Alligator in the water around tom sawyers island....

awallaceunc

I agree that an attack or anything like that is rather unlikely. However, it is possible- especially if kids, or even parents, assume it's an animatronic (and you know these people are out there).

You'd think that the small risk factor, when compared to the even smaller amount of required effort, would be enough to convince Disney that it's in their best interest to keep them out.

-Aaron

cloudboy

I have seen one in the Rivers of America a year or so ago, but it was pretty small apparently (i don't know for sure - I never saw an adult outside of a zoo before!). It was only maybe 4 feet long. It was hanging out by the walkway leading from the boat - it pretty much looked like it was just waiting for someone to trow it some food. Many tourists have probably never even seen an aligator before, so I bet a lot of people throw food to it, and it has learned to come there because it is a great eating spot. So it is probably the same one who found a whole somewhere to get in.

How would an aligator climb a fence?

MeTa

Original Poster
As soon as a duck landed in the water it turned and dissappeared in the water going after it, that made everyone think....

Dayma

Aligators in IASW? Thats why they closed it for the "REHAB". They are actually trying to get all them out but it has taken a turn for the worse and they might just demolish the ride!

Seriously....Gators are part of the Florida landscape/nature. You are not going to be able to keep them all out. They will find a way in but they are not "cold blooded" killers looking for out children.

Beauty and the

Originally posted by Stitchfan712
A gator shouldn't be able to just walk into the park whenever it pleases...there should be something to prevent them from getting in at all. Gators can't crawl over tall fences.

But what if it's an Annual Pass Holder ? :lol:

Stitchfan712

Originally posted by Beauty and the
A gator shouldn't be able to just walk into the park whenever it pleases...there should be something to prevent them from getting in at all. Gators can't crawl over tall fences.

But what if it's an Annual Pass Holder ? :lol:

But you see my point right?

There should be something to prevent these things from getting into the park at all. They just simply should not be in an area like WDW.

40bb5c882bf74abe.jpg
40bb5e902de670e5.jpg
40bb5eb32df7529d.jpg

joyDisney

I'm renting a house from Windsor Palms this summer and I read that gators are frequent in that area. That is why that have completely closed in area pools. Well, I guess in a gators mind we took their homes so they can invade ours....

Just a thought!

Poncho1973

Originally posted by cloudboy
Is the water in Spalsh (and other water rides) chlorinated? I can't imagine it would be that appealing (especially with all the sloshing around it does) to an alligator. I mean, tourists aren't on their main deitary list, are they?

Gators get in swimming pools all the time and they are chlorinated.

They are everywhere down here... but you have to remember... even a 6 foot gator is like 2.5/3 feet of tail, so it takes a pretty big gator to be big enough to get a person. They just aren't as threatening as it sounds... as was said... they are lazy feeders.

THAT SAID... I personally think they need to do some SERIOUS herd thinning of the gator population here in FL. Not only are they not endangered... they are running amuck.

Poncho1973

There should be something to prevent these things from getting into the park at all. They just simply should not be in an area like WDW.

You obviously don't live here. Gators seem to wiggle their way into just about anywhere.

DivineMadness7

Originally posted by Poncho1973
Not only are they not endangered... they are running amuck.
hahaha oh dear...maybe it's just because I watched one of my "Best of the Muppet Show" DVD's today that involved Elton John singing "Crocodile Rock" with dancing muppet crocodiles...but the mental picture of an alligator walking upright and "running amuck" just really got a chuckle out of me...

Anyways, I think we have a solution to this...

Give the responsible gators jobs over at the Jungle Cruise....:hammer:

edit: sorry, I apologize as this is a very serious problem, I just couldn't help myself!

civileng68

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DivineMadness7
...maybe it's just because I watched one of my "Best of the Muppet Show" DVD's today that involved Elton John singing "Crocodile " with dancing muppet crocodiles...

:lol:

phlydude

Even if there were fences all the way around the property, they would still make it in through the waterway connecting to the River of America. There is a canal that connects the river to an area behind the MK that is used to refurbish the boats. That in turn is connected to the Seven Seas Lagoon which is in turn connected to Bay Lake and numerous other streams and swampy areas. You can see all this by looking from the monorail as you go to the MK from the resort loop.

They can't just put a fence in the water, it wouldn't work that way. They probably do have a gate but the gators can get through that.

They remove gators from the River of America all the time and relocate them throughout the property.

But one thing is for certain, they always make their way back.

BalooChicago

Here's the Gator that was hanging out behind the Turkey leg stand accross from CBJ in early May.

IMG_1517_SM.jpg

IMG_1518_SM.jpg

People were tossing him Turkey, wonder why he seemed to like that spot :)

Dizneydude87

That's pretty scary actually, with all the people and little kids around that area.

Isn't there a way they can build some kind of fence around WDW to keep gators out? A gator shouldn't be able to just walk into the park whenever it pleases...there should be something to prevent them from getting in at all. Gators can't crawl over tall fences. [/i]

How dare them enter the park without admision!! LMAO. J/k. ;)

Maria

Wow... that´s a big gator! :eek:
Luckily, I never saw any while I lived there, but it definitely wouldn´t surprise me that there were more swimming in those waters. After all, as it has been said, they are everywhere in Florida!

...and yeah, as long as people feed them, why wouldn´t they come back? :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom