Animal Kingdom launches new category of dining - Picnic in the Park

krankenstein

Apologies if you did not mean it in a negative light. So much news around here is met with so much resistance that reasonable discourse is hard to interpret.

I still stand by that this is unique dining opportunity not related to any "problem" the park has. Just because AK does not have as many sit down dining options as other parks does mean that it doesn't have enough. I know it is anecdotial but I have never had problem dining in AK. Also Rainforest is literally ten feet outside the gate of AK.

Apology accepted. :wave:

WDWRLD

I wouldn't think that it would be any worse than the other outdoor seating areas in the park.

Animal Kingdom has always had different packaging standards. I would think they would continue through to this endevour as well.

I do agree that this could be a good thing and will give it a try. It will work great as long as those that use it use it wisely. If people start using this to eat in the lines for shows and rides there will be messes left for others to walk through. Its one thing for a Turkey leg or a icecream, some popcorn or a hotdog, but when you start adding in plates and sides and knives and forks there just isnt enough hands. But again I do like this new program....

TooCoolForTheJC

good idea but doesn't seem to be much on offer for veggetarians

That's exactly what I was thinking and unfortunately for us vegetarians it says at the bottom no substitutions of modifications allowed. That's the first time I've ever heard that from Disney, they're usually pretty good at accommodating me. But hopefully soon they'll add a veggy option cause this sounds really cool.

WDW1974

The food choices look and sound good. The prices, by Disney standards, appear reasonable.

My only issue? Bottled water. I like an ice cold Coke with my meal. They should offer a real beverage choice ... water just doesn't cut it unless their goal is to add another $2.50 a person for a soft drink, iced tea or lemonade.

~Luvs picnics!~

dazzer68

sounds like a great new way of eating and this park will suit the idea.
just two complaints, id like a meal for 2 option,(dont they think couples want to picnic?)
and i dont want dasini water, here in the uk it has been banned from sale (due to its carcagenic qualitys) juice or soda should be an option.
other than that sounds great.what took em so long?

pilka214

i like this idea a lot, it reminds me to a something i've done at Aquatica water park, you reserve a cabana and from the cabana you order a basket of food, and it tends to be a good deal and pretty decent food.

and i like the idea of a picnic at animal kingdom, you get the whole outdoorsy kinda feel while your there and a picnic meshes perfectly.

just looking at the pics the sides look a little small... maybe it's just the picture, idk, i'm sure i'll try it out sometime soon, seems like a slightly more economical way to eat.

I think this is a great option for families. I plan on trying it when we go in May with the 6 person option. I have always really likes AK and think it will be a good way to slow down and enjoy the park more. The price is very reasonable considering the other options around. I was planning on buying one of those bags anyway. I am not super familiar with the picnic option areas, anyone recommend a quiet pretty location to eat??

nibblesandbits

I think this sounds like a fantastic idea. Definitely something different and, in a way, creative.

I too, wish they would offer an option for a two person meal, since right now, it's just me and my DH...maybe in the future, if this takes off well, they will.

But overall, good job to Disney on this one. :)

kissinuk

Until there's a vegetarian option this is a no-go for me (and a lot of others). Shame really, it'd be nice to picnic in AK without all the hassle.

Phonedave

The food choices look and sound good. The prices, by Disney standards, appear reasonable.

My only issue? Bottled water. I like an ice cold Coke with my meal. They should offer a real beverage choice ... water just doesn't cut it unless their goal is to add another $2.50 a person for a soft drink, iced tea or lemonade.

~Luvs picnics!~

I found it funny that in the pictures of the food they show fountain beverages of some sort, but it only includes water.

My guess on the host of "limits" on this is that they are starting slow, to assess a number of things - namely sales volume, pick up time spread, and number of requests for substitutions.

Can you picture 300 people ordering box lunches, each one "customized" and all picking them up around the same time. Making them all pretty much the same allows a service pre-pack of the main course, and then quick final assembly when someone comes to pick them up.

This is only a guess, but from similar operation I am going to say - sandwitches are pre-made that moring, wrapped, and stored in a insulated box. Hot foods are prepped, pre-packed and kept in a hot box. Waters are iced down in chest. You come up and hand in your paperwork, the CM slaps sandwitches from bulk storage in a bag pre-loaded with plates, throws in your side, and the correct number of waters and you are gone.

I think this is a great idea, and I like the fact that its not shoehorned to fit the DDP system, but rather designed for a cash guest and the DDP option is sort of there if you want to go that route.

Maybe in the future they will add soda to the offering. That should not be too difficult to handle.

-dave

Rob562

I found it funny that in the pictures of the food they show fountain beverages of some sort, but it only includes water.

The cups in the photos are the containers of side dishes, not beverages. They actually don't show any beverages in the photos.

-Rob

Sadiebird

Very cool, if they'd only offer vegetarian fare. I like the idea though. And not priced to bad either.

I'm hoping that they'll add a vegetarian option if this picnic lunch becomes popular enough. I'm sure they will. Think of how much better it's gotten for vegetarians in the last 10 years. We have so many more options than we used to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom