News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Magenta Panther

Of course this has been cancelled. Iger can't be bothered with an attraction based on Walt's greatest live-action achievement when the money can be better spent on on Marvel or Star Wars or one of Iger's other trash acquisitions. Ol' Bob sure put one over on Roy Disney when the latter agreed with making him CEO. Roy once said "Disney isn't a 'brand'!" But to Iger, Disney is nothing BUT a brand. The parks aren't innovative, imaginative creative entities; they're hubs for merchandising. What a living caricature of corporate greed Iger is, and unfortunately, he's remade the company in his own image...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
MP Returns wasn’t a remake, it was a sequel.
Didn’t pass the eye test

that lamppost dance really differentiated from step in time

and rolling Angela Lansbury (Andrews declined...to her credit) to sing “nowhere to go but up” was such a bold departure from “let’s go fly a kite”...

I mean...one had kites and one had balloons!!

you know...you can like Disney and not swallow everything they tell you...the two can be mutually exclusive concepts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really sure why Returns gets this bad rap…I really enjoyed it. I can understand the criticism but I thought it was a well made movie with some great songs. Obviously, the first is a classic and an incredible movie with even better songs.
Poppins is my favorite Disney movie...

and I didn’t hate part deux...it was ok to watch and looked really good.

but didn’t move the needle. Blunt has thrown shade since...rob Marshall took to Twitter to fight critics (also known as a. “Johnson”...when you know you’ve messed up)...

was supposed to be a 3 picture gig I believe? Gravy train off the tracks.

but hey...not like Disney hasn’t remade Anything or cancelled a trilogy or two...ama right?!?

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Didn’t pass the eye test

that lamppost dance really differentiated from step in time

and rolling Angela Lansbury (Andrews declined...to her credit) to sing “nowhere to go but up” was such a bold departure from “let’s go fly a kite”...

I mean...one had kites and one had balloons!!

you know...you can like Disney and not swallow everything they tell you...the two can be mutually exclusive concepts.
Ooooh, calling me a pixie duster, nice one.

The story was clearly a sequel. From the very beginning it spelled that out, even before MP appeared.

There were some nice nods to the original, sure. And I know Julie Andrews was offered a cameo but realistically that wouldn’t have worked and she knew it. So yes, it was to her credit she declined it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ooooh, calling me a pixie duster, nice one.

The story was clearly a sequel. From the very beginning it spelled that out, even before MP appeared.

There were some nice nods to the original, sure. And I know Julie Andrews was offered a cameo but realistically that wouldn’t have worked and she knew it. So yes, it was to her credit she declined it.
I’m not calling you a “pixie duster”...that’s so 2010...

I’m just saying if you run them side by side...there are very few tangible plot differences.

call it “rehash” or “formulaic” if it’s more warm and fuzzy...

and I sniffed that out and I wasn’t even in the movie theater in 1964! But I was in there December 2018 (or whenever) during first showing

and like many recent “efforts” it caused some laughter not tied to the dialogue...

this is the Roy E “thing”....the strength of the brand isn’t unlimited if you embarrass yourself and convince yourself that the viewers are so overly stupid that they never want something new.

we have digitial on demand...didn’t have to treat everyone like they’ve never seen a movie from 1964/1977/ every year there was a cartoon release/etc

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Poppins is my favorite Disney movie...

and I didn’t hate part deux...it was ok to watch and looked really good.

but didn’t move the needle. Blunt has thrown shade since...rob Marshall took to Twitter to fight critics (also known as a. “Johnson”...when you know you’ve messed up)...

was supposed to be a 3 picture gig I believe? Gravy train off the tracks.

but hey...not like Disney hasn’t remade Anything or cancelled a trilogy or two...ama right?!?
It was a sequel. It took stories from the books that weren't in the first movie. Some of other Travers stories made it into the Daulton Music Hall show.

The children grew up.

Just because it had the same beats, doesn't make it a sequel. As your favorite director ever once said when repurposing the same story beats:
lucas rhymes.gif

EPCOT-O.G.

I figured this was the case. There were something like a half dozen projects at Epcot announced - SSE refurb, Moana thing, the event space in Future World, Harmonius, Mary Poppins, Canada and China circle vision, Remy, Guardians. I feel like weve had regular updates or announcements on all of those but Mary Poppins and SSE, with the later likely just delayed until they have the time/money else where.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was a sequel. It took stories from the books that weren't in the first movie. Some of other Travers stories made it into the Daulton Music Hall show.

The children grew up.

Just because it had the same beats, doesn't make it a sequel. As your favorite director ever once said when repurposing the same story beats:
View attachment 564780
Not my favorite by far...

...gonna need heavier ammo to move my fat butt off this spot 😉

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

I figured this was the case. There were something like a half dozen projects at Epcot announced - SSE refurb, Moana thing, the event space in Future World, Harmonius, Mary Poppins, Canada and China circle vision, Remy, Guardians. I feel like weve had regular updates or announcements on all of those but Mary Poppins and SSE, with the later likely just delayed until they have the time/money else where.

That's the thing I am most surprised by: almost everything is moving forward except for the original iteration of the Festival Center and Mary Poppins. Both of which were highly divisive. So no loss there.

Only *announced* things left to get concrete info on are Wondrous China, SSE and what is happening with World Discovery (which seems to have been solidified but not revealed yet).

James Alucobond

That's the thing I am most surprised by: almost everything is moving forward except for the original iteration of the Festival Center and Mary Poppins. Both of which were highly divisive. So no loss there.
Was Poppins divisive or just the slimmed down version? Genuinely curious. I think getting a full attraction would do wonders for beginning the process of balancing out World Showcase by putting two rides in the east, two in the west, a large theater show (American Adventure) in the center, and a couple of CircleVisions scattered about. IMO, it still needs probably two more rides and a refresh for Mexico, but it would really help flesh out that half of the park.

UNCgolf

Was Poppins divisive or just the slimmed down version? Genuinely curious. I think getting a full attraction would do wonders for beginning the process of balancing out World Showcase by putting two rides in the east, two in the west, a large theater show (American Adventure) in the center, and a couple of CircleVisions scattered about. IMO, it still needs probably two more rides and a refresh for Mexico, but it would really help flesh out that half of the park.

I think the idea of a carousel, or even worse, an enchanted tales (which was apparently the final form) was divisive. An actual full Mary Poppins dark ride could be tremendously good.

TTA94

One thing that hasn’t been announced yet, unless I missed it, is Coco replacing GFT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom