could enjoy things together. It's just as magical for a 50-something to see Cinderella's Castle for the first time as it is for a 5-year-old.

Not to mention that no matter how much the kids like the place, If the parents don't enjoy also they are not going to come back year after year.

PigletIsMyCat

A few more things.

On the food: have you eaten at Universal? No comparison. Take away the restaurants at Downtown Disney and CityWalk, and take away the WDW Resort's awesome array of eateries, and Disney's in-park offerings are thousands of times better than Universal's. Now, add back in great restaurants like Boma and Le Cellier, etc. etc. Disney wins, hands down. Mom, DH, and I actually have been known to cancel the chicken I was making for dinner to go to WDW property for dinner (Biergarten anyone?)

As for listing every negative thing you could think of about your trip to WDW on these boards and expecting the other members to become engaged in a 'rousing conversation', seriously? Posting 'I hated this, this, that, this, this, and that' about your trip on a board filled with crazed Disneyphreaks is not going to start an intelligent conversation-debate, with each of us stating why we do or do not agree with you on this point or that. It's primarily going to involve the Disneyphreaks defending their turf. Even when we agree with a point or two, we then will knock down every other point we can. Sorry, it's just our way :D .

Also, as far as rides like Peter Pan being outdated and in need of updating: Why? It consistantly has lines as long as Splash Mountain and runs out of FastPasses first. Why fix something that isn't broken? And, there is talk of it being a shame that Disney doesn't use all the technology they can. But, then, there is bashing of Finding Nemo. How is that not technologically kind of cool? I do not live under a rock, nor in the backwoods of some hick planet without electricity. I live near Disney. I go on a regular basis. I worked for the company. And I was THRILLED with Finding Nemo. I thought it was cool the way they used the LCD screens (or whatever they are) set in rocks, and the end of the ride through the aquariums was AWESOME!! Every time I ride Finding Nemo, someone in the cars around us says something about 'all the fake fish, why didn't they make them all look like Nemo? Why did they try to make them look real?' People don't realize what it is because they don't realize it can be done. (People also take flash pictures of it....grr... which is another thread altogether.)

Capt. Salty

PHP:
First thing to remember -and don't forget it- WDW is for kids primarily, with some "bones thrown" to the adults.[PHP][/PHP]

Totally wrong. It's a place for Families! If all that you get out of it is this idea, then you've completely missed the point!:mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom