Another MK smoking area goes up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sped2424

It amazes me how this thread can go on for pages but the minute someone mentions anything lgbt on any other thread it is locked 5 seconds afterwards.

Marijil

Oy. Another thread turns flame, the easy target, smokers.

And yet stupid guests sit by wood fireplaces and suck up the carcinogens. Sit around a campfire with their children. Guests will stand in a bay with 25 buses emitting diesel carcinogens and breathe all that into their lungs. Take a deep breath of fresh magic air when they go outside to catch the DME at MCO. Or waiting for their bus leaving the MK or any of the parks. Guests are likely to feel worse than the 2 seconds it takes to pass through a smoking section that can easily be avoided these days at Disney. All the 'other' smoke and vapors we will willingly suck in at Disney but Lord forbid a nicotine vapor in the parks. Comical. :rolleyes:

Up next the Peta People objecting having to smell the Turkey Legs roasting away in Frontierland?

images
so....the guests who DONT smoke are stupid?:rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

considering its my opinion and I get on the site on my own time I don't see your point.
For exactly the same reason I see no excuse for your calling out @Gabe1 for doing the same thing, on her own time, or is that privilege yours and yours alone. At least she wasn't demanding that someone else stop talking because she didn't like what they were saying. She made an attempt to counter a post that she disagreed with not just express superiority by telling them to get a new hobby.
so....the guests who DONT smoke are stupid?:rolleyes:
o_O I think that one deserves an award for being the most massive misinterpretation of a sentence since the beginning of the written word.:rolleyes:

Marijil

For exactly the same reason I see no excuse for your calling out @Gabe1 for doing the same thing, on her own time, or is that privilege yours and yours alone. At least she wasn't demanding that someone else stop talking because she didn't like what they were saying. She made an attempt to counter a post that she disagreed with not just express superiority by telling them to get a new hobby.

o_O I think that one deserves an award for being the most massive misinterpretation of a sentences since the beginning of the written word.:rolleyes:
think you mean "sentence"

Marijil

o_O I think that one deserves an award for being the most massive misinterpretation of a sentences since the beginning of the written word.:rolleyes:
No misinterpretation, certainly not "massive"...I thought there was no reason to call guests stupid...especially while defending smoking...just trying to point out the irony

Goofyernmost

No misinterpretation, certainly not "massive"...I thought there was no reason to call guests stupid...especially while defending smoking...just trying to point out the irony
Although I am not going to pursue the conversation any further, what I was commenting on was the phrase..."so your calling all non smokers stupid?" No one was calling ALL non-smokers stupid. However, if one is going to sit in front of a bonfire inhaling all kinds of stuff and then get all upset over a minor invasion of cigarette smoke, is not over the top logical. It shows a focus on one small problem while completely ignoring the other which very will may be a bigger problem. To quote a phrase that is used a lot on this board..."bending over to pick up a penny while letting dollars fly over their heads."

Marijil

Although I am not going to pursue the conversation any further, what I was commenting on was the phrase..."so your calling all non smokers stupid?" No one was calling ALL non-smokers stupid. However, if one is going to sit in front of a bonfire inhaling all kinds of stuff and then get all upset over a minor invasion of cigarette smoke, is not over the top logical. It shows a focus on one small problem while completely ignoring the other which very will may be a bigger problem. To quote a phrase that is used a lot on this board..."bending over to pick up a penny while letting dollars fly over their heads."
You have misquoted me

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Not a smoker, never been one.

While I absolutely hate walking by the smoking areas, there is a need for them in all the parks. My only wish is that they were a bit further away from general traffic areas, especially Aloha Isle where the smoke tends to loft into the walking path most of the time during busy periods.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

While I absolutely hate walking by the smoking areas, there is a need for them in all the parks. My only wish is that they were a bit further away from general traffic areas, especially Aloha Isle where the smoke tends to loft into the walking path most of the time during busy periods.

Kudos. Constructive criticism, with out flame. Well done.

Wikkler

I wish Aloha Isle was further away too, but if you can find a better place in Adventureland I'd love to hear it.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I wish Aloha Isle was further away too, but if you can find a better place in Adventureland I'd love to hear it.

AL has no real alternatives unless they build something specific and based on layout there is not much TDO could do unless they added a bunch of live bamboo growth walls or something that would almost completely enclose the area.

Goofyernmost

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but had a thought thinking about this issue. Walt died too young because of lung cancer.
He sure did. However, if this implies if the general public had jumped in there an made moves to physically stop him from smoking he would have lived longer, is wrong. You don't think his family and and friends didn't try to stop him? There is a documentary out there somewhere where the nine old men tried to get him to quit because he coughed and hacked all over the place. His response was "heck, a man's gotta have some vices, don't he!"

My point is, no outsider cares if the smoker dies tomorrow, we all are just focusing in on our own agenda's. You can legislate morality, but you cannot stop immorality. Making up false health dangers or talking about the unpleasantness of the smell is just a way for each of us to alter outside behavior to fit what we want. Let smokers have the designated area and leave them alone to decide on their own to find a way to stop, and they will. Making them feel like lower life forms will be counter productive, I guarantee that.

Gabe1

AL has no real alternatives unless they build something specific and based on layout there is not much TDO could do unless they added a bunch of live bamboo growth walls or something that would almost completely enclose the area.

I just pulled up a map of the MK. If I counted correctly the MK is down to 5 designated smoking areas. If I am finding the symbols the first designated smoking area in or outside the MK is AL now. I guess that is going to make it even worse than it was before with drifting smoke. I've seen that with office buildings. If there is a couple people outside there really isn't a lot of smoke, you put a whole pile of smokers in one area and indeed you see it and it definitely drifts. Double edge sword I guess, less of them seems to be happening over the years and now the remaining few will likely be very crowded and more intense.

If 18% of Americans smoke and there are anywhere between 10,000 to 99,000 visitors in the MK that stuffs a great deal of smokers in a handful of very condensed areas. Seeing where they pulled the last one I can't blame Disney it seems to be in the hub-ish area. Years ago that might not have been the issue it is now with the popularity of Wishes and the Castle Projection show.

Gabe1

He sure did. However, if this implies if the general public had jumped in there an made moves to physically stop him from smoking he would have lived longer, is wrong. You don't think his family and and friends didn't try to stop him? There is a documentary out there somewhere where the nine old men tried to get him to quit because he coughed and hacked all over the place. His response was "heck, a man's gotta have some vices, don't he!"

My point is, no outsider cares if the smoker dies tomorrow, we all are just focusing in on our own agenda's. You can legislate morality, but you cannot stop immorality. Making up false health dangers or talking about the unpleasantness of the smell is just a way for each of us to alter outside behavior to fit what we want. Let smokers have the designated area and leave them alone to decide on their own to find a way to stop, and they will. Making them feel like lower life forms will be counter productive, I guarantee that.

True. I don't believe it matters what the vice or habit is. Whether it is drugs, alcohol, physical abuse, verbal abusive, smoking, over eating berating never seems to be cure.

kylewr86

Maybe take a look at facts before you say something that is not true.

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm04232327/page01.htm

The wood only bonfire had almost nothing coming from it that could or would ever cause cancer. The smoke only contained carcinogens when trash items were added to the fire. If you add trash and breath it in your an idiot.
Once again cigarettes have over 7,000 chemicals in them, many are known or suspected to cause cancer. This argument that you seem to just attack people with is stupid cause your wrong. Look at the link and check out the cancer.org site all which are acceptable by the scientific community. I will continue to argue with ignorance and if you think I'm going to back down because a lot of the smokers are getting "puffy" think again. You can smoke but I'm not sitting here while you say facts that have no science or factual evidence.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

As a smoker, I can't stand that choice of spot at all either...

My favorite spot is the one in the path between tomorrowland and the circus. It's isolated, and many people don't even know it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom