News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

GimpYancIent

Well...I can concede that 👍🏻
1624193613005.png

James Alucobond

Wdw is gonna go from zero to “killed” on trackless in 2 years flat.

can’t throw up 10 of those...there are not that many tricks in the ponies
I feel like there’s probably space for 2ish trackless rides in each park. Yeah, you don’t want to overindex on them, but most of the parks have at least a couple of rides with the same or similar ride systems. Hollywood Studios probably doesn’t need any other ones, but I could see one more for EPCOT, one for Magic Kingdom, and one for Animal Kingdom.

TrainsOfDisney

Wdw is gonna go from zero to “killed” on trackless in 2 years flat.

can’t throw up 10 of those...there are not that many tricks in the ponies
And the tricks aren’t really that great.

Honestly I notice the ride path more on rise than I do on Spider-Man and Transformers.

I would like to see more dark rides in all of the parks - but I don’t care if they are trackless, tracked, water flume, Omni-mover etc.

UNCgolf

And the tricks aren’t really that great.

Honestly I notice the ride path more on rise than I do on Spider-Man and Transformers.

I would like to see more dark rides in all of the parks - but I don’t care if they are trackless, tracked, water flume, Omni-mover etc.

Same here. More dark rides; the ride system is mostly irrelevant.

With that said, I'd probably prefer they not use trackless, only because WDI seems to think they must use the "tricks" in basically every scene. I don't know if that's to justify the cost or what, but every trackless ride ends up having multiple scenes (and sometimes the whole ride) where it feels like you're just in a huge warehouse. They lose intimacy.

That's not an inherent flaw of the trackless system, because you don't have to do that. You could design scenes where the vehicles move in a normal straight line just like a bus bar dark ride and then split up for certain areas. I actually think that would result in a more impressive ride because the areas where they vehicles go around in different places would be "special" instead of the entire ride.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

The problem with trackless rides is that the most recent ones keep falling into the same trap: big, open spaces with barely any props not against the walls sandwiched in-between scenes where the ride vehicles just park in front of a giant screen (or, in the case of Ratatouille, just scenes where the ride vehicles just park in front of a giant screen with only one quick physical set in between them). The novelty has worn off. When's the last time they built a regular ol' busbar dark ride?

IMDREW

Same here. More dark rides; the ride system is mostly irrelevant.

With that said, I'd probably prefer they not use trackless, only because WDI seems to think they must use the "tricks" in basically every scene. I don't know if that's to justify the cost or what, but every trackless ride ends up having multiple scenes (and sometimes the whole ride) where it feels like you're just in a huge warehouse. They lose intimacy.

That's not really a flaw of the trackless system, because you don't have to do that. You could design scenes where the vehicles move in a normal straight line just like a bus bar dark ride and then split up for certain areas. I actually think that would result in a more impressive ride because the areas where they vehicles go around in different places would be "special" instead of the entire ride.
See Mystic Manor

UNCgolf

The problem with trackless rides is that the most recent ones keep falling into the same trap: big, open spaces with barely any props not against the walls sandwiched in-between scenes where the ride vehicles just park in front of a giant screen (or, in the case of Ratatouille, just scenes where the ride vehicles just park in front of a giant screen with only one quick physical set in between them). The novelty has worn off. When's the last time they built a regular ol' busbar dark ride?

Probably Frozen Ever After, if that counts -- which is not a good ride. Before that would be Little Mermaid, I think, which is also not a good ride.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the ride system; it's about the people designing it.

UNCgolf

See Mystic Manor

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Mystic Manor and Pooh's Hunny Hunt are the two best overall (well, and Rise, but that's different because the setting lends itself to large open rooms), but even they have a couple of warehouse scenes. They're nowhere near as bad as some of the others, though.

J4546

I like the Little Mermaid dark ride in CA, its not an e-ticket obviously, but I think its pretty good for what it is. Although I wish theyde redo it to a CoCo ride casue I think it would fit a lot better...and CoCo is an awesome movie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like there’s probably space for 2ish trackless rides in each park. Yeah, you don’t want to overindex on them, but most of the parks have at least a couple of rides with the same or similar ride systems. Hollywood Studios probably doesn’t need any other ones, but I could see one more for EPCOT, one for Magic Kingdom, and one for Animal Kingdom.
If there were 8 in Florida...it would be a joke.

the two is studios is pushing it.

I think you could maybe add one in DAK and then move on

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you’re not gonna use the prime advantage to trackless...which is randomization...they’re kinda pointless.

just having them switch directions once or twice while going past screens is really...really low brow...

it’s timid engineering...which is not what you need when you don’t add anything for a decade in a park...”hypothetically”...of course

J4546

I love good quality darkrides, they are what separate Disney parks from the rest imo. I dont care what kind of vehicle, on track, trackless, boat, log flume, omnimover....Im all team darkride all the way.

Id love to add a few to AK. And by add I mnea replace and redo the 2 water rides in AK and make them E-ticket level attractions. Tear down and redo Navi River Journey into a ride that uses the Pirates bones from DL along with the blue bayou and retheme it to a wonderful avatar boat ride with outdor que that takes you into a cavern just like PotC in Disneyland and then transports you into massive indoor scenes. Along with cool outdoor restaurant where you can watch the navi boats flow down the river into a cavern as they start their ride.

As for Kali....I want to make the greatest river rapids ride in the world. Using PotC Shanghai tech for the first time on a river rapids style attraction. Massive indoor and outdoor show scenes taking you on an adventure through the kali river into an ancient temple with some cool stuff kinda like indiana jonesish scenes....also have it narrated by the kid and bear from jungle book. Theres no jungle book rep in Disney Parks and JB is awesome. Dont make it a JB ride, its the Kali River Rapids with whatever their names are I forget. Just have them pop u a couple times to tell you what your looking at.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love good quality darkrides, they are what separate Disney parks from the rest imo. I dont care what kind of vehicle, on track, trackless, boat, log flume, omnimover....Im all team darkride all the way.

Id love to add a few to AK. And by add I mnea replace and redo the 2 water rides in AK and make them E-ticket level attractions. Tear down and redo Navi River Journey into a ride that uses the Pirates bones from DL along with the blue bayou and retheme it to a wonderful avatar boat ride with outdor que that takes you into a cavern just like PotC in Disneyland and then transports you into massive indoor scenes. Along with cool outdoor restaurant where you can watch the navi boats flow down the river into a cavern as they start their ride.

As for Kali....I want to make the greatest river rapids ride in the world. Using PotC Shanghai tech for the first time on a river rapids style attraction. Massive indoor and outdoor show scenes taking you on an adventure through the kali river into an ancient temple with some cool stuff kinda like indiana jonesish scenes....also have it narrated by the kid and bear from jungle book. Theres no jungle book rep in Disney Parks and JB is awesome. Dont make it a JB ride, its the Kali River Rapids with whatever their names are I forget. Just have them pop u a couple times to tell you what your looking at.

we all love Disney dark rides or we wouldn’t be here...

but they’re doing too much screens and trackless for comfort right now.

reprogrammability is what they’re telling themselves they have....less cost in the long run.

so use it. Don’t expect to get 10-20 years off millennium falcon or runaway railway...they are once or twice and done. That captures most of the customers in 5 years flat

owlsandcoffee

imagine if they created an amazing dark ride where it started like a carousel and everyone got their own horse....and then the horses seperated like in the movie...I am trying to imagine how the ride vehicles would be though....cause id like them to be single rider carousel horses and not sit down group vehicles....im thinking they are hung from the sky like peter pan and you make a ride kinda like that, but your on a horse soaring over the UK and through the mary poppins universe.

The big downfall is with a single rider carousel style horse ride vehicles, someone could fall off if they were an idiot....and lots of people are idiots.
Sounds a lot like Tony Baxter's Jolly Holiday!

Robbiem

we all love Disney dark rides or we wouldn’t be here...

but they’re doing too much screens and trackless for comfort right now.

reprogrammability is what they’re telling themselves they have....less cost in the long run.

so use it. Don’t expect to get 10-20 years off millennium falcon or runaway railway...they are once or twice and done. That captures most of the customers in 5 years flat
What happened to the black box ride that was rumoured for the studios? I guess its been cancelled

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom