American Idol!

GenerationX

STR8FAN2005 said:
I am still not understanding the hatred for Kellie on here and the undeserved praise for Elliott.

Stars tonight:
Kellie, Katharine

Self-Indulgent:
Chris

"Musical Ebola Virus":
Elliott

Please, just go home already:
Ace, Bucky, and Paris

Still Mental:
Taylor
:lol: Agreed.

This was a lackluster night. Again. I'm afraid these Final 8 are not all that talented. Kellie, while a bizarre mismatch for the song, at least tried to breathe some life into her performance. Everyone else seemed so bored. Queen has a large catalog of great songs, and no one "owned" their song. Oddly enough, Bucky - of all people - was almost entertaining.

I was surprised when Chris wasn't last, because I figured this evening was right up his alley. So, rather than bringing the house down with an unforgettable performance of "We Will Rock You", "Under Pressure", or "Another One Bites the Dust", he disappoints us with a lesser known song. He could have had a defining moment (like when Carrie sang "Crying" or Clay sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water"). He blew it.

Taylor was awful, Elliott was beyond dull, and Ace was indescribably horrid. There've been some pretty craptastic performances throughout the years, but Ace may have established a new low. Lousy vocals, completely off-the-mark interpretation. He must go.

dr_teeth90210

Message to Katharine> Stop being so boring! The girl proves every week that she can sing. She just needs to work on her stage pressence if she wants to outlast Pickler.

Nemo14

Bucky - better than I expected, not quite as irritating as he has been the past couple of weeks.
Ace - totally awful - hopefully the last we'll hear from him
Kellie - much better than I thought she would be, but I wish she hadn't attempted that song
Chris - great vocal, but obscure song
Katharine - still annoys me
Elliott - not bad for a difficult song
Taylor - still entertaining, but not exactly an American Idol. Unfortunately I think his days are numbered too
Paris - She can really sing, but I don't think she proved anything with this performance

MouseMadness

SpongeScott said:
Ya think? This is the weakest season so far for AI.

I didn't watch again. :eek: I honestly can't stand 4 out of the remaining... however many :rolleyes: The girls all annoy the hell out of me, and as for the guys, Taylor and Chris are the only ones I'd really want to take the time to listen to.

So let me know when we're down to those two, k? :lol: (I will tune in for hte last 3 minutes of the show tonight to see Ace get knocked out on his behind LOL)

BRER STITCH

WHATTA TRAIN WRECK THIS WEEK! HAHAHA! :lol:

Poor Freddie Mercury must have been spinning in his grave!

BEST MOMENT OF THE SHOW: Brian May (of QUEEN) telling Ace that there was no way He was going to change a song He wrote to sound the way Ace wanted it to! :sohappy:

=================================
Ace Young - Awful! He treid to change a classic and failed miserably!

Bucky Covington - Still convinced He must be related to one of the Producers of the show. This boy can't sing!

Chris Daughtry - A million great QUEEN songs to choose from and He picks one they have never done live before! Note to Chris: There's a reason!!! I wonder if the band had to actually go back and look up the music to this one??? HAHA! Still, I have to say He was the best performer of the night! Like him or hate him, Chris is far more talented than anyone else remaining in the competition and will have a great music career whether we vote for him or not.

Elliott Yamin - I'm beginning to grow bored with Elliott because of his total lack of stage presence. Good voice, good song, but he seemed to have gone out of his way to make it boring!

Katharine McPhee - Thanks for bringing the show to a complete stop with this lackluster performance. OK vocals, but I have never been a fan and its too late to start now.

Kellie Pickler - whatever...

Taylor Hicks - It's over Taylor. I guess you really are just a novelty. I was an early fan, but following on last week's comments, he has outworn his welcome. Awful performance of a really fun song!

Paris - Finally looked old enough to have that voice! HAHA! Good vocals, but totally uninspired performance of a very powerful song. Her youth showed.

THE VERDICT?

Bottom Three:

ACE
BUCKY
TAYLOR

Bye Bye... Ace! :wave:

BRER STITCH

Here's a great review of last night's show by Michael Slezak over at Entertainment Weekly.com. :sohappy:

I was gonna just post the link, but I took it from a third party site and the link doesn't go directly to the article. So, with aplogies to Michael Slezak and EW.com, here is the article:

====================================

Queen for a Day

Performing Freddie Mercury songs, the ''American Idol'' contestants fail to show they deserve the crown by Michael Slezak

I'm sure Kelly Clarkson herself would wince at my starting this American Idol TV Watch with a reference to her debut hit, ''A Moment Like This,'' but to the eight remaining contestants of season 5, I say ''A Moment Like This'' is exactly what you need. Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting anybody consider recording a tediously saccharine Diane Warren ballad. Rather, each of them needs to deliver a Moment — a performance that is so undeniably marvelous that it transforms a mere reality-TV competitor into someone the public can envision as a future Billboard chart-topper.

Think about it: Every successful Idol alumnus has had one: Fantasia's ''Summertime,'' Carrie's ''Alone,'' Clay's ''Solitaire,'' and so on. Whether or not you're a fan of any of those performers, it'd be hard to argue that those performances didn't prove them to be potentially special artists. And that's why it's interesting to me that in what's been hands down the most closely matched season in Idol history, no single contestant has managed to infiltrate the public consciousness with a single song. Simon hinted at this in his critiques of Chris and Katharine tonight: With only six weeks left to the season, somebody had better make like Jim Morrison and break on through.

In my mind, that task looks more and more likely to fall on the well-proportioned shoulders of Chris Daughtry — but unlike Simon, I'm glad the bald-headed dude didn't try to make it happen tonight. Fair enough, Simon had a valid point that with ''Innuendo,'' Chris didn't exactly choose the strongest selection from the Queen songbook, but I think it was a savvy move. For starters, the expansive range of ''Innuendo'' allowed this season's front-runner to prove unequivocally that he can do a lot more than growl and swing the mike stand (and that he's man enough to rock a little eyeliner, too).
On the other hand, if Chris had followed Simon's advice completely, by perhaps deciding to tackle one of Queen's three most iconic hits (''We Will Rock You,'' ''We Are the Champions,'' or ''Bohemian Rhapsody''), it would've been a no-win situation. Those songs are so closely associated with Freddie Mercury's blistering vocals that the only smart option is to avoid them entirely, not to mention the inevitable comparisons they'd invite.

For proof of that, look no further than Ace Young. His cover of ''We Will Rock You'' was hot — as in hot mess. Granted, Ace's vocals have sounded worse in the past (''Butterflies,'' anyone?), but I don't think I've ever witnessed an Idol contestant so badly at odds with the spirit of the song he's chosen. Simon's withering critique — ''It was 'We Will Rock You Gently' '' — only got it half right. As far as I see it, the only thing Ace rocked was his solid position as this season's seventh-place finisher. I'd bet good money viewers are gonna kick his can right back to anonymity on Wednesday night's results show.

Similarly, I didn't think Kellie Pickler benefited from her choice of ''Bohemian Rhapsody.'' Granted, she did a better job than I'd expected trying to reinvent one of the world's most popular karaoke tracks, but riddle me this, Kellie supporters: In eight live performances this season, has Kellie once delivered the kind of vocal worthy of the Idol crown? This isn't the talent portion of the local Dairy Princess Pageant — it's supposed to be the search for a singing superstar.

That said, I can't argue with the judges for giving this season's blond bubblehead mostly positive remarks. Somehow, despite her consistently annoying, prefabricated shtick — does anyone really believe that Kellie is confounded by the phrase ''on paper'' when seconds later she uses the word ''terminology'' without batting a heavily mascaraed eyelash? — she still manages to charm me.

I can't be quite as forgiving about the judges' uniform praise of Katharine McPhee's ''Who Wants to Live Forever.'' Maybe they all got distracted by the Liv Tyler-in-Lord of the Rings lighting. Or maybe it was Katharine's matronly red-belted blouse (which, granted, wasn't as scary as the hideous floral muumuu she donned during last week's results show — is someone in the wardrobe department doing their darnedest to narrow the attractiveness gap between gorgeous Katharine and the seven remaining contestants?). But what I heard was a shrill, lethargic performance riddled with pitch problems — decidedly the low point of Katharine's Idol run.

Oddly enough, of the three women remaining in the competition, I thought last week's bottom-three dweller Paris Bennett gave the strongest vocal performance. Unfortunately, Simon seemed fixated on the teenage belter's umpteenth image makeover (this week's look: Lil' Kim joins a biker gang), but if he closes his eyes and plays back ''The Show Must Go On'' on his DVR, he'll understand what prompted Queen's own Brian May to remark, ''She's damn good.'' Hell, yeah!

You'll also note May and bandmate Roger Taylor said nothing of consequence about Bucky Covington's vocals. But why gang up on him at this point? I mean, Bucky seems like a congenial guy, and he hit more than a few correct notes in covering ''Fat Bottomed Girls'' in his standard southern-fried-rock mode. But not since season 1's Nikki McKibbin has an Idol wannabe seemed so destined to a life of playing karaoke bars and roadside watering holes. Not that it isn't a respectable way to earn a living, but does anyone believe this guy belongs on the Idol stage? Every time he tosses the mike from hand to hand while performing, all I can think is, ''We lost Gedeon McKinney for this?''

At least we've still got Elliott Yamin and Taylor Hicks in the mix, though. Deep down, I doubt that America is ready to crown either of these peculiar dudes as the season 5 champ, but I'm praying for watchability's sake that both survive till at least the final six. I was happy to see the judges highlight the fact that the DJ formerly known as E-Double took on the night's hardest number, ''Somebody to Love.'' Unlike, say, Kellie, who failed to convince me she'd just ''killed a man,'' Elliott threw himself into the lyrics with gusto, turning his tale of lonely-heartedness into a fevered gospel plea (and on-key, too!). And in contrast with so many other Idol wannabes, it's quite clear that Elliott's humility is 100 percent genuine.

Taylor's ''Crazy Little Thing Called Love,'' meanwhile, wasn't exactly a vocal showcase, but after Chris' seriousness, Ace's earnestness, and Kellie's vapidity, it was refreshing to see a performer who actually appears to be having a blast every time he takes the stage. That said, if Taylor actually wants to win this thing, he's going to have to tap into the deeply soulful vibe he displayed way back in his Las Vegas audition — you know, the one we haven't really seen ever since? But fret not, Soul Patrol, if your man gives the performance of his life next week, he could find himself back at the head of the pack. He just needs to remember this one simple rule: You can't have momentum without first having a moment.

CaptainMichael

dr_teeth90210 said:
Message to Katharine> Stop being so boring! The girl proves every week that she can sing. She just needs to work on her stage pressence if she wants to outlast Pickler.
Katharine needs someone that can pick songs and outfits for her. The voice is there and the looks are there, she just needs to find the rest...and quickly!

Katharine has a better voice than Kellie and in my opinion, is more attractive than Kellie. Where Kellie beats Katharine is overall performance. Kellie usually chooses the right song, the right outfit, and performs (singing, moving around, connecting with audience) the song well. I also think that Kellie has a clearly defined genre whereas Katharine is a question mark. I don't know what a Katharine McPhee album would be like, but I have a real good idea of what a Kellie Pickler album would be.

Uponastar

BRER STITCH said:
Here's a great review of last night's show by Michael Slezak over at Entertainment Weekly.com. :sohappy:

I was gonna just post the link, but I took it from a third party site and the link doesn't go directly to the article. So, with aplogies to Michael Slezak and EW.com, here is the article:

Queen for a Day

Performing Freddie Mercury songs, the ''American Idol'' contestants fail to show they deserve the crown by Michael Slezak

I'm sure Kelly Clarkson herself would wince at my starting this American Idol TV Watch with a reference to her debut hit, ''A Moment Like This,'' but to the eight remaining contestants of season 5, I say ''A Moment Like This'' is exactly what you need. Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting anybody consider recording a tediously saccharine Diane Warren ballad. Rather, each of them needs to deliver a Moment — a performance that is so undeniably marvelous that it transforms a mere reality-TV competitor into someone the public can envision as a future Billboard chart-topper.

Think about it: Every successful Idol alumnus has had one: Fantasia's ''Summertime,'' Carrie's ''Alone,'' Clay's ''Solitaire,'' and so on. Whether or not you're a fan of any of those performers, it'd be hard to argue that those performances didn't prove them to be potentially special artists. And that's why it's interesting to me that in what's been hands down the most closely matched season in Idol history, no single contestant has managed to infiltrate the public consciousness with a single song. Simon hinted at this in his critiques of Chris and Katharine tonight: With only six weeks left to the season, somebody had better make like Jim Morrison and break on through.

In my mind, that task looks more and more likely to fall on the well-proportioned shoulders of Chris Daughtry — but unlike Simon, I'm glad the bald-headed dude didn't try to make it happen tonight. Fair enough, Simon had a valid point that with ''Innuendo,'' Chris didn't exactly choose the strongest selection from the Queen songbook, but I think it was a savvy move. For starters, the expansive range of ''Innuendo'' allowed this season's front-runner to prove unequivocally that he can do a lot more than growl and swing the mike stand (and that he's man enough to rock a little eyeliner, too).
On the other hand, if Chris had followed Simon's advice completely, by perhaps deciding to tackle one of Queen's three most iconic hits (''We Will Rock You,'' ''We Are the Champions,'' or ''Bohemian Rhapsody''), it would've been a no-win situation. Those songs are so closely associated with Freddie Mercury's blistering vocals that the only smart option is to avoid them entirely, not to mention the inevitable comparisons they'd invite.

For proof of that, look no further than Ace Young. His cover of ''We Will Rock You'' was hot — as in hot mess. Granted, Ace's vocals have sounded worse in the past (''Butterflies,'' anyone?), but I don't think I've ever witnessed an Idol contestant so badly at odds with the spirit of the song he's chosen. Simon's withering critique — ''It was 'We Will Rock You Gently' '' — only got it half right. As far as I see it, the only thing Ace rocked was his solid position as this season's seventh-place finisher. I'd bet good money viewers are gonna kick his can right back to anonymity on Wednesday night's results show.

Similarly, I didn't think Kellie Pickler benefited from her choice of ''Bohemian Rhapsody.'' Granted, she did a better job than I'd expected trying to reinvent one of the world's most popular karaoke tracks, but riddle me this, Kellie supporters: In eight live performances this season, has Kellie once delivered the kind of vocal worthy of the Idol crown? This isn't the talent portion of the local Dairy Princess Pageant — it's supposed to be the search for a singing superstar.

That said, I can't argue with the judges for giving this season's blond bubblehead mostly positive remarks. Somehow, despite her consistently annoying, prefabricated shtick — does anyone really believe that Kellie is confounded by the phrase ''on paper'' when seconds later she uses the word ''terminology'' without batting a heavily mascaraed eyelash? — she still manages to charm me.

I can't be quite as forgiving about the judges' uniform praise of Katharine McPhee's ''Who Wants to Live Forever.'' Maybe they all got distracted by the Liv Tyler-in-Lord of the Rings lighting. Or maybe it was Katharine's matronly red-belted blouse (which, granted, wasn't as scary as the hideous floral muumuu she donned during last week's results show — is someone in the wardrobe department doing their darnedest to narrow the attractiveness gap between gorgeous Katharine and the seven remaining contestants?). But what I heard was a shrill, lethargic performance riddled with pitch problems — decidedly the low point of Katharine's Idol run.

Oddly enough, of the three women remaining in the competition, I thought last week's bottom-three dweller Paris Bennett gave the strongest vocal performance. Unfortunately, Simon seemed fixated on the teenage belter's umpteenth image makeover (this week's look: Lil' Kim joins a biker gang), but if he closes his eyes and plays back ''The Show Must Go On'' on his DVR, he'll understand what prompted Queen's own Brian May to remark, ''She's damn good.'' Hell, yeah!

You'll also note May and bandmate Roger Taylor said nothing of consequence about Bucky Covington's vocals. But why gang up on him at this point? I mean, Bucky seems like a congenial guy, and he hit more than a few correct notes in covering ''Fat Bottomed Girls'' in his standard southern-fried-rock mode. But not since season 1's Nikki McKibbin has an Idol wannabe seemed so destined to a life of playing karaoke bars and roadside watering holes. Not that it isn't a respectable way to earn a living, but does anyone believe this guy belongs on the Idol stage? Every time he tosses the mike from hand to hand while performing, all I can think is, ''We lost Gedeon McKinney for this?''

At least we've still got Elliott Yamin and Taylor Hicks in the mix, though. Deep down, I doubt that America is ready to crown either of these peculiar dudes as the season 5 champ, but I'm praying for watchability's sake that both survive till at least the final six. I was happy to see the judges highlight the fact that the DJ formerly known as E-Double took on the night's hardest number, ''Somebody to Love.'' Unlike, say, Kellie, who failed to convince me she'd just ''killed a man,'' Elliott threw himself into the lyrics with gusto, turning his tale of lonely-heartedness into a fevered gospel plea (and on-key, too!). And in contrast with so many other Idol wannabes, it's quite clear that Elliott's humility is 100 percent genuine.

Taylor's ''Crazy Little Thing Called Love,'' meanwhile, wasn't exactly a vocal showcase, but after Chris' seriousness, Ace's earnestness, and Kellie's vapidity, it was refreshing to see a performer who actually appears to be having a blast every time he takes the stage. That said, if Taylor actually wants to win this thing, he's going to have to tap into the deeply soulful vibe he displayed way back in his Las Vegas audition — you know, the one we haven't really seen ever since? But fret not, Soul Patrol, if your man gives the performance of his life next week, he could find himself back at the head of the pack. He just needs to remember this one simple rule: You can't have momentum without first having a moment.

Wow I could have written this! :lol:
I totally agree with everything!
Unless somebody does something really big soon, this season will be considered a flop in my book!

dr_teeth90210

Anyone see Katharine dancing during the warmup footage?:eek: Now that's the performance that I wanted to see.

turns on the radio....
"Shake ya @$#, but watch yourself
Shake ya @$*, show me what you workin with"

dxwwf3

How do you search for it: American Idol Season 5 and then the date? I couldn't find them there and that was the first place I looked.

Lil'mermaid

STR8FAN2005 said:
I am still not understanding the hatred for Kellie on here and the undeserved praise for Elliott.

Stars tonight:
Kellie, Katharine

Self-Indulgent:
Chris

"Musical Ebola Virus":
Elliott

Please, just go home already:
Ace, Bucky, and Paris

Still Mental:
Taylor

Wow, I totally disagree. Like, I dont even agree with one point here.

CaptainMichael

dr_teeth90210 said:
Anyone see Katharine dancing during the warmup footage?:eek: Now that's the performance that I wanted to see.

turns on the radio....
"Shake ya @$#, but watch yourself
Shake ya @$*, show me what you workin with"
Exactly, I kinda wish she didn't change the song last night.

Lil'mermaid

SpongeScott said:
:lol: you go, Katie.

Thanks!

I know that I'm not one to be judging how people sing, seeing as how I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket if you sealed it in a plastic bag, but I do listen to a ton of music, and I know what I like and what I think sounds good. As far as I'm concerned, I don't like Kellie or Katherine at all, I hate the voices and the personalities.

Kellie makes me want to slap her upside her overly bleached head.
Katherine needs to stop relying on the fact that shes pretty.
Elliott has a great voice that almost makes up for the whole, lack of personality issue.
Ace is nice to look at but his voice is nice for awhile and then it makes me want to plug my ears.
I think Bucky stopped speaking English a few weeks back, but that could just be me and my inability to translate what hes saying through that thick accent of his. Other than that, he seems to sing fine, just not my style.
Paris has a good voice, not the best, but good none the less. I like her, but I don't think she'll win it all.
Taylor is a lot of fun to watch and listen to. I really like his voice alot and the dancing is...interesting.
I really, really like Chris alot, hes the first on the show to really sing music that I like, and I would totally shell out the 15 bucks for his CD when (if) it comes out. I like alt rock alot, and I like the fact that hes stayed fairly steady this whole time.

*steps off box and waits for the criticisms*

DDuckFan130

Lil'mermaid said:
Thanks!

I know that I'm not one to be judging how people sing, seeing as how I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket if you sealed it in a plastic bag, but I do listen to a ton of music, and I know what I like and what I think sounds good. As far as I'm concerned, I don't like Kellie or Katherine at all, I hate the voices and the personalities.

Kellie makes me want to slap her upside her overly bleached head.
Katherine needs to stop relying on the fact that shes pretty.
Elliott has a great voice that almost makes up for the whole, lack of personality issue.
Ace is nice to look at but his voice is nice for awhile and then it makes me want to plug my ears.
I think Bucky stopped speaking English a few weeks back, but that could just be me and my inability to translate what hes saying through that thick accent of his. Other than that, he seems to sing fine, just not my style.
Paris has a good voice, not the best, but good none the less. I like her, but I don't think she'll win it all.
Taylor is a lot of fun to watch and listen to. I really like his voice alot and the dancing is...interesting.
I really, really like Chris alot, hes the first on the show to really sing music that I like, and I would totally shell out the 15 bucks for his CD when (if) it comes out. I like alt rock alot, and I like the fact that hes stayed fairly steady this whole time.

:sohappy:

You rock Katie :D

Uponastar

Lil'mermaid said:
Thanks!

Kellie makes me want to slap her upside her overly bleached head. Katherine needs to stop relying on the fact that shes pretty.

I agree with you, Katie, on just about every count!
Elliot's been a personal favorite of mine, but I don't think he'll win.

Going home tonight: Hopefully Ace
Best last night: I'm going with Paris
To win the whole thing: Chris

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom