Alligator in the water around tom sawyers island....

mrtoad

phlydude said:
Well he was standing in 3 feet of water during the months that the females protect the eggs...

No, I know that. I was not trying to suggest it was the alligators fault. It is it's home. I do not fault the gator at all. I feel bad they killed it, especially because it looks like they did it after the attack, not to stop it.

mrtoad

phlydude said:
oh no, wasn't suggesting anything by my comment. More like an educational post :lol:

No, I know. I think it is good you did so nobody just thinks they are monsters. Though, I do think the on in the MK should be relocated before it is too big. The bigger it gets, the harder it will be to remove and most likely more dangerous to move (at least I would think anyway). I live in NJ and we have lot of bear and sometimes they need to be relocated. They will dart them and move them. If they dart the aligator and it gets into the water it could drown. Do you think that is the case?

Trishnh

I think it is horrible that they killed the gator :( . He was in his own territory and if you live in Florida you MUST know that you are taking a risk anytime you are in ANY body of water. I agree that they should try & move the gator from MK but a few CMs told me they have been trying, and they come back.

Dolly1

I think it's terrible that they killed him. I thought WDW was all about preservation and then instead of relocating the gator they just kill it. If they couldn't catch it maybe they should've called in professionals or if they keep coming back maybe they should do something to stop them. Killing every one of them that gets in there isn't going to be a good solution. He didn't look all that big to me anyway. They had some pretty good pics of him on Orlandorocks.

http://www.orlandorocks.com/info.asp?attraction=frontierland&location=mk&type=Overview&sub=Photos&pg=1

Trishnh

Dolly1 said:
I think it's terrible that they killed him. I thought WDW was all about preservation and then instead of relocating the gator they just kill it. If they couldn't catch it maybe they should've called in professionals or if they keep coming back maybe they should do something to stop them. Killing every one of them that gets in there isn't going to be a good solution. He didn't look all that big to me anyway. They had some pretty good pics of him on Orlandorocks.

Disney didn't kill the gator. That was another story.

phlydude

Trishnh said:
Dolly1 said:

Yeah, the Lake County Sheriff called in a state contracted firm that handles these gators. I think that there is an unofficial policy that has gators killed once they attack humans.

I feel bad for the landscape lady, she wasn't in the water and the gator came out because it was so big. It probably wasn't getting enough food from the brids and other critters it catches.

As far as this latest guy goes, he was standing in 3 feet of water. He was clearing weeds. Gators are very protective of their nests, especially during incubation period. He apparently got a little too close to the nest.

From all the things I am reading about the Disney gator issue, this last one that is left is pretty smart. Disney will not kill the gator unless they absolutely have to (like if it were to go after children on Tom Sawyer Island). They want to catch him but he is catching on and knows who to run from. It doesn't help that idiots are throwing their left over turkey legs to the gator though. :brick:

GoofMaul

Trishnh said:
Dolly1 said:

And most likely it was a "her" that was killed not a "him", if she were protecting her eggs. :animwink:

Michael72688

TURKEY said:
I thought that any gator that actually attacked someone had to be killed.

yea, I'm pretty sure this is how it works, if a gator kills or attacts someone it is killed, if it doesnt do anything they just relocate it

mrtoad

phlydude said:
It doesn't help that idiots are throwing their left over turkey legs to the gator though. :brick:

People are not too smart. It is like the people who feed the birds in the MK. They wonder whey they are all over and then proceed to feed them their fries. If they would stop, eventually they will go away. Instead the swarm all over attacking people's food and dropping little "packages" everywhere. People need to think a little bit.

josh_e_washie

A few years ago my stepdad did some golfing at Osprey Ridge...apparently on the 8th there was a gator no more than 20ft from his ball. He got to it and sank it before the gator ate it though! :p

PhotoDave219

Well, adding something somewhat relevant here...... Few months ago i saw some British Tourists feeding a Gator behind Flame Tree BBQ. It was a small one. Of course, this results in having to capture and destroy the animal.

Computer Magic

Well, adding something somewhat relevant here...... Few months ago i saw some British Tourists feeding a Gator behind Flame Tree BBQ. It was a small one. Of course, this results in having to capture and destroy the animal.
you mean this one? Taken in the back of Flame Tree in Sept 2006. Why do they have to destroy? Why not capture and release?

Attachments

• Disney 450.jpg
    Disney 450.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 132

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom