News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Professortango1

Only ignorant people could think that. Whether wilfully ignorant or genuinely so.
I bet I could ask 100 Americans what country brought us the stories of Dracula, Narnia, and Dorian Grey and most would say England. I myself only realized Stoker's heritage when attending a Dracula-themed show/presentation in regard to the occult influencing Stoker last year at Fringe.

And while I was if I was ignorant to Stoker's biography and heritage, I wouldn't classify myself as an ignorant person, especially amongst theme park guests. Folks who visit WDW and World Showcase are typically not the same people who actually travel and visit these locales.

nickys

Premium Member
I bet I could ask 100 Americans what country brought us the stories of Dracula, Narnia, and Dorian Grey and most would say England. I myself only realized Stoker's heritage when attending a Dracula-themed show/presentation in regard to the occult influencing Stoker last year at Fringe.

And while I was if I was ignorant to Stoker's biography and heritage, I wouldn't classify myself as an ignorant person, especially amongst theme park guests. Folks who visit WDW and World Showcase are typically not the same people who actually travel and visit these locales.
But that is no reason for Disney to perpetuate the misconceptions of British vs Irish vs English etc.

Professortango1

But that is no reason for Disney to perpetuate the misconceptions of British vs Irish vs English etc.
Hence why I said I would love a ride focused on the authors of the UK and letting us know that these iconic stories come from all over the UK, not just England.

I never said Disney should say these stories were British or English. I said quite the opposite.

osian

Hence why I said I would love a ride focused on the authors of the UK and letting us know that these iconic stories come from all over the UK, not just England.

I never said Disney should say these stories were British or English. I said quite the opposite.
I just want to be clear, because now I'm confused! Are you meaning the authors you listed?

Professortango1

I just want to be clear, because now I'm confused! Are you meaning the authors you listed?
lol, things I said:

• Disney should create a Great Literature Attraction which explores the many great works by UK authors
  • Having this ride also include information about these authors country of origin would be amazing as many people are ignorant of where these authors originate from.
  • As an example, I mentioned how many authors who people would incorrectly identify as being English are Irish.
I wasn't saying that Disney should tell people they were English. I'm not saying the ride should be solely Irish authors, I'm not saying that they essentially are English and that the misconception is okay.

Epcot was, and still can be, a vehicle to educate and open eyes to the world around us. Be it technology, our history, our environment, or world cultures and stories. A ride of this type would enable fun darkride moments but also allow people to learn more about where these stories come from.

Of course, I know current Disney wouldn't do that unless they could have a Disney IP as the focus or have a Marvel character shoved in.

I'm still waiting for Disney to announce that the long-awaited African/Kenya Pavilion will just be Wakanda. I think they are still too grounded to know that's a terrible idea, but I do feel we are getting closer and closer to that corporate lack of self-awareness.

osian

• As an example, I mentioned how many authors who people would incorrectly identify as being English are Irish.
I wasn't saying that Disney should tell people they were English. I'm not saying the ride should be solely Irish authors,

Are you saying that the authors you listed are examples of ones that could/should be part of this attraction? I don't know and perhaps I'm reading it wrong and I don't want to assume something that you're not saying!.

Professortango1

Are you saying that the authors you listed should be part of this attraction? I don't know and perhaps I'm reading it wrong and I don't want to assume something that you're not saying!.
No worries. I am saying that the authors I listed should/could be represented in this hypothetical UK Pavilion attraction since they are UK authors and help sell the idea of the Pavilion representing the UK vs England.

osian

No worries. I am saying that the authors I listed should/could be represented in this hypothetical UK Pavilion attraction since they are UK authors and help sell the idea of the Pavilion representing the UK vs England.
Ah, that's it! No, actually, those authors are not UK. Ireland (Republic of) is not part of the UK, and I believe these all come from the republic. (I was corrected about CS Lewis on a technicality!)

Professortango1

Ah, that's it! No, actually, those authors are not UK.
Gotcha, I see your point now.

I will totally admit my ignorance of Irish history with Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland. Bad on me. So some of those authors would be considered part of the UK prior to 1922, but I suppose including them causes even more potential issues.
I stand corrected. :)

osian

Gotcha, I see your point now.

I will totally admit my ignorance of Irish history with Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland. Bad on me. So some of those authors would be considered part of the UK prior to 1922, but I suppose including them causes even more potential issues.
I stand corrected. :)
It's confusing enough for people who do live here! I suppose it depends on where/when you draw the line.

Professortango1

It's confusing enough for people who do live here!
I appreciate your patience and grace! As a Californian from poorer means, my knowledge of other cultures is built upon a foundation of theatre and film rather than first-hand knowledge. I had the pleasure of visiting the UK (London/Edinburgh) this last summer and look forward to getting back to Europe and seeing more of it.

See? This is why we need Epcot to remain educational. For us Americans who are less likely to board that long flight to still have our eyes and minds opened to the world.

nickys

Premium Member

None of the authors you listed are British though.

Ireland is not part of the UK (or Britain). Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Brer Panther

This is probably getting off-topic, sorry, but is it Mr Toad specifically or do you have the same opinion of the other classic Fantasyland dark rides?
I singled out Mr. Toad because it's not a very popular IP nowadays, but with Iger in charge, I doubt any of Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides are safe. Maaaaaaaaybe Snow White's Enchanted Wish since that's something that was built under Iger, but at this point, any one of them could be removed and replaced with a Frozen ride (since Disneyland doesn't have one at the moment) or something.

If not Mr. Toad, I imagine Pinocchio would be the one to get torn out.

Professortango1

I singled out Mr. Toad because it's not a very popular IP nowadays, but with Iger in charge, I doubt any of Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides are safe. Maaaaaaaaybe Snow White's Enchanted Wish since that's something that was built under Iger, but at this point, any one of them could be removed and replaced with a Frozen ride (since Disneyland doesn't have one at the moment) or something.

The only saving grace is that Disney doesn't seem interested in building charming pretzel style darkrides for IPs anymore. They need to be E-ticket scaled with C-ticket writing. Frozen Ever After, Tiana, Tangled, Neverland Scoop Ride, Ariel, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway; with their level of writing, these would have all worked out better as charming little Fantasyland style rides.

michmousefan

I know it probably wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see a Doctor Who attraction where The Doctor invites you as his new companions on a time-travel trip through various UK history. You could enter a modified Tardis with seats and then the "theatre" takes you to different scenes, etc.

wdrive

I’ve read many times they can’t change any Fantasyland dark ride too much as they are currently grandfathered in with OSHA and other safety organisations.

Doing any major work on them would mean they would have the same standards as a ride built today and you wouldn’t fit much into the small footprints of the dark rides. As far as I understand it anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom