News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Bocabear

Toad is great, and while I mourn the loss of it to the Magic Kingdom, Toad is not really the best fit for the UK Pavilion... It doesn't scream BRITAIN...just really fantasy... I would love to see it go back into Fantasyland though...

Last edited:

sublimesting

Toad is great, and while I mourn the loss of it to the Magic Kingdom, Toad is not really the best fit for the UK Pavilion... It doesn't cream BRITAIN...just really fantasy... I would love to see it go back into Fantasyland though...

I don't know. I've ridden it. He creams Britain pretty good.

Frankiepopsicles

An interesting from MousePlanet about attractions we never got on opening day of WDW regarding "The Sword In The Stone" and "Mary Poppins" Rides that we could have got, I would love these concepts to be used for the UK Pavilion.

"Instead of the popular Peter Pan's Flight attraction at Disneyland, the Imagineers proposed using the overhead monorail track to fly guests into an entirely different adventure inspired by the popular film Mary Poppins (1964), since guest surveys had shown Disney visitors would enjoy a ride based on those characters. The first proposal was to use overturned umbrellas as ride vehicles to soar over the rooftops of London to mimic Mary's own journeys with her umbrella. A version that was more seriously considered was to use the colorful carousel horses from the film as ride vehicles. Guests would find themselves leaping through the chalk paintings done by the street artist Bert, the friend of Mary Poppins, as the horses bounced along. Several possible tableaus would have included scenes inspired by the film, like the fox hunt and a horserace".

"Instead of a Mr. Toad attraction, the Imagineers originally pitched the idea of an attraction based on the animated feature The Sword in the Stone (1963) since the character of Merlin fit in so appropriately with the theme of Fantasyland. The part of the film that offered the most options for dramatization was the famous wizard's duel between Merlin and the witch Mad Madam Mim, with them each getting zapped and transforming into different creatures. The finale would have had the ride vehicle circling around Mim after she had turned into a huge dragon just before she is defeated by Merlin".

Credit: https://www.mouseplanet.com/11815/The_1971_Walt_Disney_World_We_Never_Got

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was thinking more along the lines of The Exorcist: "Mickey says ride this!"
Your mother eats Mickey Bars in Epcot!
hqdefault.jpg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
aladdin2007...that is the type of response I thought my comment would receive... This is a forum and people share what they know and whom they know. Just saying... lots of speculating and entertaining to read. We'll just need to sit back and see if it pans out.
Your analysis seems appropriate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
An interesting from MousePlanet about attractions we never got on opening day of WDW regarding "The Sword In The Stone" and "Mary Poppins" Rides that we could have got, I would love these concepts to be used for the UK Pavilion.

"Instead of the popular Peter Pan's Flight attraction at Disneyland, the Imagineers proposed using the overhead monorail track to fly guests into an entirely different adventure inspired by the popular film Mary Poppins (1964), since guest surveys had shown Disney visitors would enjoy a ride based on those characters. The first proposal was to use overturned umbrellas as ride vehicles to soar over the rooftops of London to mimic Mary's own journeys with her umbrella. A version that was more seriously considered was to use the colorful carousel horses from the film as ride vehicles. Guests would find themselves leaping through the chalk paintings done by the street artist Bert, the friend of Mary Poppins, as the horses bounced along. Several possible tableaus would have included scenes inspired by the film, like the fox hunt and a horserace".

"Instead of a Mr. Toad attraction, the Imagineers originally pitched the idea of an attraction based on the animated feature The Sword in the Stone (1963) since the character of Merlin fit in so appropriately with the theme of Fantasyland. The part of the film that offered the most options for dramatization was the famous wizard's duel between Merlin and the witch Mad Madam Mim, with them each getting zapped and transforming into different creatures. The finale would have had the ride vehicle circling around Mim after she had turned into a huge dragon just before she is defeated by Merlin".

Credit: https://www.mouseplanet.com/11815/The_1971_Walt_Disney_World_We_Never_Got
Mary Poppins would have gone between 20K and the speedway as a phase two attraction.

Thebolt

The idea of flying over the rooftops beneath Mary Poppins umberella, in a similar way to Peter Pan sounds fantastic.

They already know how to make that technology, so it is clearly practical. I would turn the umbrella the right way up, and stand 4 people around the stem {with restraints and a platform}, so the scenes below were visible unobstructed...
That would make a unique (cue the links to some ride in Japan or similar ;-) ride based on a sensible character.

HauntedMansionFLA

What's in the running for this section? Any insider insight? Personally, I would love Poppins. BUT I believe current management would push the new Mary Poppins returns movie coming out instead of the original classic. Much like Iger turned his back on the original Star Wars triology.

Kman101

Iger didn't turn his back on the original SW movies, technically. Like everything nostalgia they used it to relaunch the franchise ... with the "new" movies represented, it still represents the old ones because of the characters used. But I get what's being said.

And I like Brave's "Touch the Sky". I like it's representation in the parade and HEA and while it probably could make a heck of a dark ride, I just think original flavor Poppins would be much better. I know some don't think so but Poppins to me feels like the 'right' choice, but if it's new movie Poppins, I'll take Brave. I guess it would have to be Brave if Poppins isn't "the current flavor". I know it sort of/kinda fits but I don't think of Brave when I think of the UK pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom