News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We were getting a Brave whip ride at one point apparently so maybe this is for the best in the end. So be careful what you wish for. lol. I also have my suspicions we could have had another shooter dark ride on our hands with Brave so it may not have had anything to do with the actual culture. Choosing Brave was no guarantee we get some amazing attraction on the place and culture.

It's kind of interesting. When Brave was rumored people kind of panicked (though many begrudgingly agreed it could 'fit' better), wanted Poppins or other IPs. Now Poppins is confirmed and people are suddenly let down. LOL.
With all due respect, you toss out a lot of emotionally charged words to describe the ebb and flow of the conversation that are simply not accurate.

rle4lunch

Where's all the bemoaning of the use of another IP. Is Mary Poppins off the collective outrage table for using it in, gasp, Epcot? Lol

Maybe I missed the thread on this.

britain

That would be like having a USA pavilion and only representing Miami... The idea is to represent the country with the most iconic part...In one image, what represents the United Kingdom? Most likely the one image people conjure is Big Ben, Some part of London, Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.... Truth is there are a million other beautiful spots in the country, but what best represents it as a whole and recognizable place is more important for the identity of the pavilion. They did use a variety of architectural styles from around the UK to make up the body of the pavilion, and when I think of United Kingdom ( though I know it is comprised of many regions) I still go back to Mary Poppins...and I think most people do .

No, it’s more like having a United States pavilion only represented by Philadelphia… Oh wait.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mary Poppins is the obvious choice for the UK. It's the most enduring IP that would fit the theme. All the other options have either been done elsewhere (Alice, Pooh, Toad) or are just not as popular (Brave, Sword, Robin Hood). Another reason for Mary is that it will be a little different than going with an animated classic like 101 Dalmatians that would fit better in the MK. Perhaps the 'no IP' folks will like it from that perspective...

Mary poppins is the best achievement in the history of Disney movies - if we're honest - with really only Snow White and toy story entering the dialogue..

But it is a staunchly, silly, stereotypes view of London that was really for another time.

I love it...and would like to see a decent ride produced from it...but I also have no beef with Brits that say it's all wrong...or those that still lament the ending of epcot's theme, vision and history (hand up right here)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure why some forget this forum has "rumors" in the title ... I feel like it should go without saying not everything comes to fruition. Things die. It happens. Things ultimately go nowhere. It happens. I'd argue our insiders are pretty darn careful about what gets put on here. It's when ridiculous rumors get brought over from elsewhere that things get out of control lol

It's not the insiders that are a problem...I find them engaging, reasonable, properly reserved and so much better than the blowhards on the Toolboards...

It's the combative, defensive defenders of insiders that need to get some Zoloft...the "how dare you ask questions?!?" Crowd. I don't think the experienced watchers need defending...none of them are that heavy on their feet...and questions are the genesis of knowledge, interaction, and a greater philosophy.

Last edited:

Kman101

Where's all the bemoaning of the use of another IP. Is Mary Poppins off the collective outrage table for using it in, gasp, Epcot? Lol

Maybe I missed the thread on this.

Probably because some are willing to ignore the IP thing in this case, because, you know ... it's classic Disney. But I agree it's another use of IP and in theory that should be seen as 'wrong' by a lot of people. But I shamelessly admit I'm accepting of it here. I think they could do better in terms of representing the culture and I wish they would, but I'll take Mary. I also think people are willing to accept it more because it's more or less set in the place where the ride is going. Sure it's still fantasy but at least it's not Frozen, which wasn't set in Norway.

But you make a good point.

Kman101

It's not the insiders that are a problem...I find them engaging, reasonable, properly reserved and so much better than the blowhards on the Toolboards...

It's the combative, defensive defenders of insiders that need to get some Zoloft...the "how dare you ask questions?!?" Crowd. I don't think the experienced watchers need defending...none of them are that heavy on their feet...and questions are the genesis of knowledges, interaction, and a greater philosophy.

I feel like we're kind of talking about the same thing overall but aren't quite on the same page and that's probably my fault :joyfull: (as I was told I'm wrong in how I perceive things, heaven forbid ...)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If you don't like my posts, you know what to do. Sorry you don't like how I post but I'm not going to change for you. People perceive things differently, not everything translates on a message board and I'm one of the first to apologize if I've taken something the wrong way. I don't really owe you an explanation for my posting style, just accept I'm different, no one else takes public issue with it but you do you. Not the first time you've tried to come for me, but I forget, you don't like emotional. You've seemed to have made up your mind on me so everything I post you're going to find fault with, that's always a fun feeling, so thanks for that.
No need to victimize yourself. I just see a lot of mismanaged emotions in your posts. You ask me to accept that you are "different", but your posts seem like more of an effort to pander to every side of the topic at hand. You are excited but also critical. You approve, but will also wait and see. From one Disney fan to another, I respect your emotions towards the parks. I do not have any ill feelings towards you. Just pointing out the conflict I see in your posts. I appreciate your response and please know that I would not use the "ignore" feature because we disagree. What is the point of being a member here if a person only wants to hear like minded views? There are plenty of Disney fan sites that are run like dictatorships, and they are quite frankly, dull and boring.

rle4lunch

Probably because some are willing to ignore the IP thing in this case, because, you know ... it's classic Disney. But I agree it's another use of IP and in theory that should be seen as 'wrong' by a lot of people. But I shamelessly admit I'm accepting of it here. I think they could do better in terms of representing the culture and I wish they would, but I'll take Mary. I also think people are willing to accept it more because it's more or less set in the place where the ride is going. Sure it's still fantasy but at least it's not Frozen, which wasn't set in Norway.

But you make a good point.

I'm on the train of 'could care less if it's IP related' as long as it's an enjoyable ride. Disney was built on acquired IP's (movies, books, etc), so it's their right to use them as they see fit. That doesn't mean I still don't long for the days of my 80's childhood visiting a truly magical EPCOT (blew me away with what was there), but I don't see anything wrong with building a solid ride around an already fleshed out idea (i.e. IP). Frozen is light years better than Maelstrom, but understand that its based on fictional representations of ancient Scandinavia and not Norway proper.

I rode FoP a month or so ago for the first time. And for the first time, in a very long time, I felt that 80's EPCOT magic, if only for a brief second (because the actual ride time is about 30 seconds too short). I don't even like Avatar, but dang it they did good with it.

Kman101

No need to victimize yourself. I just see a lot of mismanaged emotions in your posts. You ask me to accept that you are "different", but your posts seem like more of an effort to pander to every side of the topic at hand. You are excited but also critical. You approve, but will also wait and see. From one Disney fan to another, I respect your emotions towards the parks. I do not have any ill feelings towards you. Just pointing out the conflict I see in your posts. I appreciate your response and please know that would not use the "ignore" feature because we disagre. What is the point of being a member here if a person only wants to hear like minded views? There are plenty of Disney fan sites that are run like dictatorships, and they are quite frankly, dull and boring.

This was a nice post, and I mean that. Thank you. Yeah I'm all over the place and I admit that. I don't see it as pandering but I guess I can see how it looks like that. The post was deleted because I saw it as you did, the victimizing thing, lol and I didn't want it to be a distraction in the thread. But I do appreciate this response.

For an example, I'd really love Epcot to be as it was, but I'm also not totally unaccepting of IPs. I fully admit that's contradictory. I do judge things initially but then I try and have a wait and see approach because sometimes in life we jump the gun a bit with making assumptions, and I do that a lot. I type how I think, so in my head as I'm typing I go back and forth on things and sometimes answer my own questions without realizing it. I guess I do try and balance both sides but it's not always intentional lol. I'm just always someone who's tried to find the middle ground. (EDIT: And I know that can be seen as wishy washy)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
LOL! But the attraction does chronical the history of the country and the building represents the colonial government... Liberty hall... Now if all they talked about in the ride was Cheesesteaks from Pat's or Geno's, then it would be a problem...lol

Excuse me...it's independence hall, old state house, Monticello, and the Virginia state house...if I do recall

Castle Cake Apologist

Not sure why some forget this forum has "rumors" in the title ... I feel like it should go without saying not everything comes to fruition. Things die. It happens. Things ultimately go nowhere. It happens. I'd argue our insiders are pretty darn careful about what gets put on here. It's when ridiculous rumors get brought over from elsewhere that things get out of control lol

Exactly.

Gotta love when somebody who has barely been a member here for 3 years tries to come in and act like he knows everything, while simultaneously contributing nothing other than telling everybody how wrong they are. Our insiders have a generally proven track record. They didn't become as respected as they are by being wrong all the time.

Spoiler alert: Sometimes projects change scope, or get canned altogether. Projects have been canceled after ground breaking before, for goodness sake. That's just the nature of this business, and especially this company.

It would do this poster well to go back through our insiders' histories and see how often they've been right. People like @marni1971 @Magic Feather @articos @MansionButler84 are incredible resources.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Sorry, but a Mary Poppins IP attraction is a terrible choice for this pavilion. Brave IMO was a far better choice. There is nothing in this area that represents my country, apart from the odd bit of Tartan. I suppose Welsh and Irish visitors feel the same.
Well, if Scotland had voted to leave the UK, they could have worked with Disney and had Scotland installed as its own WS pavilion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom