Alligators captured at Disney doubles

DisAl

When it comes to signs, maybe something like this would get more attention than the standard "Danger" sign.
Danger.jpg

Rumrunner

In my lifetime in Florida I can say that I have seen 1000 times more alligators than deer but you can only hunt alligators
if you win a lottery and pay $300 per permit fee with a limit of 2. If I hunt deer I just need a license and a permit and I can take 2 per day in season. I know that gators were endangered back in the 60's in Florida but there is an estimated 1.4 million gators in Florida and 700K deer. I think it is time they look at new hunting laws for gators. I will leave this pic here. This is Myakka State Park. About a 20 min drive from my house.

View attachment 241443
Just seeing this picture is disturbing.

John park hopper

Live in a small coastal town in SC we have fresh water creek that starts in the National Forest and turns to a tidal creek, bridge goes over it into our development. Have had 3 gators under the bridge for monhs a 5 footer and 2- 3 footers. We all know thay are there and no one bothers them and they don't bother us. SC like FL has a gator hunting permit lottery. Our gators are computer illiterate

Last edited:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Did anyone else zone in on the fact that the catchers are only paid $30 per alligator? Talk about not being paid your worth..sheesh!

John park hopper

New reality show "Swamp People go Disney" get the cast from Louisiana Swamp People and they can dress as Disney characters and trap gators in WDW with nightly weighins at Fort Wildrness dock. Disney could do an upcharge for a Ft Wilderness gator tail fry buffet. I'm just joking

AEfx

Society in general has lost the concept of personal responsibility and this includes at WDW.
It is WDW's responsibility to warn against and prevent hazards.

Well, progress - at least you are admitting that.

That's why they have long worked to remove gators from property and why they have signs posted saying the beaches are closed and not to enter.

Here is where your argument loses credibility in terms of WDW, because WDW beaches have never been "closed". Have you never seen any of the promotional materials for any of the monorail resorts that show families enjoying the beach? They had "no swimming" signs, which is a far different thing. They certainly were not encouraging folks to stay any distance away from the SSL, only to not go swimming in it. I mean, come on - they built those freaking teepee things out there for people to sleep in on top of that water not long before this happened. They host barbecues on them, etc.

If people ignore these warnings and enter anyway that's on them.

No one ignored any warnings in this case. The initial speculation was that the child entered the water but in the end, that is not what the investigation found. The child was playing near the water, and WDW has never had signs telling people not to be in proximity to it, simply not to enter it (or more accurately "swim" in it, which denotes being at least several feet into it).

WDW is very lucky in this case that the family chose not to pursue legal options, because it could have gotten quite messy due to the lack of warning given to guests, regardless of your personal opinion about people educating themselves with external sources about possible dangers on WDW's property.

peter11435

Here is where your argument loses credibility in terms of WDW, because WDW beaches have never been "closed". .

The signs (at least the ones at the Polynesian) very clearly said "this beach is closed" followed by "no swimming allowed." We can debate the definition of 'beach' and 'closed' and 'swimming' but that is what the signage said. Some signage just reads "no swimming" but that should be enough of a red flag. If a door says "do not enter" im not going to open it even if it doesn't list the exact hazard on the other side.

No current Disney marketing shows guests in the the water.

I've never seen a report that said for certain the child was not in the water. If there is one it's news to me. The reports I've seen including from witness have been that he was playing in the water along the shore.

Since no legal action was pursued we can't really speculate about what may have come out in court. It could have gotten quite messy for both sides depending on the circumstances.

John park hopper

Spent my honeymoon @ the Contemporary Resort in 1977 swimming was allowed in the Lagoon then. Was given upon check in a copy of Disney World News paper (8 page still have) in it WDW touts the beautiful beaches for swimming and boat rental. What year they stopped allowing swimming don't know.

Pixieish

Spent my honeymoon @ the Contemporary Resort in 1977 swimming was allowed in the Lagoon then. Was given upon check in a copy of Disney World News paper (8 page still have) in it WDW touts the beautiful beaches for swimming and boat rental. What year they stopped allowing swimming don't know.

I would imagine that it was around the time the boy died from the amoeba he got while swimming at River Country...either that or when the law was passed in regards to untreated water and commercially run recreation.

TeriofTerror

Well, when alligators were less omnipresent, the risk factor was less significant. ;)

AEfx

The signs (at least the ones at the Polynesian) very clearly said "this beach is closed" followed by "no swimming allowed." We can debate the definition of 'beach' and 'closed' and 'swimming' but that is what the signage said. Some signage just reads "no swimming" but that should
be enough of a red flag. If a door says "do not enter" im not going to open it even if it doesn't list the exact hazard on the other side.

Here is an article about the previous signage, including pictures. Little signs saying "No Swimming Please" with an image of someone doing the crawl stroke - swimming. They didn't warn of any danger of proximity. They didn't appear to reflect any danger whatsoever, more like courtesy "stay off the grass" signs.

160615084939-disney-no-swim-exlarge-169.jpg

No current Disney marketing shows guests in the the water.

I guess we do have to define those words for you, because while you may believe them to be muddy, they aren't.

The "beach" is where the sand is.

"Swimming" is when you get into the water and propel yourself through it.

Disney marketing surely shows families on the beach, which is where this family was. They host movies and events on the same beach.

I've never seen a report that said for certain the child was not in the water. If there is one it's news to me. The reports I've seen including from witness have been that he was playing in the water along the shore.

According to authorities, he was bent over scooping up water/wet sand near the edge. There is no indication that he was "swimming" or entered the water whatsoever.

Since no legal action was pursued we can't really speculate about what may have come out in court. It could have gotten quite messy for both sides depending on the circumstances.

Well, certainly we can - that's why it's called "speculation".

But we don't even have to - legal experts have. Had it been litigated, it would have come down to the signage - which likely would not be deemed adequate by politely asking people not to swim. And Disney clearly knew that there were gators there, which would be the only other defense.

Then there is also the fact that they took six alligators out in the days before, four of which were larger than six feet - 50% longer than the size at which they deem them to be dangerous.

Not to mention, that at least two people spotted the gator in the area and alerted Disney about it before it happened, and Disney had no "clear the beach" policy or procedure in place when such reports are made.

So yeah, it's hard to see where Disney wouldn't have taken it from behind legally on this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom