Another MK smoking area goes up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger1988

Quite right. It was banned here. It works. I support banning it at WDW.

Trust me. No one would stop coming. Everyone and everything would remain the same. There would just be cleaner air.
Exactly. Hope the full park ban is around the corner.

Banning smoking in bars/restaurants/bowling alleys was the best thing ever. Now the rest of us don't have to go home smelling like an ashtray just because we want to go out and enjoy a meal.

Mouse_Trap

Oy. Another thread turns flame, the easy target, smokers.

And yet stupid guests sit by wood fireplaces and suck up the carcinogens. Sit around a campfire with their children. Guests will stand in a bay with 25 buses emitting diesel carcinogens and breathe all that into their lungs. Take a deep breath of fresh magic air when they go outside to catch the DME at MCO. Or waiting for their bus leaving the MK or any of the parks. Guests are likely to feel worse than the 2 seconds it takes to pass through a smoking section that can easily be avoided these days at Disney. All the 'other' smoke and vapors we will willingly suck in at Disney but Lord forbid a nicotine vapor in the parks. Comical. :rolleyes:

Up next the Peta People objecting having to smell the Turkey Legs roasting away in Frontierland?

Please won't someone think of the children :rolleyes:

RSoxNo1

Just to clarify, I assume this is the waterfront one by the Plaza Restaurant that we're talking about?

awilliams4

Guests are likely to feel worse than the 2 seconds it takes to pass through a smoking section that can easily be avoided these days at Disney.

The day Disney has a farting section that requires those to walk through my **** for 2 seconds or have to go around will be the day that this argument has leverage.

awilliams4

A large percentage of the boomers alive today (who had parents who smoked IN THE HOUSE DAILY)...who didn't smoke, didn't die from cancer related issues regarding their parents.

It's among the silliest justifications I've ever heard.

Using death as the benchmark for being silly is a bit high on the threshold, isn't it? There are plenty of documented cases showing the negative effects on children within smoker's homes. My parents smoked. I was sick all the time from school. Now I am on my own and I am seldom sick. Maybe it was just a coincedence. Studies suggest it is not.

wogwog

Original Poster
More likely, I suspect, it's that guests who hate smoking see people "smoking" and complained.
You guessed it. GR was getting complaints about the fake cigs that guests assume are the real cancer sticks. Some complained the vapor was annoying when near one in a queue. Really, from a friend working in GR.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Before this thread gets locked. My $.02

As a former smoker (quit 2 years ago now!) I would love to see them eliminate smoking in the parks all together. I understand what the addiction is - it took 3x on Chantix before I was able to kick the habit and I still crave every now and then. I can not stand the smell of secondhand smoke anymore or even smelling it on other people's clothes makes me ill.

Also - a lot of people (not everyone) at WDW pay absolutely no attention to the "designated smoking areas" in the parks and light up wherever they want. Castmembers rarely do anything about it. I did NOT notice this when I went to DL last year - I don't specifically remember seeing/smelling smokers anywhere...odd.

Disneyfamily4

Disney sees and monitors all the people who are in the Smoking areas everyday in the parks.

They also know that if they banned smoking, all those smokers will keep leaving the park and come back in. That is something Disney does not want. A Parent and their wallet leaving the park, being annoyed that they have to. Annoyed people end up leaving the park early rather than staying late and putting up with the annoyance. Disney wont ban smoking. In all my years of Disney, I have smelt people who are more offensive then cigarettes.

awilliams4

Yes, when they support it blindly without making arguments that are not the correct ones (the first person damages)...

Yes, I do.

And, how many support other forms of intoxication and addiction being legal, but seem hell bent on picking and choosing their science.

Caffeine is also a terrible drug, and emissions are destroying the atmosphere...yet how many people who hate smoking and hang their hat on second hand smoke (or even more recently, tertiary smoke), have no issues with their kids chugging soda as they drive their SUVs?

The selective logic, the hypocrisy, bothers the heck out of me.

Ex smoker. I noticed the smell in my car, on my clothes, etc. Until I quit though, I never really truly noticed how incredibly smelly and sticky that smell was. Walking into a 7 Eleven a couple years back or a bowling alley that still allowed smoking for just 5 minutes made it to when I walked out, I reeked of cigs. Reeked! My clothes, hair, etc needed a bath.

Coffee does not effect those around them in such a way. Not even close. Smoker's have HUGE impacts on those directly around them unlike pretty much all the arguments on this thread so far. If my neighbor smokes with my windows open, my house reeks. That doesn't happen with SUVs chugging past my house or someone popping open a soda. The comparisons being used are not close comparisons.

Right or wrong, cigs have much larger impacts on everyone around whether smokers like it or not.

awilliams4

smoking spots have been disappearing in disney for awhile. the smokers will just find new places to light up. i've seen a large amount of people ignoring the smoking sections as of late (especially when the sun goes down and they know cm's cant spot them as easily). just give them 1 place in each land to light up. somewhere out of the way completely. why is this a big deal? i dont get it .

Our culture is changing rapidly on this subject. It is only a matter of time where more and more people will feel comfortable confronting this situation themselves. While today most may still not do anything, those days will be gone soon.

Goofyernmost

Quite right. It was banned here. It works. I support banning it at WDW.

Trust me. No one would stop coming. Everyone and everything would remain the same. There would just be cleaner air.
Oh, well, another reason to go to Uni. They not only do not look down on people who have habits that are no longer socially acceptable, but they have made efforts to not only have many, easy to find smoking areas but they theme them as well.

Don't kid yourself about how it will not stop people from coming. A person from a less country might show up not knowing that they cannot smoke "anywhere" in the parks, but, you can bet they will never return. People who don't understand the habit and it's force, cannot even begin to figure out just how strong it is. Or maybe some should be made to not have a place to get coffee after entering the park. Can't even bring any with you! Maybe then a little understanding will set in.

If one cannot see the difference between not smoking in a restaurant for an hour or so and being asked to do that for a whole day will never be able to understand how much it enters into where one goes or doesn't go. I hate people that smoke out in the crowd (when I started going there you could smoke in the queue's), but, as long as people are recognized as having differing needs and accommodating for them, I have no problem. In fact I feel that constantly limiting the smoking areas will only lead to more open smoking, against the rules or not.

Disneyfamily4

Look at Christopher Reeve's wife. (the real Superman for those who don't know). She died of lung cancer at the age of 44. Nobody around her smoked. They did a test in her house and they found out her Granite Counters were emitting gasses that were equal to her smoking two packs a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom