Alligators captured at Disney doubles

21stamps

Again, just a measure of responsibility in guests is needed. I knew they were gaters in Florida and that is why I told my 11 yr od at the time, no on letting her dip her feet in the water. Yes they have manicured beaches and had plenty of signs from my visit in Jan. 2016 to say stay out of the water. I find it interesting that this article on the limit of alligaters that WDW can catch was not published during the heat of the moment from the June 2016 tragity. Now what does everyone get fences, to protect the fools. I can't expect everyone to know every thing, but to follow the simple signs and rules that were posted worked for decades, to keep guests safe.

I let my 5 year old wade in seven seas lagoon.
I knew that we were in Florida, not a plexiglass bubble, and that alligators could be in there.
I knew that, but I didn’t keep him out..because most of us don’t always assume that a horrific rare event it going to happen to us or our children.

That’s why we all go in oceans..national, state, or local parks..rivers..automobiles..boats..and so on and so on.

The need to place blame on parents, or Disney, is such a strange thing.. not as strange as thinking that Disney is located in an actual magical bubble.. but it’s just all so strange. I think we should look at ourselves and why we feel such a strong need to place blame.. it’s usually just out of fear, because horrible things can happen at any time.. we just hopefully don’t go thru life assuming that they will. :)

Jedi Stitch

Most plans built on needing all guests to behave with responsibility are doomed to eventually fail.
I agree a certain amount of irresponsibility is granted on a vacation, but then so do following the rules. It is an oxymoron to say, but the truth rarely makes sense. Karma was very devastating to that family that day. How many times have you watched kids play on the chains in the que, and then watching them be carried out by the parents with what looks like a very expensive orthodontics bill to be paid. Mrs Carol Hall my 7th grade English teacher said it the best "You don't have to do anything except die. You have to accept the consequences of your choices if they are wrong." As I said a measure of responsibility of the guests are required, just enough to have happy memories anyway.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I knew that we were in Florida, not a plexiglass bubble, and that alligators could be in there.
I knew that, but I didn’t keep him out..because most of us don’t always assume that a horrific rare event it going to happen to us or our children.

That’s why we all go in oceans..national, state, or local parks..rivers..automobiles..boats..and so on and so on.
If the 'gators don't get you, the lightning, snakes, bears or mosquitoes will.

Bender123

My daughter and I went kayak fishing through Florida one spring break. We saw signs warning of gators but never saw a gator. The fishing was great and we were always alone on the lakes. Now I think I know why! We had a great trip and luckily had no incidents.

I have seen many gators at Disney...the golf course are litered with them and its pretty normal to see them in the channels between Springs and POR.

The problem, as with many wilderness areas, is that the area WDW is built on was almost all swamp until recently. Most wildlife tends to avoid populated areas, but with more urbanization around WDW, it drives gators to the wilderness on property. Add in the mess that guests love to feed the animals and you have animals learning to come out from the remote areas of the property to the populated areas, because of the easy feeding.

21stamps

If the 'gators don't get you, the lightning, snakes, bears or mosquitoes will.

We kayak and camp, swimming in lakes or rivers.. I won’t lie and say that I’ve never seen a water snake and worried that it may be venomous. I just hope that neither myself or my child even lands on one when jumping off the rope.lol. Ugh. Water snakes freak me out.

I have seen many gators at Disney...the golf course are litered with them and its pretty normal to see them in the channels between Springs and POR.

The problem, as with many wilderness areas, is that the area WDW is built on was almost all swamp until recently. Most wildlife tends to avoid populated areas, but with more urbanization around WDW, it drives gators to the wilderness on property. Add in the mess that guests love to feed the animals and you have animals learning to come out from the remote areas of the property to the populated areas, because of the easy feeding.

This is Florida. There are entire cities built on top of the Everglades.

Jedi Stitch

The need to place blame on parents, or Disney, is such a strange thing.. not as strange as thinking that Disney is located in an actual magical bubble.. but it’s just all so strange. I think we should look at ourselves and why we feel such a strong need to place blame.. it’s usually just out of fear, because horrible things can happen at any time.. we just hopefully don’t go thru life assuming that they will. :)
Yep, and they have signs at those parks and places that probably tell you of the dangers to avoid. I'll bet at the ocean beaches they tell of Rip Currents. But instead of just saying they happen, now the sign show what to look for and how is the best way to survive it. I bet you and your family practice a certain amount of responsibility. Your 5 yr old could have been a tragedy then, too. All I am just saying is that a guest need to practice a measure of responsibility, that is all. I'm not saying being a stiff, but don't leave your brain at the gate either.
As far as the article goes, I have to say I find it interesting. I have to wonder how far back the gater permitting went. Was there a day in the beginning that WDW was just let loose on the gater population, or had the state always set a limit.

Bender123

This is Florida. There are entire cities built on top of the Everglades.

Well...yes...gators find their way into pools all the time. You need to remember that they are a recovering species, they have a very limited "wild" area compared to their historic lands ad they now have people making survival easy. Seven Seas and Bay Lake are basically a boon food source that has all the trappings of wilderness. They will naturally go to where living is easy and comfortable, which is the middle of an area they used to avoid.

21stamps

Well...yes...gators find their way into pools all the time. You need to remember that they are a recovering species, they have a very limited "wild" area compared to their historic lands ad they now have people making survival easy. Seven Seas and Bay Lake are basically a boon food source that has all the trappings of wilderness. They will naturally go to where living is easy and comfortable, which is the middle of an area they used to avoid.

That is all part of visiting or living in Florida. It’s why people knowingly buy homes on lakes with swamplands directly to their west,east, or south. They still kayak in said lakes, they still walk on the edge or wade. My only point is that people don’t live in fear of alligators.. even when they know.

It’s why we swim in ocean waters where we know there are sharks,barracuda, etc..
I’m a little uncomfortable with this convo because I’ll be snorkeling with a child on a few reefs in a week and a half..but I’m not going to live in fear, I won’t raise a child to be fearful of nature.. and I don’t want a world that separates us from any danger, especially when certain attacks from “dangers” are so few and far between.

It’s not the responsibility of hotels to teach grown adults about what exists in Florida, or anywhere else. It is their responsibility to remove or warn of any nuisance if they see one, which it appears that Disney does.

Last edited:

21stamps

This is not a Seven Seas Lagoon view/beach that I ever thought I would see-
70F622E6-9FB2-483B-B3D7-E77B3968F251.jpeg

I’m sure the “bubble” people are happy, but it’s sad to me that a rare tragedy can provoke these type of responses.

I understand that many people disagree with me on this.. that’s ok.

Bender123

That is all part of visiting or living in Florida. It’s why people knowingly buy homes on lakes with swamplands directly to their west,east, or south. They still kayak in said lakes, they still walk on the edge or wade. My only point is that people don’t live in fear of alligators.. even when they know.

It’s why we swim in ocean waters where we know there are sharks,barracuda, etc..
I’m a little uncomfortable with this convo because I’ll be snorkeling with a child on a few reefs in a week and a half..but I’m not going to live in fear, I won’t raise a child to be fearful of nature.. and I don’t want a world that separates us from any danger, especially when certain attacks from “dangers” are so few and far between.

It’s not the responsibility of hotels to teach grown adults about what exists in Florida, or anywhere else. It is their responsibility to remove or warn of any nuisance if they see one, which it appears that Disney does.

We are in agreement. My issue is people who think Disney has he ability to remove the threat completely, which is ludicrous. Short of hunting them and causing extinction, there is no way to eliminate them.

21stamps

We are in agreement. My issue is people who think Disney has he ability to remove the threat completely, which is ludicrous. Short of hunting them and causing extinction, there is no way to eliminate them.

My fault.. I misinterpreted you as one of the “Disney should sterilize their property, kill all wildlife, so I never have to worry about anything besides choking on a Mikey Bar. Just put stuffed animals for special effects” folks.

Bender123

My fault.. I misinterpreted you as one of the “Disney should sterilize their property, kill all wildlife, so I never have to worry about anything besides choking on a Mikey Bar. Just put stuffed animals for special effects” folks.

Oh for sure. I am sure the population has gone up, but I am also sure the population moved from the remote areas of the property to the guest areas. The increase in removals aren't likely a "stepped up" effort, its likely just more of them are in patrolled areas.

21stamps

Oh for sure. I am sure the population has gone up, but I am also sure the population moved from the remote areas of the property to the guest areas. The increase in removals aren't likely a "stepped up" effort, its likely just more of them are in patrolled areas.

Definitely. Florida has allowed them to multiply and multiply..and multiply. I’m all for expanding the hunting and stepping up removals. I don’t want alligators eradicated from the earth, but they’re a long way from extinction now.
Not trying to sound heartless, and I do have less of a problem with alligators than I do with invasive species (with the exception of iguanas).. it’s just that Florida has allowed the population to grow, while expanding human dwellings at the same time. It’s natural that more trappings are a result.

nbdysreal

Last week, a captain of one of the friendship boats told a family in front of us that "alligators aren't in the manmade waterways at Disneyworld." I guess he forgot about the tragedy in the seven seas lagoon...or any of the other removals. We were utterly dumbfounded that he would say that.

DABIGCHEEZ

Last week, a captain of one of the friendship boats told a family in front of us that "alligators aren't in the manmade waterways at Disneyworld." I guess he forgot about the tragedy in the seven seas lagoon...or any of the other removals. We were utterly dumbfounded that he would say that.

The old company line...we were told that years ago on the boat from OKW to DTD. I know he was stating it so not to panic anyone, but I called BS right away.

AEfx

Karma was very devastating to that family that day.

That's a sick statement. The signs said "no swimming, please". The kid wasn't swimming. Do you even know what the word "karma" means? Your posts are so riddled with improper uses of words and misspellings that I'm thinking you aren't a native English speaker - even so, you really should not talk about such serious things without knowing what they mean.

Jedi Stitch

That's a sick statement. The signs said "no swimming, please". The kid wasn't swimming. Do you even know what the word "karma" means? Your posts are so riddled with improper uses of words and misspellings that I'm thinking you aren't a native English speaker - even so, you really should not talk about such serious things without knowing what they mean.
Thank you for your opinion. Thank you for pointing out my short coming from my small town USA graduating class of 88 combined school,
that spent more time trying to make us farmers,machinist, loggers then general academia. Thank you for taking a portion of my writing out of context and then blow it up. You could have added the rest of what I wrote. Again, Thank you for your opinion. Could you please spell check me, as well as grammar and subject agreement, because you must an English Professor with a PHD, and therefor qualified to publicly berate people of their English skills. Sorry I could not double space for you.

AEfx

Thank you for your opinion. Thank you for pointing out my short coming from my small town USA graduating class of 88 combined school,
that spent more time trying to make us farmers,machinist, loggers then general academia. Thank you for taking a portion of my writing out of context and then blow it up. You could have added the rest of what I wrote. Again, Thank you for your opinion. Could you please spell check me, as well as grammar and subject agreement, because you must an English Professor with a PHD, and therefor qualified to publicly berate people of their English skills. Sorry I could not double space for you.

Oh please...I was actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't take anything out of context. You said, "Karma was very devastating to that family that day."

"Karma" is another way of saying "you reap what you sow", or that they were getting payback for past sins.

As I said originally, be very careful of using terms you don't understand, unless you meant to say "they deserved it", which is what you said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom