Another MK smoking area goes up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissAlmyra

I don't mind smokers in the park in designated areas, but the areas always seemed too close to the walking paths: I'm thinking in particular the one in Adventureland.
My partner has severe triggered asthma and it's very frustrating when smoke lingers away from the path and she's scrambling for her inhaler. We'd both be on the side of a park-wide ban, or at least smoking areas that are better sheltered. (We do our best to avoid those areas as much as possible.)
It's hard to realize the impact secondhand smoke has on a person until you live with someone who has an acute sensitivity to it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As long as they continue to push non-US travel, it won't happen.

The rest of the world doesn't hate smoking as much as the US does yet. Yet.
Funny you say that... most of my european destinations banned indoor smoking (including in bars) before most of the US states did.

You think people complain about having to go outside to smoke here? Imagine if that meant going outside when it's 5degrees outside. Yet the smokers still do it diligently :) Snus (tobacco pouches) is more popular now that smoking bans have increased.

WorldKey

A smokeless Disney World is a better Disney World. Smoking and that vapor stuff just needs to be publicly banned. Fine in your own home but there are to many carcinogens in the air for people to have to worry about cigarette smoke.
The total smoke that all of the smokers put in the air in one year in the US is probably less pollution than the car exhaust in one typical day in LA. Health safety in close proximity may be important but smokers polluting the air isn't that big of a deal in the big picture. Do you camp (campfires)? Do you BBQ with charcoal? I'm assuming you drive a car. I bike a lot....so I think a few cigarettes is fair.

The Visionary Soul

The total smoke that all of the smokers put in the air in one year in the US is probably less pollution than the car exhaust in one typical day in LA. Health safety in close proximity may be important but smokers polluting the air isn't that big of a deal in the big picture. Do you camp (campfires)? Do you BBQ with charcoal? I'm assuming you drive a car. I bike a lot....so I think a few cigarettes is fair.
LA is beautiful. The air quality is much better in LA these days than it has been. Also, the City of Burbank has banned outdoor smoking completely.

Goofyernmost

I would be willing to wager that people will return even if they can't smoke. NYC is the busiest city in the country. Smoking is banned and it is still the busiest city in the country. There was a lot of panic from smokers before the ban went into effect. Surprisingly everything went incredibly smoothly from day one. There was no rioting. No chaos. No smokers with pitchforks.

I understand that smoking is a strong addiction, as you've stated. You said "If one cannot see the difference between not smoking in a restaurant for an hour or so and being asked to do that for a whole day..." No one is asking you to stay inside of a park an entire day. If you choose to do that (and there is a ban and you choose not to give up smoking) then the patch is an option you might want to try. You will get your nicotine and no one else will breathe second hand smoke. It's a win win.

Disney is not taking away anyone's rights. They are a private company and it's your choice whether you want to play by their rules. If not, like you said, there is always Universal down the street.
I see your side, but as a person that quit smoking after 35 years of it, I remember exactly how I felt about it when I was a smoker. There are about 4 billion other places that one can go and still smoke. A Disney park is a spot where no one has to go. I know that if I were still a smoker, there is not a chance in (well you know) that I would go there.

I will admit that I am not familiar with the non-smoking laws in NYC. Are you saying that there is absolutely no smoking in the entire city or just in the buildings (public areas). How is it possible to stop people from smoking outside or in their own apartment? If it's in public buildings, Vermont put that law into effect 15 or more years ago. No one came out with pitchforks because it only applied to the interior of public buildings. Is it the same as that in NYC? In fact, that has been Disney's policy for a long time now. Designated areas only. Is it different then that? It is private property, granted, and as such they certainly have the right to say no smoking. Would that be a wise financial choice considering the world population that goes there? I'm thinking that WDW is one thing smokers can do without and not have a concern at all.

DManRightHere

It is much safer.

First, there is no tar for the end user. It's no more or less dangerous than the gum or patch to them. Nicotine is a poison, but so is caffeine and so is alcohol.

Second, there are no repercussions, outside of water vapor, for those around the smoker. I think most of the complaints come from those who think people are "smoking" when really all they are doing is inhaling.

Is is safe? The real answer is "we don't know".

It's not regulated, therefore, I see why Disney and other businesses ban them.

You have to listen to the end of the commercials.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/nationa...7dec0a-a0aa-11e3-b8d8-94577ff66b28_story.html

awilliams4

Let's ban the food too! Eventually everything will be proved as cancer risk with only some things a hair higher risk than others. Anti smoking crowd really is flat out laughable.

They don't have smoking sections just because it is unhealthy. They have them because it stinks and most people don't want to smell it. Try finding a comparison that fits here.

Goofyernmost

They don't have smoking sections just because it is unhealthy. They have them because it stinks and most people don't want to smell it. Try finding a comparison that fits here.
So no deodorant... no admission? Where does all this stop. Check your underwear on the way in to be sure they are clean? Stick their nose in your armpit to be sure it smells like roses. Crazy glue your butt shut to make sure no gas escapes. Have a crowd of workers around to push your car into the property so as not to pollute the air with all that nasty exhaust smell. The whole thing, even as a health issue, is knee jerk reaction at best and in the words of Mr. Spock, illogical, Captain.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Unshowered people with terrible body odor or those who do not know what deodorant is.

Next.

lobelia

OK, I have gotta know how that is enforced. What a massive law enforcement unit that must be.

In Ohio, the onus to monitor locations for smoking falls on the establishment. For example, the bar that allows smoking will be fined by law enforcement if someone is seen smoking inside the establishment. It is difficult to monitor the "must be # of feet from the entry" regulation, but you know when someone is smoking inside.

I really appreciate the no smoking in hotel rooms though. Seldom do I have to stay in a hotel room that smells like smoke. In fact, I was surprised once when we were put into a room at the Royal Pacific at UNI that smelled like smoke. We complained and they not only found us a new room immediately, carried our bags, but offered us a free brunch. The brunch at the Royal Pacific was one of the best meals I had in 6 days at WDW and 2 days at UNI.

Goofyernmost

In Ohio, the onus to monitor locations for smoking falls on the establishment. For example, the bar that allows smoking will be fined by law enforcement if someone is seen smoking inside the establishment. It is difficult to monitor the "must be # of feet from the entry" regulation, but you know when someone is smoking inside.

I really appreciate the no smoking in hotel rooms though. Seldom do I have to stay in a hotel room that smells like smoke. In fact, I was surprised once when we were put into a room at the Royal Pacific at UNI that smelled like smoke. We complained and they not only found us a new room immediately, carried our bags, but offered us a free brunch. The brunch at the Royal Pacific was one of the best meals I had in 6 days at WDW and 2 days at UNI.
That's not unusual anymore and in some States has been that way for quite a while. I know that in Vermont and just recently in NC. there is no smoking in restaurants. Bars, since I don't go to any, I don't know. In Vermont bars are included in the law. Any given time you will see a large group of people standing just outside smoking. I guess it's a matter of we don't care if you drink yourself to death, but we draw the line on smoking.:depressed:

wogwog

Original Poster
As much as I'd like to see Magic Kingdom smoke-free/vapor-free, I realize that it could put quite a stress on guests who can't light up and cast who try to enforce it. The other question is if the guest areas are smoke-free, would the backstage cast areas also be smoke free?

Disney has officially stated that e-cigs and anything similar that is "smoked" and produces vapor should be used in the same designated smoking areas, but most people take a puff and put it away making them incredibly hard to enforce.

It's a tough battle backed by a combination of science and courtesy. It'll be interesting to see where things will be in 5 years.
I have multiple friends working for the Mouse. They tell me the areas for cast are also being closed one by one so Disney might be using the same idea as raising prices a little at a time and we gripe but most return so if they take out smoking areas one at a time we will hear gripes but most will return. Cast previously had multiple places backstage. As an example only one remains on each side of Main Street backstage I am told. I think I heard three others have been closed in the last several months. Like @WDW1974 I occasionally have access to back stage and the "tunnels" for projects I work on for the Mouse. I have experienced numerous times over several years while walking around with management and even front line cast when they confronted both smokers and e-cig users. Almost always the smokers comply and many are surprised at the policy and usually apologize. But a few times a guest took an attitude and security was summoned. At least one guest I encountered while with a manager was trespassed for being especially stupid.

Hyperspace Hoopla

By the way - many have asked why Disney would restrict or ban smoking for being unhealthy, but sell unhealthly foods. Recall Disney ended their contract with McDonalds for Disney Movie/Happy Meal tie ins. Disney now offers lunch bags through the Subway kids meal.

George Lucas on a Bench

walt_life_magazine_01.jpg

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It's obviously not necessary to have a separate section for guests with body odor. We have already specified that foreign guests will be in the designated smoking sections puffing away. Two birds - one stone.

The smelly guests I have encountered are not foreign most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom