Am I the only one that dislikes BTM?

rsoxguy

While I am willing to concede that BTMRR is a very tame roller coaster, I think that the theme is fantastic, and the ride is a lot of fun.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I always wish it was 3 times LONGER!!! Once they let us stay in and go again and it was awesome...it is my very favorite ride ever ever ever....tame? Maybe but perfect for me....I can't help but laugh every time I ride...and there are so many little details to notice that even after riding it over 50 times someone in my family still discovers something new...back seat at night during fireworks is my dream come true!!!:king:
Love the music, the antique mining equipment, the hidden mickeys, the signage, falling rocks, the animatronic animals, the dino, the cute train names, cousin Elrod in the bathtub, the nightlife seem in the town at night, the guy bailing water, and yes even the bats....I do wish the noise level was a bit quieter on the initial lift but have no problem plugging own ears during that brief period....everyone has their own thing, but I disagree with OP on basis of inadequate theming....I can honestly say I think of this masterpiece when I go to non disney parks and when I compare? There IS no comparison...I wistfully wish I was back at Disney with the visual theming....sigh....:animwink:

Master Gracey 5

The very idea of this thread is blasphemy! BTM is and always has been one of my favorite rides in WDW.

I will concede that the roller coaster itself is low on thrills, but Disney coasters aren't about thrills, but theme and you can't beat the original. The emphasis on theme is why so many people complain about Everest in B mode.

Grumpy_Midget

Needs dwarfs

Most good Disney rides have dwarfs. Snow White's Scary Adventure, It's a Small World, the Movies ride at Hollywood Studios, etc. Everyone knows dwarfs make EXCELLENT miners and with a mining theme Disney should have put some Dwarfs in the ride.

rodserling27

Most good Disney rides have dwarfs. Snow White's Scary Adventure, It's a Small World, the Movies ride at Hollywood Studios, etc. Everyone knows dwarfs make EXCELLENT miners and with a mining theme Disney should have put some Dwarfs in the ride.
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
This made my day!

OklaHoops

Btm

WTH!:( Big Thuder is an All-American ride celebrating the great West. My family looks forward to the ride for a small thrill and noticing the themeing of BTM.

You can still have fun without a massive roller coaster. :cool:

SeaBreeze

The posters who said BTMRR is great because of its mass appeal hit the nail on the head. It's a ton of fun for me without making me too dizzy (although it does make me tipsy). EE is too much for me but BTMRR satisfies the thrill factor for me. Love the theming too but to each his/her own. I always end up with some tweens/teens that think it's "lame" but MK is not the place to expect a crazy coaster :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The only mine train I've ridden that I've actually liked more than BTMRR is the "Thunderation" mine train ride at Silver Dollar City. It has some themeing (not as good at Disney of course), but a hell of a thrilling layout and uses the natural setting with the hills and trees. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6kRviSG2o

That being said, I still love BTMRR. Its unquestionably one of the best themed coasters ever. And it was my first roller coaster.

I don't like it more than BTMRR, but it is a bada$$ ride. Actually, Silver Dollar City is one of those gems that much of the country has never discovered. It's a fantastic park. Their use of trees, natural settings, variety of rides and shows, coupled with the opportunity to explore a cave is really a nice combo. Plus, they have varied and interesting concessions and lots o' nice picnic tables and whatnot.

Ziffell

If I recall correctly there are TWO Dahlonega Mine trains at SFoG. One was truly a kiddie ride - the other a full fledged coaster. The youtube was of the full deal.

As far as it being tame...I would say not in the least as it jerks you around quite well and I always came out quite shaken.

I'm not aware of there being two coasters at the same park with the same name, but the one that I posted from YouTube is the one that I've ridden. Intentional or not, it is "kiddie coaster" caliber. Not exciting or thrilling at all, and definitely not themed.

Ziffell

The one at Georgia is very suprisingly well done- I believe Unkadug is reffering to Georgia's too. I'd ride it before you judge me for liking it. And If that track is plain then so is BTMRR's. :lol:

I, too am referring to the one in Georgia. And yes I have ridden it (I mentioned earlier in my initial response to one of your posts that I had ridden it). No one is "judging" you for liking it. Not everyone has the same taste in rides, or the same standards when referring to something as being "well themed". Having said that, it's surprising that anyone would refer to that specific coaster as "exciting" or "well themed" because it is a very tame ride (again, it's akin to a kiddie coaster) and it has no theming to speak of.

Wilt Dasney

It's not one of my favorites, but I'd never say I dislike it.

I think I would prefer a slower ride that would allow you to really take in the theming to the roller coaster setup...but it's still good fun. :D

ssidiouss@mac.c

I really find that ride terrible. Unlike their other themes, I just don't like the themeing of that ride, its never stuck with me.

Am I the only one? In my family I am, can't stand that ride, its the only one out of WDW/DLR that I truly don't enjoy.

Have you tried it at night? BTM during the day is a bore to me.. but at night it has a totally different feel.

The que, the load area, and the ride itself just feels way cooler at night. And while the back of the ride may give a better coaster feel.. try for the very front. In the front you can watch the engine tossing left and right.. and it feels more like a train out of control to me doing it that way.. especially at night.

Theres a few rides like this that I skip during the day and only do at night now because they either seem boring during the day or just better at night:

1) Big Thunder
2) Haunted Mansion
3) Maelstrom
4) Everest
5) Kilmanjo Rapids

_Scar

I, too am referring to the one in Georgia. And yes I have ridden it (I mentioned earlier in my initial response to one of your posts that I had ridden it). No one is "judging" you for liking it. Not everyone has the same taste in rides, or the same standards when referring to something as being "well themed". Having said that, it's surprising that anyone would refer to that specific coaster as "exciting" or "well themed" because it is a very tame ride (again, it's akin to a kiddie coaster) and it has no theming to speak of.

BTMR is a kiddie coaster too, and BTMRR's theme has never sparked an interest in me since you never really get a good glimpse of it and if I can't ride the ride more than once every few hours because of :hurl:

Some may disagree, but I think BTMRR is almost too intricate. And I mean it in the way that it's so detailed that it's frustrating you can never get the full picture.

Ziffell

Some may disagree, but I think BTMRR is almost too intricate. And I mean it in the way that it's so detailed that it's frustrating you can never get the full picture.

If you consider the mine train at SFoG to be well themed, then I can certainly see how you would consider BTMR to be too much to process. Its kind of like how people who enjoy somewhat bland food can't stand spicy food because it's just too much. Again, a matter of personal taste.

I read somewhere once that Walt Disney liked for the attractions to be so detailed that people wouldn't be able to take it all in on just one ride. The idea was that it would keep the attraction interesting because people would constantly be discovering new details that they hadn't noticed on prior rides. BTMR is a great example of this practice.

Dj Corona

First off, I have to agree with ssidiouss@mac.c, riding it at night is a whole different expierience, (which could be said for most coasters at night, as well, anywhere you go) The themeing isn't bad, although I do believe being that close to Splash Mountain overshadows the ride. Unfortunately, 3/4 of my family is easily motion sickness, and most times BTM is down when we're there, as is.....Even sometimes during EMH it has a line, and since I'm the only one with a stomach to ride it, I take one for the team, and re-ride something everyone can agree one.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm not aware of there being two coasters at the same park with the same name, but the one that I posted from YouTube is the one that I've ridden. Intentional or not, it is "kiddie coaster" caliber. Not exciting or thrilling at all, and definitely not themed.

They were next to each other and very similarly themed (or not...depending on what point you're trying to make), not sure if they were called the same thing or not but basically one was for the kiddies and one wasn't.

Here we go...from http://www.coastergallery.com/2002T/SFOG.html :
Mini-Mine Train (briefly called the Yahoola Hooler) ran here from the opening of the park in 1967 until 1993. It was built by Arrow.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom