Another MK smoking area goes up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

The article is very good and informative, until you look at the picture. To prove a point or make it more dramatic they took a bunch of "fresh" cigarettes and scooped them up from somewhere in an effort to show that they don't degrade. I can assure you that in real life they would not have still been looking that way if they had spent anytime laying on the ground in the open. I will admit that they do add to the pollution of the world but, certainly not in any alarming way. Even if they were all placed in an ashtray eventually you have to empty that ashtray and are landfilled for the most part where they are buried and probably wrapped in plastic and stay that way for ages. It's only an issue in the minds of some. It's not in mine and I don't smoke. If you want to make an argument about the possible fire hazard that they could create, very small but still there, then I would be on the page with you.
Cigarette butts are made of cellulose acetate, completely biodegradable.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hey Gabe, I graduated from MIT in 1987. What was your major? Name me some of your professors and where do you live when you attended? How many floors is the Student Center? I remained in the Boston area after graduation and continue attending class reunions. A few professors I had back then still remain. You probably never set foot on campus. I have exposed people like you from time to time who say they have attended MIT but could not get through calculus. To some people on this thread. MIT is not just a technology school they also have a world class business school ( Sloan School ). Gabe, if you are ever in Cambridge you should take a tour or just walk around campus. Learn about the school you tell people you attended before you open your mouth.
If you were indeed a MIT graduate, then you would know how to properly respond to a thread without double quoting the same person.

I call BS on you also!

Even trolls can claim to be well educated....we can just see through their thinly disguised veil.

steamboatjosh

I for one will no longer go to Disney parks if smoking is completely banned. I know that isn't going to hurt Disney or effect them at all, but I'm addicted to cigarettes and I have to smoke every couple hours. It's way too big of a place to have to walk all the way outside of the gates to smoke.

SoupBone

I for one will no longer go to Disney parks if smoking is completely banned. I know that isn't going to hurt Disney or effect them at all, but I'm addicted to cigarettes and I have to smoke every couple hours. It's way too big of a place to have to walk all the way outside of the gates to smoke.

I understand the drive to maintain a healthy park, but Disney knows that there are way too many families with smokers to completely eliminate all smoking areas. What they need to do a better job of is making them less accessible to non-smoking park guests. And what I mean by that is that they need to construct smoking areas in strategic spots that are also dead ends and concealed from regular viewing. Some of the smoking spots are in areas that are still accessed by large numbers of people.

BuddyThomas

I understand the drive to maintain a healthy park, but Disney knows that there are way too many families with smokers to completely eliminate all smoking areas. What they need to do a better job of is making them less accessible to non-smoking park guests. And what I mean by that is that they need to construct smoking areas in strategic spots that are also dead ends and concealed from regular viewing. Some of the smoking spots are in areas that are still accessed by large numbers of people.
Also, don't forget all the international visitors where smoking culture is different Many countries still have smoking in restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc. I don't see that they will ever make a smoke free park. but who knows. In the meantime, this non smoker is fine with designated smoking areas in the parks.

rob0519

You are out of line.

Is every American with a gun a murderer due to a few idiots?
Also, don't forget all the international visitors where smoking culture is different Many countries still have smoking in restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc. I don't see that they will ever make a smoke free park. but who knows. In the meantime, this non smoker is fine with designated smoking areas in the parks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't smoking banned on all flights, even international? If so, the international visitors to WDW have already gone anywhere from 5 to 9 hours or so without a cigarette on the plane to Florida. Should Disney decide to ban smoking in the parks it would be similar to the time spent on a plane for most people.

It's private property and Disney can ban or not ban smoking. It's a legal product and it's outdoors, so I have noreal problem with it in the designated areas. I just wish they would be consistent in enforcing smoking within those designated areas. It should, however, be enforced by older, more experienced Disney Security personnel, not some nineteen year old College Program Student.

YankeeFan13

I have been reading the postings for several years but this is my first post. I believe smoking should be allowed in designated areas as long a it does not impact any non-smoking guests in any way. Designated smoking areas should be allowed as long as my children (3 and 8) are not exposed to the toxic fumes. My father had a heart transplant at 65 due, due to smoking from a very early age. The risks were not fully known when he started smoking but they are now. His outlook on smoking is vastly different than it was when I visited Disney as a child. He knows he is lucky to be alive.

As long as innocent people are not exposed to the second hand smoke why should anyone care what happens in a designated smoking area. Although based on the long and difficult road that my family endured due to smoking I do believe that people make their own choices.

UncleMike101

I have been reading the postings for several years but this is my first post. I believe smoking should be allowed in designated areas as long a it does not impact any non-smoking guests in any way. Designated smoking areas should be allowed as long as my children (3 and 8) are not exposed to the toxic fumes. My father had a heart transplant at 65 due, due to smoking from a very early age. The risks were not fully known when he started smoking but they are now. His outlook on smoking is vastly different than it was when I visited Disney as a child. He knows he is lucky to be alive.

As long as innocent people are not exposed to the second hand smoke why should anyone care what happens in a designated smoking area. Although based on the long and difficult road that my family endured due to smoking I do believe that people make their own choices.
When your Dad and I were little everyone smoked. Teachers, Doctors, Cops, Firemen, Politicians, Priests, Nuns, everyone. The lady checking out your groceries more often than not had an ashtray next to the register and there were ashtrays on grocery carts. It was a fact of life that, when you grew up, you smoked. We've learned a lot since then but one thing that many people haven't learned is that they don't have the right to tell someone else how to live their life. You have apparently been taught that lesson and your parents should be proud that they didn't raise a spoiled, judgmental brat, like so many others have done.

stevehousse

When your Dad and I were little everyone smoked. Teachers, Doctors, Cops, Firemen, Politicians, Priests, Nuns, everyone. The lady checking out your groceries more often than not had an ashtray next to the register and there were ashtrays on grocery carts. It was a fact of life that, when you grew up, you smoked. We've learned a lot since then but one thing that many people haven't learned is that they don't have the right to tell someone else how to live their life. You have apparently been taught that lesson and your parents should be proud that they didn't raise a spoiled, judgmental brat, like so many others have done.
Brilliant post! Thank u for sharing that...so true...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't smoking banned on all flights, even international? If so, the international visitors to WDW have already gone anywhere from 5 to 9 hours or so without a cigarette on the plane to Florida.
And you should see what happens after baggage claim.

It's like gasping for air after holding your breath. Transit > outside for a cig > back inside for car rental > another cig before getting the car.

kylewr86

I never defended smoking or advocated for smoking. You are reaching to hard there. I am a compassionate person and I try not to be judgmental. I appreciate that many do not have any compassion for those struggling with addiction. Many in the medical field lack that trait. That does not make me responsible for others life choices. It lacks maturity to blame me for someones addictions no matter what the addiction is. While I have compassion for you and your families health issues, transferring their choices onto me being culpable is not a rational thought process. It is an emotional response to blame someone anyone when life sours. It has to be blamed on someone else other than those who make that choice.

My MIT comment was very clearly to my previous comment you object to about diesel fuel emissions which are tech and research related. I do not find the topic hilarious, sad you do. Union Station in Chicago is having horrible issues with these emissions. Those commuters and employees do not find it as amusing and hilarious as you do.Your post to me came off as harsh and anything but a joke. If you intended to insert a joke in between all that data it was lost due to poor delivery and structure in your post, your writing style. Even professional comedians have duds so I have compassion for that too.

Give it a rest Gabe. U need a new hobby

kylewr86

Actually it is you that needs to "give it a rest". Being snotty does not translate into influential. If you want to be rude and obnoxious, do it on your own time. Thank you!

considering its my opinion and I get on the site on my own time I don't see your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom