Alligators captured at Disney doubles

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We had a problem with deer and it was man made. Basically people planted a bunch of stuff that the deer liked and they were well feed. Instead of forest there was more open land not a huge amount but more food for the deer. Just the highway that goes out to I-95 in effect becomes a 20 miles stretch of 50 foot on each side of grazing area. It gets sun and grows grass, the deer come out at night and eat it. I almost always drive past deer at night. The problem became all the deer/car collisions. One area called Sea Pines had a 173 deer strikes in one year. Maybe 2,000 acres complete with a forest preserve. The answer was not gun happy people but something had to be done since the deer were just over running them. They ended up setting up a once a year deer cull. Professional hunters in specific places would shoot a certain amount of deer to keep the population in check. First year was something like 134, next year the number came down to 109 and it went down for a few years and now they shoot something like 30 a year which is enough to keep the population in check, everyone is happy. The tree huggers threw a fit at first but now no one cares because it works. That idea of culling deer has made it's way into more local communities. The deer meat all goes to charity etc. so it is eaten.

The other problem with all the deer is they make great alligator food. That's what the big guys eat. Again another man made problem. Many lagoons and waterways have been built to control water which is prefect for alligators. An alligator doesn't live in the middle of a forest or a swamp unless there is some deep water. Again, man made waterways, man made deer population explosion and illegal to hunt alligators unless it has become a problem then a state certified hunter to be called in. As the deer population came down in areas so did the alligator population because the big gators kill small ones over territory.

You can't let the wild life over run you thinking it's good for them. Basically man created the best situation for them so I don't see why man can't control their population?
In Pennsylvania, the deer have organized and are conducting suicide attacks on vehicles driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
http://www.sharonherald.com/news/st...cle_c09622b6-9846-11e5-af24-cb17e793cc06.html
http://www.wfmz.com/news/police-ide...ed-through-windshield-on-pa-turnpike/18323385
http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-t-turnpike-deer-crash-20160423-story.html

disneyC97

Spent my honeymoon @ the Contemporary Resort in 1977 swimming was allowed in the Lagoon then. Was given upon check in a copy of Disney World News paper (8 page still have) in it WDW touts the beautiful beaches for swimming and boat rental. What year they stopped allowing swimming don't know.
The GF opened in 1988 as the “Grand Floridian Beach Resort.” I was there Thanksgiving 1988 and swimming was allowed. I would say by the 1990 openings of the EPCOT area resorts swimming was no longer allowed but others on here may know exactly when.

GCTales

Let's see, you live in a city and think meat magically appears at the store? Restaurants? Didn't hear you claiming to be a vegan?

You mean it doesn't??

image.jpeg

Oh.. And being from Just north of the Philadelphia area... I (and my car) can personally attest to the suicide attacking deer... Don't get me started on wild turkeys...

Pixieish

You mean it doesn't??

View attachment 241981

Oh.. And being from Just north of the Philadelphia area... I (and my car) can personally attest to the suicide attacking deer... Don't get me started on wild turkeys...

Wild turkeys ALWAYS show up in my yard right before Thanksgiving...it's like they WANT me to cook them. (Even funnier...we live in Pilgrim country! Seriously though, Turkeys are so dumb I'm amazed they haven't gone extinct. They'll walk right onto a highway during rush-hour, cross the busiest street in town single file - almost causing a multiple-car pileup...I could go on.)

John park hopper

Wild turkeys ALWAYS show up in my yard right before Thanksgiving...it's like they WANT me to cook them. (Even funnier...we live in Pilgrim country! Seriously though, Turkeys are so dumb I'm amazed they haven't gone extinct. They'll walk right onto a highway during rush-hour, cross the busiest street in town single file - almost causing a multiple-car pileup...I could go on.)

I wish turkeys were dumb, come hunting season I think their IQ jumps to 180. They have outsmarted me more than once--- oh crap may be I'm dumber than a turkey

Pixieish

I wish turkeys were dumb, come hunting season I think their IQ jumps to 180. They have outsmarted me more than once--- oh crap may be I'm dumber than a turkey
In all seriousness though...I was riding as a passenger on the highway in a truck doing about 70mph. Another pickup pulls up to our left and starts to pass us and POOOOOF!!!!! Giant cloud of feathers because the dude hit a turkey while he was doing at least 75. I'd be AMAZED if it didn't damage his grill...turkeys aren't small by any stretch.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

They've joined those dang squirrels from the GEICO commercials. You know, the ones that run into the road to make a driver swerve to avoid hitting them and run into a tree....And High Five when it happens...

jaklgreen

It would be unreasonable for folks from the Midwest to understand the danger of wading around bodies of water in Florida at night

I can't agree with you on this statement. We live a couple of miles from that family and we know there are alligators and snakes in Florida. All of the people that I have talked to since this event all knew there were alligators in the water in Florida. Maybe 30 years ago when information was not as easy to obtain you might have had a point. But with everything you could possible want to know at your fingertips, there is no excuse to plead ignorance. Plus the "midwest" is in the same country as Florida and the locals are pretty much all literate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Think turkeys are dumb...
635814153910780793-1282820597_Geese.jpg

If geese weren't federally protected, my home town would be feasting on oie de la rue just about every day...

Pixieish

Think turkeys are dumb...
635814153910780793-1282820597_Geese.jpg

If geese weren't federally protected, my home town would be feasting on oie de la rue just about every day...
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: We have them too!!! Fortunately for us, we have lakes and ponds everywhere, so they aren't as much of a nuisance as the turkeys are.

Grimley1968

There is a flock of wild turkeys (no, not in my liquor cabinet) that have constantly migrated between multiple woodsy areas in different directions from my house, and this flock has been around since we moved into our house 4 years ago. I think there are insects that can run mental circles around these turkeys. Even during hunting season they will move around in broad daylight, often stopping to forage in the middle of the streets in my neighborhood. I'll drive up behind them and literally have to drive around the birds to avoid running over someone's eventual Thanksgiving meal. I'll honk my horn at them and they just stare at me blankly, not bothering to scatter out of harm's way. I truly can't understand how that flock has managed to survive all these years.

John park hopper

There is a flock of wild turkeys (no, not in my liquor cabinet) that have constantly migrated between multiple woodsy areas in different directions from my house, and this flock has been around since we moved into our house 4 years ago. I think there are insects that can run mental circles around these turkeys. Even during hunting season they will move around in broad daylight, often stopping to forage in the middle of the streets in my neighborhood. I'll drive up behind them and literally have to drive around the birds to avoid running over someone's eventual Thanksgiving meal. I'll honk my horn at them and they just stare at me blankly, not bothering to scatter out of harm's way. I truly can't understand how that flock has managed to survive all these years.

Pretty smart on the part on the turkeys they know no one is going to shoot them in the middle of the street or in a neighborhood with houses close by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom