Alligators captured at Disney doubles

Prince-1

Yeah we should just throw out the idea of personal responsibility completely. It should always be up to someone else to keep us safe and cared for....

Good twisting of words except not what I was saying. However it is the responsibility of Disney to make sure they do everything in their power to not only inform people that the lakes that are everywhere on property most likely contains something that can kill you but also do what they can to prevent people from going into said lakes. They failed on both and a tragedy occurred that took a life of a small child.

Yep...stupid parents not taking responsibility by researching the wildlife dangers of Disney.

peter11435

This sounds great when arguing on a silly board like this but please do not tell me that when you or anyone else that has argued the same point visits a place like New York or California (for example) they actually Google the hazards of that place. Sorry not buying it. Sounds good to say (or write) on here but people do not think like that.
The fact that (some) people may not think like that is not an excuse. You know if you travel somewhere unfamiliar and you break a law you are still guilty even if you were unaware of the law you broke.

I'm not saying that Disney shouldn't warn its guests but the responsibility does not fall solely on them. People need to take responsibility as well. And yes when traveling to a new destination that I am unfamiliar with I most definitely make myself aware of dangerous hazards and requirements. Do I need a visa, do I need immunizations, are their local laws I need to be aware of, are their insects or animals I might need to protect against or avoid, types of currency I can use, criminal activity, danergous areas. These among others are all things that any traveler should consider when traveling somewhere foreign to them. A quick google search just now returned a list of things you should know before traveling to Florida and keeping your eyes peeled for critters including alligators was one of them.

Last edited:

peter11435

Good twisting of words except not what I was saying. However it is the responsibility of Disney to make sure they do everything in their power to not only inform people that the lakes that are everywhere on property most likely contains something that can kill you but also do what they can to prevent people from going into said lakes. They failed on both and a tragedy occurred that took a life of a small child.

Yep...stupid parents not taking responsibility by researching the wildlife dangers of Disney.
Disney had signs posted saying the beach was closed and swimming was not allowed. People choose to ignore those signs. Obviously the signs didn't at the time specifically say why you were not allowed to enter the water but they still prohibited it. Does a posted rule or law not apply to someone if it doesn't clearly state why the rule or law exists?

Goofyernmost

Disney had signs posted saying the beach was closed and swimming was not allowed. People choose to ignore those signs. Obviously the signs didn't at the time specifically say why you were not allowed to enter the water but they still prohibited it. Does a posted rule or law not apply to someone if it doesn't clearly state why the rule or law exists?
I remember years ago playing golf in So. Carolina. I came upon a pond on the course and there was a sign that said... "Please don't feed the Alligators" followed closely along side by one that said "Do not attempt to retrieve a ball from the water." Funny thing was they didn't have to tell me how to connect the two. I was able to do that on my own. Message received.

21stamps

The deer constantly ate my mother's begonias...my dad ended up making little chicken wire fences around the trees to prevent them nibbling.

We have deer in our neighborhood. One once managed to wander into my backyard one morning and then get confused on how to get out. Two made such a racket in my side yard in the wee hours of the morning, I thought there was a prowler trying to break in. Nope, just some deer eating my plants.

Bears have made appearances, but never in my part of town, at least not yet. And we are less than a mile from I-10.

This is in my backyard. About 25 ft from my deck. We have a family of 6 who visits daily.
8BDECC30-6DE8-4358-A7A0-643B45E945E2.jpeg

John park hopper

I remember taking a cruise to the Bahamas and everyone having to go through a life boat drill. May be WDW prior to entering WDW property all must attend a 30 min manditory presentation on the dangers of alligators, bears etc. since it seems there is an abundance of stupid in the world

Pixieish

So cute. But oh, so intent on eating all my lovely flowers. And facilitating the spread of Lyme disease. Bambi ain't that cute and innocent.

They really aren't. We know several people who developed full-blown lyme, and I'm pretty sure my husband and I each had it but it was not diagnosed properly. One of the people we know is elderly and it really, REALLY did a number on her...she'll live with the effects for the rest of her life.

Pixieish

I remember taking a cruise to the Bahamas and everyone having to go through a life boat drill. May be WDW prior to entering WDW property all must attend a 30 min manditory presentation on the dangers of alligators, bears etc. since it seems there is an abundance of stupid in the world

There is. Back in the day it was called natural selection.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Should they also put up signs saying "Warning: Water moccasins!" or "Warning: Bees!" or "Warning: Black Widows" or "Warning: Mosquitoes may have West Nile/Malaia/encephalitis/Zika" or "Warning: Squirrels may have rabies" or how about an all encompassing, "Warning: EVERYTHING WANTS TO KILL YOU IN FLORIDA!". If so, I can't believe no one has sued yet!

Actually yeah, they should have a sign that lists what potentially dangerous species they have on trails or in parks. Not everyone knows what a water moccasin looks like and if they get too close, that could spell disaster.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They really aren't. We know several people who developed full-blown lyme, and I'm pretty sure my husband and I each had it but it was not diagnosed properly. One of the people we know is elderly and it really, REALLY did a number on her...she'll live with the effects for the rest of her life.

One of the coaches at the university I worked had two of his three kids diagnosed with Lymes. His daughter was okay. But his son wasn't caught until the kid started exhibiting crazy behavior. People thought it was drugs. But his wife persisted and finally found a doctor at Mayo that helped them. Poor kid will be on medication for the rest of his life. And he was a young, healthy 21 year old athlete. Had to drop out of school since it affected his ability to concentrate. His dad felt so bad about what happened, he sold the family cabin up in North Carolina. He and his son enjoyed hunting and he's sure that's when his son contracted the disease. From what I've read, not everyone ends up with the telltale rash.

Pixieish

One of the coaches at the university I worked had two of his three kids diagnosed with Lymes. His daughter was okay. But his son wasn't caught until the kid started exhibiting crazy behavior. People thought it was drugs. But his wife persisted and finally found a doctor at Mayo that helped them. Poor kid will be on medication for the rest of his life. And he was a young, healthy 21 year old athlete. Had to drop out of school since it affected his ability to concentrate. His dad felt so bad about what happened, he sold the family cabin up in North Carolina. He and his son enjoyed hunting and he's sure that's when his son contracted the disease. From what I've read, not everyone ends up with the telltale rash.

That is 100% correct. The bullseye doesn't appear in every case. It's a terrible disease, and unfortunately some people don't believe in using insect repellant with DEET, so we'll likely see an increase in Lyme over time.

AEfx

Yeah we should just throw out the idea of personal responsibility completely. It should always be up to someone else to keep us safe and cared for....

Do you guys hear yourselves, or do you just have a macro to spout the same stuff no matter what the context?

No one reasonably believes in personal responsibility more than I do. But to say this like a blanket statement on this topic, and to completely ignore all the context relating to the WDW resort, is just asinine.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Bears, other than the anamatronic or CM ones, are one of the few animals I've not seen at WDW. Rabbits, squirrels, deer, gators, raccoons, armadillos (one ran across the race course during the Dark Side Half in April, several young women screamed. :rolleyes:), snakes, like the black one that slithered across the sidewalk at WL (I stopped dead cold. Black snake in Florida means water moccasin to me), ducks, geese, those annoying seagulls at WS that dive bombed me for a piece of fish I was holding, turkeys and buzzards.

Perhaps just a phamplet in the resort rooms informing guests of the various wildlife on property and to not be stupid. After all, there are signs around property, especially in AK, telling you to not feed the wildlife....

Last edited:

Pixieish

Do you guys hear yourselves, or do you just have a macro to spout the same stuff no matter what the context?

No one reasonably believes in personal responsibility more than I do. But to say this like a blanket statement on this topic, and to completely ignore all the context relating to the WDW resort, is just asinine.

I think it's reasonable to say that *most* of us don't blame Disney or the parents for what happened and are commenting on prevailing societal attitudes and the general dumbing down of society as a whole.

AEfx

I think it's reasonable to say that *most* of us don't blame Disney or the parents for what happened and are commenting on prevailing societal attitudes and the general dumbing down of society as a whole.

That's a bit different from the quote I was replying to, who was directly replying to a quote about WDW.

Except people aren’t visiting a swamp they are visiting WDW and I would guess that the majority of people who visit for the first time have no clue it was once a swamp which is why it is incumbent on Disney to educate and inform it’s guests.

AEfx

And yes, those numbers are valid. 23 deaths over 69 years is insignificant when compared to other dangers with higher death rates.

Your statements simply contradict each other.

You acknowledge greater "encroachment" on their territory as time goes on, but refuse to acknowledge the well-known scientific fact that any species with their temperament will become more aggressive over time as their habituation to being near humans continues.

WDW wasn't there in 1946. What has happened is that because of people feeding them, and the general "country club" environment that Disney created with the SSL for them, if WDW were not stepping up as they are to reduce the numbers of gators on their property, the attacks would increase in number. This was a warning sign that the issue was getting progressively worse, not a freak chance occurrence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom