Another Recent Returnee, With Controversial Opinions

CThaddeus

Jack is in only THREE scenes in the ride, not four, which is actually a rather small percentage.

Get used to change CThaddeus. Also, the changing of the Tiki Room show does NOT do it injustice.

I lied. One last post about this. You are right. Jack is only IN three scenes, but he's mentioned in three as well. Net effect is four references, or 50%:
1. Attack on the fort - Barbossa wants Jack...new script.
2. Dunking of the Mayor - Classic pirate now wants Jack...new script. Jack appears at the tail end of the scene.
3. Pooped Pirate - New script talking about the treasure and keeping it from Jack. Jack's in the barrel next to him.
4. Final scene. Jack only.

Next, while change is inevitable, we all don't have to froth at the mouth with happiness when it happens. If I don't like the change, I'm not going to pretend I do. That's just plain dumb. If you like it, great for you. I don't.
And don't even get me going on how loud and obnoxious Under New Management is. I'm only glad Disneyland didn't make the same mistake Disney World did. Again, my opinion, but I think this opinion is a little more commonly shared.

nibblesandbits

Gee, I wonder who this comment is aimed at. :rolleyes:

To expect to be wowed by a visit to Disney is not an unreasonable expectation. I think the critiques the OP had were all reasonable ones, and I can understand why he would be disappointed in those aspects of his visit.

And to the OP: I didn't get the impression at all that you had an unenjoyable trip overall. I understood that you were just being critical of those areas. The fact that so many people missed that point is reflective of some very closed-minded thinking.
That comment really wasn't aimed at anyone in particular...it might have been based off what was said by you...but it's really been something that I've been thinking for a while...it was just triggered by what you said. Honestly.

And yes, I agree that people should expect to be "wowed" by Disney...but there's going to be a point in which your expectations exceed reality...especially if you've been building something up in your head for years on end. Plain and simple.

bugsbunny

need a thorough updating
stiff and phony
seem little more impressive than the robots that adorn my local Rainforest Café
tameness of the coasters
animatronics don’t seem to cut it
not enough to hold up the ride
only thing that made it interesting was the jokes
how sad the ride had become
needs an update
an afterthought
Nothing to knock my socks off.
gut that building
Dollywood actually does better.
noisy exhaust belching relics
twisted arm from a wild steering wheel
slightly upscale fun houses as found in the local traveling carnivals
Cheap
the same old re-runs of old TV shows over and over.
30 year old jokes are bound to be outré at some point.
hokey and in need of MAJOR renovation
Disney coasting
I don’t get it
Poor sound
unnecessary.
lame attempts at show.
dusty outdated animatronics.
too long.
Too much explanation
sadly seem to be rides that don’t have the animatronics
Disney lacks the spirit of innovation and wonder
The food – In a word, Horrible
90% of the food was pretty lousy
I hate
they are playing the same stuff they played there 10 years ago

A COMPLIMENT!!! I am still impressed by the sheer size of the place.

While I think the point you are trying to make is that things ain't what they use to be at WDW, you bascially just pulled out your marker and mark an "F" on every report card. I highlighted all of the negative things you said in black. Seriously....no matter what spin you put on this, you basically came looking like an aficionado expert with NOTHING nice to say other than WDW covers some acerage!

Amusingly the only thing that actually impressed you is the shear size of the place. I'm not trying to pick on you or pick apart your posting, but I just can't believe that you found 90% of the food bad and that 95% of the attactions stink.

C'mon! Be serious with your reviews if you are going to post anything. You could have just saved us all the trouble of reading your post and just said "I got back after my 49th trip. I'm pleased to report that I'm awed by the size of the place; the water parks are fun; only eat that the hotels because everywhere else stinks; and the only thing worth seeing at any park is Mission Space.

And I'm guessing Mission Space simply because its the only E-ticket ride I can think of you didn't list as "junk". :animwink:

And you can let the secret out....when's your next trip? You ain't fooling anyone here, you will be back and Disney knows it. :ROFLOL:

PLTram

Original Poster
While I think the point you are trying to make is that things ain't what they use to be at WDW, you bascially just pulled out your marker and mark an "F" on every report card. I highlighted all of the negative things you said in black. Seriously....no matter what spin you put on this, you basically came looking like an aficionado expert with NOTHING nice to say other than WDW covers some acerage!

Amusingly the only thing that actually impressed you is the shear size of the place. I'm not trying to pick on you or pick apart your posting, but I just can't believe that you found 90% of the food bad and that 95% of the attactions stink.

C'mon! Be serious with your reviews if you are going to post anything. You could have just saved us all the trouble of reading your post and just said "I got back after my 49th trip. I'm pleased to report that I'm awed by the size of the place; the water parks are fun; only eat that the hotels because everywhere else stinks; and the only thing worth seeing at any park is Mission Space.

And I'm guessing Mission Space simply because its the only E-ticket ride I can think of you didn't list as "junk". :animwink:

And you can let the secret out....when's your next trip? You ain't fooling anyone here, you will be back and Disney knows it. :ROFLOL:

I guess I just have to put up with this, as nobody seems to have read my subsequent posts where I said that I chose to highlight those conversation-worthy topics rather than all of the things that I loved about my trip - stuff that would have evoked a few "me toos!" rather than the 10 or so pages of discussion.

Much of the discussion however seems to center around how horrible I find WDW and all seem to have the undercurrent (including yours) that if I hate the place so much, then why aren't I at some other amusement park. Read some of my subsequent posts, please - including the second one (on the first page) where I listed several more (but not all) things I enjoyed about my trip that I didn't mention in the first post. If you need me offer my entire list of everything I liked in order to remain a member in good standing of WDWmagic, I can do that at some point.

I didn't comment on Mission: Space, frankly, because I avoided it. My wife and I were doing the baby swap thing throughout the trip. She and my son wanted to ride the spinning side of M:S, while I sat with the 3 yr old (they said it was great, btw). I am not a big fan of spinning rides, and we only had one day for Epcot, so I decided to skip it. I know I could have gone on the green side, but I just figured the spinning is what makes the ride cool and I opted to do other stuff.

One ride I failed to mention that I did like a lot was Soarin'. So chalk another one up for PLTram Light (as opposed to the evil PLTram Dark).

And if it is trouble for you to read people's posts ("You could have just saved us all the trouble of reading your post and just said..."), why do you bother coming here? I detailed that stuff because I wanted to have a conversation about it.

And yes, I will let the secret out. I told my kids that we will try to get back to WDW in about 5 years. :eek: I never said that I wouldn't be back, but I did say I might try my first trip to Universal next time. And, yes, I plan on riding HM and POTC, So look out Imagineers! I will be looking for improvements!

slappy magoo

I detailed that stuff because I wanted to have a conversation about it.

And now you have, apparently, just not the one you thought you were gonna have.

Honestly, I'm not trying to bust your chops, but let's face it, your original post was a myriad of things you found negative or disappointing during your trip. You can't blame people for taking away negativity about your thread as a result. Any or all of your subsequent posts notwithstanding, most people's comments are going to be about the original post. Hell, some people around here have a conniption whenever there's "thread drift" (could we puh-LEEZE stick to the original topic? If you want to start your own thread about [insert topic here] then fine! THIS thread is about [original topic here] Nuff said!) Now we have people commenting on the original topic and you're upset because nobody is responding to your followup posts! :lol: Can't win for losing!

Helpful word of advice from me to thee: Maybe you didn't mean to come across as so negative in your original post, especially since, as you say, you had a wonderful time. WIth SO many people coming away from you post thinking you were unhappy with your trip, then maybe...juuuuuust maybe...you didn't make your point as well as you thought or hoped. There's no crime in adding an edit to your original post - I'd even recommend putting the edit at the top - saying something along the lines of "EDIT: I've become aware that I came across more negative than I had intended, and have made some followup posts to better explain myself. I know the thread is now an epic poem, but please try to read my followup posts before commenting, as I may have made myself more clear there than here. Sorry for any confusion."

Granted, you don't have to do anything. I'm just trying to offer up some constructive criticism, as you seem to think everyone isn't being fair by posting opinions based on your original post. Take it as you will...

PLTram

Original Poster
Helpful word of advice from me to thee: Maybe you didn't mean to come across as so negative in your original post, especially since, as you say, you had a wonderful time. WIth SO many people coming away from you post thinking you were unhappy with your trip, then maybe...juuuuuust maybe...you didn't make your point as well as you thought or hoped. There's no crime in adding an edit to your original post - I'd even recommend putting the edit at the top - saying something along the lines of "EDIT: I've become aware that I came across more negative than I had intended, and have made some followup posts to better explain myself. I know the thread is now an epic poem, but please try to read my followup posts before commenting, as I may have made myself more clear there than here. Sorry for any confusion."

Great suggestion. I believe I did offer a mea culpa in my oft-quoted second post where I admitted that I was probably overly-negative.

If you don't mind, I think I'll just cut and paste your disclaimer as it was so eloquently put.

nibblesandbits

PLTram said:
I guess I just have to put up with this, as nobody seems to have read my subsequent posts where I said that I chose to highlight those conversation-worthy topics rather than all of the things that I loved about my trip - stuff that would have evoked a few "me toos!" rather than the 10 or so pages of discussion.

You might have wanted discussion...and while there has been some...(although I agree, it's not fair to attack you, as some have done)...I believe that you can deduce that many people feel the exact opposite as you. The rides, for the most part, that you discussed are loved by the majority of the people here...so obviously...there is something that is working for most of us.

While the AAs may seem "outdated" to you...to many of us...they are still just as cool as they were the first time we saw them. I know I've been in awe of them my whole life. And sure, it'd be cool to have them all be state of the art...but the money has to be there in order to make these changes...and as we know...AAs are not cheap to build for a new ride...let alone utterly replace for an old one.

I'll go down the list with you on your points...since that's what it seems you were looking for:

Jungle Cruise...depending on your skipper can be fun...or a snooze fest...so in that respect, I kind of agree. It's one of those rides I can take or leave. But usually do try to ride it if the line isn't horrible.

COP desperately needs a new ending...but we all fear that if Disney touches that...that will be the end of it. Even with it being so dated, it is still one of my favorite rides in the entire World. (And I've only been viewing it for the last 2 years...didn't know it existed until then.)

HM is getting it's refurb...which we still don't know the lengths of that...but I would never want them to completely gut it and start over. It is the perfect amount of scaryness and sillyness...plus it is simply a classic.

Nemo at Epcot...haven't done it...but am holding all judgement on the ride until I can get on it in Sept.

Stitch...well, I didn't like Alien Encounter...but at least I'll attempt to get on Stitch each time. Another ride I'll only do if there's a short line...and usually there is.

Speedway...don't think I've ever ridden that...so I have no way of being able to answer that. I'm sure it probably could use a refurb though.

Pooh, Snow White, Peter Pan...this is a case where not every ride is going to appeal to everyone. Fantasyland...as Disney has even stated, is mostly slanted towards children. Ask your kids if they liked these rides...I can guarantee that for the most part, they did. These are simply classics and I love doing them, because of that fact. (Why else do you think Peter Pan continually has waits that exceed 50 minutes...even on slow days? And Pooh always has a long wait too!)

Pirates: Haven't been on it since the refurb...but it's always been a favorite of mine...I mean who isn't impressed with the hairy leg on the one pirate. And truth be told...on pirates, I'm not paying attention to "how great the AAs look", I'm paying attention to trying to figure out the story. That is so much more important to me.

Muppets...ok...you're right...it is dated...but...if you look at how silly and fun it is...it still makes it a blast. Statler and Waldorf absolutely crack me up every time...and that preshow is hilarious!!!

Killimanjaro: Well, they are working on something with that...so we'll see how that goes.

I agree...I love Rock'n Rollercoaster, Buzz, Space, Test Track...I think those are a lot of fun too...but I also love some of those attractions that you thought were so dated. I can't wait to take my (future) kids on HM, Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc...because I can't wait to see their faces and see how cool they think the place is. That is what I will really be paying attention to, not how lame I think the AAs look. And I just have a feeling that they will think those rides are just as cool as their mommy does. They will be just as impressed at Crush talking to them, or be scared of the HM, just as I was when I was a kid, how cool it is to fly over London in Peter Pan.

So maybe this explaination will help you understand why most of us, simply don't agree with you (and some, childishly chastised you).

slappy magoo

Great suggestion. I believe I did offer a mea culpa in my oft-quoted second post where I admitted that I was probably overly-negative.

If you don't mind, I think I'll just cut and paste your disclaimer as it was so eloquently put.

My pleasure, and thanks for the credit.

Now if only I can get the rest of the world to think I'm right about everything, life would be so much simpler...for me, anyway...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom