Am I the only one that dislikes BTM?

Laura

Premium Member
I agree wit the OP. I have never really cared for BTM. There is really not much to the ride. I feel like it is something that you could find at your local Six Flags.
Sometimes we skip the ride all together.

Since when does Six Flags create ANYTHING on that level? Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

Rides don't have to be "thrilling" to be breathtaking. Thunder Mt. is one of the most incredible, detailed rides ever created. Having been to Utah and spent hours in the National Parks in that state, I'm blown away by how realistic the "mountain" is. The theming is top notch.

The only other park in this country that could pull anything off even close to that would be Universal. Six Flags? Um...no.

Laura

Premium Member
I really find that ride terrible. Unlike their other themes, I just don't like the themeing of that ride, its never stuck with me.

You obviously have never been to Utah, one of the most jaw-dropping places in this country when it comes to natural beauty. Anyone who has visited a place that like would not find the theme of Thunder Mt. "terrible".

Bryce%20Canyon%20National%20Park%2021.JPG

cdunbar

You obviously have never been to Utah, one of the most jaw-dropping places in this country when it comes to natural beauty. Anyone who has visited a place that like would not find the theme of Thunder Mt. "terrible".

You would know this as DL is your home park now, but aren't DL BTM & WDW BTM modeled after two seperate places, I know DL is after Utah but I want to say Florida's is different.

Laura

Premium Member
You would know this as DL is your home park now, but aren't DL BTM & WDW BTM modeled after two seperate places, I know DL is after Utah but I want to say Florida's is different.

DL is based on Bryce Canyon in Utah, MK is based on Monument Valley in Utah and Arizona.

_Scar

I really hate the loud, deafening screech it makes on the first lift hill.

Basically everything about the first lift hill I strongly dislike.

wolf359

Thunder Mountain is one of my absolute favorites, but I find where you sit and what time of day you ride to have significant impact on the experience.

The ride is much more wild and out of control-feeling when you sit in the back seat, so that's the only place I like to ride. I also prefer riding at night. You miss some of the smaller details but I think the overall thrill-ride aspect is increased. Catching a ride during the fireworks adds an extra bit of fun to the ride, and it's especially cool if you manage to crest the last hill when the riverboat is directly in front of you all lit up for night trips. It's a very cool and unexpected sight.

smk

I love BTM! It is my favorite ride, of all the rides in WDW. I would consider a trip to WDW without riding it a failed trip. :shrug:

rkelly42

I agree wit the OP. I have never really cared for BTM. There is really not much to the ride. I feel like it is something that you could find at your local Six Flags.
I would like to see Six Flags try to theme a ride like Disney does. BTMRR is themed great, it might not be the most exciting coaster but it is not always about the ride it is also about the atmosphere at least to me. I have never seen a Six Flags ride themed anywhere near what BTMRR is.

Ziffell

I absolutely love BTMM and it has always been one of my top ten Disney attractions. Having said that, I can't imagine anyone would reasonably agree that the Disney version comes close to the beauty and magnitude of the real thing. So I'm not sure you've made a strong point here in using that as your argument.

Ziffell

You are right that the layout of BTMM is not all that different from something you'd find at a Six Flags. What sets BTMM apart is the incredible theming. A "runaway mine train" is actually one of the classifications of a specific coaster type and several Six Flags parks actually do have them. But none are themed anywhere near as well as BTMM.

The Empress Lilly

I really find that ride terrible. Unlike their other themes, I just don't like the themeing of that ride, its never stuck with me.

Am I the only one? In my family I am, can't stand that ride, its the only one out of WDW/DLR that I truly don't enjoy.
I love the theming, the placemaking.

Much as I enjoy it, I do wish the ride were less tame. It barely qualifies as a coaster.

_Scar

Here's a shot of the mine train coaster at Six Flags over Georgia. Yeah, this is EXACTLY like BTMM!! :hammer:

I have rode this before and found it more fun and thrilling than BTMR and there actually is some themeing that I remember. It was a fun roller coaster. Sorry BTMR fans.

Ziffell

I have rode this before and found it more fun and thrilling than BTMR and there actually is some themeing that I remember. It was a fun roller coaster. Sorry BTMR fans.

I've ridden it too. If you found it "more fun and thrilling than BTMR" than I dont' think this is the ride you're thinking of. It's pretty tame, more like a kiddie coaster. Also, the only "theming" is the occasional railroad tie, a barn-like load station, and a point in the ride where you go through a tunnel. I wouldn't exactly say it gives BTMR a run for it's money (either on theming OR on excitment).

Here is the mine train coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Gosh, it's just uncanny how these Six Flags mine train coasters are so IDENTICAL to BTMR! :hammer:

p6248.jpg

imagineer boy

The only mine train I've ridden that I've actually liked more than BTMRR is the "Thunderation" mine train ride at Silver Dollar City. It has some themeing (not as good at Disney of course), but a hell of a thrilling layout and uses the natural setting with the hills and trees. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6kRviSG2o

That being said, I still love BTMRR. Its unquestionably one of the best themed coasters ever. And it was my first roller coaster.

Laura

Premium Member
I absolutely love BTMM and it has always been one of my top ten Disney attractions. Having said that, I can't imagine anyone would reasonably agree that the Disney version comes close to the beauty and magnitude of the real thing. So I'm not sure you've made a strong point here in using that as your argument.

The OP said that Utah's landscape was a terrible choice in theme. I was arguing that point by saying that Utah's landscape is phenomenal and an excellent choice of theme. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom