American Idol Experience To Close

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
While there are limited opportunities for Equity positions at Walt Disney World, there are many jobs for cast members. While it would likely be a lower paying position, and many Equity members may not be interested, are the performers offered a CM job at Walt Disney World when their performance role ends (as nearly all such roles eventually will)?

Once you join actors equity, you can only accept equity roles, unless you leave the union.

So the answer to your question is no.

CDavid

Once you join actors equity, you can only accept equity roles, unless you leave the union.

So the answer to your question is no.

So, those in Equity are prohibited from accepting a cashier position at World of Disney or fry cook at Columbia Harbour House? Unbelievable. If they cannot perform "odd jobs" between acting roles, how do performers ever survive?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
So, those in Equity are prohibited from accepting a cashier position at World of Disney or fry cook at Columbia Harbour House? Unbelievable. If they cannot perform "odd jobs" between acting roles, how do performers ever survive?

No, sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant accept a non-equity performing role (face character, Jedi master, etc.). You can only accept union performing gigs when you're in equity. Performers are free to take employment outside of the performing arts as often as they wish. The current Dolly Drew/ Flora understudy at Hoop is a paralegal by day, for example.

The problem with accepting other jobs in the company is availability. Performers are always on the hunt for the next gig, and sometimes auditions only get scheduled the day before (and often, hours before). Disney is not exactly flexible when it comes to scheduling. The reason so many out of work actors take jobs at restaurants and coffee shops is because the schedules are flexible.

Well, I am currently getting into touch with the world again sitting at the airport waiting to go home... and all I have to say is that I had a lot of fun Ice Skating and building Snow Man's! Also, I did the sing along 3 times and it was great every time! That is all I wanted to share!

jensenrick

Do we know by which attraction this place will be replaced?

emptyness.
Probably nothing. Before the atrocity opened, the building stood vacant for many years. So, going back to vacant.... and it's an improvement :).

Oh, I was agreeing with you- until you said vacant was an improvement. A vacant building is never an improvement. I'd rather have an eyesore than a vacancy anyday.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant accept a non-equity performing role (face character, Jedi master, etc.). You can only accept union performing gigs when you're in equity. Performers are free to take employment outside of the performing arts as often as they wish. The current Dolly Drew/ Flora understudy at Hoop is a paralegal by day, for example.

The problem with accepting other jobs in the company is availability. Performers are always on the hunt for the next gig, and sometimes auditions only get scheduled the day before (and often, hours before). Disney is not exactly flexible when it comes to scheduling. The reason so many out of work actors take jobs at restaurants and coffee shops is because the schedules are flexible.
This makes sense. Bar tending is a good option. You usually tend to be more in demand at night and you can make decent tips only working a few days a week if you get into the right place.

danv3

Does the AIE theater seat more guests than the Premier theater? If so, that might be a reason to move Frozen there for the next 6+ months before the anticipated SW work starts.

TP2000

At the end of the day, had all that money been spent on a D-ticket dark ride to balance out TSMM, I think the vast majority of guests would have been happier.

Agreed.

I'm not sure which part is sadder; that TDO didn't spend this money on a desperately needed family dark ride for DHS, or that some folks going to this thing in the last five years actually thought they were auditioning for American Idol. :eek:

All that said, maybe it would be simpler if we just compiled a list of attractions in DHS that will be operating after Labor Day.

Matt_Black

Agreed.

I'm not sure which part is sadder; that TDO didn't spend this money on a desperately needed family dark ride for DHS, or that some folks going to this thing in the last five years actually thought they were auditioning for American Idol. :eek:.

I think a good many guests that performed knew full well they'd never make it to an AI audition for real.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The queue for Frozen wraps in, out, and around the Streets of America. They'll need that space for the Christmas Lights. Besides, why else would they close AIE early if not to make room for a higher-capacity for an in-demand show?

This makes a lot of sense and is probably the main reason. Frozen was originally announced as a summer, limited time thing but it's popular enough that they will likely keep it around indefinitely.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This makes a lot of sense and is probably the main reason. Frozen was originally announced as a summer, limited time thing but it's popular enough that they will likely keep it around indefinitely.
My source says they're already producing Frozen Winter Fun advertisments and merch. My only question is what happened to Fall?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom