News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

LittleBuford

And I disagree that Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are akin to Tuscany and Sicily in Italy. There is a world of difference between a region and a nation. We may have British passports but we have our own Parliament and laws, and devolved government and taxation. Very few of your laws and government departments apply north of the border.
Politically, you’re correct. I was referring more to things like culture, architecture, and language. In those terms, I don’t think my comparison to Italy is unfair.

nickys

Premium Member
And nor did the Republic of Ireland! He was born at a time when the United Kingdom included the whole of Ireland and when the only nationality that officially existed was British. That’s a separate matter from how he himself identified, of course, and it seems from his letters that he regarded himself as Irish, though he was an Anglican born into a Unionist family.
He took Irish citizenship, which seems fairly definitive as far as nationality is concerned.

Otherwise we might as well say that George Washington was British. 😉

LittleBuford

He took Irish citizenship, which seems fairly definitive as far as nationality is concerned.

Otherwise we might as well say that George Washington was British. 😉
Where are you seeing that he took Irish citizenship? I can’t find any reference to it.

Besides, I already agreed with you that he regarded himself as Irish. My point was only that his being Irish-born would not automatically make him non-British. Many people (including Lewis, it seems) can fit under both categories.

nickys

Premium Member
Where are you seeing that he took Irish citizenship? I can’t find any reference to it.

Besides, I already agreed with you that he regarded himself as Irish. My point was only that his being Irish-born would not automatically make him non-British. Many people (including Lewis, it seems) can fit under both categories.
I might have to take that statement back, because I can’t find a source. I do have a biography of him, so I’ll see if I can find anything. I know he would have “qualified” for Irish citizenship, but maybe I was wrong in thinking he took it. I thought he had done after a trip to Donegal with Joy….

lazyboy97o

And I disagree that Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are akin to Tuscany and Sicily in Italy. There is a world of difference between a region and a nation. We may have British passports but we have our own Parliament and laws, and devolved government and taxation. Very few of your laws and government departments apply north of the border.
Italy might not be the best example but federalist systems would not only be similar, but also give greater authority to the constituent parts. Even with devolution, the UK is still considered a unitary national government. The US states all have the same uniform authority and the general theory is that they give certain powers to the federal government.

LittleBuford

Italy might not be the best example but federalist systems would not only be similar, but also give greater authority to the constituent parts. Even with devolution, the UK is still considered a unitary national government. The US states all have the same uniform authority and the general theory is that they give certain powers to the federal government.
The comparison wasn't meant to be political anyway. I was really talking about the constituent cultures that make up a particular country.

Ayla

Context is key here. The writers he listed were all from the Republic of Ireland. Allowing for the confusion over CS Lewis.

Wait a minute! Irish citizens have BRITISH passports?!

Mr. Sullivan

Completely unrelated to any discourse just a question of curiosity.

We know this was a spinner but did we ever get confirmation of what kind? Was it basically just a teacups ride but with a Mary Poppins theme?

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Completely unrelated to any discourse just a question of curiosity.

We know this was a spinner but did we ever get confirmation of what kind? Was it basically just a teacups ride but with a Mary Poppins theme?
1000002305.jpg

1000002304.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom