Anna and Elsa Moving to Fairy Tale Hall

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Can't wrap my brain around this.

BmFyfCGIYAAAE_L.jpg:large

thrillgeek

wdrive

Sure, if you can figure out what two Nordic characters are doing in Victorian times or 30's Hollywood. Or why characters would be appearing at a gourmet-chef spot.
Look, if we tell you that they only have six or seven actual character dining locales out of the "65", will you drop it? And if you did, as aladdin says, it would wipe out "Available reservations".

They don't really have much to do with it yet Cinderella has nothing to do with Victorian times and a Pirate, a Princess, a contemporary Doctor and builder have very little to do with 30's Hollywood. Not saying that it's right to force characters into unthemed environments but it's quite clear that Disney doesn't really care about that all too much.

Matt_Black

They don't really have much to do with it yet Cinderella has nothing to do with Victorian times and a Pirate, a Princess, a contemporary Doctor and builder have very little to do with 30's Hollywood. Not saying that it's right to force characters into unthemed environments but it's quite clear that Disney doesn't really care about that all too much.

They're characters in a movie about your dinner. BAM! Theming.

71jason

Off-topic, but not really newsworthy enough of its own thread ...

Yesterday evening, the pianist in the Grand Floridian lobby played "Let It Go" five times over the course of four sets. He opened and closed with it the final set, and still played "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" in between. The final time he had a circle of young princesses surrounding him singing along.

Frozen, and Elsa, have reached a level of popularity Disney has not seen in generations.

cw1982

Off-topic, but not really newsworthy enough of its own thread ...

Yesterday evening, the pianist in the Grand Floridian lobby played "Let It Go" five times over the course of four sets. He opened and closed with it the final set, and still played "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" in between. The final time he had a circle of young princesses surrounding him singing along.

Frozen, and Elsa, have reached a level of popularity Disney has not seen in generations.

Just goes to show why this meet and greet is seeing such asinine wait times.

I do think some of that might be improved if they did have Anna and Elsa at Akershush (I know they could do other restaurants, but to me that one still makes the most sense because of the setting). I can still get Akershus ADR's for my trip that is just over 30 days out, so it's not currently as difficult to book as BoG or CRT. While this may make Akershus fill up more quickly, hopefully it would alleviate some of the demand at MK. Since there are already (from my understanding) multiple princesses at Akershus, it wouldn't increase the number of actresses they'd need to pay; if anything, this change might decrease the number of actresses, unless they kept some of the other princesses around as well or incorporated some of the other characters from Frozen.

PhotoDave219

Just goes to show why this meet and greet is seeing such asinine wait times.

I do think some of that might be improved if they did have Anna and Elsa at Akershush (I know they could do other restaurants, but to me that one still makes the most sense because of the setting). I can still get Akershus ADR's for my trip that is just over 30 days out, so it's not currently as difficult to book as BoG or CRT. While this may make Akershus fill up more quickly, hopefully it would alleviate some of the demand at MK. Since there are already (from my understanding) multiple princesses at Akershus, it wouldn't increase the number of actresses they'd need to pay; if anything, this change might decrease the number of actresses, unless they kept some of the other princesses around as well or incorporated some of the other characters from Frozen.

Demand outweighs supply. Let's say you have a character that meets for 12 hours straight, back to back. Assume 1 min per group, you can see a max of 1440 groups per day. Now let's say we have a way to double this with a second room. You're still looking at 2800 people max, with 2500 more realistic.

Now if it's 9-5, you're looking 1900 groups a day.

MK averages 46-47k people per day.

No matter how you skew the numbers in either direction, there are way more than 3000 little kids that want to meet Anna & Elsa per day. And no matter what Disney does? It won't change that.

cw1982

Demand outweighs supply. Let's say you have a character that meets for 12 hours straight, back to back. Assume 1 min per group, you can see a max of 1440 groups per day. Now let's say we have a way to double this with a second room. You're still looking at 2800 people max, with 2500 more realistic.

Now if it's 9-5, you're looking 1900 groups a day.

MK averages 46-47k people per day.

No matter how you skew the numbers in either direction, there are way more than 3000 little kids that want to meet Anna & Elsa per day. And no matter what Disney does? It won't change that.

Oh I know that adding Anna and Elsa to Akershus would not completely solve the situation, but it would alleviate at least a small part of that demand and add more demand to Akershus, arguably putting it into the same category as BoG and CRT in terms of ADR availability. Maybe increasing demand for Akershus isn't necessary; I can see how they would be full by the time day-of guests my try to make resevations, since the times that are available aren't exactly abundant, but they are, nonetheless, still present. I was just basing my observations off of what I can pull up in MDE at a month out from my trip.

Ultimately, the only thing that will fully resolve the wait times for the Anna and Elsa meet and greet will be time, as the hype dies down and new characters come along.

PhotoDave219

Oh I know that adding Anna and Elsa to Akershus would not completely solve the situation, but it would alleviate at least a small part of that demand and add more demand to Akershus, arguably putting it into the same category as BoG and CRT in terms of ADR availability. Maybe increasing demand for Akershus isn't necessary; I can see how they would be full by the time day-of guests my try to make resevations, since the times that are available aren't exactly abundant, but they are, nonetheless, still present. I was just basing my observations off of what I can pull up in MDE at a month out from my trip.

Ultimately, the only thing that will fully resolve the wait times for the Anna and Elsa meet and greet will be time, as the hype dies down and new characters come along.

This is a once in a generation moment. It happened with lion King…

We are looking at success of a film, this is it. Eventually, lines will die down… But not for 6 to 9 months at the earliest.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Yep, but we're in the UK, where we also ask for documented proof from a doctor for a Ride Access Pass at a theme park ;) I have seen people stopped at said cinema, which is a national chain, and they get their ticket refunded, they were ok with it once the rules were explained (which was when weekend matinees need a child to accompany an adult).
Yeah, I understand. I believe that Legoland in Canada won't allow childless adults in either. However, no way would Disney be able to do that.

EricJ

This is a once in a generation moment. It happened with lion King…
We are looking at success of a film, this is it. Eventually, lines will die down… But not for 6 to 9 months at the earliest.

Oh freakin' Harriet, did it happen with Lion King! (And our insistence that Beauty & the Beast be given its Oscar, since we all suddenly found it neato that we were liking Disney movies again after the 80's.) And that's not counting Roger Rabbit six years before that, and the 00's Pixar-mania between TS2 and Wall-E that peaked with Finding Nemo.
Think "generations" is the key word--Each one thinks they're the "first" to go fad-goofy over a Disney movie they suddenly noticed they like.

(Also noticed that Jason singled out Elsa: Strange, but ever notice that the more fan-hysterical the devoted get, the LESS they mention Anna?--Unless of course, they mention her only in context of the Snowman song.
That's usually a good way to tell which are the more Cult of the Oprah Song fans, and which just liked the actual movie.)

Last edited:

Kman101

I'd say Belle's still quite popular. Her meet and grope did fairly well when it opened. And look how long people wait to get into the slightly overrated Be our Guest restaurant.

And where were they having Lion King meet and greets back in 94? We can't base it off of that. Festival of Lion King remains quite a popular show. If either had no presence, I'd agree, but to say they aren't popular ... I disagree. There were parades, a puppet show ...

It WILL die down like everything else, of course it will. I don't think anyone expects 4 hour waits six months from now. If there are, then I say that says something, or it says something about how lacking Disney films have been. Whether anyone likes them or not, they've clearly earned their place.

Roger Rabbit remains popular too. I believe he has show up in Disneyland at their Easter grope fest.

Just pointing things out. To me, that means they're still popular and relevant. Disney wants to make money and they are off of those properties.

EricJ

And where were they having Lion King meet and greets back in 94? We can't base it off of that. Festival of Lion King remains quite a popular show. If either had no presence, I'd agree, but to say they aren't popular ... I disagree. There were parades, a puppet show ...

And Timon pretty much everywhere. (Which only increased with Animal Kingdom.)

I am not so sure about it being a once in a generation thing. We saw inklings of it with PatF and Tangled.
'Cult of personality' anyone? :inlove:

Not really--P&tF had to be "government-protected" by Iger like an endangered species, since fans liked the character, and some maybe even liked the movie, but the boardroom would have used box office as an excuse to bury the marketing.
And while there'd been good post-Eisner films before Tangled (Bolt, Meet the Robinsons), Tangled was seen as the movie that symbolized the New Lasseter Renaissance of good Disney movies again, not to mention that Rapunzel was definitely a new character for the ages.

Here, it's the Song, the Song, the Danged Song, everywhere you go. (And, of course, the Other Danged Song that was at least okay, and had probably the only actual moments of sympathetic character pathos in the whole movie.)
The CM's do a good job of playing Anna as the bubbling bundle of energy she was in the movie, and the Elsas play it, well, cool, but it seems like a wasted effort, as the line fans only seem to be pilgrimaging to get their "passport stamped" as showing that they're fans of the movie with their favorite soundtrack.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

And Timon pretty much everywhere. (Which only increased with Animal Kingdom.)

Not really--P&tF had to be "government-protected" by Iger like an endangered species, since fans liked the character, and some maybe even liked the movie, but the boardroom would have used box office as an excuse to bury the marketing.
And while there'd been good post-Eisner films before Tangled (Bolt, Meet the Robinsons), Tangled was seen as the movie that symbolized the New Lasseter Renaissance of good Disney movies again, not to mention that Rapunzel was definitely a new character for the ages.

Here, it's the Song, the Song, the Danged Song, everywhere you go. (And, of course, the Other Danged Song that was at least okay, and had probably the only actual moments of sympathetic character pathos in the whole movie.)
The CM's do a good job of playing Anna as the bubbling bundle of energy she was in the movie, and the Elsas play it, well, cool, but it seems like a wasted effort, as the line fans only seem to be pilgrimaging to get their "passport stamped" as showing that they're fans of the movie with their favorite soundtrack.
What the heck do you have against the movie? It's a good movie. It has a good soundtrack. People like it. There's always someone who feels the need to tear down things that other people like, even with no good reason. Snowman, For the First Time in Forever (+ reprise), and Let it Go all have their sappy parts... and that's just the songs. I'm pretty sure there's also some pathos when Anna sacrifices herself to save her sister. I'm not sure what movie you were watching if you only felt sympathetic towards the characters during "the other danged song".

PhotoDave219

I am not so sure about it being a once in a generation thing. We saw inklings of it with PatF and Tangled. They have continued to get better with matching marketing and a product that connects with its audience. I think it could become more and more frequent. Can't wait to see what happens with Aurora next month and also new Star Wars. It is both fascinating and frightening at the same time because they are surely capable of both good and bad uses with this knowledge.

'Cult of personality' anyone? :inlove:

It's all very interesting.

Point being, a meet and greet handles very few people.

EricJ

What the heck do you have against the movie? It's a good movie. It has a good soundtrack. People like it. I'm not sure what movie you were watching if you only felt sympathetic towards the characters during "the other danged song".

Because it takes more than just giddy fandom to make a cult. Three or four hours of people feeling they "have" to sacrifice their day to wait in line is a cult.
A cult--whether it's for a celebrity or one of those that passes out flowers in the airport--makes you believe that it has the answers you don't, and you're so grateful that you've been lost and searching for them until you suddenly found them now, that you're willing to change your life to serve it.
Me, I liked Aladdin, but I didn't go around saying "This movie has inspired me to be free and independent and live a Whole New World!", thinking it told me something about my own life I wanted to hear. I liked it because it was funny, exciting, had good characters, an actual coherent story, and was a darn good movie.

And Frozen, as I may have earlier intimated, is not a good movie. It's not a bad one in the sense that, say, Atlantis was bad, just in the sense that Hunchback was bad for being so caught up in being a Broadway Show of drawn-over flesh-and-blood people, it forgot it was an animated movie.
(Recently, I put on Dreamworks' Prince of Egypt over Easter, and was so struck by how the 90's Renaissance in its day, and all its many imitators, believed all musical numbers had to be montages on the move, it made me stare again as to how we could have whole scenes in Frozen of Elsa standing and singing center stage, or Anna singing in a big hallway all by herself. Frozen was made by people who were so rooted in their own field, they couldn't grasp what an animated story was outside of the fact that it had big songs, and, well, I could. So could Tangled.)

Last edited:

BigTxEars

Because it takes more than just giddy fandom to make a cult. Three or four hours of people feeling they "have" to sacrifice their day to wait in line is a cult.
A cult--whether it's for a celebrity or one of those that passes out flowers in the airport--makes you believe that it has the answers you don't, and you're so grateful that you've been lost and searching for them until you suddenly found them now, that you're willing to change your life to serve it.
Me, I liked Aladdin, but I didn't go around saying "This movie has inspired me to be free and independent and live a Whole New World!", thinking it told me something about my own life I wanted to hear. I liked it because it was funny, exciting, had good characters, an actual coherent story, and was a darn good movie.

And Frozen, as I may have earlier intimated, is not a good movie. It's not a bad one in the sense that, say, Atlantis was bad, just in the sense that Hunchback was bad for being so caught up in being a Broadway Show of drawn-over flesh-and-blood people, it forgot it was an animated movie.
(Recently, I put on Dreamworks' Prince of Egypt over Easter, and was so struck by how the 90's Renaissance in its day, and all its many imitators, believed all musical numbers had to be montages on the move, it made me stare again as to how we could have whole scenes in Frozen of Elsa standing and singing center stage, or Anna singing in a big hallway all by herself. Frozen was made by people who were so rooted in their own field, they couldn't grasp what an animated story was outside of the fact that it had big songs, and, well, I could. So could Tangled.)

Your opinion on Frozen is noted, in fact it has been multiple times already :)

Some of us like it, because it was well done with a good set of characters, well written and yeah the songs were pretty good as well. So that that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom