News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

UNCgolf

It made $325 million worldwide...less than Solo

The reason why it isn’t labeled a flop is because of lower production and promotion budgets.

But In today’s Hollywood...That’s a flop.

And the reason is they made a straight, sequence by sequence remake.

Minions made $1.1 billion...in comparison

Exactly. Lower production costs and lower marketing budget is exactly why it wasn't a flop. No one should have expected it to make much more than it did (I figured $400 million was about the max anyone should hope for) -- I have no idea if Disney did, but if they did they were being stupid. It was still the #31 movie of the year in worldwide box office returns, and that's including a handful of Chinese movies that made 99% of their money in China. Solo was expected to be a billion dollar type movie, which is why it's a massive flop. The fact that Poppins made less than it isn't really relevant.

Regardless, it makes sense to design a ride etc. around the original since it won a million Oscars. But I am absolutely surprised Disney is actually doing that.

Sped2424

Doesn't look like a dark ride to me - they would have said 'ride' if they meant ride.

Looks more like Enchanted Tales with Mary.

Which I'm fine with - I would have been fine with a carousel. UK has nothing else going on.
From the Disney Parks Blog

• The United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins. You will step in time down Cherry Tree Lane past Admiral Boom’s house, then enter Number 17, home of the Banks family, where your adventure will begin.

This is not a meet and greet, it is not a carousel, it would appear to be a nice little dark ride which marni hinted was a possibility but looked unlikely before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. Lower production costs and lower marketing budget is exactly why it wasn't a flop. No one should have expected it to make much more than it did (I figured $400 million was about the max anyone should hope for) -- I have no idea if Disney did, but if they did they were being stupid. It was still the #31 movie of the year in worldwide box office returns, and that's including a handful of Chinese movies that made 99% of their money in China. Solo was expected to be a billion dollar type movie, which is why it's a massive flop. The fact that Poppins made less than it isn't really relevant.

Regardless, it makes sense to design a ride etc. around the original since it won a million Oscars. But I am absolutely surprised Disney is actually doing that.
$300 million dollars is nothing in today’s dollars. We’re debatibg semantics...not reality

wdrive

Doesn't look like a dark ride to me - they would have said 'ride' if they meant ride.

Looks more like Enchanted Tales with Mary.

Which I'm fine with - I would have been fine with a carousel. UK has nothing else going on.

I’m not too certain that it will be this, mainly because as far as I’m aware they’re not thrilled with the operational cost/capacity of Enchanted Tales.

Sped2424

To give more credence that this is most likely a ride this is how they are talking about the Moana walk through in the same blog post
  • Journey of Water, Inspired by “Moana” will be the first experience inspired by the hit Walt Disney Animation Studios film. This lush exploration trail will invite you to meet and play with magical, living water. The water will have a life of its own – just like Moana’s friend, the ocean – and you’ll learn about the importance of the natural water cycle.
No mention of the word attraction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From the Disney Parks Blog

• The United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins. You will step in time down Cherry Tree Lane past Admiral Boom’s house, then enter Number 17, home of the Banks family, where your adventure will begin.
This is not a meet and greet, it is not a carousel, it would appear to be a nice little dark ride which marni hinted was a possibility but looked unlikely before.
Marni doesn’t eliminate anything...it helps with “score”

I love the guy...but imagineering makes stuff up everyday...just relaying it leaves a lot of room in the margins

Last edited:

UNCgolf

$300 million dollars is nothing in today’s dollars. We’re debatibg semantics...not reality

No it isn't -- you're falling into the trap I already mentioned. Only a few movies bring in those massive numbers. You're looking at Marvel movies and thinking every movie that releases is supposed to make that kind of money when 99% of them don't even come close. Mary Poppins Returns was never going to be that kind of movie. The vast majority of movies would KILL to get $350 million in box office returns. Honestly, if you think otherwise you shouldn't even be commenting about this because you don't understand anything about the movie industry.

It wasn't an overwhelming, massive success, and it certainly didn't do as well as the original Mary Poppins. But it did reasonably well and wasn't anywhere close to being a flop on Solo's level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom