Alligators captured at Disney doubles

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No one is saying they should "eradicate all" of anything.

It's dramatics like this that are why environmental and ecological issues are often not taken seriously, or why so many people just roll their eyes and dismiss it all as hippy-dippy bullcrap.

Well, if you are so educated on animal issues, you know that citing those numbers isn't really valid when you take into account that the habituation of them is only getting worse. This is a particular problem that Disney has, as they basically created a country club for them with the SSL. And given Disney uses professionals to get rid of them, I don't think there is any danger of them being confused with American crocs. So since no one is saying to eradicate the species, and Disney isn't in any danger of getting rid of the wrong ones, I'm not quite sure who your rant is supposed to apply to.

Statements like this

There’s too many alligators in Florida. Let them trap as many as possible.

Re-read my post. I clearly stated why hunters are licensed. And yes, those numbers are valid. 23 deaths over 69 years is insignificant when compared to other dangers with higher death rates.

There were 34 shark attacks in Florida last year - Florida leads in the number of attacks. Should we start hunting sharks to reduce their numbers? Because certain species have already been decimated due to hunting and harvesting for food/medicine.

The return of the American alligator from near extinction is one of the successes of the ESA. But as with many large, efficient predators, as humans continue to encroach on theur habitat, conflicts will increase. And after a tragedy like what happened at Disney, I've read too many calls to get rid of alligators.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Should they also put up signs saying "Warning: Water moccasins!" or "Warning: Bees!" or "Warning: Black Widows" or "Warning: Mosquitoes may have West Nile/Malaia/encephalitis/Zika" or "Warning: Squirrels may have rabies" or how about an all encompassing, "Warning: EVERYTHING WANTS TO KILL YOU IN FLORIDA!". If so, I can't believe no one has sued yet!

Disney does not exist in a bubble or control the natural environment. Disney does not encourage people to swim in the lakes on property. We take risk every time we walk outside. Or even every time we walk inside. Things exist that can harm us, survival of the fittest/smartest/fastest/etc is real.

You forgot Warning snapping turtles may remove your finger and Warning armadillos carry leprosy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sharks have made a big come back as well. At least along the east coast. With the seal population coming bcak strong even the white sharks are coming back big time.

There is a reason why people killed off certain animals in the past. It's not always good to bring them back. People who live in cities don't care because those animals won't be wandering through a city. City people also want to take away peoples guns because why would you need a gun? If you have dangerous animal in your back yard there is a reason for a gun. We have coyotes showing up now and they aren't afraid of town. No such thing as a fun loving wild dog. I can only hope wolves show up next.

People killed off species in the past due to competition for habitat and threats to livestock. Buffalos were slaughtered and their numbers significantly reduced to impact Native Americans and open grazing for a non indigenous species - cattle. I disagree this was beneficial from an ecological viewpoint.

I doubt you'll see wolves in cities. They are not as bold a canine as a coyote - I saw one trotting down my street one afternoon. Grew up in the canyons around LA, so I'm familiar with both coyotes and mountain lions...and rattlers.

21stamps

Statements like this

Re-read my post. I clearly stated why hunters are licensed. And yes, those numbers are valid. 23 deaths over 69 years is insignificant when compared to other dangers with higher death rates.

There were 34 shark attacks in Florida last year - Florida leads in the number of attacks. Should we start hunting sharks to reduce their numbers? Because certain species have already been decimated due to hunting and harvesting for food/medicine.

The return of the American alligator from near extinction is one of the successes of the ESA. But as with many large, efficient predators, as humans continue to encroach on theur habitat, conflicts will increase. And after a tragedy like what happened at Disney, I've read too many calls to get rid of alligators.

I didn’t see your original post.. just commented on the thread title.

My reasons for the alligators don’t have anything to do with Disney.. I just think that a real hunting season should be allowed.

They have multiplied and multiplied.. and more communities are being built on gator territory.
I know it sounds heartless, but I’m A-OK with adult gators being killed.. and used for food, shoes, and handbags.

I don’t blame the Disney attack on Disney, the Parents, the City, the State, or anyone else.
It was a freak accident that could have happened regardless if more gators were hunted or not. Sometimes a situation is No One’s fault.
I do blame Disney for all of the stupid fences and signs that have gone up..but I’ve complained about that enough on this site.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I didn’t see your original post.. just commented on the thread title.

My reasons for the alligators don’t have anything to do with Disney.. I just think that a real hunting season should be allowed.

They have multiplied and multiplied.. and more communities are being built on gator territory.
I know it sounds heartless, but I’m A-OK with adult gators being killed.. and used for food, shoes, and handbags.

I don’t blame the Disney attack on Disney, the Parents, the City, the State, or anyone else.
It was a freak accident that could have happened regardless if more gators were hunted or not. Sometimes a situation is No One’s fault.
I do blame Disney for all of the stupid fences and signs that have gone up..but I’ve complained about that enough on this site.

Sadly, that's pervasive throughout - signage, that is. "Warning, your coffee will be hot"

21stamps

Sadly, that's pervasive throughout - signage, that is. "Warning, your coffee will be hot"

Completely agree.

I believe that if this would have happened 30 years ago, then we wouldn’t have ended up with all of the new decorations and warning signs. No way to know for sure.. but it’s how I honestly feel.

Pixieish

I wouldn't even think of those two animals but what you say could happen. Aren't snapping turtles just about everywhere? Seems like everyone would know about those? We shoot armadillos on sight, nothing useful about that animal and they aren't native to my area.

Snapping turtles are pretty much everywhere. It can be -14 here in the winter and we have them in abundance.

Pixieish

People killed off species in the past due to competition for habitat and threats to livestock. Buffalos were slaughtered and their numbers significantly reduced to impact Native Americans and open grazing for a non indigenous species - cattle. I disagree this was beneficial from an ecological viewpoint.

I doubt you'll see wolves in cities. They are not as bold a canine as a coyote - I saw one trotting down my street one afternoon. Grew up in the canyons around LA, so I'm familiar with both coyotes and mountain lions...and rattlers.

We have coyotes invading suburbia up where I am in the Northeast...people know not to let small pets out at night. I live 1/4 mile from a HUGE state forest, so the issue isn't as prevalent where I am, but we do see evidence of them on the regular. It's really spooky when you can hear them calling to each other. Another semi-recent thing are deer - even in heavily populated areas (not the actual cities though). Again, you have to be looking to see them where I am, but the evidence is there. They love my hostas.

Pixieish

Completely agree.

I believe that if this would have happened 30 years ago, then we wouldn’t have ended up with all of the new decorations and warning signs. No way to know for sure.. but it’s how I honestly feel.

I don't think we would have seen the huge jump in signage either. But that was a different age where common sense was more common and judges actually expected people to have it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We have coyotes invading suburbia up where I am in the Northeast...people know not to let small pets out at night. I live 1/4 mile from a HUGE state forest, so the issue isn't as prevalent where I am, but we do see evidence of them on the regular. It's really spooky when you can hear them calling to each other. Another semi-recent thing are deer - even in heavily populated areas (not the actual cities though). Again, you have to be looking to see them where I am, but the evidence is there. They love my hostas.

The deer constantly ate my mother's begonias...my dad ended up making little chicken wire fences around the trees to prevent them nibbling.

We have deer in our neighborhood. One once managed to wander into my backyard one morning and then get confused on how to get out. Two made such a racket in my side yard in the wee hours of the morning, I thought there was a prowler trying to break in. Nope, just some deer eating my plants.

Bears have made appearances, but never in my part of town, at least not yet. And we are less than a mile from I-10.

Pixieish

The deer constantly ate my mother's begonias...my dad ended up making little chicken wire fences around the trees to prevent them nibbling.

We have deer in our neighborhood. One once managed to wander into my backyard one morning and then get confused on how to get out. Two made such a racket in my side yard in the wee hours of the morning, I thought there was a prowler trying to break in. Nope, just some deer eating my plants.

Bears have made appearances, but never in my part of town, at least not yet. And we are less than a mile from I-10.

I think my favorite of nature's intruders has been the grey foxes. They're curious little buggers and we've spotted them spying on us while we do bonfires. They hang out around 20-30 feet away and just watch. They also have a very specific route they take amongst all the houses every night and they look at you like "what are YOU doing here" if you're out when they're trying to follow it. I haven't heard of bear sightings super close to us, but with the state forest so close (and huge - 19 square miles), and with the open land the town owns and preserves I would really be surprised if there aren't at least a few bears around.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think my favorite of nature's intrudes has been the grey foxes. They're curious little buggers and we've spotted them spying on us while we do bonfires. They hang out around 20-30 feet away and just watch. They also have a very specific route they take amongst all the houses every night and they look at you like "what are YOU doing here" if you're out when they're trying to follow it. I haven't heard of bear sightings super close to us, but with the state forest so close (and huge - 19 square miles), and with the open land the town owns and preserves I would really be surprised if there aren't at least a few bears around.

You'll know..your trash scattered everywhere, along with your destroyed trash can will let you know. The problem with bears and trash barrels has gotten so bad in parts of town, Waste Pro now provides bear proof trash barrels for customers. And I'm sure there's a bear out there that will figure out how to get into one.

Pixieish

You'll know..your trash scattered everywhere, along with your destroyed trash can will let you know. The problem with bears and trash barrels has gotten so bad in parts of town, Waste Pro now provides bear proof trash barrels for customers. And I'm sure there's a bear out there that will figure out how to get into one.

Just for curiosity's sake - I checked. There are bears and apparently a few moose, too. o_O

EDIT: Which is crazy when you think about it...we're just outside of Cape Cod. I wonder if they follow the woods all along the highways to get here as there's not really an abundance of open land between here and anywhere else.

Prince-1

So we should eradicate one of Florida's native species because visitors from Ireland and Germany might not know about alligators?

Plan on finding gators in any and every body of water in Florida, both rural and urban, including Disney.

First, great way of twisting my words. You are truly a master debater. Second, I was saying it is quite ignorant to think people from all over the world know about Florida’s gator population and even more asinine to think that people visiting WDW would think there is a legitimate chance that they can be attacked by one. Now...twist away.

Prince-1

Yes, they should. I'm not saying they need to spend hours doing meticulous research but it doesn't take much effort to educate yourself about the dangers lurking in the swampy waters

Except people aren’t visiting a swamp they are visiting WDW and I would guess that the majority of people who visit for the first time have no clue it was once a swamp which is why it is incumbent on Disney to educate and inform it’s guests.

peter11435

Except people aren’t visiting a swamp they are visiting WDW and I would guess that the majority of people who visit for the first time have no clue it was once a swamp which is why it is incumbent on Disney to educate and inform it’s guests.
Yeah we should just throw out the idea of personal responsibility completely. It should always be up to someone else to keep us safe and cared for....

Prince-1

It's pretty ignorant of people not to research some basic hazards of a foreign (to them) location they are visiting.

This sounds great when arguing on a silly board like this but please do not tell me that when you or anyone else that has argued the same point visits a place like New York or California (for example) they actually Google the hazards of that place. Sorry not buying it. Sounds good to say (or write) on here but people do not think like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom