Alligators captured at Disney doubles

Pixieish

I have very conflicting feelings on the whole thing. I understand the reasoning behind stepping up the number of alligators they capture, but I'm also from Massachusetts and here we don't even put our toes in water where there are signs that say no swimming (they don't usually state the reason there's no swimming, but it's usually either because of bacteria or snapping turtles - we like to keep our toes attached to our feet and not get sick).

21stamps

I have very conflicting feelings on the whole thing. I understand the reasoning behind stepping up the number of alligators they capture, but I'm also from Massachusetts and here we don't even put our toes in water where there are signs that say no swimming (they don't usually state the reason there's no swimming, but it's usually either because of bacteria or snapping turtles - we like to keep our toes attached to our feet and not get sick).

There’s too many alligators in Florida. Let them trap as many as possible.

Pixieish

There’s too many alligators in Florida. Let them trap as many as possible.

Oh, I agree. There are bazillions of them - to quote my kid, lol. I don't feel bad for the gators...heck, eat 'em and make purses out of 'em to your hearts content. I'm not all PETA-ish when it comes to stuff like this...I love me some Bambi or Wilbur (venison or bacon) for dinner. I'm more worried about the dumbing down of society and our need to constantly protect people from themselves out of fear that they'll sue US for THEIR choices and be awarded a ridiculous prize by a judge who probably should no longer be serving anyway. For example, even when provided photographic evidence that a woman drove over the white line dividing street from shoulder, effectively leaving the lane of travel when she broadsided my car, the judge still ruled in her favor because we were turning left. Stupidity at its finest.

God, I am way too tired. When I read this thread title, I swear to you my thought was, "Disney was holding a tennis match, and it got invaded by alligators?" Go ahead and laugh at me - I deserve it!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Happens to me ALL THE TIME!!! And my brain tries to figure out the logic of the person who wrote the ridiculousness my brain translated a perfectly normal sentence to!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Disney does a great job of trapping the gators when they are reported but there are a bunch of them. I can remember in the 70s as a child staying at FW you could go on an after dark gator walk. It was like a dollar a person to walk down a plank path out to the swamp. It did have chicken wire sides that were about 18 inches tall. A CM with a flash light led it. What I am trying to say is the gators are part of Florida. Yes Disney has had a lot more catch and release this year. The whole state had a lot more gator complaints. No clue what the reason is but I have no doubt it is global warming :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I fault Disney for their minimal signage that was in no way sufficient to warn people about the real dangers of wading in the water on a well-kept beach, I'm surprised by this article that it never came out at the time of the tragic death that Disney was limited by law as to how many gators they could catch and relocate.

Pixieish

While I fault Disney for their minimal signage that was in no way sufficient to warn people about the real dangers of wading in the water on a well-kept beach, I'm surprised by this article that it never came out at the time of the tragic death that Disney was limited by law as to how many gators they could catch and relocate.

Agreed on your second point - if I recall, I had to dig to find actual numbers in regards to annual deaths/attacks as well. It was nice to see that the permit can be re-issued with a greater number if necessary, though.

deeevo

In my lifetime in Florida I can say that I have seen 1000 times more alligators than deer but you can only hunt alligators
if you win a lottery and pay $300 per permit fee with a limit of 2. If I hunt deer I just need a license and a permit and I can take 2 per day in season. I know that gators were endangered back in the 60's in Florida but there is an estimated 1.4 million gators in Florida and 700K deer. I think it is time they look at new hunting laws for gators. I will leave this pic here. This is Myakka State Park. About a 20 min drive from my house.

upload_2017-11-3_3-14-40.png

Nemo14

In my lifetime in Florida I can say that I have seen 1000 times more alligators than deer but you can only hunt alligators
if you win a lottery and pay $300 per permit fee with a limit of 2. If I hunt deer I just need a license and a permit and I can take 2 per day in season. I know that gators were endangered back in the 60's in Florida but there is an estimated 1.4 million gators in Florida and 700K deer. I think it is time they look at new hunting laws for gators. I will leave this pic here. This is Myakka State Park. About a 20 min drive from my house.

View attachment 241443

Myakka is one of our favorite Florida state parks. We've seen a lot of wildlife there - not just gators. My sister lives in Bradenton so we go there often when we're visiting her.

Prince-1

I still find it fascinating people use the "well I'm from *insert location* and we don't have any thing like this back home" as a viable excuse to be ignorant of local wildlife.

So someone who is visiting WDW from lets say...Ireland or Germany or even North Dakota should do research on dangerous indigenous animals that could pose harm to them?? That's what most people do when they visit Disney...said no one.

Pixieish

So someone who is visiting WDW from lets say...Ireland or Germany or even North Dakota should do research on dangerous indigenous animals that could pose harm to them?? That's what most people do when they visit Disney...said no one.

That's just plain irresponsible. Any area that attracts tourists has local societal dangers as well as potential wildlife dangers that you need to be aware of. I wouldn't just hop on a plane and go to Mexico, India, or Columbia...or really anywhere without at least a few quick Google searches to find out what is potentially dangerous.

DisAl

People also tend to forget (or don't know) that a mature alligator can outrun a man for a short distance.

DisAl

God, I am way too tired. When I read this thread title, I swear to you my thought was, "Disney was holding a tennis match, and it got invaded by alligators?" Go ahead and laugh at me - I deserve it!
A lot of us fit in this category. Here is one of my favorite sayings. ;)
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what you do not realize is that what I said is not what I meant.

janoimagine

I think if you travel anywhere outside your country (or inside for that matter) you should research whats around where your headed ... local customs, ext. I feel its ignorant to do otherwise. Case in point I had to go to Dubai recently and being from the US, I wanted to know what the local customs were ... weather, what kinds of critters I could run into ext. To me ... its just plain common sense.

righttrack

I still find it fascinating people use the "well I'm from *insert location* and we don't have any thing like this back home" as a viable excuse to be ignorant of local wildlife.

I think WDW not putting up signs was the only issue. Now that they do, there should be no reason people are not aware.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom