Alligators captured at Disney doubles

John park hopper

I'm sure it's safe to walk at night I have never seen any gators walking around the resorts However----------
With Christams coming be aware of the influx of Santa imposters especially when they grow their beards, they could be anywhere in Disney ---------- My Santa what big teeth you have

Attachments

• rambo-the-gator.jpeg
    rambo-the-gator.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

laurajo521

They had no swimming signs - that in and of itself should be enough to keep people away from and out of the water. But apparently, because there was no reason listed...

Seriously. I'm of the mindset that if they tell me to not swim, that means stay away from the water. It's not up to me to decide that I need to be given a reason or I won't obey signage.

When this happened, my brother — who has lived in Florida for 14 years— said: “Everyone knows ‘No Swimming’ in Florida means ‘Warning: Gators and cottonmouths.’”

I guess not.

John park hopper

Learned quickly about gators in FL had not been in FL long and a friend came down from NY with his black Lab. Went to the EverGlades Park and the Lab was swimming in one of the ponds, park ranger came by and said get your dog out as there are gators. Sure enough not 30s after we got Daisy (Lab) out a big gator swam by just where Daisy had been swimming. My view consider no waterway free of gators in FL

21stamps

Both can exist at once.

People do know that alligators are in freshwater.
The Same people wade, walk, or swim in freshwater.

Having knowledge doesn’t mean that everyone stays away from water.

Matty H

Yes, they should. I'm not saying they need to spend hours doing meticulous research but it doesn't take much effort to educate yourself about the dangers lurking in the swampy waters

While I agree in general, who would expect DISNEY to have not made the environment safe? I've been going to WDW for 30+ years, and have never seen one gator there. I've heard tons of stories of people swimming in the water there, and those resorts have actual BEACHES. I completely always thought that Disney was a closed environment that kept the alligators out.

note2001

I completely always thought that Disney was a closed environment that kept the alligators out.

I still believe that Disney is the safest environment for a family vacation. We used to swim in Bay Lake all the time, and the only thing that hinted that there could be danger in the water was the swimming area floats held up netting under the water to separate the swimmers from the wildlife. We knew though. All it takes is a simple look at the maps to see that Disney property is the northern most area of the swamps, and we've all seen plenty of National Geographic specials on Alligators to know where they live and how well they can hide/spring at prey. quite impressive really. No research needed.

It's near impossible for Disney to keep indigenous species off the Disney property, especially considering how large it is. Alligators are a great example: they can slip through fences, channels and waterway management systems with ease. Storms cause water areas to overflow and water, one of the most perfect tools of destruction easily rips down barriers put in its way. A small gator is independent and grows quickly. They're hard to detect even by expert trackers, and the most successful critters can stay hidden for ages.

AEfx

It's near impossible for Disney to keep indigenous species off the Disney property, especially considering how large it is.

That just goes to the original problem - that Disney built the equivalent of a country club for them to live by flooding the swamp to create the SSL. Let's not forget, that entire thing is artificially created. It's also an ecological disaster area.

You can bet that the long-term planning for the resort is trying to figure out just what the hell to do with it.

21stamps

While I agree in general, who would expect DISNEY to have not made the environment safe? I've been going to WDW for 30+ years, and have never seen one gator there. I've heard tons of stories of people swimming in the water there, and those resorts have actual BEACHES. I completely always thought that Disney was a closed environment that kept the alligators out.

Really, a closed environment? Just Disney, or any resort property that you visit?

21stamps

That just goes to the original problem - that Disney built the equivalent of a country club for them to live by flooding the swamp to create the SSL. Let's not forget, that entire thing is artificially created. It's also an ecological disaster area.

You can bet that the long-term planning for the resort is trying to figure out just what the hell to do with it.

You just described the majority of Florida Development.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm sure it's safe to walk at night I have never seen any gators walking around the resorts However----------
With Christams coming be aware of the influx of Santa imposters, they could be anywhere in Disney ---------- My Santa what big teeth you have

Easy to tell he's an imposter...not wearing a white beard.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I've seen a couple of small gators in the Lagoon from the monorail. Lounging in the reeds, probably waiting for guests who are fishing nearby to snatch their bait.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I still believe that Disney is the safest environment for a family vacation. We used to swim in Bay Lake all the time, and the only thing that hinted that there could be danger in the water was the swimming area floats held up netting under the water to separate the swimmers from the wildlife. We knew though. All it takes is a simple look at the maps to see that Disney property is the northern most area of the swamps, and we've all seen plenty of National Geographic specials on Alligators to know where they live and how well they can hide/spring at prey. quite impressive really. No research needed.

It's near impossible for Disney to keep indigenous species off the Disney property, especially considering how large it is. Alligators are a great example: they can slip through fences, channels and waterway management systems with ease. Storms cause water areas to overflow and water, one of the most perfect tools of destruction easily rips down barriers put in its way. A small gator is independent and grows quickly. They're hard to detect even by expert trackers, and the most successful critters can stay hidden for ages.

Not only can they slip through fences, they can climb over short ones...and ring your front doorbell..

My daughter and I went kayak fishing through Florida one spring break. We saw signs warning of gators but never saw a gator. The fishing was great and we were always alone on the lakes. Now I think I know why! We had a great trip and luckily had no incidents.

Minnesota disney fan

I think if you travel anywhere outside your country (or inside for that matter) you should research whats around where your headed ... local customs, ext. I feel its ignorant to do otherwise. Case in point I had to go to Dubai recently and being from the US, I wanted to know what the local customs were ... weather, what kinds of critters I could run into ext. To me ... its just plain common sense.

Yes, but Disney world is not Dubai (which has it's own dangers).
Disney is a family oriented vacation destination where you are encouraged to be in the "bubble" while there. Heck I do it and I'm older:)
Most families don't go to WDW thinking about gators, they are thinking about the rides, etc.
Case in point: My son let his 2 sons wander down to the water to look in POR. He said they were only down there for a minute, but he felt absolutely sick when I told him about the gator problems WDW had. Honestly, I thought he was going to be sick. He said that he Never thought that there was anything that dangerous at WDW; that it was a safe place for families. Anyone while on vacation can get caught up in the Bubble, as others have stated that they even swam in the lake. So, it would be nice if everyone checked it out, but I bet 95% don't even think of wildlife dangers while at Disney. They just don't.

21stamps

I don’t think that Disney created this strange “bubble” perception., I think people did that all on their own. I’m not quite sure when that phenomenon started, honestly never even realized it until I entered a Disney Forum, less than 2 years ago.

Jedi Stitch

Again, just a measure of responsibility in guests is needed. I knew they were gaters in Florida and that is why I told my 11 yr od at the time, no on letting her dip her feet in the water. Yes they have manicured beaches and had plenty of signs from my visit in Jan. 2016 to say stay out of the water. I find it interesting that this article on the limit of alligaters that WDW can catch was not published during the heat of the moment from the June 2016 tragity. Now what does everyone get fences, to protect the fools. I can't expect everyone to know every thing, but to follow the simple signs and rules that were posted worked for decades, to keep guests safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom