Anna and Elsa Moving to Fairy Tale Hall

EricJ

You can hurl all the half-baked insults at the movie you want, but sometimes, you just have to admit that just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad.

Oh, thanks, forgot, that was the other thing that makes a Cult: The "Attack one of us, you attack all of us!" mentality that to point out the movie's flaws is somehow a judgmental personal insult upon those who like it, and have taken it upon themselves to unite and defend the movie with their own lives.
Look, that's why we buy disks, so we can put the movie safely somewhere else, and keep our own lives and identities where they should be.

jt04

Oh, thanks, forgot, that was the other thing that makes a Cult: The "Attack one of us, you attack all of us!" mentality that to point out the movie's flaws is somehow a judgmental personal insult upon those who like it, and have taken it upon themselves to unite and defend the movie with their own lives.
Look, that's why we buy disks, so we can put the movie safely somewhere else, and keep our own lives and identities where they should be.

I have not seen the movie and quite honestly at this point I am afraid to. I have heard the song a few times (three I think) and I just do not understand the hype. It isn't bad but......... it is all just inexplicable. Sorry to interrupt your stream of consciousness. Carry on by all means.

Cosmic Commando

You're just throwing up random arguments, hoping something sticks. These alleged people who think Frozen "gives their lives new meaning" are probably teenage girls who have been subject to such hyperbole since the beginning of time... they just have more of a voice now, thanks to 24 hour news and social media. I haven't seen any people like this, personally, but I'm sure there are a few. You say that it's a "cult"; I'm not sure how you draw the line. I simply see the success of Frozen as a welcome throwback to the days when a Disney animated movie was part of general pop culture... to this day, you still hear Can You Feel the Love Tonight on at least one local radio station once in a while. I checked the playlist the other day, and Let it Go had played that day, as well. You say the movie is nothing more than a soundtrack... I just don't see it. I don't think the story is any more focused on or driven by the songs than most.

Edit: And that "attack one of us..." "personal insult" thing really came out of left field... from the minor league park next door.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

I have not seen the movie and quite honestly at this point I am afraid to. I have heard the song a few times (three I think) and I just do not understand the hype. It isn't bad but......... it is all just inexplicable. Sorry to interrupt your stream of consciousness. Carry on by all means.
For someone who spends so much of their time (not just you, but really anyone on these boards) dissecting TWDC like you do, I don't really see why you'd avoid seeing a movie that has 90% critical approval, 90% audience approval over a range of ages/genders and a ton of financial success... and you can get it at Redbox probably less than a couple of miles from your house for $1.20 or rent it from Amazon for a few bucks. It just seems like you want your "too good to see Frozen" badge like @EricJ says people are standing in line for their "Frozen real-life soundtrack in person" badges. I think the hardest thing is to not let everyone else's reaction affect how you see the movie. I didn't see it until it came out on Amazon in March; Let it Go was probably my least favorite song, but I still liked the movie. THE SONG has grown on me, but I still like the other parts of the movie better. I don't think there's a good reason not to give it a chance at this point.

EricJ

You're just throwing up random arguments, hoping something sticks. These alleged people who think Frozen "gives their lives new meaning" are probably teenage girls who have been subject to such hyperbole since the beginning of time... they just have more of a voice now, thanks to 24 hour news and social media. I haven't seen any people like this, personally, but I'm sure there are a few. You say that it's a "cult"; I'm not sure how you draw the line..

It was the female audience (and maybe, understandably, a few of the gay audiences) finding either the things in their own lives they wanted to "Let Go"--which had little to do with Elsa retreating to an ice castle--or wishfully grabbed the idea that Anna didn't marry the jerk prince at the end as some "progressive message" to our generation of daughters. (Actually, Hans wasn't even the villain until a last-minute emergency script-doctoring, which explains why that also comes in out of left field from another ball park.)
Like I'd said, the more that they mention Elsa without mentioning Anna, the more you can make a pretty good guess...

In other words, they're making the movie what they want it to be for them, instead of what it already is, and using it as a Guide to Life, instead of something they could find in their own lives around them. That's, um....a cult.
I could make jokes about fans "drinking the Kool-aid" about buying the hype over all the "messages" in Frozen, but that reference would also come from a cult.

Cosmic Commando

It was the female audience (and maybe, understandably, a few of the gay audiences) finding either the things in their own lives they wanted to "Let Go"--which had little to do with Elsa retreating to an ice castle--or wishfully grabbed the idea that Anna didn't marry the jerk prince at the end as some "progressive message" to our generation of daughters. (Actually, Hans wasn't even the villain until a last-minute emergency script-doctoring, which explains why that also comes in out of left field from another ball park.)
Like I'd said, the more that they mention Elsa without mentioning Anna, the more you can make a pretty good guess...

In other words, they're making the movie what they want it to be for them, instead of what it already is, and using it as a Guide to Life, instead of something they could find in their own lives around them. That's, um....a cult.
I could make jokes about fans "drinking the Kool-aid" about buying the hype over all the "messages" in Frozen, but that reference would also come from a cult.
I've heard that once on this thread, and you jumped all over it. That is "more", though. If they took the story in a cool direction, you can't discount it because it wasn't always planned like that... what matters is what we got. You won't hear me defend a bad movie by saying,"Well, they almost did this at the end, so that actually makes it a good movie." I'm sure there are some people obsessed with Elsa out there, but it's not homogeneous. I liked Anna much more than Elsa; I found Elsa too cold (pun intended and also not intended).

Arty Cordova

Eric have you been to the proctologist lately ?? Cause that pole is out of control.

jt04

For someone who spends so much of their time (not just you, but really anyone on these boards) dissecting TWDC like you do, I don't really see why you'd avoid seeing a movie that has 90% critical approval, 90% audience approval over a range of ages/genders and a ton of financial success... and you can get it at Redbox probably less than a couple of miles from your house for $1.20 or rent it from Amazon for a few bucks. It just seems like you want your "too good to see Frozen" badge like @EricJ says people are standing in line for their "Frozen real-life soundtrack in person" badges. I think the hardest thing is to not let everyone else's reaction affect how you see the movie. I didn't see it until it came out on Amazon in March; Let it Go was probably my least favorite song, but I still liked the movie. THE SONG has grown on me, but I still like the other parts of the movie better. I don't think there's a good reason not to give it a chance at this point.

I am not really into animation. Ironic, isn't it? :cool:

BigTxEars

As a non gay male where do I fit in as a fan of the movie? :confused:

PhotoDave219

So do a lot of characters but when the character of the month pulls in 4 hour waits are they really going to bring characters most savages won't recognize?

You've got a valid point… But I'm just frustrated by management. 10 or 15 years of boiling things down to the lowest common denominator has me frustrated today…

Attachments

• BmK2PMQIQAAaKuX.jpg
    BmK2PMQIQAAaKuX.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom