Alligator in the water around tom sawyers island....

prberk

Great pics everyone.

I will have to keep my eyes open when I am at WDW for the Fourth of July weekend! I wonder if the gators are patriotic?

(And I wonder what they think of all the fireworks, etc., at WDW? Hmmm..... :animwink: )

popkid

more pics (courtesy of my brother)

these were taken just a few days ago...
27.jpg

28.jpg

JaSnake16

Did anyone that saw the gator notice that they have cast members following them when they pop up. I wonder if its just to see what they do or if they are making sure that they dont walk up that little hill by the Splash Mountain turn.

ori0les

The CM that was following the gator around when we were there said her job was to make sure no one was giving it food. Not sure where she was when there was nothing to see, but it seemed that everytime the alligator would show up, she would too!

tbell

ori0les said:
The CM that was following the gator around when we were there said her job was to make sure no one was giving it food. Not sure where she was when there was nothing to see, but it seemed that everytime the alligator would show up, she would too!
sheesh, that would be a fun job!! finally something I could do at the parks that doesn't require any kind of performing!! :wave:

raven

phlydude said:
They remove gators from the River of America all the time and relocate them throughout the property.

Um... :veryconfu What do you mean? Do they divide them up between resorts or something? Or maybe the package delivery takes them. I'd hate to come back to my room and find a gator on the bed. :lol:

phlydude

raven said:
Um... :veryconfu What do you mean? Do they divide them up between resorts or something? Or maybe the package delivery takes them. I'd hate to come back to my room and find a gator on the bed. :lol:

They take them out of the river and re-locate them on other "preserve" lands on property. They don't put them in Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon.

Somehow, they seem to keep coming back though!

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last year and are planning to return this September. I noticed the "no swimming" signs at the beach, is this because of the alligators? Anybody ever see them in this area? :lookaroun

Snappy lives!!

While I was working there in fall 2003, my roomates and I named it snappy and would go visit it once in a while when we had the time. We'd also get mad at the guest who would feed it by nicely reminding them not to feed them those nasty turkey legs >_>; I swear, this family must've tossed most of thier afternoon food at snappy after I told them not to do so. The same thing with the back dining area at Peco's Bills. The sign clearly states not to feed the birds. What's the first thing people do? *shakes her head at the guests* One mother even sent her 5 year old son with a french fry in hand to feed the bird that was around there at the time. Anyhow yeah, I miss snappy. >>; lol

Journey

Snow White 610 said:
We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last year and are planning to return this September. I noticed the "no swimming" signs at the beach, is this because of the alligators? Anybody ever see them in this area? :lookaroun
I think the signs are there, because it is recycled water. I may be wrong, but I would not doubt if there are a critter or two in there!! lolololol

phlydude

Snow White 610 said:

Swimming is not allowed because there is a nasty little parasite ameoba bug that lives in Florida and thrives because it is so warm so much of the year. It lives under the top layer of mud/sand at the bottom of the lake/pond for the first 5 feet or so of depth. After that, the water is too cool and it can't survive.

Anyway, if you go swimming and inhale this ameoba (whether water going up your nose or in your mouth) it can get into your blood stream, plant itself in your brain and kill you in a couple days. You can get rid of it simply by blowing your nose after swimming but you don't want to chance it.

There have been reports of hearing the gators around the beach of Bay Lake during the mating season (the sand make a good place to nest) but other than that not too often.

I'm sure that there are the occasional gators here and there in all shallow water areas however they generally won't go after humans unless threatened.

responding to your quote

Stitchfan712 said:
That's pretty scary actually, with all the people and little kids around that area.

Isn't there a way they can build some kind of fence around WDW to keep gators out? A gator shouldn't be able to just walk into the park whenever it pleases...there should be something to prevent them from getting in at all. Gators can't crawl over tall fences.

40bb5c882bf74abe.jpg
40bb5e902de670e5.jpg
40bb5eb32df7529d.jpg
Walt Disney World was built on the gators home by the way. It is a swamp area and considering it is orlando, gators are everywhere. While working at the yacht and beach club resort last fall, the cast member parking lot, the guest parking lot and the area next to the pools all had gators walking about. If you pester them, I'm sure they'll attack. If you leave them alone, they'll be on thir way in thier own home. We shouldn't move any gators out of thier own habitats. x_X @ a gator being in the cast member parking lot behind the yacht club. That was not cool! They had to call animal control to get the gator to move back into it's swamp area next to the fence. But yeah, no need to remove the gators if it's us moving in. Besides, some of the guest ask for it when they start to feed the gators >_>;

mrtoad

First, thanks to Phlydude for pointing me to this post. A friend of mine was in WDW in May and had seen the gator by Splash.

I had read in one of my Disney books, I think "Since the World Began" that they have had problems for years with gators on Tom Sawyers Island. They would have to go out and "shoo" them off the docks in the morning as they would be sunning themselves out there.

Also it mentioned that they need to go out in the morning and remove rattlesnakes that sun themselves on Big Thunder Mt as well.

A little scary I would say.

Also just to touch on the dogs being eaten thing. I had read in a magazine a few years ago about a town in Florida somewhere where a lot of dogs had been missing. It was a richer town and it was assumed the dogs were being stolen as they were pure breads. Some woman put a radio collar on her dog to track it just in case. Sure enogh the dog dissapeared and the police tracked it to a gator living in a pond in the town that had eaten the dog. I think it was in the 10 to 12 foot size range.

That is very scary.

Trishnh

gator still there

we saw the gator at Disney when we were there in the end of June. A CM told me he was smart and they had not been able to catch him. When we first saw it it was in the water by the bridge to BTMRR, then in the afternoon we saw it again and it was coming up on land. A small crowd was gathering and it was only about 2 feet away then a CM noticed and was on her radio real quick! The gator took off and went back in the water. Kind of cool, I thought! :p

That story about the gardener was sad, though. :(

Ringo8n24

mrtoad said:
Also it mentioned that they need to go out in the morning and remove rattlesnakes that sun themselves on Big Thunder Mt as well.

That is a new one to me. Anyone care to elaborate on this one?

scottnj1966

gators get anywhere in florida

Dizneydude87 said:
Originally posted by Stitchfan712
That's pretty scary actually, with all the people and little kids around that area.

Isn't there a way they can build some kind of fence around WDW to keep gators out? A gator shouldn't be able to just walk into the park whenever it pleases...there should be something to prevent them from getting in at all. Gators can't crawl over tall fences. [/i]

How dare them enter the park without admision!! LMAO. J/k. ;)

No way to keep them out. They always seem to be in someones pool, grabbing a dog on the bank side, or even trying to snatch a person. Dont feed them ever, they get used to people and they get toooo close to you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom