Animal Kingdom launches new category of dining - Picnic in the Park

Rob562

Are the picnic areas special seating? The map is too small to read.

They're just pre-existing seating areas that don't get much use.

Did you click on the small versions in the links? They open as a larger version (or try right clicking on the small image and choose "open target in new window". That opens the full version of the photo)

-Rob

Phonedave

The cups in the photos are the containers of side dishes, not beverages. They actually don't show any beverages in the photos.

-Rob

What, you mean you don't like to drink a nice cup of mac n' cheese, or maybe wash your lunch down with a big drink of green beans? :0

Thats one on me. I just clicked over to take a quick look, saw the cups and saw the yellow mac & cheese one. For some reason it registered as a Poweraide type beverage, and I moved on.

Thanks for pointing that out.

-dave

melissw

I also want to add my vote for a 2-person option.
We're on the DDP when we go in 2 weeks so I don't want to pay cash and increase the chance of having QS credits left over at the end. And I don't want to use 3 credits and have a lot of food we may not eat...
Even if it doesn't quite work for me this time, it's a great idea and I hope they expand on it whether at other parks, a veggie option for others, or a 2-person option. :slurp:

tomm4004

Informative take by Kevin. Perhaps it's a matter of working out kinks, but it still seems easier just to go to Flame Tree and order at the window. However, this does add a level of option and variety without having to build a new restaurant - although they could have Flame Tree et al expand their menus. It seems that these are pre-packaged sandwiches and they just toss them in the bag. But I'm still confused about seating - where you go and how you get a table. In Kevin's pictures there are no people actually eating.

Rob562

Yee has some interesting firsthand observations about the new DAK picnic offerings:

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky041609a.htm

Apparently, there are service kinks to be worked out. I'm not sure how they can solve the problem of designated seating areas being used only by non-picnicers.

The picnic areas aren't intended to be for picnic-meal-purchasers only. For the most part, they're just lesser-used, already-existing tables and chairs in the park. Typically they're near snack stands rather than the larger counter service eateries, and thus picnicers would have a better chance of finding an open table. (in Kevin's first picnic-table photo you can even see the ice cream cart in the background)

But some tables are near other attactions, and thus draw in people who just want a place to sit down. Kevin's final photo is of a seating area that's just down the path from Expedition Everest. I'm sure many of those people sitting there are waiting for people to come off of Everest. The other picnic table photo is at the edge of Dinorama. At least some of those people are probably waiting for people to come off of Primeval Whirl or Triceratops Spin, which are immediately behind the photographer.

-Rob

mousebymarriage

I think it sounds like a great idea, something a little different. Hopefully, my DH won't lose his job and things will get better financially so we can eventually make another trip to Disney and try out this picnic thing!

Shimmer73083

I'm really excited to try this in September!! So glad they have an option for two people now and it's on the dining plan. Thanks so much for the update Steve!

bcornette

For the concern about adult vs child credits and families with children under 10, it should not be an issue. The DDP clearly states a child must order from the children's menu IF one exists. There is no children's menu for the picnic, just like Caseey's at MK, so any type of QS credit should work fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom