Another MK smoking area goes up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWarsGirl

My two cents on the issue:

I personally hate smoking. I'm an asthmatic; it makes me wheeze to be around it. While I fully support reducing smoking areas, I don't think that at this point they should be gotten rid of entirely. I understand that there are people who feel the need to light up. I know it's not easy to quit. Out of my grandmother and her three sisters, my grandmother was the only one able to quit because she figured out that she was allergic to it. Yes, allergic. She would break out in hives. That made her quit very quickly. The rest of my aunts have not been able to quit, despite the fact that they know it's really bad for them. Yes, it's a challenge, and many have not been able to quit, especially those who are over about 60 and could have started before they knew it was so bad and just have not been able to kick the habit. So for now, smoking areas are a necessary evil.

In 10, 20 years? That might change. But for now, too many people smoke. My other concern with complete elimination of smoking areas is that those who feel the need to smoke would light up in non-smoking areas, something that they currently do. I'm afraid eliminating too many smoking areas would make this problem worse.

What I propose is relocating the smoking areas to places that don't have a lot of traffic. My current issue is that they tend to be too integrated with the non-smoking areas, or, as is the case for one area in AK, they are in the middle of the path. I think they should be relocated to areas where most people are not walking, while at the same time making them places people want to go so they don't just light up wherever.

Last edited:

stevehousse

My two cents on the issue:

I personally hate smoking. I'm an asthmatic; it makes me wheeze to be around it. While I fully support reducing smoking areas, I don't think that at this point they should be gotten rid of entirely. I understand that there are people who feel the need to light up. I know it's not easy to quit. Out of my grandmother and her three sisters, my grandmother was the only one able to quit because she figured out that she was allergic to it. Yes, allergic. She would break out in hives. That made her quit very quickly. The rest of my aunts have not been able to quit, despite the fact that they know it's really bad for them. Yes, it's a challenge, and many have not been able to quit, especially those who are over about 60 and could have started before they knew it was so bad and just have not been able to kick the habit. So for now, smoking areas are a necessary evil.

In 10, 20 years? That might change. But for now, too many people smoke. My other concern with complete elimination of smoking areas is that those who feel the need to smoke would light up in non-smoking areas, something that they currently do. I'm afraid eliminating too many smoking areas would make this problem worse.

What I propose is relocating the smoking areas to places that don't have a lot of traffic. My current issue is that they tend to be too integrated with the non-smoking areas, or, as is the case for one area in AK, they are in the middle of the path. I think they should be relocated to areas where most people are not walking, while at the same time making them places people want to go so they don't just light up wherever.
The only smoking area that is really in the way of traffic flow is the one next to the castle. The space mountain and BTMR r both out of the way of guest flow.

StarWarsGirl

The only smoking area that is really in the way of traffic flow is the one next to the castle. The space mountain and BTMR r both out of the way of guest flow.
I'm referring to other parks in addition to MK. A lot of the ones in Epcot are in the flow of traffic. And more specifically, there is one right between DinoRama and Dinosaur! that would take extra time to avoid. I end up holding my breath through it. DHS is probably the best as far as tucking them out of the way IMO

Scuttle

I really don't get it. We're out in the open air. Do I like smelling it? No, but I know the exhaust from the car in front of me on I4 is probably just as bad. Again not defending it, but I just don't get the need for people to get all up in the air (no pun intended) over smoking in a designated smoking area in an open air environment.

Goofyernmost

Before this thread gets locked. My $.02

As a former smoker (quit 2 years ago now!) I would love to see them eliminate smoking in the parks all together. I understand what the addiction is - it took 3x on Chantix before I was able to kick the habit and I still crave every now and then. I can not stand the smell of secondhand smoke anymore or even smelling it on other people's clothes makes me ill.

Also - a lot of people (not everyone) at WDW pay absolutely no attention to the "designated smoking areas" in the parks and light up wherever they want. Castmembers rarely do anything about it. I did NOT notice this when I went to DL last year - I don't specifically remember seeing/smelling smokers anywhere...odd.
Congratulations on quitting. Just a few words for you to remember. I had quit for over 12 years, no longer thought about it, no longer craved them. Then, in a moment that can only be described as "stupid", I thought it would be fun to try one. Long story short... I had to start the process all over again. Granted that doesn't happen to everyone, but, I'm just saying that if you get to the point that you are telling yourself that one will not cause me any problems, DON'T DO IT. Keep hanging in there. :)

draybook

At 5 bucks a pack, I don't understand how anyone can afford to smoke, much less why they would want to. I guess I was lucky, in that in the 5 or 6 years that I did smoke, it was socially. We're talking maybe 4-5 cigs a day. I think I did it more because my friends were than me actually liking it. When my wife, @Runmyhorse, told me to quit, that was it.

While I don't like smoking, I don't care if there's smoking sections that are out of the way. The one by the castle is in an EXTREMELY poor location. Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a smoking section by BTMRR.

MaxsDad

So you few who still smoke be sure to stoke up before going through security at the MK.

This sentence reminds me of a question I have pondered a few times while at WDW resort. When I have stayed at BC or BWV, I use International Gateway almost daily. On more than one occasion, I have seen people smoking between the gate and the ESPN Club while walking along the sidewalk. I know smoking is restricted in the parks and at the resorts. Is this area considered either, or is it no-mans-land?

matt9112

as much as i hate smoke from cigarettes i had no problem with designated areas. (granted some were in bad locations) they should be far off the beaten path in dead end areas. (some already were but some not so much)

on a side note im not a big fan of there self established double standard across theme parks. if you set rules and or policy that is fine but it should be across property not ...you can drink here but not there...or you can smoke at epcot but not MK ect. (thinking out loud)

my view however stems from the fact that i believe more freedom is good even if it may lend to some bad apples.

matt9112

I really don't get it. We're out in the open air. Do I like smelling it? No, but I know the exhaust from the car in front of me on I4 is probably just as bad. Again not defending it, but I just don't get the need for people to get all up in the air (no pun intended) over smoking in a designated smoking area in an open air environment.

im on board with this....and as you also stated some bad locations. nuff said...

Potter

I can see Disney banning smoking tobacco at the parks because there are so many alternatives now for a quick "fix". Personally, I don't have an issue with a person smoking an e-cig anywhere in the park (other than the obvious places) because they are no longer offensive or dangerous.

Nubs70

If I take the time and effort to be courteous and use the available designated areas, could you please extend the same courtesy and leave me be? Seriously, I was in the area at BTMRR, and some man carrying his child gets all in my face over smoking near his child. To which I then pointed at the sign. He persisted to which I replied, "Sir, if my smoking near your child is such concern, maybe you should not be standing in a designated smoking area."

Potter

If I take the time and effort to be courteous and use the available designated areas, could you please extend the same courtesy and leave me be? Seriously, I was in the area at BTMRR, and some man carrying his child gets all in my face over smoking near his child. To which I then pointed at the sign. He persisted to which I replied, "Sir, if my smoking near your child is such concern, maybe you should not be standing in a designated smoking area."

I think that man had every right to chastise you because cigarette smoke is dangerous to others (especially the young) and should not be allowed in the parks. Why don't you use an e-cig when visiting a place that has so many young children who are vulnerable?

Nubs70

I think that man had every right to chastise you because cigarette smoke is dangerous to others (especially the young) and should not be allowed in the parks. Why don't you use an e-cig when visiting a place that has so many young children who are vulnerable?
Because I am not responsible for your health, you are. If you are so concerned over your health, don't stand in the middle of a smoking area and complain about smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom