News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Kman101

And, sadly, they don't really care if it educates you on the place your visiting. I'm still excited for Mary regardless. Even if it isn't a fit in the way most want, it still fits better than Frozen (not the highest bar to set but still ...). Brave probably would have been better (Sword in the Stone would have been ideal, if we're doing IPs and not an originally created ride), but Poppins is great and deserves a ride after all these years. Cannot wait! But I have my expectations in check. We all know things can change. It's nice though that it finally got the greenlight. They just have to stick to it.

I find it interesting that a few posters who seem to question why we all seem to "jump" for these things and they seem to believe it's a load of you know what, but again, we have valid, trusted insiders who have long been proven correct. They've had more hits than misses and if they say something is planned, as of today, I believe them. I don't really get the constant need to question it. Just go with it. We all know what's up and how this company operates. We've all been let down many times before. As MansionButler said, 2000-2010 was disappointment after disappointment. Lots of possible things emerged that never happened. We get it so we don't need to always be told to expect the worst, most of us do but we still like to have at least a little optimism.

And, again, just because it's announced by Disney, even THAT doesn't mean it will happen. Until walls go up .... again, not sure why some people think we're all rubes or something who are too stupid to get how this company works. Sure some are more blinded but I think we're all smart enough to recognize reality at the end of the day.

I know it's hard to believe the company is spending money on WDW but they are and have been (you don't have to like how much the things have cost, you don't have to like what they've spent the money on, but it's being spent, and yes it's because they "have" to, we know that). None of us (well, some probably are of course) are under any delusions they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. We should have had constant movement of some sort the decade they wasted and this is playing catch up. We. Know. That. And we know they didn't plan these out of the goodness of their heart for WDW's 50th. But I do think they might have a bit of pressure to actually market it as more than a pin, shirt, cupcake and special guidmap. Not saying the things coming were *specifically* slated for the 50th, obviously this is catch up, but they can still market them towards the 50th, as they should, regardless of whether they were planned for it or not.

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

Sorry, but a Mary Poppins IP attraction is a terrible choice for this pavilion. Brave IMO was a far better choice. There is nothing in this area that represents my country, apart from the odd bit of Tartan. I suppose Welsh and Irish visitors feel the same.

I completely agree with you that there is nothing representing your country. It seems more expected that UK is mainly England and not the other 3 countries. I think a Brave attraction would be wonderful (or at least some meet n greets with various Brave characters).

I am a huge MP fan and would love it, but it feels like it could be similar to Peter Pan. Imagine what they could do with the Brave story line :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And, sadly, they don't really care if it educates you on the place your visiting. I'm still excited for Mary regardless. Even if it isn't a fit in the way most want, it still fits better than Frozen (not the highest bar to set but still ...). Brave probably would have been better (Sword in the Stone would have been ideal, if we're doing IPs and not an originally created ride), but Poppins is great and deserves a ride after all these years. Cannot wait! But I have my expectations in check. We all know things can change. It's nice though that it finally got the greenlight. They just have to stick to it.

I find it interesting that a few posters who seem to question why we all seem to "jump" for these things and they seem to believe it's a load of you know what, but again, we have valid, trusted insiders who have long been proven correct. They've had more hits than misses and if they say something is planned, as of today, I believe them. I don't really get the constant need to question it. Just go with it. We all know what's up and how this company operates. We've all been let down many times before. As MansionButler said, 2000-2010 was disappointment after disappointment. Lots of possible things emerged that never happened. We get it so we don't need to always be told to expect the worst, most of us do but we still like to have at least a little optimism.

And, again, just because it's announced by Disney, even THAT doesn't mean it will happen. Until walls go up .... again, not sure why some people think we're all rubes or something who are too stupid to get how this company works. Sure some are more blinded but I think we're all smart enough to recognize reality at the end of the day.

I know it's hard to believe the company is spending money on WDW but they are and have been (you don't have to like how much the things have cost, you don't have to like what they've spent the money on, but it's being spent, and yes it's because they "have" to, we know that). None of us (well, some probably are of course) are under any delusions they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. We should have had constant movement of some sort the decade they wasted and this is playing catch up. We. Know. That. And we know they didn't plan these out of the goodness of their heart for WDW's 50th. But I do think they might have a bit of pressure to actually market it as more than a pin, shirt, cupcake and special guidmap. Not saying the things coming were *specifically* slated for the 50th, obviously this is catch up, but they can still market them towards the 50th, as they should, regardless of whether they were planned for it or not.

You ok, bro? Do you need a rest?...an iced tea?...

(I'm kidding...though in your prose you both questioned why rumors are worth questioning...then completely covered why they ARE worth questioning.

For me...it's not the denial that wdi does spitballing in the blue sky and R&D...that is their thing...it when it's always run with as fact often when it makes no sense. This does...

To your point...it's often a fine line/moving target)

PorterRedkey

Well i think @MansionButler84 answered that for me a few post below!

And yes ive heard end of Summer for construction start
I saw that. Thanks!

I am glad this is finally moving forward. I'm especially happy it will be a dark ride. I'm not expecting a Mystic Manor quality dark ride, but could it be something like Mermaid? Or would it be closer to the old school dark rides like Toad or Snow White? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of space for anything too crazy.

Kman101

You ok, bro? Do you need a rest?...an iced tea?...

(I'm kidding...though in your prose you both questioned why rumors are worth questioning...then completely covered why they ARE worth questioning.

For me...it's not the denial that wdi does spitballing in the blue sky and R&D...that is their thing...it when it's always run with as fact often when it makes no sense. This does...

To your point...it's often a fine line/moving target)

I don't know, I get what you're saying about running with it as a fact, but I think we're mostly aware of what the deal is. Certain things, yes, are ridiculous rumors and should be taken as such but when someone says what MansionButler did, I trust the information is correct, and I believe that the plan, as of yesterday, was to go with that. But there's a difference between that and everyone jumping and worrying or running with it when Jim Hill throws out there the Black Panther thing. I think there's a difference but I feel like you might be lumping it at all together. I guess my point is we, or at least I, know what the deal is. Many of course don't and run with things as facts, I get that's a problem. But I think this board does a pretty solid job.

I agree with you on the spitballing. That to me is Jim Hill. He throws out some rumblings that are probably nothing more than ideas thrown out in a meeting (although he has had some scoops over the years) and people take it as fact. I get that is a problem. But again, a lot here are pretty aware.

It's all good, no worries here. And yeah, sometimes I answer my own question as I'm writing and don't even realize it. I sometimes contradict myself too ;) lol it's all good.

I guess I was just a bit confused by what I saw as a need to kind of talk down to us, but after looking at it a different way, I can appreciate you wanting to make sure posters are aware of things and that they shouldn't always run with them as gospel, which is very true. I agree with a lot of your posts most of the time ... anyway, it's really not a big deal, sorry if it felt like I was coming at you or something, wasn't my intention at all :)

Kman101

I completely agree with you that there is nothing representing your country. It seems more expected that UK is mainly England and not the other 3 countries. I think a Brave attraction would be wonderful (or at least some meet n greets with various Brave characters).

I am a huge MP fan and would love it, but it feels like it could be similar to Peter Pan. Imagine what they could do with the Brave story line :)

We were getting a Brave whip ride at one point apparently so maybe this is for the best in the end. So be careful what you wish for. lol. I also have my suspicions we could have had another shooter dark ride on our hands with Brave so it may not have had anything to do with the actual culture. Choosing Brave was no guarantee we get some amazing attraction on the place and culture.

It's kind of interesting. When Brave was rumored people kind of panicked (though many begrudgingly agreed it could 'fit' better), wanted Poppins or other IPs. Now Poppins is confirmed and people are suddenly let down. LOL.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know, I get what you're saying about running with it as a fact, but I think we're mostly aware of what the deal is. Certain things, yes, are ridiculous rumors and should be taken as such but when someone says what MansionButler did, I trust the information is correct, and I believe that the plan, as of yesterday, was to go with that. But there's a difference between that and everyone jumping and worrying or running with it when Jim Hill throws out there the Black Panther thing. I think there's a difference but I feel like you might be lumping it at all together. I guess my point is we, or at least I, know what the deal is. Many of course don't and run with things as facts, I get that's a problem. But I think this board does a pretty solid job.

I agree with you on the spitballing. That to me is Jim Hill. He throws out some rumblings that are probably nothing more than ideas thrown out in a meeting (although he has had some scoops over the years) and people take it as fact. I get that is a problem. But again, a lot here are pretty aware.

It's all good, no worries here. And yeah, sometimes I answer my own question as I'm writing and don't even realize it. I sometimes contradict myself too ;) lol it's all good.

I guess I was just a bit confused by what I saw as a need to kind of talk down to us, but after looking at it a different way, I can appreciate you wanting to make sure posters are aware of things and that they shouldn't always run with them as gospel, which is very true. I agree with a lot of your posts most of the time ... anyway, it's really not a big deal, sorry if it felt like I was coming at you or something, wasn't my intention at all :)

It's not even "talking down"...I don't resent purveyors of "information" - though I'm often accused of that - I just like to caution people to stay VIGILANT and demand more from the walt disney company for the ever increasing price/decreasing value product they pay for...it's a constant fight. People need to be critical for the greater good. Not assume cheap suits in Burbank are gonna build them new toys because it's "the Disney way"...we crossed the rubicon on that 30 or so years ago. Consumer laziness hurts us all.

This tip makes a lot of sense...ip infusion at the struggling Epcot as they see they are gonna have massive problems at the other 3 with crowds (at least until Kennedy chokes the air out of Star Wars 😎 ).

But the coco one...reported as it hit the theaters...did not. At least not at THAT time...maybe now or in a year...who knows? That was Jim hill, overzealous junior purple ID type stuff. When I say the "smell test"...that's what I mean.

Kman101

You're more than welcome to leave. Trust me.

Not sure why some forget this forum has "rumors" in the title ... I feel like it should go without saying not everything comes to fruition. Things die. It happens. Things ultimately go nowhere. It happens. I'd argue our insiders are pretty darn careful about what gets put on here. It's when ridiculous rumors get brought over from elsewhere that things get out of control lol

Kman101

It's not even "talking down"...I don't resent purveyors of "information" - though I'm often accused of that - I just like to caution people to stay VIGILANT and demand more from the walt disney company for the ever increasing price/decreasing value product they pay for...it's a constant fight. People need to be critical for the greater good. Not assume cheap suits in Burbank are gonna build them new toys because it's "the Disney way"...we crossed the rubicon on that 30 or so years ago. Consumer laziness hurts us all.

This tip makes a lot of sense...ip infusion at the struggling Epcot as they see they are gonna have massive problems at the other 3 with crowds (at least until Kennedy chokes the air out of Star Wars 😎 ).

But the coco one...reported as it hit the theaters...did not. At least not at THAT time...maybe now or in a year...who knows? That was Jim hill, overzealous junior purple ID type stuff. When I say the "smell test"...that's what I mean.

About the Coco one, I guess people took it as gospel it was happening, I may need to go back to the beginning of the thread and refresh my memory. But it was a rumor that ultimately made a lot of sense to a lot of people so they either wanted it or hoped for it or accepted it as coming, because, it likely will at some point. I don't recall being told Coco was "greenlit" as the film opened, it was just a rumor that an overlay may happen, at least that's how I took it. Rumors have to start somewhere and many things that start out as "I doubt that's happening" have often come back around. People initially probably never would have thought we'd be getting Mickey in GMR and Guardians in Energy but here we are.

Kman101

Imagine less.

Mermaid level, or Pinocchio level? In-between? Omnimover? Classic Fantasyland style dark ride that rushes you through the ride in two minutes?

(And I know you probably can't give anything else up right now).

I don't think anyone should be expecting LPS here, IMHO. We're getting plenty of them, even though it'd be a great use of it, IMO.

Dutch Inn '76

Mary Poppins is the obvious choice for the UK. It's the most enduring IP that would fit the theme. All the other options have either been done elsewhere (Alice, Pooh, Toad) or are just not as popular (Brave, Sword, Robin Hood). Another reason for Mary is that it will be a little different than going with an animated classic like 101 Dalmatians that would fit better in the MK. Perhaps the 'no IP' folks will like it from that perspective...

Bocabear

Sorry, but a Mary Poppins IP attraction is a terrible choice for this pavilion. Brave IMO was a far better choice. There is nothing in this area that represents my country, apart from the odd bit of Tartan. I suppose Welsh and Irish visitors feel the same.
That would be like having a USA pavilion and only representing Miami... The idea is to represent the country with the most iconic part...In one image, what represents the United Kingdom? Most likely the one image people conjure is Big Ben, Some part of London, Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.... Truth is there are a million other beautiful spots in the country, but what best represents it as a whole and recognizable place is more important for the identity of the pavilion. They did use a variety of architectural styles from around the UK to make up the body of the pavilion, and when I think of United Kingdom ( though I know it is comprised of many regions) I still go back to Mary Poppins...and I think most people do .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom